Copper IUD and Side effects - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#481 of 585 Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

When I have more time I will tell my story in more detail, but for now I will just tell you that I am so very confused and angry about this.  Since I got my Copper IUD implanted 3 years ago I have been on a seemingly never-ending emotional roller coaster that has nearly killed me.  Although I have a history of mild situational depression, and a slightly more severe case of post-partum depression after the birth of my daughter in 2008, I have never experienced such desperate hopelessness as I have since having my IUD implanted.  However, within 3 months of the insertion (my daughter was nearly 2 at that point), I became so emotionally unstable and insane (for lack of a better word) that I tried to end my life.  I spent over a week in the ICU after overdosing on Motrin and other medications, and another week on a regular medical floor before I was able to go home to "hopefully" recover.  

I am an early educator who is passionately in love with my line of work and am a wonderful mother; but because of my suicide attempt and emotional instability I was ordered only supervised visits with my daughter for 6 months after getting out of the hospital- which nearly killed me all over again.

I stopped taking any and all psychotropic medications that were so freely being prescribed to me after my daughter was born, and that along with the harsh realization of what I had almost so selfishly accomplished, I began fighting my urges to cut and leave the world before my time.  However, it has not been an easy road... I am still incredibly emotionally sensitive- when my husband does something that I perceive as wrong I become a nasty, vicious, immature witch, immediately followed by a sad, needy, weepy, "victim".  It literally never occurred to me that I could possibly be suffering from some obscure side-effect of my IUD.  I was told "no hormones, no problems" when I was originally trying to decide on a birth-control method after my daughter was born, and I'm angry I wasn't warned about copper toxicity or any potential psychological side-effects of the copper IUD.  If anyone else has experienced something similar to us that have posted here, PLEASE share your story so we can help each other and others who may be considering this method of birth control.

I am going to do some deep research, talk to my doctor, and hopefully get to the bottom of this.  Thank you again for sharing.

Alicia

#482 of 585 Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 PM

Hey there Alicia and other new posters,

Feel free to visit this great Yahoo group in which we all help one another detox from the IUD - it's a great support system and is a safe haven for us suffering from the IUD.

Here is the link: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/copperiuddetox/

Best,

Julie

#483 of 585 Old 08-01-2013, 09:56 PM

Hi there,

Any one is welcome to join this Yahoo group which is a great support system for detoxing from the IUD: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/copperiuddetox/

We are all just a bunch of women who are either in the process of getting our IUD removed or have been detoxing for a few months and continue to detox some more.

Hope to see some of you there :)

Here's to health and happiness for us all!

Best,

Julie

#484 of 585 Old 08-01-2013, 10:58 PM

Hi Ladies, I ran across this link in another group leading to a medical lawyer. Someone is listening. May help bring awareness to the issue of the unlisted side effects.

http://www.drug-lawsuit-lawyer.com/tag/paragard

http://www.drug-lawsuit-lawyer.com/medical-devices/paragard-lawsuit-06212013

#485 of 585 Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 AM

Im so glad I found this site! 

It had come to my attention in recent weeks that I may have copper toxicity related to my IUD. 

I got mine in 2008.  I didnt want hormonal birth control anymore and this seemed like a godsend.  That same year I started having chest tightness, increased headaches, numbness and tingling in my my left arm.  I went to the ER and was told it was anxiety.  After all I was in nursing school so it seemed plausable.  The next year I graduated and also went through a nasty divorce. After that time it got much worse and I had difficulty sleeping, was mildly depressed, but still happier than today.  I got a good job, in a relationship for 3 years now to a great guy. Have 3 great kids.  What is my problem?  Here is my symptoms:

insomnia

racing thoughts and unable to wind down at bed time

headaches

feel out of touch

always overwhelmed

elevated blood pressure

anxiety

panic attacks (only had 2 last year), then stopped caffeine, now caffeine causes major anxiety and panic symptoms

slow metabolism

frequently sick

achey feeling in muscles, like Im coming down with a cold

depression for no reason

hopelessness

difficulty with sleep regulation (but I attribute this to shift work)

cold extremities

weight gain

tired during the day even after 8 hours sleep

.....just to name a few....

