Condom failure (or what are the chances..) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-29-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you know when a condom fails? I mean can you just wind up pregnant and have had no clue?

I have a short luteal phase--8 days. I had several miscarriages before this was figured out and then to stay pregnant with my boys I used progesterone through the first trimester.
So I can't really stay pregnant without progesterone.
We use condoms perfectly (meaning not careless, no user failure...we should fall in the 3% failure rate).

Ok, so based on cervical mucus--my body is always really clear on mucus signs--I ovulated 13 days ago. And my body responded as if I did. I had some spotting right on cue day 8, should have started day 9..and then nothing.

Ok, so I'm not worried at first. But now I am. My boobs are different than they have been since I had my boys. The only time I ever had spotting outside of a period is the three times I got pregnant..I spotted I assume residual to implantation each of those times.

So I'm concerned. But I really don't see how I could be pregnant given that we used condoms without any breaks or problems and my luteal phase defect on top of that.

Wouldn't I know if a condom failed?
Edited to add: As an aside, we don't see ourselves with any more children--our hands our full with one of my boy's medical issues.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#2 of 12 Old 09-29-2007, 10:10 PM

Well, not necessarily, this is only my personal experience of course, but when we decided to go from NFP, to using condoms, we got pregnant within a month. Never noticed any visibles breaks, tears, anything, needless to say we were pretty shocked.
#3 of 12 Old 09-29-2007, 11:15 PM

Well, sounds like a hpt might be in order. The only thing I can think of is if your body was about to O, and then for some reason didn't. (Stress, sickness, etc.) I would say your chances of being pg is very low, but I had a very mistimed impossibility of getting pregnant....and got pg. (Look at chart # 28) So I've learned to not say never.
#4 of 12 Old 09-29-2007, 11:26 PM

I was completely surprised when I found out I was PG with my DS. We used a condom (granted it was non-latex) five days before I ovulated. It really does happen.

I hope you get what you want.
#5 of 12 Old 09-30-2007, 12:28 PM

I got pregnant once without knowing the condom failed. It was a polyurethane condom, though. I think latex condom breaks are more obvious.
#6 of 12 Old 09-30-2007, 04:19 PM

If you can't stay pg without progesterone I think you are safe

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#7 of 12 Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 PM

You could be pregnant. I worked at a clinic and learned that condoms are 98% effective- that's if they're on right (I'm assuming you now they work! ) and if there are no holes or tears. Then the rate of effectiveness is in the 30's. And no, it's not always obvious if there is a hole- it can be a pin hole that you would never know was there.

Also, if you don't put the condom on during foreplay, you can get pregnant. Chances aren't THAT high, but it can happen. Here's a basketball term we used at the clinic- You (well, guys) always dribble before you (they) shoot, if you get what I'm saying!
#8 of 12 Old 09-30-2007, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You could be pg. Or you might not have ovulated this month at all. Or your cycle could be shifting because you're getting older/your diet is better/your diet is worse/no apparent reason whatsoever. You might have a 14 day luteal phase this month.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 12 Old 10-04-2007, 07:49 PM

tee hee, just have to share that this was me four weeks ago. My friend and I were discussing how wierd my chart was...It looked like I o'd but we followed the rules and didn't have a noticeable condom failure. I didn't go triphasic, so I knew I wasn't pg. Friend said "take the test and call me back" ...I didn't call her for a couple of days because I almost peed my pants when the stick had two lines on it. Well, I couldn't really pee my pants because I had just emptied my bladder. :-)

Oh well, next time we're doing NFP. This is our second condom baby. ;-)

wish you luck!
#10 of 12 Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think that it's a 2% chance with ideal, perfect use. And a 15% chance with typical use. That's over a one year period (i.e. if 100 women use condoms for a year typically, 15 will get pregnant). You could just POAS if it will put your mind at ease.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#11 of 12 Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used condoms perfectly for over 6 years and did not get pregnant, so I guess I was lucky. Great, we are back to using condoms now, and I am crapping bricks.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#12 of 12 Old 10-15-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
I got pregnant once without knowing the condom failed. It was a polyurethane condom, though. I think latex condom breaks are more obvious.
Latex ondom here with no visable break. DS will be celebrating his first birthday on the 27th

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page