so who thought they never wanted kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-04-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well I am someone who never thought I was going to have children, nothing medical just never liked kids, especially babies
everyone who knew me in my teens and early to mid 20's they all knew I was never going to have children

and then I met my husband and he had a daughter who was 6 and she was super sweet and he was just so wonderful with her, was one of the things that made me fall for him

and I dont know what changed seriously, I am a full on mommy and we have THREE daughters together now and are debating #4???!!!! Like when and how did that happen??!! now I love kids and babies for sure and its just so strange, I look sometimes at pictures of me with the kids and I think "wow is that really me?"

anyone else?

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

#2 of 22 Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 AM

ME!
I detested kids. When i was 13, my mom had my little brother, i never babysat or changed a diaper, nothing. Then i met dh and it all changed, now i have 2 and believe i will have another someday.

CPST
#3 of 22 Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 AM

I never wanted to kids. I wanted a career. I really really wanted to get my masters in Biology and spend my life researching obscure biology subjects. My sophomore year of college I met my DP. We were together about 6 months and we were VERY excited to have a baby on the way. lol

My family couldn't believe and what they really cannot get over is this I have just simply put my Dreams aside for a while. I spent the firs two years of college in the research field and LOVED it, but the truth is you cannot do that and be an attentive parent at the same time. Some of the professors I worked with had kids and were rarely with them. I couldn't do that.

I do know that I don't plan on having any more childern. I have even considered getting my tubes tied. But I haven't completely decided yet though.
#4 of 22 Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 AM

I'm the opposite--I loved children and wanted at least half a dozen of them, but now that I have one, I'm finished.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#5 of 22 Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 AM

me! (although i don't have any yet, but i will)
#6 of 22 Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM

I could probably be included in this. Its only been in the last year or so that I wanted kids. Im actually still kinda squimish about babies in general (tho i think they are much cuter now lol).

I get it honest tho. My mother never wanted kids and kids and babies are generally shunned upon in my family, so my mother is going to be really THRILLED when i do finally become pregnant *sarcasm*.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#7 of 22 Old 05-05-2008, 06:20 PM

Not long before I found out I was pregnant with DD, I had declared that I didn't want kids. I don't know what I was thinking since I've always liked kids and was even an elementary education major for a while.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#8 of 22 Old 05-05-2008, 11:25 PM

Well, I always loved kids and was good with them but I never wanted any of my own...I was happy just being a cousin and aunt. Then I got pg (unplanned) and m/c....and after that dh and I decided to try for another because I found out how much I thought I wanted kids (I was really heartbroken). Another m/c later I had dd1 and we decided she was going to be our one and only. Then we had an oops and along came dd2, she was for sure our last! Well, my cycles decided to go all wacky on me and I ended up p/g again (this pg). DH IS going for a V because eventhough we LOVE our kids, I really don't think dh and I were really cut out to be parents....eventhough everyone in the family thinks the opposite....but for our sanity this HAS to our last one. I will also be getting my tubes tied to be extra sure that we don't have any accidents.
#9 of 22 Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 AM

Oh, me! me! me!

Mine was a complete and total surprise unplanned pregnancy.

I LOVE DS to pieces, but I never wanted kids and have a reeeeally hard time considering having another.

I just don't 'do' kids. I struggle. I manage, mind you, but I struggle.

I cannot wait, however, to be a parent to an adult child. When, if ever, I pictured myself having children, it was always to adult children. I could just fast forward to 21 and be happy. But since it's not possible, I'll definitely be making the best out of the next 19 years!
#10 of 22 Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
I could probably be included in this. Its only been in the last year or so that I wanted kids. Im actually still kinda squimish about babies in general (tho i think they are much cuter now lol).

I get it honest tho. My mother never wanted kids and kids and babies are generally shunned upon in my family, so my mother is going to be really THRILLED when i do finally become pregnant *sarcasm*.

