Pull and Pray?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So did you test????

The P & P method worked for me for 6 years with only a couple of pg scares! It worked better than anything else!

My 1st is a BC baby and my 2nd is a condom baby!

I hope you get what you want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 80 Old 10-22-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah... I tested. Negative. or BFN. But no period yet?

I bought a pack of three, and tested friday night, and saturday morning. I was going to wait to test the last one next week, but if my period doesn't come soon, I'm probably going to just go buy another package.

I was relived when I got the first two negatives. But since then we've looked at baby names, I've been trying to watch what I eat, I've given up diet soda cold turkey (which is a huge deal for me), and I've started to pick out yarn for soakers.

I think we'll be OK either way. But it would be good to know, you know?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#63 of 80 Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

TayTaysMama, reading your post made me feel better. All weekend I've been feeling like I'm an awful person (mom?), for maybe accidently getting pregnant. Because I'm fat (I'm about 45 pound overweight and I've gained that in the last 10 months).

I even read an article when I was searching about nutrition and pregnancy, likening being overweight during pregnancy to smoking or drinking during pregnancy.

It just made me feel better knowing that this still could have happened no matter what we did. makes me feel a little better and less stupid.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#64 of 80 Old 10-22-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayTaysMama View Post
So did you test????

The P & P method worked for me for 6 years with only a couple of pg scares! It worked better than anything else!

My 1st is a BC baby and my 2nd is a condom baby!

I hope you get what you want!
Wow are we twins?
My DD is a BC baby and DS is a condom baby. They were very much wanted but I thought I was the only person who could pull that off!

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#65 of 80 Old 10-22-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
I even read an article when I was searching about nutrition and pregnancy, likening being overweight during pregnancy to smoking or drinking during pregnancy.
That is not true! An overweight mother can have a healthy pregnancy by excercising and eating well just like everyone else. I hate the prejudices overweight mothers face from medical professionals and other people who don't really that bigger people canbe healthy too.. Check out this site: http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/ and this great thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=734884 . I hope everything turns out the way you want.

''''

#66 of 80 Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for these links pryodjm. They make me feel much better. I still haven't gotten my period, but I'm going to take another preg. test tomorow am.

I also got a copy of TCoYF, and it says that stress can cause unusually long cycles sometimes. I'm hoping that's it.

#67 of 80 Old 10-30-2007, 01:27 PM

Since we started DTD again after having our latest baby we have been relying on exclusively nursing to suppress my fertility. That's going to end soon though because while I *know* the books say its like 97% effective if you meet the criteria (which I do), I just don't trust it enough.

We've never had to worry about bc before. After we got married we TTC right away and got pregnant my first cycle. After baby #1 we weren't trying, but we weren't preventing. DS1 and DS2 are 17.5 months apart, which would mean I got pregnant when DS1 was about 7.5-8 months old.

After DS2 we weren't trying to prevent pregnancy either. I got pregnant with DS3 when DS2 was a little under a year old.

We won't be using pull-and-pray though. DH could definitely handle it, but I couldn't. I think we'll probably use the Today Sponge. I wish I could talk DH into doing that AND condoms, but he's a hard sell on the condom part...

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
#68 of 80 Old 10-31-2007, 11:37 PM

My body goes loony on any kind of hormone based birth control too. We use a diaphram and when we're sick of it, he just pulls. It works pretty well for us so far.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#69 of 80 Old 11-03-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
That is not true! An overweight mother can have a healthy pregnancy by excercising and eating well just like everyone else. I hate the prejudices overweight mothers face from medical professionals and other people who don't really that bigger people canbe healthy too.. Check out this site: http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/ and this great thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=734884 . I hope everything turns out the way you want.
:

Sorry, I'm jumping in on this thread kinda late in the game! This poster is absolutely correct, if you are a bit overwieght and pregnant, you should be okay. If you are concerned about nutrition, the Blue Ribbon Baby diet is supposed to be fantastic.

And about your original question.... DH and I have practiced "pull and pray" for FOURTEEN YEARS and never had an accident. When we decided to TTC last September, we got pregnant on the very first try. Is that crazy or what? :

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#70 of 80 Old 11-03-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingMinnesota View Post

We won't be using pull-and-pray though. DH could definitely handle it, but I couldn't. I think we'll probably use the Today Sponge. I wish I could talk DH into doing that AND condoms, but he's a hard sell on the condom part...
I suppose the sponge is definitely better than nothing, but these odds would make me a bit nervous - according to Planned Parenthood, pull & pray is statistically more effective than the sponge for women who've given birth:

"Nine will become pregnant with perfect use. Of 100 women who have given birth and use the sponge, 32 will become pregnant during the first year of typical use. "

"How Well Withdrawal Works
Of every 100 women whose partners use withdrawal, 27 will become pregnant during the first year of typical use. Of every 100 women whose partners use withdrawal, four will become pregnant during the first year of perfect use."
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/bir...rol/sponge.htm

I'm not sure what method we're using. At this point, I'd say stress-induced abstinence.

