Copper IUD and Side effects - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#421 of 589 Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A good link if you have time take a look ladies http://www.blogtalkradio.com/fredamooncotch/2012/12/13/julie-casper-on-undernourishment-your-health

A very Merry Christmas To Each of You..and many blessings in your year and much health.

#422 of 589 Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 AM

I removed my copper IUD (Paragard) at home after 7 months of use.  I am posting this for others who are thinking about self removal....  I was tired all the time, had joint pains, swollen abdomen, achy back, and zero interest in sex.  I thought it was due to my age.  (I am 38 with 4 children.  I do not want to be pregnant again.)   I thought to myself "How could I have gotten so old in just a few months." (I had copper iud inserted 7 weeks after my last child was born in April 2012).  I suffered for 7 months before decided to self remove. I am so glad I took it out.  I am feeling better already and it's only been about 16 hours.  Fair warning to those who attempt to remove at home....I read many stories online of how the IUD came out easier than a tampon, that was not the case for me.  It took awhile to get a good hold on the string and I did slow, easy pulls and it did not want to budge.  But I knew I wanted it out, so I went for it and gave a long, stronger pull.  I was very nervous.  It did get stuck at the cervix area and I freaked out.  I yelled for my husband and told him that he might have to help.  I felt my cervix and it was mishapen due to the "T" shaped device pushing on it.  Gave one last pull and I was "free".  Tad bit of blood.  I was ok, but shaky for about an hour.  The entire ordeal was scary, but I would do it again to be free.  Cause "free" is what I felt like once it was out.    Just know that there are risks if you try self removal at home.  I live right across from a hospital, so that gave me some comfort in case things went wrong.  Once I got a good hold on the string...it was out in less than 1 minute.  It was a long 60 seconds, though.  

#423 of 589 Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Hi, just here with a 4 month post iud removal update. I feel much better. No more swollen abdomen, I can drink alcohol without getting sick, I have a high sex drive (the thought of sex repulsed me when I had the paraguard), PMS is not even half as bad as it was, and anxiety and heart palpitations are gone. I feel better! Get that nasty little thing out!
#424 of 589 Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 PM

I've been on both the Paraguard and Mirena for about 4 years each because I desperately didn't want to get pregnant either time and it's the only BC that works for me. The IUDs did their job but I had terrible cramps, diminished sex drive, felt the IUD inside (uncomfortable at times), anxiety and irritability. I hope and pray that I never have to use an IUD again. I remember when both were inserted as they were painful for me. I cried out and crawled up the chair during the insertion and cried after the removal, I have heard this isn't typical but it happened with me both times. Glad they are out and it's over!!! Good luck ladies.

#425 of 589 Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM

I had my second IUD implanted about 2 years ago. Since then I've experienced all the same symptoms as others have listed and I also had been told by several doctors that none if my symptoms would have been caused by the IUD- in fact in all cases they diagnosed chronic IBS!
I have taken matters into my own hands and have had the IUD removed and I instantly feel different!!! I already feel less bloating and the constant cramping has gone!...IBS indeed!!! I feel like I've been on a wild goose chase for years altering my diet to no effect. I shall wait to see if my other symptoms such as the weight gain, depression, hair loss and low folate levels are relieved!!
I guess, I would say, us ladies know our own bodies!!!!
#426 of 589 Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM

I have had mine for 3 years after my second daughter was born and im just realizing what is going on with me. It has been absolutely terrible the past 2.5 years. My anxiety is HORRIBLE especially a week before my period, depression, mood swings, no sex drive, constipation (IBS), teeth grinding,  trouble sleeping, extreme fatigue to name a few. I have noticed that im not really allowing myself to get close to anyone and its so frustrating because the past 2 years has been bad, the doc put me on depression meds for awhile it helped with the anxiety, depression,and sleep problems  esp when i was PMSing but after 5 months on them it just felt like it wasnt working. I have no energy for anything anymore and i had no idea what was going on with me, ive been so emotional and its driving me insane. I was in the army for 6 years and i loved working and being around people and now i get anxiety when i think about getting out there in the world. I tried school and i just couldnt concentrate, its been terrible. I really thought i was loosing my mind and i have been so lost as to the cause of it. Life has been stressful and i figured that was why but all my emotions have been extremely hightened and usually i deal with things much better and im not afraid to tackle the problems but now i get anxiety when i think about what i NEED to be doing and i just wanna crawl under a rock. Physically i havent had any weight gain, or dicharge but i have had back pain and muscle and joint pain, im ALWAYS cold, i drink TONS of coffee and diet soda, i have cravings for sweets that i never had and i cant drink because if i even have 2 beers i have the worst hangover and i get sick. My life has changed so much for the worse and everything you ladys are saying i have gone through and I had no idea why till i read this thread and im soooo happy i have answers but im scared at the same time that i will get this thing taken out and i wont go back to normal. That thought gives me enormous amounts of anxiety and it scares me, i just want my life back and i want to let people in and have friends, i dont want to be scared to go through life. I got a doc appt today so hopefully it gets taken OUT!

