Recently found out I'm pregnant (have Paragard IUD) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2008, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe my circumstance is unique, but I wanted to post and see if there was anyone else out there in the same predicament. I did a search for my IUD, but felt no strings, so I don't know if it got dislodged or if I just wasn't searching in the right place. I took a pregnancy test Friday night and it was positive. Kind of a shocker for my fiance and I because this is the second time birth control hasn't worked for us and the second time we've defied the odds and became pregnant.

I do have plans to make an appt with an OB, but am just concerned with what my risks are as far as miscarrying or what other complications there might be (besides a possible ectopic pregnancy). It's the weekend, so I'm not yet able to schedule an appointment, but hopefully I will be able to see someone right away.

I just thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone else became pregnant with an IUD and if their baby fared okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008, 11:26 PM

Hi-

I didn't have this happen to me, but I wanted to tell you that I'm here in the world today because of an IUD failure.

Back in the seventies there was an IUD know as the Dalcon Shield that turned out not to be quite as effective as hoped and VOILA! Here I am.

My mom has told me that she had a lot of the same concerns that you are expressing, and there is some risk involved with a pregnancy that begins while an IUD is in place, but I'm living proof that it can turn out to be totally uneventful as well. I remember her telling me that the risk was mostly involved with the process of removing the IUD in order to allow the pregnancy to continue. If your IUD is no longer in place that risk would not even apply to you.

Good Luck.

Miss Chris
mama to Maggie (3/1/06)

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
Old 05-25-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Chris View Post
Hi-

I didn't have this happen to me, but I wanted to tell you that I'm here in the world today because of an IUD failure.

Back in the seventies there was an IUD know as the Dalcon Shield that turned out not to be quite as effective as hoped and VOILA! Here I am.

My mom has told me that she had a lot of the same concerns that you are expressing, and there is some risk involved with a pregnancy that begins while an IUD is in place, but I'm living proof that it can turn out to be totally uneventful as well. I remember her telling me that the risk was mostly involved with the process of removing the IUD in order to allow the pregnancy to continue. If your IUD is no longer in place that risk would not even apply to you.

Good Luck.

Miss Chris
mama to Maggie (3/1/06)
What she said. If your IUD was expelled there is nothing to worry about, and even if it wasn't that doesn't necessarily mean there is, just like Miss Chris said, the biggest risk is removal.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:34 AM

My mom got pregnant in the 1980's while using an IUD (I don't know which kind) and well my little sister is here.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 PM

My SIL is an IUD baby from the 80s too. She is perfectly healthy and graduated college last year and is now off in Asia teaching English.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update on me.... my story is not such a happy ending.

I went into a crisis pregnancy center on Tuesday for a limited ultrasound. The RN found what she believed was my IUD in an ultrasound along with a gestational sac, but no detectable heartbeat and no "halo."

I was told to make an appointment to see a doctor ASAP. I called the community health center and got an appointment the very nexy day. The nurse midwife that's usually there was on vacation for 3 weeks so an FNP that was familiar with IUDs saw me and probed for my strings twice. She had my quantitative hcg levels tested and the results came back within a few hours. My levels were at 70,000, so I was send to the hospital immediately with fear that it might be an ectopic pregnancy.

The doctor that saw me at the hospital ruled that out. She also probed for my IUD and did a transvaginal ultrasound. She explained that it was a molar pregnancy, meaning there is abnormal tissue, but no baby would ever become of it. So, she marked me down as having a non-viable pregnancy and Friday, I went in for a D&C. I have never been so scared in my life.

Now they will be monitoring my hcg levels weekly to make sure it returns to zero. From what I've read on the internet, they may also check it monthly for the rest of the year. Obviously they advise against getting pregnant for another year. My fiance and I are going to talk to Planned Parenthood about him getting a vasectomy.

Hopefully the trouble stops here and there are no other complications to deal with. I am relieved in a sense, because this baby would have been coming at a terrible time (fiance being unemployed, me starting school next month and being the one to look for a job while he takes care of our 18 month old). Anyway, I just wanted to put my experience out there.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm so sorry.

I would like to encourage you to look through the boards about permanent BC before you pursue a vasectomy. There have been a lot of threads on the topic and plenty of people warn against making that decision during a time of emotional upheaval.

Again, I'm so sorry, I'm sure that was frightening and sad.

peace to you,

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10

User Tag List