Just feel physically unwell.  This has all lead me to stop exercise because Im so wiped out.  Ive lost interest in everything I used to enjoy doing.  I couldnt seem to pinpoint the cause.  Ive been to multiple doctors and they tell me I have anxiety, saw a counselor.  A friend of mine was seeing a holistic doctor, but he was an hour away.  I thought, "I would do anything to feel like I did even 2 years ago".  I went and he was amazing.  He suggested my IUD might be the culprit.  In addition, I might have suboptimal thyroid functioning and adrenal exhaustion.  After doing a bit of research I certainly fit the bill for all those conditions.  He is running all kinds of labs on me including vitamins, thyroid, adenal tests including a saliva cortisol test, and of course copper.  Ive always just attributed my symptoms to stress but now my stress is really minimal.  I shouldnt be getting worse.  I still have my IUD, but put in a referral for removal.  I am then going to plan for sterilization.  I just want to cry right now because I miss the old me.  I was so happy to be alive, and now Im just going through the motions. 

It makes me to sad to know that so many women have gone through stuff like this.  I will post more on my test results.  Part of me still feels like it cant be real, and that maybe this is all in my head.... no pun intended.

#486 of 585 Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Ive had a copper coil put in a couple of weeks ago. Since then i have bled. I just assumed it had bought my period on a little early. Although it is very heavy. I can cope with this although im hoping it will stop soon. Has any one had a good experience with the copper coil or are they all bad?
#487 of 585 Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 PM

So here i am nearly a year after having the iud removed, and i still do not feel back to normal yet. i still feel that i have many of the symptoms i feel the iud brought on, and just can't seem to feel like myself. Is anybody else experiencing the same months or years later? I just feel unhealthy at this point. :-(
#488 of 585 Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Hi mommy2225,

Have you taken a chance to look at/join our Yahoo group? We all help each other to detox from our copper symptoms.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/copperiuddetox/ is the link if you'd like to check it out. I'm sorry you're not feeling better :(

Hugs,

Julie

#489 of 585 Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 AM

So I got my IUD today. Seriouslly about 2 hours ago! I came to google looking for answers. I was told NOTHING would happen with the IUD in. Its noon here, and Im laying on the couch while my other kids are outside playing and the baby is napping. I am having pain my left leg, and my left chest is aching. My chest feels heavy and I am nasious. I am having lots of cramping and bleeding. I also have a fever! After reading everything you guys have wrote I called my obgyn and asked to have it remove. Just waiting to hear back. I guess its either NO sex or I be extra careful which is fine anyway as I am not having sex. But I am deffently getting this thing out. The pill is no option for me it makes me majorly sick, I have tried the needle in which I was literaly on my period all hte time except maybe 3 days a month so I am no longer trying any birth control. I am scared and even more now after reading all of this! Just wanted to let you ladies know you helped me even though I already have it in. 

#490 of 585 Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 PM

I had a Paragard IUD for 2.5 months, and just yanked it out of there after reading this forum. I've had increasing levels of panic and anxiety, to the point where I'm pretty much unable to function. Enough already!

I'm curious as to why people think that copper toxicity is the culprit, rather than an imbalance of prostaglandins, which could cause weight gain, hair loss, joint problems and anxiety for sure. 

And thanks to everyone who posted here for sharing your stories! I feel so validated and supported, just from reading them. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

#491 of 585 Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsticks26 View Post

Ive had a copper coil put in a couple of weeks ago. Since then i have bled. I just assumed it had bought my period on a little early. Although it is very heavy. I can cope with this although im hoping it will stop soon. Has any one had a good experience with the copper coil or are they all bad?

I think that though some people have problems, a lot of people have fine experiences with them. But like most things on the Internet, you won't find forums full of people looking for support for their perfectly fine experience. winky.gif I had one for 2 years without issue myself. I hope you have stopped bleeding since you wrote this post! If not that would be worrisome. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#492 of 585 Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM

i took mine out 2 days ago. i suffered for 5 years not knowing what was happening to me. was so irritable. very impatient with my kids and hubby. less motivated about things. the most thing i was sad about was the periodic disorientation. i struggled with memorizing and retaining info tru my last year of nursing school. i was easily enraged. i went on my knees 5-6 times a day asking God to help me, teach me how to mold my character. wondering where the unprovoked anger came from.sometime i could feel the craziness in my head it was so real. i can not count how many times i said to myself. "i am going crazy". i blamed it on being in my mid thirties, stress of bread winning, lack of social life ect. i used to be a very energetic person, could s pend the whole day cleaning my house, was happy go lucky, loved, joking, was very playful ,loved  laughing....... but life became too serious. i found myself crying for no reason, could not stand the sound of my kids playing and yelling for joy.i was highly anxious. thank God for lack of Insurance i am sure i would have gone in to see a doc and would have been on multiple meds for anxiety by now.but thankfully i found these posts by these lovely women,  summoned the courage to take out my IUD myself and in JUST TWO DAYS....i am in a very different place emotionally. my energy is back like boom boom bam. the rage gone. i feel calmer, more hopeful joyful. i am still in recovery. but I thank God. i am taking Zinc and iron supplements and lots of water. thank you all for taking the time to share u story it has helped me get my God given life back.

