People purposefully trying to have twins? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 43 Old 10-26-2007, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me preface this by stating it's not something I would want to do (I'm all about low risk singleton homebirth here LOL and MWs cannot knowingly attend twin HB here in FL), I'm just wondering if anyone here has done this/knows of someone who has done this.

There's a woman I know IRL....she was "obsessed" with having twins. One of her friends purposefully started clomid so that she could have twins. And, her friend became pregnant with twins.

So she decided to 'borrow' her friends leftover clomid. Well, you guessed it :...she became pregnant with twins on the second try!

She went on to tell me she knows several women who are doing this, and this is very trendy (this is a pretty mainstream mom overall, btw).

How common is this? These women both had NO fertility issues at all. But managed to get clomid for the sole purpose of increasing the chances of twins. :

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 10-26-2007, 10:33 AM

Do these women have nannies? Lots of cash for PP doulas? What?

I have watched friends try to AP twins (conceived naturally) and it absolutely blows my mind the work that goes into it. I just can't imagine trying to increase odds of twins.

Maybe I'm just lazy or too uptight (yes, I really think I'm both at the same time ) to understand that desire.
#3 of 43 Old 10-26-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
...She went on to tell me she knows several women who are doing this, and this is very trendy (this is a pretty mainstream mom overall, btw)....
I don't know about 'common' but I don't think it's rare. The people I have heard about are quite mainstream & non-ap. From what I can gather, it seems like more bang for the buck...meaning they get 2 kids but only 1 pregnancy plus the adorable, attention-drawing factor of twins.

ftr, I'm totally against this, & don't really get the kids as accessories type of thinking. My brother & sil have twins & it's definitely a lot to deal with.
#4 of 43 Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama View Post
plus the adorable, attention-drawing factor of twins.
I honestly think in this case it was a BIG part of it.

And, the mom is rather mainstream, though she nursed her singletons somewhat. I don't know what she'll be doing with the twins.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#5 of 43 Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 PM

This blows my mind. The thought of having multiples scares the crap out of me. Not only the logistics of the stress on my body but of course the stress on their bodies as well and then what life is like after the babies come....ohhhh my. I would not TRY for that. If it happens naturally, it happens. But not intentionally.
#6 of 43 Old 10-27-2007, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I've never heard of this before. I would love to have twins, not because of the cuteness factor or the attention getting factor, but because I want another baby and two would be awesome. I could never pull off two more pregnancies, so that would be it, if I got pregnant once more. Using someone else's fertility meds, though? I don't think so. That's nuts. And probably quite dangerous. Besides, what if you had quadruplets?! :

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#7 of 43 Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
...The thought of having multiples scares the crap out of me.....
Me too. Before I was married/kids I was friends with a guy & his wife had twins...cute, A LOT of work, they adapted very well. Nineteen months later...set two arrived. No drugs, first set was fraternal, second set identical. So yes, 4 kids under 2. When I got pg, I kept asking 'You hear only one heartbeat, right?' The midwife & ob thought I was a bit crazy.
#8 of 43 Old 10-27-2007, 09:58 AM

That is really scary, and in my mind, irresponsible.

I have twins, and though I would step in front of a bus for them and appreciate the unusual bond they have, I would never "wish" twins on anyone. Babies are meant to come one at a time because of the huge amount of attention and care they need as infants.

There are so many more risks associated with having twins - pregnancy complications, as well as prematurity and highly interventive births - things that even someone who does everything "right" may not be able to avoid.

It's selfish and doing a disservice to your children.
#9 of 43 Old 10-27-2007, 10:01 AM

a woman on another (very small) board i am on did this. she already had 5 kids and really wanted twins so she ordered clomid online and got twins. they were just born a week or so ago.

i would never ever take drugs (or do anything else) to increase my chances of multiples, but i do kind of have this hope/fear of them every time i get pregnant.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#10 of 43 Old 10-27-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaloakmi View Post
That is really scary, and in my mind, irresponsible.