#427 of 589 Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM

Hello,

I am so glad I found this thread. I know this is a mothering site, however this thread pertains to me even though I don't have kids. I wish I had seen this before I got the cooper IUD put in.

My doctor only told me good things about the coil and I should have gone with my gut and not gotten it put in, however I was using it as an emergency contraception.

From the min it was in which was only for 3 weeks I was on constant pain and on codeine for it. I had abdominal pain and many of the symptoms you have all described, anxiety, headaches, tender bb's and bloating. I felt horrible like I wasn't myself.

So I got it out asap and it has been out for about 3 weeks now, and my cycle is messed up and my breasts are tender again and I'm just not feeling great, not sure if its PMS or withdraw symptoms. I know it wasn't in for very long, but my doctor said after wards, that apparently my body is very very sensitive to things. 

If you could let me know how you are all doing a few months after removal, as these symptoms are only bringing back my anxiety.

Its great to know other people are in this boat too, I don't mean that in a bad way.

- s

#428 of 589 Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Yay- I finally got mine out yesterday! I was going to see if I could just pull it out myself, and for the first time couldn't find the strings. So the midwives got me right in, and luckily the strings had just slipped up into my cervix. Whew. I was afraid that after finally deciding to get it removed, it had gone and implanted itself into my uterine wall or something.

I'm having some sharp, shooting pains in my cervix area now, but I'm guessing that's normal for just having it removed. Otherwise, no issues- it was WAY easier (and less painful) getting it out than in.

I'll be really curious to see how my PMS is next month, since it's been getting progressively worse over the past 2 years with the Paragard. I'll try to come back and post an update.

How were you after the removal ? How was your pms ? I should be getting my period any day by period is messed up but I'm feeling like I did on the IUD mine had been out about 2 weeks. I think it's all the extra hormones . I just want to cry and feel better - s
#429 of 589 Old 02-17-2013, 11:18 AM

I 35 and I have 4 children and did not want to be on the pill and I will not have my tubes tied so i decided to go with an IUD. I have a copper IUD. For two years no problems. Thinking that the device may be effecting me
in negative ways because recently i have had
sinus trouble, acne, felt scatter brained, low
sex drive, had swelling in my Abdomine and
worst of all i have been moody/depressed.
My normal manner is very happy in fact my nick name is Sunny.
I recently started eating even better and i
am exercising more. I was looking and
feeling pretty good. How ever still having acne, dry sinus trouble and the other simptoms i mentioned is bothering me so I
have been doing some research and found some factual information.
I plan on having the IUD removed.

I think copper like iron is important but in
foods and natural sources.

Here is some important info about copper;

COPPER AND YEAST INFECTIONS

Our bodies use copper to help control the growth of yeast.  This may be because
copper favors aerobic metabolism, the type
of cellular metabolism that human beings
should have.  More specifically, copper,
along with iron, is required for the electron
transport system, where most of our cellular energy is produced.
In contrast, yeasts and fungi are anaerobic.  This means they ferment sugars for their energy production.  Thus, when copper is not available to the body in sufficient quantity, aerobic or normal oxygen-using  metabolism is crippled to some degree, while anaerobic metabolism or the fermentation of sugars flourishes in such an environment.
For this reason, for example, copper sulfate is often sprayed on crops to kill yeast and fungus.  Copper is also used in some swimming pools and hot tubs to control yeast and bacterial growth.