mommy2225 likes this.
#493 of 585 Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM

i cried so much reading ur post. i have felt so guilty over what a beast i had become to my kids also wondering what they think of me.the only times i managed to remain calm was when i was tryna give my husband the cold treatment when yelling and all else had failed. even then my kids will say why is mama so quiet today. i went on my knees so many times asking God to help me with my character. i start out my day yelling at them and end the day yelling at them . i get so easily frustrated trying to teach my 5yo her sight words.I could not teach my kids anything like a normal person, i had to yell be so so so angry. my relationship with Gos is what restrained me from useing cuss words even then i sometimes slipped. i could go on and on. i am amazed by how much better i am already feeling in just 2 days of taking out my IUD.. i KNEW I COULD TRUST GOD TO HELP ME. I am looking foward to my hair growing back on the top of my head, to more increased energy. to no more periodic disorientation. to doing well in school now that i am going back to pursue my Masters, to being the woman my hubby fell in love with, to loosing the weight , to shenking the unexplainable fatigue and lack of sex drive the anger rage yelling, irritation the MADNESS AND CRAZINESS. to being joyful playful and light hearted again. i can totally relate to u. thank u for sharing God bless you so much

christinefug likes this.
#494 of 585 Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Sooo i had a post on here awhile back an i wanted to give a update. I had my copper iud removed june. An since then ill so admit that i feel so much better no caca smelly discharge anymore not crazy mood swings an no crazy mean cramps... Me an my fiance are getting along so better an so much depression as went away. I prey that everyone else goes as mine did back to normal smile.gif
#495 of 585 Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Toulah.. I too had mine in for 6 years and after reading your post and a few others about the rage, I'm connecting mine as well to the iud... I get so frustrated at my kids and yes they know when I cuss at them, that mom is mad ( which is happening more frequently) I feel horrible when I do but I can't help myself at times.. I'm keep putting off getting mine out ( my husband is gettin a vasectomy in a few weeks) and I'm tryin to hold out till then, but I hoping my anxiety goes away and energy comes back to where I can live a normal life.. Please keep us updated in the next few weeks on how you are feeling
#496 of 585 Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 PM

Oh boy I wish I had seen this thread a year ago or more!!

Thanks all for sharing.

I had my copper iud for 3 years and was just so sick of the 14 day bleeds and it wasn't until I Googler how to remove it did I discover all these documented side effects!!

I removed it that very night and now 1 week later I am still waiting to feel better.

My symptoms, which I could never pinpoint what they were caused by as all else in my life had stayed the same, were (are):

Immediate weight gain including a spare Tyre round my belly that I had never had before

Despite running 7 miles a day and 1200 calories NO weight loss

Hair loss, lack of lustre and thinning

Dry skin

Extreme fatigue

Anxiety, rage and jealousy for every young good looking woman I passed (despite assurances from my adoring husband that I was hotter at 43 than ever)

Lethargy

Depression

So I went and got tested for everything and discovered vitamin d and iron was dangerously low. I live in California so that was odd. I also had hyper thyroidism which was further diagnosed as graves disease.

I did research and am now gluten free and feel much better ESP as I had high doses of iron and vitamin d.

I am hoping so much that all my symptoms will disappear now that my wretched copper iud is gone. Interestingly, I did have a copper blood test done at one stage which said it was at a low level. How odd.

I am due for my period any day and hope that I feel better after that. So far I feel no different but I will keep y'all posted.