My family never really was excited about having kids. The interesting thing was my Mother had four kids and I still remember her harsh feelings about babies. Babies on my mothers side of the family was a thorn in the side of the family. There's like 13 grand kids too LOL.
My dad's family on the other hand welcomed New babies with open arms. Every Sunday dinner with a new baby was all about the NEw baby..that is until another one came along. I remember two cousins who weren't happy they were about to deliver within the same year LOL.
#11 of 22 Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Most of the people I know! My 41 year old brother has no children, my 36 year old sister only felt the urge a couple of years ago and has a one, and she says only. My 43 year old sister never wanted kids, but fell in love and had two. I was the only one in my family who 'knew' I wanted them.

As for my friends...I was the first person in my circle to have children. Of those who did finally have kids (not all have), most of their kids are very young, and my oldest is 19. I grew up and spent my college years with people who did not want kids.
#12 of 22 Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 AM

Thats very much ME!!!! as well! hehe

I NEVER wanted children. In fact ...its a good thing my son was an 'accident' - because I dont think I would have him now or that we would be planning our second! I love children so much now and I really would go on to have as many as my body could if we could afford it but I think two will be all our budget can handle - though I am thinking of adopting when our two children are older, we will be much older then as well but at least more financially capable!!!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#13 of 22 Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 AM

Me, too!

Originally I thought I would have kids, even though I didn't like 'em all that much after some traumatic babysitting years. Then DH and I were married and settled, and I was so happy with our life that I really, *really* didn't want kids!

DH eventually said "now or never" on the kid issue, and we took the leap. I spent my entire pregnancy wondering if I made the right choice and even now sometimes long for the life we would have had without DD. But I also know that the second she came out, I was head over heels. I got lucky with a great kid, and I turned out to be a pretty good mom to boot, plus we're having tons of fun.

But another? Um, still torn on that.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#14 of 22 Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 PM

Me! I was never gonna get married (been married 18 years) and never gonna have kids (we have 6 and would love more). As they say, people plan and God laughs!

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#15 of 22 Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was so sure that I had a tubal ligation 6 years ago. My DS is 16 months now and I pray there will be more

I am amazed at how much I love being a Mom and how my life has changed in the past 2 years! I could not be more happy with my "botched" surgery! DH and I always joke about my "crappy surgeon" who also delivered our son
#16 of 22 Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 PM

Hi, not here very often, but this post caught my eye.

Me, me, meeeeeeee!

Never, never, NEVER wanted kids growing up. Wasn't around them, family wasn't into or good with them, few spectacular babysitting disasters...swore up and down for many, many years that I'd rather die.

Then my ex and I agreed to have a baby. Pregnancy sucked, the first year was hell, but I love him to death and have found my stride as a parent. Found a love for my son and children I didn't know I had. Would very much like to have another now as well!
#17 of 22 Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=cutekid;11148516] Babies on my mothers side of the family was a thorn in the side of the family. QUOTE]

This is exactly my family's view on kids. To them, you've officially thrown your life away if you have kids.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#18 of 22 Old 05-18-2008, 02:12 AM

I liked older kids, but never had anything to do w/babies/small children - I was an only myself, & just not interested in having children. After many years of being a teacher to middle school age kids, they started looking more interesting, I'd done many of the things w/my life that I wanted to do, & I started thinking about how, babies DO grow into regular people in just a few years... so I went & had 2 babies just before turning 40

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#19 of 22 Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 PM

me! i was always sort of ok with not having kids and then in March 07 i thought i got preggers by accident. when i thought i was already preggers i was actually quite happy about it.

then, of course, AF showed up and i was amazed at how sad i was. that told me that it was time to start thinking about it. took a while for hubby and i to talk it through, and now we've been trying.

however, i have to admit, the idea of it all still freaks me out a bit! i sort of wish they came as toddlers, not such fragile little things!

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#20 of 22 Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 AM

My husband and I both said no kids. One night we were careless with the family planning and here we are parents. I love it and I couldn't be happier.
#21 of 22 Old 05-24-2008, 09:51 PM

totally me. i have DS - 6 wks - and being a mommy. hate being pg, love being mommy. i still don't get super crazy about other pp kids, but mine is awesome!

nak

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#22 of 22 Old 05-24-2008, 09:55 PM

I never wanted kids, ever. Then I met my husband, who loves kids and is so good with them, and I decided I needed a baby, like right then! We have 2 now, and I think we are "done", but I still can't believe I have 2!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page