COPPER AND THE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM

Women tend to have higher levels of copper than men.  Women also have more symptoms related to copper imbalance.
Premenstrual syndrome.  The symptoms of PMS mimic the symptoms of copper imbalance.  This occurs because estrogen levels and copper levels correlate well and both increase before the menstrual period.  For this reason, taking extra zinc and vitamin B6 before the menstrual period can often lower copper enough to reduce the symptoms of premenstrual tension for this reason.  At times, however, the cause of PMS is more complex.  For more information about this, however, read Premenstrual Syndrome on this website.
Other symptoms related to the sexual organs include amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, fibroid tumors, ovarian cysts, pelvic inflammatory disease, fibrocystic breast disease, endometriosis and possibly pelvic inflammatory disease.
Miscarriages and infertility.  Copper required to hold onto a pregnancy.  Studies indicate that women with low estrogen and often low copper have more miscarriages.  This is important for some women to know.  Correcting the copper imbalance can help immensely with normal pregnancy.  Infertility, on the other hand, is more common among women with elevated or biounavailable copper.  This may be due, in part, to weak adrenals that, in turn, give rise to copper imbalance.  Fertility problems, however, can be due to many factors.
Low libido in women and men.  This is also linked to copper imbalance.  Since copper raises the hair and tissue calcium level, women, in particular, with very high copper levels or hidden copper on their hair analyses, often lose interest in sex.  Their energy declines and the body can become a bit “numb” because excessive tissue calcium tends to render the nervous system less sensitive.
Low sexual interest in men is also related to copper, which interferes with zinc metabolism in many instances.  Men’s sperm and fluids are very rich in zinc.  If they become depleted, male fertility and male sexual performance will always suffer.  Most of the time, these problems are easy to overcome by correcting the levels of zinc and copper in the body using nutritional balancing methods.
Estrogen dominance and copper.  Copper-toxic women are often estrogen dominant.  This means they have more estrogen in their bodies, proportionately, than they have progesterone.  However, we rarely use progesterone therapy.  In fact, even natural or bio-identical progesterone therapy may be poorly tolerated in copper-toxic women and even men.
It also tends to be a little toxic, so we avoid it if at all possible.  Instead, if we balance the copper, the symptoms of estrogen dominance such as premenstrual tension, vanish quickly and completely.  Biounavailable copper and progesterone and body shape.  Other women, usually those with biounavailable copper are low in estrogen.  Their bodies are often more linear in shape and less “curvy”.  Of course, copper is not the only factor affecting hormones.  Some pesticides, for example, mimic the effects of estrogen and can affect the hormone balance.
Men and copper imbalance.  Boys and men are far more affected when copper is out of balance than are women in many cases.  Men should be zinc dominance.  While most women have more copper in their bodies, men, by contrast, should be zinc-dominant.   Zinc, a 'masculine' element, balances copper in the body and is essential for male reproductive activity.
Among the boys, symptoms that are most prominent are growth and developmental delay, ADD, ADHD, autism and related brain disorders.  Among men, symptoms of copper toxicity, usually, include prostate enlargement, prostate infections and to some degree prostate cancer.  Others include ED or erectile dysfunction that used to be called impotence, depression, anxiety and even violence.  Others are testicular pain and testicular cancer in some cases.
Secondary sex characteristics and copper. Secondary sex characteristics are aspects of sexuality that are more mental and emotional than they are physical.  For example, some men just love sex and women, while others are less sexual.  The differences have to do with hormone levels, and often with the copper imbalance.  Homosexuality, for example, is often related to copper levels for this reason.  This is true for women as well as for men.
Birth control pills and copper IUDs (intra-uterine devices for birth control) .  These two birth control methods definitely affect copper metabolism in the body.  While some women can handle them, others experience depression, anxiety, personality shifts and many horrible side effects from them, either acute or chronic. I found this information helpful. Hope to feel more like my self soon.
#430 of 589 Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM

My husband and I decided not to have kids anymore, and after doing some research, I opted for copper IUD. The doctor explained to me that it's non-hormonal, only side effect is some heavy bleeding and crampring in the first few months of the cycle when my body adjusts to it.

I had mine put in on July 2012. Now, Feb 2013, I am experiencing the following

- weight gain of 6 kgs, despite eating a high fiber diet of mostly vegetables and vegetable protein, little animal protein and exercises 3x a week. Good elimination as well. My weight had been steady, and IUD was the only change.

