Mirena IUD Removal - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my IUD removed on Monday and since then I've had bright red spotting and I've passed some extremely small clots. Does anyone know if this is normal and how long I should expect it to last? Would this spotting delay my next period? Also, how long does it take to conceive after removal? From my google searches I see it's possible from day 1 after removal, then I see that 80% of women conceive within the first 12 months.

I did a lot of google searching but didn't find much, am I just bad at picking search terms or something?

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#2 of 12 Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 AM

Hi! I had my Mirena removed on Monday too!!! I actually just started bleeding yesterday, and I *thought* I was getting af, but now I'm not sure. I was told by someone else that when she had hers removed they told her that she should expect withdrawal bleeding within a week and af 6-8 weeks later. When I had mine out Monday they only told me that most women get their period within 6-8 weeks of removal. They did tell me that some have spotting for a week or so, but since mine didn't start right away I just kind of assumed it was af...
#3 of 12 Old 02-01-2008, 03:05 PM

I know that my sister-in-law got pregnant almost immediately after having her Mirena taken out. Don't know about the bleeding though. I'm getting my IUD out on Monday (Paragard). How was the removal? Quick? I'm hoping it's a lot better than insertion!
#4 of 12 Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 PM

Normal spotting so far. Some women's cycle gets messed up by the removal - some doesn't. Are you charting temps? You'll know if you end up with an anovulatory cycle or something.

If you get pregnant without a "normal" period first, you'll possibly get more pressure to do an early dating ultrasound.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#5 of 12 Old 02-01-2008, 06:26 PM

For me removal was very easy. It really wasn't even that uncomfortable for me, BUT I didn't have pain, cramping, etc. during insertion either.
#6 of 12 Old 02-03-2008, 06:46 PM

haydee,
i was going through this same thing 2 months ago. i had a normal AF around nov. 15. i had my mirena removed (after 14 months) on dec. 7, then spotting for the next 2-3 days, bright red. i wasn't sure if this was AF? (my googling was pretty fruitless, as well!). nothing else happened in december. anyway, my next "normal" AF was jan. 16 (right on schedule). i just had 3 days of intense CM and hope that we have conceived. it took my body a month to get back into normalcy, i think. we BD a lot in december, but i am not sure if i even O'd because i always feel it very intensely, and i didn't feel anything. this time (my 2nd cycle post-IUD removal) was like a textbook cycle. everything happening as i remember it used to, before BC!

HTH, your situation sounds completely normal.

M

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
#7 of 12 Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. My bleeding has pretty much stopped, and we're really hoping to conceive this cycle. If we don't we'll be taking a break of TTC, so I'm really really hoping! I need to get into the routine or taking my temperature every morning too.

The removal went really well, I was surprised because it was very difficult when it went in.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#8 of 12 Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 PM

I had the mirena removed November of last year and got pregnant in December! No problem at all and the removal was cake! I hardly even felt it (going in on the other hand, whew!)
#9 of 12 Old 07-20-2008, 05:52 PM

Not sure if the IUD removal led to this, but had a migraine the next day (and day after somewhat). Maybe hormonal shifts or just the weather?

Anyone heard of anyone getting pregnant before a full-fledged period after IUD removal? I have bright red spotting now and I'm really hoping that this will be the start of an ovulatory cycle (TTC), is that totally wishful thinking?
#10 of 12 Old 07-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmeyer View Post
Not sure if the IUD removal led to this, but had a migraine the next day (and day after somewhat). Maybe hormonal shifts or just the weather?

Anyone heard of anyone getting pregnant before a full-fledged period after IUD removal? I have bright red spotting now and I'm really hoping that this will be the start of an ovulatory cycle (TTC), is that totally wishful thinking?
I got pregnant w/ DD3 before having a period after my Mirena removal.

Just had my second Mirena removed on 7/1 and have yet to have a period.
#11 of 12 Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 AM

Glad I saw this, I'm getting mine removed TUesday
#12 of 12 Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM

i had mine removed on 6-18-08. the very next day i had what appeared to be my period, or just heavy spotting for 3 days. i had it for just about a year.

both insertion and removal were not bad for me at all. living with it in me was not fun though. i hated bleeding and cramping everytime after dtd with dh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page