Bleeding with mirena - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-19-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a mirena IUD put in at the beginning of June. I spotted and spotted up until two or three weeks ago now (then again, I was having sex that whole time) I had sex again on Friday night and now I am spotting/bleeding again. Is this normal? I didn't get a period (just light spotting) at the end of July when I should have gotten my period.

I am just so sick of this bleeding. :
#2 of 11 Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 PM

I hate to say it but I had quite bit of bleeding after I had my Mirena inserted, I would say for at least two months. Which really ticked me off since I got the Mirena because I was tired of the breakthrough bleeding I was getting from the mini pill. But it did eventually stop and then I just used to get a monthly period. Some people are lucky enough to have bleeding stop altogether.

Hopefully you're on the tail end of the bleeding. From the reading I did, it seemed that extended spotting was in the realm of normal. But if it seems off to you, call your ob/midwife.

Jill
#3 of 11 Old 08-20-2007, 02:46 AM

I bled off and on for about 6-8 weeks after I got it inserted. It can take a while to normalize. I've had it for a year now and only had one other "period" like bleeding.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#4 of 11 Old 08-20-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

The bleeding I'm getting seems to be directly related to sex though. I was just wondering if this was normal?
#5 of 11 Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 PM

Hmm... I might give the ol' care provider a call and just ask. It is probably normal as long as you aren't having any pain and the bleeding isn't heavy. But always good to check it out, yk?

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#6 of 11 Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 AM

i spot after sex, and i also had it put in in june. i think it's pretty normal. my spotting always seems to go away a day or so after we dtd. hth
#7 of 11 Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 AM

I had spotting and bleeding for some months after I got my Mirena put in. I also can spot after sex, but not always. It has lessened over time. I've had mine for four years now.
#8 of 11 Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 AM

I have had mine for about 5 months and bleed continuously for 3 then spot quite often. Now I also bleed everytime we have sex. I hate this thing so bad my sex life has suffered alot. Makes me really uncomfortable. I also have extreme fatigue all day every day I feel like I could lay down and sleep all day even after doing something that would normally wake me up and get me moving, migranes on a daily basis I live on tylenol and now I don't think it is effective anymore, weight gain or bloating not sure which I just feel real fat and look like I am pregnant. and depression when everything is fine and I have no reasoning for feeling depressed and can't snap out of it, also very irritable and mood swings. I didn't put it all together until I started to ggogle some of things I was experiencing and found many others with the mirena also have. I really want to get it out but I don't know what to do I don't want to get pregnant I guess condoms and pull out but that just leaves me wondering all the time if the possibility is there. I have just had enough of this I have in a sense put my life on hold for this birth control and just can't handle it anymore. Anyways hope you don't have all the problems I am...
#9 of 11 Old 08-21-2007, 02:33 AM

Have you checked to make sure that the stings are still in place? Cause if not you might want to check that to make sure that it hasn't moved.

I haven't had any problem with mine. I bled the 1st 2 days then I have been fine after that. Sorry that you are having a hard time with it. But call your care provider if you are unsure.
#10 of 11 Old 08-21-2007, 02:35 AM

I actually have an appointment tommorow to have it removed.
#11 of 11 Old 08-21-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Me nor my partner has been able to find the strings. :S I can't get too far in because I have sensitive scar tissue from where I tore having my DD.

I have the most prosterior cervix in existance I think. Whenever I go for my pap or for whatever I always get comments on it. :

I called my doc and she's going to call me back. I do have an appointment on the 6th to have it 'checked' so I just might have it removed. Insurance covered it so I'm not really worried about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page