- cramping and heavy bleeding during periods

- anxiety

- sluggishness, tiredness

- slight depression

- acne

- low sex drive

- left hip pain that spreads through the left thigh, and at times debilitating.

It's the left hip pain that started me to research on the effect of copper IUD. And I found many women reporting this on the internet. The  interesting part is most are reporting left hip pain, not the right side.

So I went to the clinic yesterday, and the nurse is denying that the symptoms I am experiencing has anything to do with the IUD as it's non-hormonal. Anyway, I told them I want the IUD removed. I have a doctor appointment for removal after my period next month. 3 long weeks away...

Not sure if the symptoms I have are all because of the IUD. If the symptoms disappear a few months after IUD removal, then it is the IUD. It takes time for the body to adjust.

#431 of 589 Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM

I had my copper IUD removed last August in 2012 it made me terribly sick!! I thought I was anemic so I took Iron and then caused a horrible reaction. It made the copper intensify giving me a copper poisoning. I had and ER doctor who flat refused to remove it said it was all in my head. I was losing feeling from the waist down and my legs would burn and hurt at night when I laid down for too long. I lost so much feeling I couldn't even feel the sensation of going the bathroom. Because of this rude ER doctor and having this IUD in me for about 10 months I had Planned Parenthood remove it and one of the facility members trying to tell it wasn't made out of copper and other told me it was made out of copper. Isn't it wonderful how big PHARMA works!!  I looking for lawsuits against this IUD and what caused me. I have filed for disability because I already had an autoimmune that I am learning now is really Lyme disease and it's a cover up because insurance doesn't want to cover it. I watched the movie "Under the Skin". You learn a lot by venturing out and listening to other countries and doctors from other countries. The USA likes to like all for the sake of money!!!  If there is a lawsuit I would love to hear about it and submit to it until then thank you for creating this forum geek.gif

It has been nearly 6 months since the IUD has been removed and still I feel sleep feeling sensations in my feet from it that I never had before. Luckily everything else has disappeared that it created I think???

#432 of 589 Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM

I gained like 30lbs from being on the copper IUD for 10 months. I didn't remove it despite how ill it made me feel because my boyfriend at that time refused to use condoms. Needless to say he says it isn't his fault and all these people on the blogs are wrong and the doctors right and yes I think he's an ASS!!! But economically with my little girl I have no where to go at this moment. Every time I bring this stuff up he just walks out and ignores me. I am glad to hear people are getting this IUD out and the word is spreading!! That makes me happy the more women know the less get hurt and the less money big PHARMA gets!!

#433 of 589 Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 PM

Hi. I had a para guard copper iud put in oct 2010. i was always a very high on life kinda of girl. Always bouncy with a smile.The first thing I got was the heavy periods and horrible cramping. I went to the doctor and she said it was normal and my body would get use to it. Never did and just got worst. i would feel lightheaded and dizzy from them. Be in pain in bed for a day and over time a couple days. Over the months i started to get real bad acne and slowly gained weight. and started to develop allergies,having night sweats, restless legs at night, my circulation got bad.Joint pains.i started to develop anxiety and it got progressively worst and everything i tried didnt work. I went to the doctor and i was discourage again to get it out and just needed therapy for my anxiety and only thing was my iron was low and to take iron, and it didn't seem to help. i was always tired, heart papulations. i was depressed, racing thoughts paranoid and anxious. I went to therapy and a psychologist and they said nothing was wrong with my head and it wasnt me and it was my relationship.I felt like i was going crazy.but knew i wasnt crazy and no one was believing me. after my break up due to the anxiety and panick attacks. i had the iud taken out jan 2013, when my brother commented i was way to pale and sick looking. shortly after I had it out my body went thru a detox, with my whole body burning and needle like pain and was crippling for 3 day i could barely walk, like feeling hit by a bus.and and stuff was coming out of me. I had a banana before that happened and found out that potassium can trigger a massive detox. I was very into taking my vitamins and what not and never heard of copper and zinc in my life. I feel like my old self again, balancing my body back to what it needs. it was literally like i was dropped into a brighter reality from the dark world i was in for so long for the last year and half.

Update, during 6 months of detoxing.

