copper vs. hormonal IUD? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emese'sMom View Post
Just visiting this board to talk with others about the copper IUD. I had it inserted just over a week ago and had spotting for about a week. It has JUST seemed to have stopped.

Now I keep feeling like I FEEL IT all the time. It's very awkward. When dh and I DTD last night I felt like he bumped my cervix and ouch! It HURT. When I engage my muscles to lean forward a bit it hurts. It's strange. I think I should speak with my doctor. Is it possible that it has shifted position somewhat or something?

Has anybody else had some discomfort or pain after the IUD was inserted, as if it was lying funny in their uterus, and then it righted itself? TIA
You are not alone!!! I have searched for the last 2 years for info about this - it seems like no one else has ever felt this, and I was beginning to think I'm crazy! I feel sharp stabs randomly during sex, and I never know when it's going to happen - it's a total mood-killer! I also have cramping when I ovulate, like I'm going to get my period. And when I do any stomach exercises, I feel cramping in my uterus for the rest of the day.

My midwife recommended that we make sure I'm thoroughly prepared before DTD, since the cervix retracts in anticipation when you're properly ready for action, which hopefully lessens the likelihood of that panging sensation. But she also mentioned that the IUD is supposed to be very flexible, that I shouldn't be able to feel it, regardless.

I've been seeing a naturopath who recommended I have it removed due to excess copper in my system, so I have an appt to take it out tomorrow. I wouldn't have considered removing it just for the discomfort, though, as I'm still not sure what BC we'll use, now.

chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 06-30-2008, 04:35 PM

bumping this, to see if any other responses? I don't want to hijack, but I'm in agonies about whether to try an IUD, and if so, which one. I so, so, so can't get pregnant right now.

edited to add:
For those of you who were super sensitive to hormones via BC pills, were you also sensitive to the Merina??
#33 of 40 Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 PM

I started a post on here a few weeks ago about the Mirena, breastfeeding and sex drive. I had the Mirena put in 6 weeks postpartum, and and I found that I had zero sex drive. I wasn't sure whether to blame it on breastfeeding hormones or the Mirena hormones.

The Mirena was removed 1 week ago, and I am happy to report that my sex drive is back and I feel so much better!! : I felt lied to by my OB who told me the hormones are not systemic. They might be a low dose, but they are definitely systemic, and can affect weight gain, emotions, sex drive, acne, etc...

We are going back to condoms and I hope to learn the natural rhythm method once my periods are regular again.
#34 of 40 Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had the copper IUD in for about 2 months now and it's much more comfortable. I don't even notice it's there and dh has not complained about it poking him anymore. I haven't gotten AF back yet as I'm nursing, but I'm definitely very pleased with it!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#35 of 40 Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM

I am a family planning nurse and most of my clients much prefer the Mirena over the copper IUD. Women tend to have heavier, more painful periods with the copper. The progestin in the Mirena causes most women to have lighter, less painful periods and over 20% of women end up with no period at all. I'm planning to get a Mirena after DC#2 (I'm pg now) depsite being diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I just want easier periods!!
#36 of 40 Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have not been interested in the Mirena due to the synthetic hormones involved. I have problems with depression and anxiety and don't want the extra hormones involved to throw my mood out of whack, as it did when I was on the pill. This was a consideration for me when chosing copper over the Mirena.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#37 of 40 Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 PM

I have the Mirena, I am considering having it removed. I too had horrible acne. MY main reason is after reading another thread. I thought my lack of sex drive was due to having akid that never slept and BF, however he has slept fine for over 3 months now, and still no drive. I mean NONE! I also have some pretty sharp pain in certain positions where the penetration is deeper. Sigh...positions I used to love! I haven't had an orgasm since I had it put in either. Just my two cents!
#38 of 40 Old 07-07-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJA View Post
I started a post on here a few weeks ago about the Mirena, breastfeeding and sex drive. I had the Mirena put in 6 weeks postpartum, and and I found that I had zero sex drive. I wasn't sure whether to blame it on breastfeeding hormones or the Mirena hormones.

The Mirena was removed 1 week ago, and I am happy to report that my sex drive is back and I feel so much better!! : I felt lied to by my OB who told me the hormones are not systemic. They might be a low dose, but they are definitely systemic, and can affect weight gain, emotions, sex drive, acne, etc...
AMEN sister... I feel deceived too. That thing made me zitty and crazy. And the MD I talked to about it just looked at me and blinked like "what on earth are you talking about?"
Her PA or asst. that I talked to before the Dr came in the room said she heard it all the time. So why would that doctor play dumb?

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#39 of 40 Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM

I had my copper IUD removed three weeks ago and I kid you not---I am a different woman.

That thing took away so much of me---my sex drive, made me anxious, gave me heart palpitations and nearly disabled me with chronic fatigue. I thought I was going nuts.

These doctors are crazy----mine looked at me like I was nuts too when I was explaining my symptoms. It took me over a year to figure out what was making me so sick. The copper was poisoning me.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#40 of 40 Old 07-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post
I had my copper IUD removed three weeks ago and I kid you not---I am a different woman.

That thing took away so much of me---my sex drive, made me anxious, gave me heart palpitations and nearly disabled me with chronic fatigue. I thought I was going nuts.

These doctors are crazy----mine looked at me like I was nuts too when I was explaining my symptoms. It took me over a year to figure out what was making me so sick. The copper was poisoning me.
I felt tons better after I had mine removed as well. I actually think my doc rolled her eyes at me for wanting it out and acting like I had side effects with it--she treated me so badly I thought I might be crazy (well, I actually was crazy with that thing in. . .last week I mentioned getting another IUD and DH just looked at me and said NO with this look of terror on his face, said he would never go through that again. . .I had to explain the different types and still he was adamently against it--crazy guy)

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page