This whole evaporation line thing is killin' me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so I have heard so many different things about evaporation lines that, now I am thouroughly confused~Many say that if it appears its grey, or its an indent in the paper others say that it can in fact be a color (blue in this case) Anyway I took a pregnancy test last night (target brand) and it said negative (no line) but when I went to throw it away an hour or so later there was a blue line indicating positive~I know after 10 minutes the results shouldn't be considered valid but this has happened to me before, twice~when I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd, the Dr did a routine pregnancy test before putting me on birth contol~I left with the prescription in hand only to receive a phone call 30 minutes later telling me that when she went to toss the test out she looked at it and it said pregnant~The 2nd time was with my 4th child~I knew I was pregnant but it came up negative and later after the 10 min the line was there~I took another and nothing~A few days later it was confirmed that I was pregnant~so I am not sure what to think~only one test had this line after 10 minutes~Anyone know the facts about evaporation lines? what do they look like and what color it should be?
#2 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 03:31 AM

Have you gone to Peeonastick.com to see what your tests do as far as evap lines. I never got any evaps on First Response Early Result or Answer Early result. I also didn't get any evap lines on the newest dollar tree tests, but there did seem to be a slight shadow near the test line.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't but I will~thank you!
#4 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 12:50 PM

I always thought evap lines were colorless until my experience with Target tests. I too got distinctly blue lines (on 2 tests) and turned out to not be pregnant. The lines darkened after the 10 minutes but I could swear that at least one of them appeared within the limit.

Anyway, just wanted to post my cautionary tale. I'm sticking to pink-dye tests in the future, preferably FRERs. Good luck to you -- hope you really are pregnant if that is what you are wanting.
#5 of 12 Old 05-23-2008, 01:42 PM

I hate blue dye tests.

try a pink dye test or a digital
#6 of 12 Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 PM

I never have posted anything...but having read this thread I feel the need to. Last night I took 3 target brand early pregnancy tests. All three came back within the time limit with a thin/faint blue postive line. I didn't know what to make of it, but I have read that any line indicated +. So this morning to be sure I used the FMU and another brand (equate) pregnancy test. The target brand did the same thing and the equate was clearly -. After researching the web it seems that this is a common error of the target brand pregnancy test. I don't know what to believe at this point. I guess I will have to wait a few days and test again!! This is absolutely unacceptable product preformance from my view point :. I am calling tomorrow and complaining. Unbelievable! Thank goodness I haven't been trying that long... but I am sure there have been many tears shed over these false +. Spread the word ladies!!!
#7 of 12 Old 06-06-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern_Mommy78 View Post
I never have posted anything...but having read this thread I feel the need to. Last night I took 3 target brand early pregnancy tests. All three came back within the time limit with a thin/faint blue postive line. I didn't know what to make of it, but I have read that any line indicated +. So this morning to be sure I used the FMU and another brand (equate) pregnancy test. The target brand did the same thing and the equate was clearly -. After researching the web it seems that this is a common error of the target brand pregnancy test. I don't know what to believe at this point. I guess I will have to wait a few days and test again!! This is absolutely unacceptable product preformance from my view point :. I am calling tomorrow and complaining. Unbelievable! Thank goodness I haven't been trying that long... but I am sure there have been many tears shed over these false +. Spread the word ladies!!!
you should send a report to peeonastick.com

and welcome to MDC!
#8 of 12 Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern_Mommy78 View Post
Welcome to MDC. I was one of the heartbroken who got 2 thin faint blue lines on Target tests. I really thought I was pregnant and was devastated when all other brands showed a negative. It's good to get the word out.
#9 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Is this the general concensus about teh Target two lines test? That they tend to be pretty inaccurate? I have had two positives that showed up faintly closer to the 10min mark. I was very excited about being pregnant but since yesterday, I have just kept in the back of my mind that I am not. So disppointing! I just wonder about these because I have searched and searches about the accuracy of them and can't seem to find anything except about the +- ones. I used a blue test with my first and got a faint positive then and was pregnant, now I've had two this time and was hoping but I guess I will call it a negative. I don't know...I already told people...looks like I learned a lesson!!!
Kristina
#10 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM

I don't think I would necessarily call it a negative. Just a "maybe." I'd test with FRER and go with what that says. Evaporation lines are not nearly as common with them. I've had 2 blue evap lines with Target tests and none with FRER. Good luck!
#11 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 04:01 PM

the pink dye, two line type of test is much better than the +/- tests - if you used a pink dye one and the line is pink (even if faint) and showed up within the time limit it is a positive.

I agree - retest with a FRER, or even wait a few days and try again
#12 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 PM

go to www.craigmedical.com and order their HPT pregnancy tests. They do not ever have evap lines. I used them when TTC both of my kids. I prob went through 100 of their tests. I would pull them out of the trash, hours and sometimes days after I took them just to double check and see if I could find a line. There was never ever even a hint of an evap line.

When I got prego with dd I woke up one morning KNOWING I was prego by the way my boobs were. But of course I wanted the test to confirm...I was only 8 dpo though. So I peed on the stick and there was no line. I pulled the test out of the trash a few hours later and took apart the test so I could *really* see it I know I'm not the only one who does this! Anyways when I held it up to the light in just the right way I could make out a very faint line. My dh insists to this day he couldn't see it. But I was pregnant! So even the line that showed up an hour later was accurate. I their tests. And they're fairly cheap too.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page