I think my IUD is coming out - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had a Paragard for 10 months and I have to say I've loved it, but I paid $400 for it and $40/mo birth control is not what I had in mind! My cervix is huge, all the way down at the entrance, the IUD string is BELOW the entrance and if I reach inside I can feel the edge of the plastic.

Anyone have any stories about this?

Dh and I are about 90% sure we want an only child, but if our finances were to improve drastically we might change our minds, and they actually probably are going to improve drastically in about 5 years so I'd rather not do anything permanent but I'd also rather not worry constantly about contraception. And I can't use hormones.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 12:23 PM

If you can feel the plastic stem your IUD is malpositioned (too low) and you should have it removed and replaced with a new device. With the IUD in this position you do not have complete protection from pregnancy.
Please call your provider and have it checked.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Kate. I have an appointment for this afternoon. I'm not too worried about pregnancy since we can't have sex with this thing in my cervix anyway.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:23 PM

I had the same thing happen with my Mirena. I had bad cramps for a month and then one day my strings were way longer they should have been and I was able to feel the tip of it in my cervix. It had to be taken out. If an IUD isn't in there just right, it's not effective.

Best of luck!
Old 04-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Glad you're going into have it checked out. Hope it's nothing.

So, is your cervix always so low, or is a cycle day thing? That would be a little concerning to me. Do kegels raise it up?

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

My cervix has been REALLY low ever since I got the IUD and Kegels don't seem to help much. My gynecologist swears the IUD has nothing to do with it and it was just childbirth, but I'm not sure whether I believe him. At any rate, he had to do an emergency C-section this afternoon so my appointment got postponed. I am so nervous. :

Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

The doctor had to do an emergency C-section early this afternoon, so he wasn't able to see me until around three, so I had to bring the girl along. Fortunately, she was fine.

He didn't believe me at first when I told him I thought the IUD was coming out. When he looked with his eyes (an activity my father always advised against), he didn't see anything unusual. When I told him the string had been OUTSIDE last night and I'd been able to feel the plastic, he said, "Really?!" and stuck his hand in there and sure enough, he felt the plastic too.

He said the IUD wasn't exactly coming out, but it was positioned too low in the cervix to provide reliable protection against pregnancy (except, I will editorialize, by preventing us from copulating!).

So, he took it out while I breathed slowly and deeply. Said we could put in another one after my next period--like I have $400 sitting around waiting for all of this to happen again--or I could go on the pill, blah blah blah. He said we shouldn't even consider sterilization until we're 100% sure we don't want another child, which, well, we're not.

After he left the room, I started crying, and my sweetles-pop got all wide-eyed: "What hurt?" I explained, "I'm crying because I'm sad," and her eyes got wider: "You're sad? Can I give you a hug? Can I give you a kiss? Are you better?"

Now I'm sitting at home with cramping and spotting and still near tears because I was totally relying on this as the answer to our problem of not being able to make up our minds about our family size. Even though I'm in a much better place, sanity-wise, than I was a year ago when we got it, I still feel like we're back to square one.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:19 PM

I'm sorry it was as you feared.
At least you're able to have sex again...sorry it's IUD-free and potentially baby-makin' sex.

Are there any programs to help you get low-cost birth control, ie, at Planned Parenthood? I think, in general, IUD's are great for the deciding time before sterilization. If they fall out, though, that's not so helpful.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 PM

well that just stinks.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am still really bummed and weirded out by this. Dh said yesterday that he absolutely does not want another child, which is fine because I pretty much feel the same way, BUT we both agreed that it's possible we might change our minds someday. At bedtime, dd had a meltdown and it took us 2 hours to get her to sleep (usually takes 10 minutes) and dh got angry and said he wanted to schedule a vasectomy right then. But after he calmed down he said no, let's not do anything drastic, let's just do fertility awareness like we did before dd.

Guess I need to check the batteries in my BBT thermometer and Xerox some charts out of Weschler's book before my next period starts.

I feel really odd. I need a hug.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:58 PM

Just offering a Juliacat.

I'm sorry.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Spark. I'm feeling better now.

User Tag List