I have twins, and though I would step in front of a bus for them and appreciate the unusual bond they have, I would never "wish" twins on anyone. Babies are meant to come one at a time because of the huge amount of attention and care they need as infants.

There are so many more risks associated with having twins - pregnancy complications, as well as prematurity and highly interventive births - things that even someone who does everything "right" may not be able to avoid.

It's selfish and doing a disservice to your children.
Ditto this. Twins are hard work. Though I feel fortunate to have my girls, I don't know that it's something that I would have tried for intentionally. Plus, that attention drawing factor, it gets old pretty quickly.
#11 of 43 Old 10-27-2007, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OMG that is crazy!!! I was hoping and praying for no twins lol. I have PCOS and in case you haven't heard of it basically I don't ovulate without help then the trapped eggs become cysts in my ovaries. So my doctor prescribed clomid to me. I filled the prescription but just couldn't take it due to the risk. So I went the natural route and used vitex to get pregnant.

I think taking clomid on purpose when you are healthy is so risky. There is a major risk of ovarian cancer that they don't like to tell you about either but I uncovered it with my research.

So so sad...I hope this trend doesn't catch on.
#12 of 43 Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM

I am TTC #1 and have PCOS. Metformin didn't do the trick so OB prescribed Clomid. I am fine with the idea of twins but more than that would be hard and I try not to think about having to abort/selectively reduce. Anyway, yes, clomid is VERY popular--especially unprescribed--for women who are purposely trying to conceive twins. Google "clomid and twins" and you will find bulletin boards with, IMHO, an appalling number of immature, physically healthy women who want two dolls to dress alike. :

SAHM to Turkey born 9/08
#13 of 43 Old 10-29-2007, 04:41 PM

I too have read this online many many times. I personally don't know what I think about it... in one aspect it might be nice to get two babies at once, especially if you want a larger family and your DH is apposed to having any more kids. BUT... I would be terrified that I would end up with 6 babies since my ovaries work fine as is. That would be my luck!!

To top that off, while twins are very cute... I think having to care for them would be very tiring and the ability to give them as much one/one time would be limited with two babies in the house. I can imagine that you would be feeding/changing diapers/doing baths constantly. I don't know how anyone could continue working with twins - I think it would be very hard.

So in my opinion, though I have thought it might be great to get two babies at once and allow them to have that special bond together... I don't think I would risk having 3 or more!!
#14 of 43 Old 10-29-2007, 04:47 PM

I want at least 4 kids, but I hate pregnancy. In a few years I would like to have another and I would love for it to be twins so that I can get 2 more out of one pregnancy. HOWEVER, I would never take fertility drugs to make that happen. It's just irresponsible. Some people end up with 3, 4, or more when they take those. That would scare the crap out of me.
#15 of 43 Old 11-03-2007, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it seems nut, and while i wouldnt go to those lengths, i do hope when we ttc the next one, we have twins, I dont want more than one more pregnancy, if that, and having two to raie at the same time seems easier to me right now
#16 of 43 Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 AM

I can't even believe that my head is seriously considering this as an option. I'm kind of disappointed with myself.
#17 of 43 Old 11-03-2007, 02:05 AM

I've never heard of this, but it doesn't surprise me. There is a part of me that would love to have twins, but I don't think it's something I'd try to do on purpose...when I think about the reality of having two infants who don't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time, or two 3 year olds, it makes me :.
#18 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 01:28 AM

Some of you are overreacting. It is not irresponsible, nor selfish, to do whatever it is some women do to try to have twins. If these women have twins naturally or un-naturally, who cares?? As long as they take care of them, what's the big deal? Sorry, but it's simply not "okay" to tell people they are "irresponsible or selfish" just because they desire twins!

