Diaphragm? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-08-2003, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious as to how effective diaphragms are in real life (I know that technically they are considered 97-98% effective). I've had one in the past but it was always just a backup method. My DH is sure he wants no more children so while I don't want to go with any permanent methods yet, I also would like to be fairly careful. With that in mind, I'm interested in hearing how the big D did or did not work for any of you fine folks.

Thanks to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-09-2003, 05:08 PM

Well, I just got fitted for one yesterday, and my midwife reminded me that it doesn't work if you leave it on the bedside table. :LOL Her helpful hint was that there's nothing wrong with putting it in every night before bed, and if you need it, it's there, if not, no biggie. She also told me to be diligent about using the spermicide, because it really doesn't work without it.

My sister has been using one for a while with no pregnancy.

I'm planning on charting/temping/observing cervical mucus when I get my periods back (I'm still breastfeeding) and using the Fertility Awareness Method to be aware of my fertile days and use the diaphragm during those days.

Diaphragms plus condoms would be a pretty surefire protection method, if you wanted to be super careful.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 10 Old 08-10-2003, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing Jane. I've used one before as backup to condoms (bad run of breaking) but I'm feeling a little more relaxed these days. And you are right, it doesn't hurt to put it in and not need it. My little one is only four months now so I don't even really expect fertility to be an issue for a while yet but I've been trying to decide what I feel comfortable using.
#4 of 10 Old 08-19-2003, 05:07 AM

I use one and like it. I think it's effective, but yes you need to use the spermicide. I try and monitor my cycle well, so I know when I'm fertile. We try and avoid intercourse when I ovulate and use the D the rest of the time. I am very good about putting it in when we need it though... I don't ever forget.

I think that thing about putting it in every night is a bunch of bs. Someone told me to do that and I think it's crazy... I am NOT shooting an applicator full of spermicide up my vagina every night. :

Anyway, so far so good w/ the D. I've been using it since I had Parker (3.5 yrs ago) and Bret's pg was planned.

Good luck in your decision!
#5 of 10 Old 08-19-2003, 07:00 AM

I used a diaphragm very happily for years pre kids - I would never have put it in every night though. Someone told me recently they can be associated with risk of UTI and I certainly had a few of those back then

there were a few occasions when the d@mn thing flew acros the room while trying to get it organised causing a hilarity that may or may not break the mood
#6 of 10 Old 09-06-2003, 01:22 AM

I had a great run of about 10 years with the diaphragm and am always trying to convince my condom- or pill-using girlfriends to switch. It is nice that you can just put it in if you think you might have sex, but I agree every night is a bit silly, and you could get a UTI from the pressure.
You don't need to put any additional spermicide in unless you have sex twice within the six hours or however long (sorry, it's been a while) you have it in. I never did that, myself, just trusted that the original blob (and lots around the rim) would suffice. And it always did.
BTW, you can get the jelly without nonoxynol-9, which is a nice plus if you or your partner have a reaction. The jelly is expensive, but still the whole shebang is affordable.
I had lots of sex back then and am very fertile, as I now know, so I am living proof that it is a really effective method.
Good luck!
#7 of 10 Old 09-07-2003, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by headlongamy
You don't need to put any additional spermicide in unless you have sex twice within the six hours or however long (sorry, it's been a while) you have it in. I never did that, myself, just trusted that the original blob (and lots around the rim) would suffice. And it always did.
So you just used a blob in the D before you put it in and then no more up there w/ the applicator? I used to faithfully put in the whole applicator-full, but started running low so lately I've been just using the big blob right on the thing before I put it in. Makes me a bit nervous though.
#8 of 10 Old 04-22-2004, 02:03 PM

Any other diaphragm experiences? -- C
#9 of 10 Old 04-22-2004, 02:12 PM

I just read on another MDC FP thread that the effectiveness of the diaphragm drops dramatically after you have birthed children because the diaphragm just doesn't fit as tightly around the cervix as it otherwise would.

So, I'm TTA after two vaginal births. If I used a diaphragm, I would have to use a spermicide to make it more effective.

Are there any "natural" spermicides?

-- C
#10 of 10 Old 04-22-2004, 02:43 PM

My understanding is that you are supposed to use the spermicide w/ each use regardless of whether you have had children or not. The directions that come w/ it instruct you to use spermicide in it before you put it in and in addition you are supposed to use an applicator full inserted inside after it's in. Also, you can't get a D w/o being fitted for one, so it should fit properly even after birthing children.

I don't know about natural spermicides... that's a good question.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page