Many things I have found out. Advil is a blood thinner and side effect many have also contributed to my condition and anemia.
The first 4 months were up and down and I had problems gain the weight back. I am 5'6 and my lowest was 114lbs. I was taking zinc 15mg a day, vitamin c and omegas for the arthritic pain. in the morning and my regular vitamins at night. liquid vitamins. I had a high protein diet, eggs and poultry. I also supplemented with whey protein with glutamine in it. At first I was detoxing way too fast with too much zinc and found a lower one and was still having some anxiety. I have moderated and slowed down to 5mg of zinc, vitamin c, cod liver oil and the basic vitamins. as for the iron i am off and my iron is better. I been exercising to rebuild my muscles and have been slowly gain back my weight. as for pain, it is pretty much gone as well as the anxiety. My diet is still high protein, but i have my veggies again. So far so good. I just wish that copper toxicity was a label side effect. cuz i would of red flagged it and gotten it out alot sooner.
#434 of 589 Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM

I had a copper IUD for 3 years. My periods went from 4-5 days of light flow to 7+ days with a heavy flow and cramps. I tolerated the difficult periods because I didn't notice any side-effects at that time. About 2.25 years after insertion, my periods started getting really irregular. I would go anywhere from 14 - 60 days in between cycles, with occasional break-through bleeding in between. During the first 2-3 days of my cycle, it was not uncommon to soak through a super plus tampon in less than an hour. My PMS went from bad to horrible, and I was prone to frequent mood-swings. I found myself lashing out at loved ones, uncontrollably weeping, or anxiously trying to sleep at night. My anxiety was totally off the charts. Not only was I worrying constantly about every small detail, but I was having panic attacks, paranoia, and stress/anxiety in social situations. As if the anxiety wasn't bad enough, I was hounded with racing/erratic thoughts. I didn't feel like myself and I seriously thought I was losing my mind. It was terrifying! On a whim, I googled "IUD depression" and stumbled upon this thread. I spent the rest of the day researching and had my IUD removed shortly thereafter. It took about 2 months after removal for my menstrual cycle to stabilize, but my periods are back to being regular and no longer last for 7+ days. YES! The first few months post-removal were really challenging and I didn't notice much of an improvement in my anxiety or depression. However, slowly but surely, I started to feel like myself again. It was like emerging from some kind of dark, oppressive haze. It's been 6 months now since the IUD has been removed and I feel 100% back to normal, at last! I am beyond thankful to have found this thread and I hope other women will make the connection between the copper IUD and anxiety/depression. 

#435 of 589 Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM

A Ceewiggles I am so glad to have read your post just now. I had my IUD removed in November and am just now feeling completely back to normal. The cloud is finally moving on. I have four kids and babysit others, work part-time, and am home with the kids by myself a lot, so I do still get stressed at times (but it's a normal kind of stress now). I don't feel hopeless, useless, or lost. I am not moping around the house, lounging in bed or on the couch in between chores. I now have the energy and motivation to keep up with my children. It wasn't right away for me like some. I have had good days and bad over and over, but I finally feel like the bad days (from the effects of the IUD) are behind me. 

#436 of 589 Old 02-26-2013, 05:02 PM

#437 of 589 Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 PM

its been months since i last posted, dec 2012. so a link for your review ...this is the diet i have been following since 8/2012 - I am feeling MUCH better doing this. Its hard for me as i have 3 children to feed as well and my hubs, however i am making it work 90% of the time. i ask you to read, think it over and give a few weeks to see if it helps you to not only dump toxic foods from your diet but allow a moment to possibly feel better. i was very surpirsed when i started to feel better eating this way, paleo/ lower carb no guten. its ALOT ..I know...baby steps , i don't even do all orgainc as financially not possible for me. i also continue to allow myself one cup of reg coffee daily w/ stevia.  anyone else on here following something like this?? so here is the link and keep up with your storeis of healing, hope, tips & tricks to detox your body of this menacing copper.  http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/slow%20diet.htm

many blessings, oklahoma

#438 of 589 Old 03-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Hi

This my story.

I returned to my home town 2 years ago after 13 years away - within the first three months I met up with an old school friend and started a relationship. I had the copper iud inserted as we don't want children till we've married and for those first 8 months I had pains in my hip, extreme fatigue, horrendous periods where I would faint, vomit and sleep for days on end, paranoia, pms, anxiety, uncontrollable emotions, aching joints, nightmares and insomnia and a low libido. I truly thought that it was just the settling into being home. I changed my coil to a mirena to minimise the bleeding as I thought this was my biggest problem but soon discovered that the mirena was much worse in all aspects except the bleeding.