Take care everyone and thanks again for taking the time to post xx
#497 of 585 Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 AM

I just want to thank everyone who has written about their experience with the copper coil. I have just had mine removed what a relief ! I thought I was going mad had only had it in a month - but had one previously for 7 yrs - different model - with no problems apart from heavier periods and bit of PMT nothing I couldn't handle. The 10 year one was a different story it was very traumatic having it put in I had a very heavy period straight after which was so painful I thought I must have an infection. This lasted 7 days and after that seemed to settle down for a week or so.
10 days before my period was due I started feeling anxious panicky not over anything in particular - I could not sleep and my mind was racing constantly things could not be done quick enough I was flying off the handle - told my partner that off he sniffed again I would punch him in the head ! I am usually pretty calm and level headed ! I have had to have time off work as I could not cope with anything. I became a nervous wreck. I was so relieved to read this forum and when I looked at the effects of copper toxicity decided to have it removed straight away - removal was easy compared with all the rest but I burst into tears when it was out it was such a relief - the nurse looked shocked at my reactions ! My GP does not believe the coil could have caused the symptoms and is testing me for hyperthyroid which has similar symptoms - I will have the blood tests and I am sure they will be fine . I want the doctor to acknowledge that what I have been through is the side effects of that coil.
#498 of 585 Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 AM

Hi ladies. Im just windering about the copper iud i had put in a few months back. Im on anti depressants any way but ive had such a low mood where i dont want to do anything, have low motivation and allways sleepy. Just wondering if this had anything to do with the iud. Has anyone experienced this?
#499 of 585 Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsticks26 View Post

Hi ladies. Im just windering about the copper iud i had put in a few months back. Im on anti depressants any way but ive had such a low mood where i dont want to do anything, have low motivation and allways sleepy. Just wondering if this had anything to do with the iud. Has anyone experienced this?

Sounds to me like it could be your IUD but hard to guess if it could be a reaction to your antidepressants. Perhaps ask your dr for a different antidepressant and if that doesn't work then it could be the IUD. I had always had a sunny personality prior to my copper iud but after it had been in for a while I turned into an anxious, depressed person.

#500 of 585 Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 AM

OMG! I am so glad I found this thread. I had copper IUD and suffered from the worst depression of my life, always had an uncomfortable feeling down there, could feel the presence of the foreign object inside my body, hair loss, fatigue, weight gain and body inflammation. I also had a lot infections. I do not remember all the symptoms now.

I had it inserted after my son was born in the summer 2006.

When i finally decided to take it out in April 2008 I went to a doctor and explained my symptoms. She never took me seriously. When I argued that there is a possibility that copper IUD might cause some undesirable symptoms in some women, specially considering the fact that the exact mechanism by which IUD works is not fully understood she still dismissed my concerns.

I took it out and slowly started getting back to normal. 

I just searched "copper and hair loss" and found this very informative article.

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm

the Lesson learned "Be careful what you put in your body"

#501 of 585 Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 PM

I'm supposed to have the Paraguard inserted next month and after reading everyone's story, I'm scared. I'm super sensitive to hormonal birth control and it takes away my sex drive. So my Gyn said Paraguard was the best choice for me. I already have anxiety at times and may be suffering from mild depression so the last thing I need is something that will make it worse. I'm reading on here that alot of people are feeling hormonal from the Paraguard. The whole point of me getting that particular IUD is no hormones. Ekkkkk I don't know what to do?!
#502 of 585 Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 PM

UPDATE: After having my paraguard in for 6.5 years I had it removed last Thursday.. It's only been a week and my energy is in full force so much so that I fall asleep at 8:30 pm from going all day long and then I'm wide awake at 2 am ready to go (of course I don't stay up for the day) I wake back up at 6:30 and going all day without that feeling of losing all my energy at once to the point of it was scary, it would feel like I can fall over at any time.. My sex drive is coming back too which is always good .. I'm glad I made the decision. AND the OB Dr. Documented all my symptoms and he also had an intern with him that day and they both said they are going to do research on the side effects and he was very interested in learning a out them, so that made me feel good that he didn't dismiss my concerns.. As far as removal, split second it took to remove it, minor minor cramps for a few days and very minor spotting.. My husband goes on Monday morning for a vasectomy so no more bc for me..
#503 of 585 Old 09-27-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael25 View Post

I'm supposed to have the Paraguard inserted next month and after reading everyone's story, I'm scared. I'm super sensitive to hormonal birth control and it takes away my sex drive. So my Gyn said Paraguard was the best choice for me. I already have anxiety at times and may be suffering from mild depression so the last thing I need is something that will make it worse. I'm reading on here that alot of people are feeling hormonal from the Paraguard. The whole point of me getting that particular IUD is no hormones. Ekkkkk I don't know what to do?!

