why is my cycle so long? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-28-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my cycle is 37 days long- what's up with that? I've been charting for the last 6 months and I've really learned a lot but I've found that I'm not ovulating until day 22 or so. could this be due to a lack of a certain hormone not building up enough to prompt ovulation? Are there any herbs or minerals/suppliments out there to help with that? I am not sure if I want to take the heavy duty stuff that the midwives are going to prescribe. Anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Thanks in advance.
#2 of 8 Old 08-28-2007, 02:52 PM

I always had long cycles. (still waiting for my first PPAF right now - DS is 15 months old and no sign of it yet). Things to consider:
1. Are you underweight? (I tend to be low)
2. Getting a lot of exercise?
3. Still breastfeeding?

When I was TTC with DS I took vitex (chasteberry) and drank a lot of green tea. I think both of these helped me ovulate earlier and have better CM. Certainly can't hurt. I also tried putting on an extra couple lbs (brought 2 sandwiches for lunch every day instead of 1) although I ended up getting pregnant before I had gained more than a pound or two.... I'm currently taking vitex to see if I can coax my body back into a fertile pattern but it hasnt' happened yet. Judging from what I've seen posted here, taking up to 1200 mg/day may be helpful.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#3 of 8 Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 PM

I have long cycles. I have been off birth control since January. It needn't be a sickness or anything, some women just have long cycles. Since you know you ovulate and you even know when, meaning you're regular, I don't think you have to worry. You could always ask a midwife/doctor, of course, but be assured you're not the only one.

hh2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 08-28-2007, 03:10 PM

Lots of women (myself included) have long cycles. As long as you're ovulating consistently, and relatively early (before CD28 or so) and have a decently long LP (12 days or more) it shouldn't be a problem. The only rub is that it takes five weeks to complete a cycle rather than four.

Good luck!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#5 of 8 Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM

I don't think long cycles in and of them selves aren't anything to be concerned about. why are you wanting to have a shorter cycle? I used to have long and erratic cycles, so as an experiment I took vitex for one cycle. that cycle was very short and I ovulated very early. every cycle since the vitex cycle, except one where I had a lot of stress, has been 27-29 days long. You could look into vitex as a way to shorten your cycle. being hypo thyroid can cause irregularities and long cycles - I had other symptoms of hypothyroidism, low temps, long mucous patch, in addition to the long, irregular cycles, so I had my doc test my levels. they were within normal limits but it was nice to rule that out.
#6 of 8 Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 AM

I have long cycles (40+) my last was 47, O'ing around day 31. I love that I don't have to deal with AF all that frequently. Growing up I never kept track 'cause they were always so far apart, I just went on the "I can feel them coming" method and left it at that.

PP, why would it matter that O be before day 20? curious if I'm missing something.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#7 of 8 Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 AM

I've always had long cycles, too (bewteen 32 and 35 days). Not everyone falls into the textbook 28 day pattern.
#8 of 8 Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elowyn View Post
Lots of women (myself included) have long cycles. As long as you're ovulating consistently, and relatively early (before CD28 or so) and have a decently long LP (12 days or more) it shouldn't be a problem. The only rub is that it takes five weeks to complete a cycle rather than four.

Good luck!
i don't o before day 28.. but then I also worry I might have thyroid issues... see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I used to have long and erratic cycles, so as an experiment I took vitex for one cycle. that cycle was very short and I ovulated very early. every cycle since the vitex cycle, except one where I had a lot of stress, has been 27-29 days long. You could look into vitex as a way to shorten your cycle. being hypo thyroid can cause irregularities and long cycles - I had other symptoms of hypothyroidism, low temps, long mucous patch, in addition to the long, irregular cycles, so I had my doc test my levels. they were within normal limits but it was nice to rule that out.
I really need to go and rule that out, too. did you take vitex pills? you sound like a success example for that plant...

hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page