IUD removal side effects - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an IUD put in about 3 weeks ago...it has been a nightmare since...

I am planning having it removed on the 22nd...I bled very heavily upon insertion and continue to bleed and cramp. I have a few days of progesterone to control the bleeding and I have had it checked to make sure it is in place

So what should I expect with having it out....will I have additional bleeding and cramping?

My son's birthday is just a few days after my appt and we are going away to celebrate and I want to make sure I will not be in bed bleeding excessively like I was when I had it in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-14-2008, 02:56 AM

I've never heard of this happening before but I passed out when mine was removed. It's actually the only time I have ever passed out so it is not like I am prone to doing that. I had it for 6 months and it was never right.
#3 of 11 Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 PM

I never liked having an IUD. I had a similar experience as you I never stopped spotting. I tried two types at different times in my life.

I don't remember anything significant about the removals except being grateful not to be spotting anymore.
#4 of 11 Old 04-14-2008, 04:09 PM

When I removed my paragard IUD last year, the side effect was immediate pregnancy

I've never had any problems with an IUD.

OT: I took it out myself, and you could probably remove yours. I credit Pamamidwife -- she said something like, We women need to take control of our choices and our bodies and our decisions, and I thought, "Yesssss! I've been wanting to make a doc appt to get this IUD removed but I'm going to do it myself!"

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#5 of 11 Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM

i had one for about two weeks, i think. it was the most awful experience ever, but i felt great like, that night that it was removed.
#6 of 11 Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM

You should never have been bleeding so much you were in bed! That's not normal. Did they do an ultrasound to confirm correct placement?

My guess is that you're going to bleed for another week after it is removed. I hope that is the worst case scenario.

What a nightmare. Stories like these are why I will never get an IUD. (Well that, and the fact that when I've seen them placed, it gives me the heebie jeebies super bad.)

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#7 of 11 Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yes my doc had me come right back (he was as surprised by my body's reaction as I was)

the IUD is in place...Last we spoke (the doc and I) my dh and I were going to give the IUD a shot in hopes that the side effects would wear off...but consider we are over a month later I am done trying
#8 of 11 Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 PM

I had a paraguard for about a year, was bleeding horribly (23 day cycles, bleeding 7-8 days, heavy for 4-5 days of it) and finally pulled it out myself when it felt like it shifted and I was suddenly having sharp pains. I cramped for a day or two, and then it was finished. Tried different birth control pills over the next two years, and finally got a Mirena about 2 1/2 years ago. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Mirena. I bleed randomly, most months not even enough to need more than a pantyliner. Rarely ever have cramps anymore (was having them both before and after I got the paraguard) and will absolutely be replacing this with another one when I hit my 5-year mark (though will probably take some valium before the appointment!).

At least with the IUDs, as soon as they're out, whatever problems you were having should be done, IME.
#9 of 11 Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 PM

I cramped mine out, literally. It was half out of my cervix when I grabbed the string and pulled it the rest of the way. It was easy and felt better immediately. I'd do it yourself now.

I had a mirena this year and loved it! It expelled too but not painfully.
#10 of 11 Old 04-17-2008, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

i totally agree and am completely comfortable taking it out but I asked the doc to trim the string super short b.c my dh and I have had issues with him feeling a diaphragm in the past...the strings are too short for me to get a good grip on.
#11 of 11 Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 PM

i had a question after iud removal did u get pregnant symptoms about two weeks later i have been getting symptoms i took it out myself on sept 5th and i have been having sex ever since then . i took a pregnancy test but it might be too soon to tell if i am pregnant. did u also get these symptoms bad headaches sore boobs lots of fatigue dry mouth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page