Also, I'm sure twins are a lot of work, but I'm also sure these women have thought about that and have accepted the challenge. They shouldn't be judged or told how "hard" it is, as if you are assuming they can't handle it - there are a lot of women who have handled twins, it's not as if only the women who have had their twins naturally can "handle it." I know I could handle it and I hope I do have twins. I have three sons now and let me tell you, they may not be triplets, but they are also a lot of work (A LOT). However, I love raising my kids no matter how hard it can be sometimes. It's the most rewarding thing I have ever done.

I am not taking any medication, as I have very regular cycles, but I am 36 and am hoping for twins, as this will be my last pregnancy.

Play nice!
#19 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 AM

Let's see....

Take drugs without a prescrption. Check.

Take drug without supervision. Check.

Automatically have a high-risk pregnancy. Check.

Put yourself and your two fetuses/babies at risk for a, b, c, d, and e..... Check.

Make sure insurance premiums are paid up in case of said a, b, c, d, and e. Check.

If you borrow someone's fertility aid script and don't pay for it, set aside assumed saved money for bigger stroller, nanny help, psychiatric help for PPD, LC help for nursing or $ for formula and bottles.... Twins are not a "two-fer!" My sister had idents. (Which are a random occuance.) I watched her go through it all. And they were born at 37 weeks. No day at Disneyland.

Yadda yadda yadda.....
#20 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranrene View Post
Some of you are overreacting. It is not irresponsible, nor selfish, to do whatever it is some women do to try to have twins. If these women have twins naturally or un-naturally, who cares?? As long as they take care of them, what's the big deal? Sorry, but it's simply not "okay" to tell people they are "irresponsible or selfish" just because they desire twins!

Also, I'm sure twins are a lot of work, but I'm also sure these women have thought about that and have accepted the challenge. They shouldn't be judged or told how "hard" it is, as if you are assuming they can't handle it - there are a lot of women who have handled twins, it's not as if only the women who have had their twins naturally can "handle it." I know I could handle it and I hope I do have twins. I have three sons now and let me tell you, they may not be triplets, but they are also a lot of work (A LOT). However, I love raising my kids no matter how hard it can be sometimes. It's the most rewarding thing I have ever done.

I am not taking any medication, as I have very regular cycles, but I am 36 and am hoping for twins, as this will be my last pregnancy.

Play nice!
this thread is 8 months old!
#21 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 02:26 AM

Wow. Old thread.

If you want to increase your chances of multiples in a LEGAL manner, by all means. But in an illegal manner? Uh, no.

I do not regret my twins in the least. I still would have TTC'd the month we conceived them even if I had known then we'd end up with twins. But what is the fantasy with twins? I don't get it. I never have and I never will now, esp having had twins myself. I mean that in a nice manner towards my boys, as I do NOT regret them and love them, twins or singletons.
#22 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 AM

Does it really matter how old this thread is? Geesh...

I'm more concerned with people illegally selling RX pain drugs and people getting hooked on them- taking someone's Clomid is the least of our problems...

I recently miscarried a singleton three weeks ago - and I did nothing to cause it...pregnancy is risky in itself - women who are older than 35 and are getting pregnant all the time and I guess you consider that putting their baby at risk?? In case you are unaware, any woman over the age of 35 is automatically high risk.

Anyway, I could go on forever regarding how I feel people should be financially, mentally, and physically capable (among other things) of handling twins (or one baby period), but my point was, people do crazy things; as long as it's not affecting everyone else (like say, "she's" on Medicaid), there is no need for judgment.

By the way, I've been high risk with my last two pregnancies and twins were never the cause...oh, and our premiums are automatically deducted every month via hubby's job.
#23 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I'm more concerned with people illegally selling RX pain drugs and people getting hooked on them- taking someone's Clomid is the least of our problems...
Although it might be a lesser problem, can't it still be a problem? Illegal parking might not be worse than running a red light but we still shouldn't allow it.

Quote:

I recently miscarried a singleton three weeks ago - and I did nothing to cause it...pregnancy is risky in itself - women who are older than 35 and are getting pregnant all the time and I guess you consider that putting their baby at risk?? In case you are unaware, any woman over the age of 35 is automatically high risk.
I am so sorry for your loss.