I had the mirena in for 3 months if which I might just have been in a mental health hospital. My depression and anxiety increased a thousand fold, I felt disconnected to everything around me, cried for no reason on good days and felt nothing at all on the worst days, I felt like I was lost in a nightmare and again no libido. My poor boyfriend.

So after two months of arguing with gp,s I had it taken out and slowly felt like I was returning to normal. We were not having sex so weren't worried about pregnancy but I REALLY wanted to (yeay!) so having talked to the gp we arranged for me to go back on the copper coil and mefanamic acid to control the bleeding. Within a week I knew something wasn't right. Having had such a good few months I could feel myself slipping backwards and frantically started looking to see if the copper iud could be causing my depression and anxiety - what a surprise that yes it was. I found that zinc, vitamin c, vitamin b complex and milk thistle tincture have really helped keep my head above water but I am aware that thier effectiveness is diminishing with time so....
Back to the Doctors and they again offered me drugs for everything from depression to hypothyroidism all of which i refused and have said I will try if the coil removal doesnt work and they have now finally agreed to take it out. So in two weeks time after my period has finished it's coming out and I will be a happy bunny once more. CAN'T WAIT! And will definitely keep you posted.

Good luck everyone. Give these threads and any others you can find to your doctors. Anecdotal evidence is almost as good as empirical evidence and the doctors should be made aware of the thousands of women who are suffering unnecessarily.

Xxx
#439 of 589 Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM

OMG!!!!!  Am I ever happy to have found this forum!!!!   The copper IUD has totally ruined my life and I have soooo many of the symptoms each of you have posted!  I had the IUD removed about 3-4 years now, and while I feel better than I did when it was inserted, every single day is still a struggle.  I used to literally crawl to my bed on hands & knees at the end of the day and yet each time I asked a doctor if it could be IUD related, they all said no. 

I have been arguing with Dr.s for almost 10 years now that my health issues are related to using a copper IUD.  I've also spent the last approximate 3 years intermittently looking into what I could do about suing the company but up until now, I could never find any forums like this about others with the same issues.  I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to hear from anyone on this forum from Canada (as our laws differ from the US) who would like to support a class action law suit / investigation against Canadian copper IUD manufacturers.   I would even like to hear from those of you that feel better after having it removed.   If there is not already a lawsuit started, I have no problem being the organizer to spearhead the lawsuit, I just need people willing to give testimony or get involved in making sure this product gets removed from the market.  

Also, I think I saw something on one of the posts about a Facebook page for this?  If there is one, can someone please send me the link. Thx!

#440 of 589 Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM

Hi Nikk18,

I was just reading your post.  One of the things I discovered with my use of the IUD was that I have developed food and beverage allergies, including but not limited to dairy, all wheat, rice, caffeine, alcohol and many more.  It took me years to figure it all out and it often felt similar to a panic attack.  See if excluding some of these items from your diet helps. 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/916122/copper-iud-and-side-effects/340

Hi Ladies,

This is my 3rd post.  I posted my symptoms earlier, but I am now having more things go wrong.  EVERYTIME I EAT, I GET A PANIC ATTACK within 10-15 minutes!!  Has this happened to anyone else??  I am starving!!  Its like now all of the sudden I am allergic to food!!  So now right after I eat I take a shot of Jack daniels to keep the panic attack at bay.  This SH*T just keeps getting worse!!  My husband and I talked about me getting the iud out and we decided it would be best for him to get a vasectomy first.  It is not wise for me to get pregnant again due to health issues.  But I dont think I can handel another month!!!  We read that if you have it out when your not on your menstral cycle since the cervix isnt soft, the strings can come out leaving the IUD in and you have to have surgery to have it removed.  Well we dont have ins. so that would be to costly!!!  I am so scared all the time, and I am so sick of the anxiety and panic attacks!!!!  Im sorry, Im venting.  But noone understands me, they think its all in my head!!  Well I was VERY level headed until this stupid IUD!!

