Anyone removed their own IUD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-05-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I really considering this??? Not sure, but it seems like a simple procedure... Just wondering.
#2 of 9 Old 09-05-2007, 03:34 PM

i'm interested what will come from this:
#3 of 9 Old 09-05-2007, 03:41 PM

Have you had an IUD removed before? I just had one removed in July. It was more than just "pull on the strings".

First of all, my strings had receded and were so short that the doc couldn't reach them at first. As a separate issue, the doc put a little device in there that sort of held my cervix open a little bit, to make it easier to get the IUD out.

I would be worried that you would pull on the strings, and without the little device to clear the way, that the force would be too strong and you might pull the strings off. Then you would have to have surgery to get the thing out.

~Diane
#4 of 9 Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM

There have been mamas here who have done it. Do a search for it...there have been many threads about it.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#5 of 9 Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 AM

I did, but I think it was comming out anyways on its own, I just 'helped' it a bit, gently.
I wouldnt suggest it to anyone though, especially if its seems secure and lodged in there properly.
Mine was making me majorilly sick so I was kinda delerious lol
#6 of 9 Old 09-17-2007, 04:54 PM

I've had one surgically removed and THAT was very uncomfortable. Be carful.
#7 of 9 Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM

I just got mine out and it took like 2 seconds. The doc just tugged on it and out it came. I considered taking it out on my own but I was too nervous.

You could probably get it out for free at planned parenthood.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#8 of 9 Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 PM

I work in family planning, so I do a lot of IUD insertions/removals.

Yes, it is a simple procedure. And women do remove their own, sometimes by accident and sometimes intentionally. In theory, an IUD should just slide right out with gentle traction. But that is not always the case.

Short strings can be a problem. Sometimes the arms don't fold up as easily as one might expect. And on occasion, you need to apply more traction than you anticipated.

I know it can be very inconvenient and costly to make an appointment for removal which is a drawback of IUDs in general. But if you have access to health care I would suggest having your provider do it. They will be able to visualize your cervix well, grasp all the strings, and remove it without much trauma. I'm not a big fan of just pulling on the strings blindly.

Good luck.
#9 of 9 Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 PM

I know this is an older thread {I'm bored tonight}, but I thought I'd add my thoughts...I removed my own Mirena IUD. I waited until my cervix was soft and open {no AFs with it, but it was about when I should have had it.} My strings were long enough for me to grasp so I just started to gently pull down on them. I would have stopped if it was painful or uncomfortable at all, but within a few seconds the whole thing was out. So yes it can be done, but just don't try to force anything.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page