I read this thread too and was petrified to get it (didn't want the hormones in Mirena).  This is just anecdata, and its only been two months, but I have had no issues with spotting, cramps, or anything else discussed in this thread.  So far I'm just kicking myself for waiting so long. 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#504 of 585 Old 09-28-2013, 04:30 PM

Hello' I wanted to give a follow up of my story.. it's been a year now.. though can find my story on page 8 of this thread.. So again it's been a year since I got the Copper IUD out and it took a couple months of drinking tons of water eating only salad and chicken and of course taking the stress b complex and magnesium and I am more than happy to say..I am back to my normal self.. please let me know if you ha ave any questions or neex help sbm31480@
BiveyD likes this.
#505 of 585 Old 09-28-2013, 04:30 PM

actually email os sbm21480@hotmail.com
#506 of 585 Old 09-29-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael25 View Post

If you get it - just monitor yourself VERY carefully. I too thought it was brilliant until after about 5 months when I noticed I had a roll of fat on my belly (that I'd never had despite having put on a bit of weight now and again over the years (and then losing it))..... then I put on a bit more weight, put it down to lifestyle change and getting older.... and then put on a bit more. So I decided to start running and dieting to lose it - and couldn't. In the past I had easily been able to lose 2-3lb a week but I was struggling to loose half a pound. Went to the doctors to see what was wrong - nothing was and the doc just said it was old age that meant I couldn't lose weight as fast. 

Meanwhile, I started getting a bit depressed, assumed it was because I was fat and then I got tired.

Got my hormones tested and they were fine.

See.... all these things I found excuses for and never once put it down to the IUD as after all it was inside me and I never gave it a second thought.

It wasn't until I pulled it out and then read about all these side affects did I put 2 and 2 together and feel like I was really ripped off for the years I had it in.

It's been out for almost a month now and have lost 10lb and my anxiety levels have really dropped.

So please just monitor yourself and hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones that it doesn't affect too badly.

BiveyD likes this.
#507 of 585 Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 PM

I had my paraguard 3 years, removed today and feel slightly better already. The last three years have been hell, I wish if known sooner that the iud was to blame. The heavy long periods weren't as bad as the spacey fog headed confusion and panic attacks. I thought I had a brain tumor or MS from all of the weird symptoms I was having. The only thing that made it go away was drinking:-( so I drank a lot of wine. The panic / anxiety attacks were embarrassing and debilitating, I would space out at work or on public and feel very out of reality. I wish I had found this thread sooner!! I am going back to the nuvaring, it worked we'll in the past for me. I just hope I continue to feel better.
#508 of 585 Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 AM

update 4 months after removing my IUD - I feel great. i'm back to hiking and running, i lost weight ( even before I started exercising)  , I feel so much better. I never feel dizzy like i did, I'm having more fun with my kids. I did have dizziness occasionally during the first 2-3 months after IUD removal - the "detox" took time. It was never as bad as it was when the IUD was inside. The improvment  was immediate. Within days I was feeling better. 

Please spread the word, these IUDs are terrible. 

I'm on the pill for 3 months or more. I don't have these side effects from the pill. 

BiveyD likes this.
#509 of 585 Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 AM

HI, Ladies

I want say that this website has me in tears 4 in the morning and wanted to take the opportunity to explain the blessing that has come out of this for me. Lately My husband and I was noticing more arguments and unstability in our relationship lately. The other day he told me I was Bipolar and to look in the mirror, and arguing over something really minor. My feelings was real hurt when he said that "one minute you are nice to me and the next you are mean". That had me thinking than, but the last straw for me was when my 2 year was crying I got irritated and also every little thing my husband did irritated me. I notice more and more my family who spend more time with me were the victim of my wrath. I noticed almost a year now I have been getting more depressed and unbalanced in my life. I didn't feel like myself and my daugther is one now and thinking to myself, why I don't feel normal yet and so angry. That's when it hit me that I have been feeling very hormonal/ emotional, and woke up and looked up the side effect and found this site. I woke my husband up and read some threads together, and I wanted to literally go in the bathroom and take this thing out of me. Same side effects I am currently experiencing is perfectly clear there's nothing wrong with me as a mother wife sister friend but its this foreign object. Which was explained to me that was non hormonal and only side effects were heavy period cramps. I am up 4 in the morning waiting for it to be 9 in the morning so I can call my mid wife and have her set an emergency appt for me asap. Because I will not and refuse to be one of those mothers who didn't know what the hell went wrong and next I'm on the news. These money hungry DR, should be ashamed of their selves, peoples lives, kids, husband are at risk here !!!! Due to something that is so wrong as the Para guard. 

#510 of 585 Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 AM

Thank you Ladies :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page