#441 of 589 Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 AM

I can't believe how happy and relived I feel to have stumbled on this thread, I've never joined one before but felt I must.
I had a copper coil fitted 18 months ago after my 3rd child after not getting on with d pill or mirena coil I felt this was my only option at first a heavy period was fine but gradually d symptoms have built up, I have back and joint pain, fatigue, anxious, extreme heavy periods ( for 2 days I can go through a pad and tampon in an hr) my lst period lasted 11 days wiv a slow start then heavy, pms (I'm like a crazy woman), I also have ovulation pain more on d right coupled wiv a heavy clear discharge tho this is now blood streaked I wear I pad for what feels like weeks of each month, head aches and I lost loads of hair which I thought was normal just after d baby, but it stopped and has returned and comes out in little clumps every where and I've been left wiv a noticeable thinning spot on one side.
After reading some of other people's comments to my husband he said "did u write that? it sounds like you!" I've made my appointment already to have it removed. Hopefully it will make some difference.
#442 of 589 Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Hello, not sure how to place my post and looks like the previous posts are not current, I am a mum but an old one at 66, but have recently had a shock whilst having an internal scan the coil i thought had been removed in 1983 was still in there!!! could this explain the many problems i have had over the years... i wonder.. not a nice thought that this copper iud was inside me for more than 30 years .. how many professionals over the years have let me down one would think it was noticeable when having a smear test. So mummies be aware. x

fkothansen likes this.
#443 of 589 Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 AM

I was curious to how much copper is released from an copper iud, and it is very hard to find that information. I ran across and article from 1982 and the T200 iud back then the copper corroded as much as 45mcg- 25mcg a day for the first two to three years. the recommended copper for a person is 2 mg with about 15mg of zinc and all the other good stuff. How can doctors call that safe? Effective yes. Knowingly toxic, most likely. I had the paraguard T380, the 380mmsquared, more copper than the T200. Makes me wonder why they don't tell you this in the side effects, because they do know it is above the recommended copper intake and is absorb.

http://www.k4health.org/sites/default/files/022858.pdf B-107.

another link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2763772

Abstract

The clinicopathological problems of the tissue effect of copper-containing IUDs are discussed. In the third part of their series, authors present the cytochemical analysis of the endometrial scrapings. For the investigations, dithizone, salicylaldoxime, rubeanic acid as well as dimethylglyoxime were used. The reaction precipitate, the copper dithizone complex, could be visualized partly intracellularly and intramitochondrially and partly interstitially. The technical problems of copper demonstration are also dealt with.

PIP:

Electronmicroscopic-cytochemical analysis offers the possibility for study of endometrial scrapings associated with use of copper IUDs. Dimethylglyoxine, saliscylaldoxime, rubeanic acid, and dithizone were applied to the scrapings, which were then postfixed with 1% osmium tetroxide. The reaction precipitate was examined by x-ray diffraction and energy-dispersive analysis. This method appears to be capable of detecting pathological, accumulated copper ions. Electron-dispersive metal dithizone complexes were identified intracellularly and intramitochondrially, interstitially between the cells, in the connective tissue cells, and in the material adjacent to the copper IUD. No reaction precipitate was observed, however, by dimethylglyoxine, saliscylaldoxime, or rubeanic acid. This is the 1st investigation to detect cytochemical trace elements in endometrial scrapings of tissue adjacent to a copper-bearing IUD. It supports the conclusion that, when in place for a long time, copper IUDs interact with endometrial cells and induce connective tissue formation. When locally absorbed copper ions enter the circulation, they may influence or block enzymatic reactions as well as influence trace element metabolisms such as the copper-cadmium balance in the kidneys, liver, and intestinal mucosa and the copper-zinc balance in breast milk. A possible domino effect of such reactions should receive further investigation.

There are studies of increase copper levels in tissue as well.

http://www.naturalhealthprotocol.com/copper-excess-toxicity-low-energy-and-chronic-fatigue.html

#444 of 589 Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Hi Bella, it was intersting to read your information could you possibly tell me where you found this info as am looking into neglect..It is worrying we accept these things with good judgment without having the full facts. I have been treated by the hospital and doctors surgery as though it was nothing.

#445 of 589 Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM

Hi Ladies, 

I have started two Facebook groups for the purpose of starting class action law suits against the companies that manufacture and distribute the copper IUD.  Please join the groups, invite others, share your stories, and send in your official testimonials to send to the lawyers. 