And, OP - I've had some really crazy cycles when we were TTC and I was sure I was pg, but ended up not. TCOYF is a fabulous reference. You'll learn so much about your body.

FWIW, I was at least 45+ pounds overweight when we conceived. Doc told me not to gain more than 20 lbs. which ended up being easy because if the morning sickness. Bleah. That helped me kick my coffee and soda habit during my pg.

If you've already quit the diet soda, maybe try to stick with that even if you're not pg. It's a good way to start getting healthier. Hang in there. I totally agree that the not knowing is the worst!!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#71 of 80 Old 09-14-2008, 11:58 AM

DBF and I have been using a diaphragm with spermicide for a month since i had the essure done while we wait for it to "work". He absolutely won't "get there" in me. He was putting on a condom, but now hems taken to pull n pray. Today it was very close in timing plus i think i'm ovulating. I hope all the spermicide for the diaphragm does its job. Thoughts?
#72 of 80 Old 09-15-2008, 01:41 PM

OK, I'm a bit late to the party, but:
1) Start charting. You can CTA, and then one night you and your hubby can be fooling around, and you can tell him that you're fertile, and he can NOT reach for the condoms, and neither do you, and you can make a baby together and the decision is over and done with quickly So much easier than coming off BCP or whathaveyou.
2) With some pregnancy tests, you can get a BFP at 8 dpo. You need to know what you're looking for, but it's possible. That said, I reckon you might be
3) www.sisterzeus.com has some information on bringing about a late period. BUT charting would tell you whether you're late or not, or if this is just a screwy cycle (this is a technical term that you will need on the CTA thread.)
4) The biggest risk to your health from obesity during pregnancy is the increased risk of induction or caesarean section. THEN there is the risk of gestational diabetes. In that order. I'm not saying you shouldn't lose the weight if you want to, but it's nothing to get hysterical about.
5) There is never, ever, a perfect time to have a baby. You are planning a blind leap into the unknown, and sometimes you need to stop thinking and just do it.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#73 of 80 Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

flapjack!!! My what an old thread....

just a quick update. I wasn't pregnant. Dh and I had started picking out baby names, and I cried like a baby for about 15 minutes when I got my period... but all in all, I'm glad I wasn't.

The pull and pray is working for us. I also read tcoyf which is an AWESOME book, btw, and keep an eye out for cm ect. I don't temp. we are aware and ok with the risks.

Dh and I are thinking about trying for a baby starting next feb... if I can get this weight off. (my choice... not his). I can just feel it in my body, I'm not healthy-- my body can't handle the extra stress. I'm sure of it.

#74 of 80 Old 09-26-2008, 01:32 AM

Wow, that is an old thread, but since there's some misinformation in it and it's been bumped, I just wanted to say:

Every study, that has ever been done, has found that there is NO viable sperm in pre-cum. None at all.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#75 of 80 Old 09-26-2008, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

really??? I've always heard the opposite.

#76 of 80 Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Yup! Health teachers and dear friends love to pass along misinformation they believe is true.

If you check it out, you'll find that they have only ever found dead sperm or no sperm in pre-ejaculate.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#77 of 80 Old 09-30-2008, 07:01 AM

I just want to tack on a non pregnancy related comment about UTIs (so long as the thread is back from the dead anyway). Way back in the day when DH and I were first active I used to get them fairly often.

The best thing I've learned since then is that your best bet is simply to remember to go pee right after you dtd. It really helps to flush things out and the only UTI I have had in the last 6 years was when I skipped it and just went to sleep. If you have been especially active and things are a little sore then urine can sting a bit but just taking a little water and using that to wash/dilute when you go can help a lot.

SAHM, Geek, Expat American living in Oslo Norway.
DH DS1(5) DS2(2)
#78 of 80 Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 AM

In regards to precum - precum doesn't have sperm in it, but if a man cums and then doesn't pee to clean out the pathways, so to speak, there *can* be sperm in the precum if sex is done soon after the first go round.

As to the UTI - I've never had one, but I've always, always peed right after dtd. Good advice Bunni!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#79 of 80 Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 PM

If cost is a factor, check with your local library to see if you can check out TCOYF. There are also some websites like mymonthlycyles.com where you can record your fertility information online for free.
#80 of 80 Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 PM

The pull and pray method worked great for my son. He loves being alive and is very grateful that mama and daddy weren't using a more reliable method of birth control. We're pretty happy about it too.
But yeah, there was an element of user error that night, which had a lot to do with the consumption of a rather large bottle of whiskey.
I remember my demography professor in college saying that the withdrawal method was responsible for slashing the birth rate in half in Europe in the 1800s.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page