Using withdrawal method during fertile period? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As long as you are ok with a "surprise" pregnancy, then it isn't necessarily irresponsible.

We have been using FAM for about 20 months now, no pregnancies. We avoid or use condoms during my fertile time. I think once when I was getting a baby bug we used withdrawl during the fertile time and nothing happened. I wouldn't risk it though if I was dead set against being pregnant. We have found lots of ways to have fun together during my fertile times that don't involve penetration. It is kind of like being a teenager again.....

I just started my last cycle of TTA though, next month is TTC!!!
#32 of 39 Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 AM

During fertile times we use withdrawal plus a diaphragm. It would be neat to hear an update from the op!
#33 of 39 Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM

I have been using withdrawel for almost 3 years now. No pregnancies that I know of.

If I was terrified at the thought of an accidental pregnancy I would use another method of birth control.. just in case. But I'm not. Now wouldn't be the most convinient time, but we'd work it out.

My DBF has excellent control and has never come close to coming inside me. Is the 80% effective statistic based on the assumption that there will be an accidental ejaculation inside, or partially in? Cause, I mean, we have a 100% success rate so far.
#34 of 39 Old 05-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post

And condoms are 2% effective with normal use. Withdrawl is 4% effective with normal use. So while condoms are obviously more effective, they are hardly hundreds of times more effective. We will take the 2% greater chance to not have to mess with condoms.
I think you have that flip-flopped. Condoms are considered 98% effective (with a 2% failure rate). That's with PERFECT use, using a PERFECT condom.

How often does "perfection" happen in the sack, though?
#35 of 39 Old 05-26-2008, 04:49 PM

I imagine the risks vary from person to person and couple to couple.

I don't want to advocate for using it as a method, but I have to say that my husband and I have always used this method. Sometimes if I am more worried I will combine it with me watching the calendar and avoiding my fertile days, but I don't usually do this.

We have 3 kids, all planned, all happened within 1 month of starting to try.

Never any "accidents" using this method. We tried to be "good" and use condoms after DD#2, just because I got more worried about having an accidental pregnancy with having had 2 children, but neither of us liked using them.

I don't know if this method becomes less reliable over time, with age or anything...I have wondered this before.
#36 of 39 Old 05-26-2008, 04:53 PM

I just had to giggle when I saw the OP is expecting! I guess we know how it worked out for her, huh?

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#37 of 39 Old 10-25-2008, 04:15 AM

I recently decided to go off BC after 8 years.. not because I want to conceive, but because I want to take a break from all the hormones!! For the past 3 months, I have been waiting to get Mirena, however my insurance has been giving me a hard time. I have also been charting (NFP) for these past 3 months, thanks to Taking Charge of Your Fertility. DBF and I have been using the withdrawal method along with NFP and have tried to be more careful during my fertile phase.

No pregnancies since going off BC, HOWEVER - this month I ovulated around October 15th, and DBF and I were intimate the 14th, 15th, and 17th. I have been feeling so awful these past few days. Yesterday I slept in until noon, napped from 5-9PM, then went to bed around 2AM and slept until 2PM today. I had a slight fever yesterday, but I feel a little better today. I am not one to sleep for hours on end. Could be that my body was fighting off an illness, but I'm more nervous about being pregnant than I have been in a long time.

QUESTION: Have any of you experienced the above symptoms a week or so after becoming pregnant?

I don't think the withdrawal method is something we're going to stick with, as I said, I'm waiting to get Mirena. I have not had any children - can't WAIT to be a mommy someday soon, but right now is just not the right time. I suppose it is irresponsible of us to be using withdrawal, ESPECIALLY during ovulation. Sure there are other ways in which we can please each other, but nothing is as wonderful as natural love making ^.^

I'm sure many women here experience the same toss-up; sure, it's effective most of the time, but I think we need to be able to accept a possible pregnancy.

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!
#38 of 39 Old 10-25-2008, 09:02 AM

kikelet: it sounds more likely to me that you were fighting off a bug. i've never heard of a fever as an early pregnancy symptom myself, not to say it's not possible, but i think you were just sick.

we do withdrawal and if he wants to orgasm from DTD we stop and put on a condom, fertile time or not. otherwise we withdrawl a good bit before that point of no return and finish up, uh, other ways. we use FAM because now that i'm not on the pill i like to be on top of my fertility, but we rarely if ever have a condom on for the entire deed, even during fertile times. if i know i'm fertile, though, i make sure to ask/tell DF very clearly, do you want to get a condom/we should get one if we're going to continue just because i know i'm fertile so it's on my mind. it is nice to know, however, when i'm post ovulation so that if we did have an oops (not once in 5.5 years though) i would know we wouldn't have to worry about it. FWIW, we used the same withdrawal, condoms for finishing system even when i was on the pill but that was for different reasons than we do it now. i just didn't trust the pill to keep me from ovulating, i know too many birth control pill babies, lol. so we used the pill as a just in case of oops backup. i do trust my knowledge of FAM though, so it's just that i don't want semen inside me. i'm not a fan of the stuff and luckily DF isn't upset or offended by that, he totally understands.
#39 of 39 Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks Akaisha! I'm still feeling exhausted after about a week. My period is due in two days so we'll see what's up ^.^

Happy excited Mama! Evelyn Isabel born March 12, 2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page