USA group:  CopperIUDClassActionUSA@groups.facebook.com

Canada group:  copperIUDClassActionCanada@groups.facebook.com

L
ook forward to seeing you over there and working with you to stop these companies from harming others. 

#446 of 589 Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 PM

Ladies! 

Thank you for all of your informative stories! I am crying right now because I've been suffering from these same things and I always thought I was blowing things out of proportion. I have had my copper IUD for 4 years now. Ever since the beginning my periods have become longer, and heavier. I spend half of the month suffering from 'symptoms' of an upcoming period. I have been miserable. I suffer from depression- and it has become increasingly worse. My body is never recharged after sleep and my anxiety is crippling at times. I suffered from post partum with my son (he is 5) and assumed my struggle with depression would be an on going battle. After my husband and I split around 3 years ago I assumed my depression was from our separation.

My body feels too old for my age (32). This is not a way to live. 

I am having my IUD removed. Whether my body is trying to expel it or toxicity.... it needs to come out. 

I will keep you all posted! Thank you for the support.

#447 of 589 Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There is this FB group as well. The owner has een actively working with lawyers to get a class action lawsuit started.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paragard-Dont-GET-ONE-Women-helping-women-to-be-informed/183953164966198
#448 of 589 Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Am trying to find another report I read. It was a study done on rats and copper iud in the presence of semial fluid caused a copper release of 9 to 40 times. so there are studies that ph affect the amount of copper released in these devices. this video is good information on why the medical system is failing us and helping big pharma. reallly the whole system needs to change. I am glad I found this forum, It may help other woman, and really alot more people of what has been happening. The iud is just to a tip of the iceberg of the front of the pharmacutial industry and how it hurts and manipulates people and how mineral  balance is important to the body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAZVpsd2Nao

#449 of 589 Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 AM

I have been on prozac since i was pregnant with my 2nd...once i had baby i was depression/anxiety free...i had the copper coil inserted when my baby was 6 months old, a month after having it put in i started to feel anxious have irrational thoughts massive panic attacks pain in my legs ahh the list is endless...i kept thinking why im feeling like this when my prozac worked fine for me up until having that devilish thing inserted!!

After reading your comments i am soooo taking mine out...i am a very very hormonal person so when i researched an found the copper on the coil actually interfers with ur nervous system etc i thought baaaaam!!!

Hopefully i will feel better asap and go back to my 'normal' self again!

Xx
#450 of 589 Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 PM

Hi, how are you feeling now? Did u manage to tke the coil out?

[quote name="trina1922"

url="/community/t/916122/copper-iud-and-side-effects/420#post_17233384"]I have had mine for 3 years after my second daughter was born and im just realizing what is going on with me. It has been absolutely terrible the past 2.5 years. My anxiety is HORRIBLE especially a week before my period, depression, mood swings, no sex drive, constipation (IBS), teeth grinding,  trouble sleeping, extreme fatigue to name a few. I have noticed that im not really allowing myself to get close to anyone and its so frustrating because the past 2 years has been bad, the doc put me on depression meds for awhile it helped with the anxiety, depression,and sleep problems  esp when i was PMSing but after 5 months on them it just felt like it wasnt working. I have no energy for anything anymore and i had no idea what was going on with me, ive been so emotional and its driving me insane. I was in the army for 6 years and i loved working and being around people and now i get anxiety when i think about getting out there in the world. I tried school and i just couldnt concentrate, its been terrible. I really thought i was loosing my mind and i have been so lost as to the cause of it. Life has been stressful and i figured that was why but all my emotions have been extremely hightened and usually i deal with things much better and im not afraid to tackle the problems but now i get anxiety when i think about what i NEED to be doing and i just wanna crawl under a rock. Physically i havent had any weight gain, or dicharge but i have had back pain and muscle and joint pain, im ALWAYS cold, i drink TONS of coffee and diet soda, i have cravings for sweets that i never had and i cant drink because if i even have 2 beers i have the worst hangover and i get sick. My life has changed so much for the worse and everything you ladys are saying i have gone through and I had no idea why till i read this thread and im soooo happy i have answers but im scared at the same time that i will get this thing taken out and i wont go back to normal. That thought gives me enormous amounts of anxiety and it scares me, i just want my life back and i want to let people in and have friends, i dont want to be scared to go through life. I got a doc appt today so hopefully it gets taken OUT!
[/quote]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page