FWIW, I don't think age 35 = automatic high risk. That seems to be a defensive medicine attitude that many people on these boards do not share with the medical industry. However, I don't understand why anyone would want to *increase* risks (because I admit that there are some risks of pregnancy) by adding an illegal prescription to the load. It's like saying, "hey, I smoke so I may as well drink and not wear a seat belt too."
#24 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Thank you for your apologies - that's not something I ever wish to go through again. However, due to my recent experience, I tend to agree with 35 and up being high risk. Eggs age. Miscarriage never even crossed my mind until this happened because I had previously had three planned pregnancies with three perfect babies (even with a septated uterus, incompetent cervix, preterm labor, and Rh-, with positive husband). If it weren't for having a great OB who counseled me at great lengths during my grief and assured me all my eggs weren't "bad," I wouldn't even consider trying again. I do think it was my age that caused this, but am staying hopeful for the next time.

At any rate, I'm not here to have a debate on taking Clomid illegally for the sake of having twins, but calling women selfish and irresponsible just because their twins were conceived un-naturally wasn't necessary. Seems to me they just wanted two babies for whatever reason and they are just as good of people as the women who have them naturally.
#25 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 01:32 PM

oranrene - I am sorry for you loss.

I do however want to chime in and say I don't buy the 35+ high risk thing either given my own and the experience of others on this board, other boards and in real life.

There are many reasons to lose a pregnancy. I have known many young woman lose there babies w/o and identifiable reason. I'm 29 I lost my baby 3 1/2 years ago for still unknown reasons. I don't have my age to blame that on. Hell, this long battle with infertility has nothing to do with me "age". If thats the case, I'm screwed. I'm not saying this is the case for you too, but age doesnt = you're screwed.
#26 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 01:44 PM

I know someone who did this. She got pregnant with triplets. They were born at 29 weeks and 2 of the babies passed away in the first week. Her surviving son has multiple special needs related to his prematurity.

Think she still thinks taking unprescribed Clomid is a good idea?
#27 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 PM

This creeps me out.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#28 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 04:21 PM

Yup. My point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
I know someone who did this. She got pregnant with triplets. They were born at 29 weeks and 2 of the babies passed away in the first week. Her surviving son has multiple special needs related to his prematurity.

Think she still thinks taking unprescribed Clomid is a good idea?
#29 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 PM

Thank you, Barose. I am sorry to hear of yours, as well. I think I am still in my "angry phase," as I was never told why this happened. After I miscarried, I wound up in the ER due to severely low blood pressure (I took a hot, hot shower because the pain was getting unbearable, so that lowered my blood pressure to 110/39 - man I felt awful). At the ER, I gave them my fully intact placenta with the sac and my baby, as well. I only gave it to them so that they would tell me what went wrong. The report I got told me absolutely nothing, other than I think it was indicating something was wrong with the placenta. I am still waiting for my doctor to review the short report and hopefully shed some light.

As for the woman who took Clomid and had triplets, the same thing is known to happen with one baby and no Clomid.

Some women have taken Clomid and had six babies and they all survived. Whether Clomid is prescribed or not, you're still taking a risk - just don't feel people should judge others because they used it unprescribed, that's all I'm saying. Doctors hand that med out all the time. I was was given an Rx for Clomid just because I told my doctor we had been trying for 3 months and I asked him if he could find out why I hadn't conceived yet. Instead of telling me to just keep trying, he handed me a script for Clomid. I never did get it filled, though, because I am not a medicine type of person and was actually worried about taking it. I wound up with a positive pregnancy test 3 weeks later and had a healthy baby boy.
#30 of 43 Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I cant see myself personally purposefully trying for twins, very much the opposite, hubby says when it is time to TTC, I am to stay away from yams and all types of sweet potatoes

NMY actively making my dreams happen :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page