#1 of 12 Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to talk about this...

source: http://www.sisterzeus.com/neem.html

Neem and Birth Control

Women

Vaginal creams and suppositories made with neem oil are quickly becoming the birth control method of choice in India. (Paranjapo and Paranjapo, 1993); (Garg, et al, 1993); (Riar, et al, 1993). They are non-irritating and easy to use while almost 100 percent effective. It's important to note, however, that even toxic spermicides are not 100 percent effective. When tested against human sperm neem extract (sodium nimbidinate) at 1000 mg was able to kill all sperm in just 5 minutes and required only 30 minutes at a 250 mg level. (Sharma, 1959); (Khare, 1984); (Lal, et al, 1987); (Riar, et al, 1988); (Sinha, et al, 1984). They have the added benefit of preventing vaginal and sexually transmitted diseases (Upadhyay, et al, 1990); (Garg, et al, undated); (Lal, et al, 1985); (Sinha, et al, 1984).

Neem has a proven ability to prevent pregnancy (Juneja, 1990); (Sharma, 1959a/b). Neem oil has also been shown to work well both before and after sex while some purified extracts only worked before sex as a preventative. (Riar et al, 1991) Neem oil appears to be the most effective form of neem for birth control, particularly hexane extracted neem oil. After a single injection of a minute amount of neem oil in the uterine horns, a strong cell-mediated immune response reaction produced a long term (up to 12 months) and reversible block in fertility. (Upadhyay, 1994);(Garg et al, 1994) There were no changes in menstrual cycles or ovarian function.

Neem oil has also been found to prevent implantation and may even have an abortifacient effect similar to pennyroyal, juniper berries, wild ginger, myrrh and angelica. The effects were seen as many as ten days after fertilization in rats though it was most effective at no more than three days. (Sinha, et al, 1984); (Lal et al, 1985). In a study on rats, neem oil was given orally eight to ten days after implantation of the fetus on the uterine wall. In all cases, by day 15, the embryos were all completely resorbed by the body. The animals regained fertility on the next cycle showing no physical problems. Detailed study of the rats revealed increased levels of gamma interferon in the uterus. The neem oil enhanced the local immune response in the uterus.(Mukherjee, 1996) Post coital use of neem oil as birth control does not appear to work by hormonal changes but produces changes in the organs that make pregnancy no longer viable (Tewari, 1989) (Bardham, 1991)

Years of study in India by some of the world's leading scientists resulted in the development of a neem-based polyherbal vaginal cream that has both spermicidal and anti-microbial action. The cream combines 25 per cent neem seed extract with extracts from the soap nut and quinine hydrochloride. Based on the success of these experiments, a neem-based contraceptive cream was developed by a pharmaceutical company in India. Tests of its effectiveness showed that it compared favorably with the chemical-based foams and gels. It was safer and easier to use, caused no irritation or discomfort, was nearly 100% effective, and was therefore used more frequently than the foam or gel spermicides.(Garg, 1993) The effect does not appear to be hormonal and is considered a safe and effective alternative to other methods that use hormones (Prakash, 1988); (Mateenuddin, 1986).

The studies leading to the development of these products proved that neem oil killed sperm in the vagina within thirty seconds and was effective for up to five hours. Most spermicide creams must be reapplied at least every hour (Sinha et al, 1984). An important effect of neem oil used in the vagina is that it seems to increase the antigen presenting ability of the uterine tract. This activation of the local immune cell population has a direct spermicidal effect without apparent side effect.

Men

Neem may become the first truly effective birth control "pill" for men (Riar, 1988). Neem leaf tablets ingested for one month produced reversible male antifertility without affecting sperm production or libido (Deshpande, 1980) (Sadre, 1984). In India and the United States, exploratory trials show neem extracts reduced fertility in male monkeys without inhibiting libido or sperm production (Sharma, et al, 1987).

In a test of neem's birth control effects with members of the Indian Army, daily oral doses of several drops of neem seed oil in gelatin capsules were given to twenty married soldiers. The effect took six weeks to become 100 percent effective, it remained effective during the entire year of the trial and was reversed six weeks after the subjects stopped taking the capsules. During this time the men experienced no adverse side effects and retained their normal capabilities and desires. (Vietmeyer, 1992) There were no pregnancies of any of the wives during the period of the study.

For long term birth control for men it appears that a very minute amount of neem oil injected in the vas deferens provides up to eight months of birth control. The tests revealed no obstructions, no change in testosterone production and no anti-sperm antibodies. The local lymph nodes showed increased ability to respond to infections indicating an immune response may be responsible for the birth control effect in men as it is in women. (Upadhyay, 1993)
#2 of 12 Old 09-06-2007, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

For internal vaginal dosage... what I am reading is 1 mL.

I am also reading about the toxicity of neem oil.... Anything has the potential to be toxic, even water, if taken in the right dose.

We need to learn more.

I am very interested to read that "Sensal" is the name of a product made with neem oil that is being marketed by a pharmaceutical company in India, gaining widespread use.

-- Caitlin
#3 of 12 Old 09-06-2007, 06:17 PM

This is interesting, interesting, interesting!
#4 of 12 Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM

um, can we slip it in our man's beer?

okay, that was a joke...but i'm definitely interested in the portion of this having to do with male birth control.
#5 of 12 Old 09-06-2007, 06:40 PM

very interesting!

I wonder if that means that neem taken for other reasons (skin problems) would have an antifertile effect, too?
#6 of 12 Old 09-06-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSheba'sMom View Post
very interesting!

I wonder if that means that neem taken for other reasons (skin problems) would have an antifertile effect, too?
I would think so, this natural soap company that ive used has a neem soap and explicitly warns that people trying to become pregnant or are pregnant should NOT use the soap whatsoever.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#7 of 12 Old 09-06-2007, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

My understanding is that neem oil can be put into a pill form, such as the ones marketed for fish oil supplements or Vitamin E supplements. Men take the pills daily and it suppresses their fertility. Is that right?

What are you all reading about neem oil to reduce men's fertility?

-- Caitlin
#8 of 12 Old 09-10-2007, 02:32 AM

subbing

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#9 of 12 Old 09-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
I would think so, this natural soap company that ive used has a neem soap and explicitly warns that people trying to become pregnant or are pregnant should NOT use the soap whatsoever.
Wow, wish I'd known this before I bought some oil for my puppies for their ticks.

Oh and for whoever mentioned putting it in dh's beer. The oil at least has an awful scent to it. I know you were j/k but fyi to anyone thinking about using the oil.

~T | head-strong ap mama to 2 fur-kids | TTC since 2001 | remembering 8/00, 5/04, 1/07 & fur-kids, Apollo (04/03-12/09), Bella (04/06-06/12) & Keevah (06/03-04/14)
#10 of 12 Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 PM

if anyone finds out more info about this or how we can get it in the US, let me know!

:
#11 of 12 Old 09-13-2007, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oral dose for a BFing woman????? any one know???? i have been wanting to know this for months oh ya can it be bought in canada???where
#12 of 12 Old 09-13-2007, 11:46 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page