Loving wife to my Army man, Momma to Sammy, born 10/2009 and expecting #2 10/2012
Also, with IVF, I'm afraid of multiples
But, it is definitely an option.
Our best friends just found out that they are both carriers for cystic fibrosis. They are planning on using IVF where the embryos are screened for the disease before they are implanted. I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but it is an option.
I so understand the longing for more children, and am so so sorry that your family and son have to walk this path.
editing to add that I am a carrier, and it was TERRIFYING waiting to find out if dh was a carrier. At the time, ds was a toddler who was ALWAYS sick, couldn't get rid of anything in his chest/ears. That was even more terrifying to me, because of course I thought immediately that he must have cf.
I'm so sorry. This is a very difficult decision. You don't have to know now, so take your time to figure out what will work for your family.
In the long run, I imagine that it's much less expensive than the healthcare bills and emotional upset of a child with CF.
To avoid multiples, you can transfer just one embryo and freeze the rest. With dd, we only transferred one embryo and she took!
Many prayers for your decision.
A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.