Copper IUD and Side effects - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#541 of 587 Old 02-28-2014, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you on any medications such as steroids that would be suppressing your immune system and therefore causing thrush?
#542 of 587 Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 PM

Thank you for the reply.
I'm not on any medications, only Fluconazole, that help to fight thrush. I have to take it every week to keep it away, otherwise is keeps coming back. I have tried everything. So now I'm beginning to think it may be connected to my copper coil.
#543 of 587 Old 02-28-2014, 05:59 PM

I have read of yeast being related to the IUD. High copper lowers the immune system, allowing yeast to take over. 

#544 of 587 Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 AM

My immune system is ok. I don't really catch the cold often. I have been tested with sugar level and I'm not diabetic. I got coil in November 2011 till December 2012 everything was fine. Then I had my braces fitted. Not sure if this things are somehow linked together. I feel so helpless and frustrated. Only thing I can think of is to take coil out, hopping that will help.
#545 of 587 Old 03-01-2014, 08:28 AM

I don't get colds much either but I an prone to treat infections and utis. I figure that is how a weakened immune system demonstrates in me.
#546 of 587 Old 03-02-2014, 03:00 AM

Do you have the same problem? Recurrent thrush? I'm not sure what to do. Take coil out or not? Is not guarantee that coil causes me the problem.
#547 of 587 Old 03-02-2014, 03:28 AM

Yes, although I've dealt with yeast for years, before the iud. Do you have any other symptoms? Do you take a probiotic?
#548 of 587 Old 03-02-2014, 03:35 AM

Do you have iud, then? I have been tested several time, all results came back confirming thrush. When I have it, they are typical thrush symptoms. I do have probiotics, but it was only 10 days treatment. It didn't help much. Which probiotics do you take?
#549 of 587 Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM

Yes, I have the Paragard, it is coming out this weekend though. Google "paragard yeast"-there are a lot of stories of women having the same issue. I like Udo's Super 8. It is specifically formulated for yeast. You should take it daily for awhile at least. I took it for 2 months, then switched to the cheaper Udo's

#550 of 587 Old 03-04-2014, 02:30 AM

I have IUD TT380 Slimline Copper Coil. But I guess I will give a try and take out. Hope this will help. I'm not on probiotics at the moment.
And the one you take, can you buy in UK? If yes, where can I get them from?
#551 of 587 Old 03-04-2014, 09:02 AM

I'm not sure. I'm assuming you guys have health food stores/Vitamin Shoppe? They should have a good variety. Just try to get one that is refrigerated.

#552 of 587 Old 03-13-2014, 01:25 AM

I just removed my IUD myself this morning.

My experience with the Nova T (November 2013- March 2014):

Insertion was an awful experience, I'm not sure if it had something to do with the forced dilation of my cervix (I'm 22, no children) or what, but I almost passed out and almost threw up. It was horrid. After it was in, things were just fine though, once I ate a few crackers and recovered.

The first few months were just fine, albeit heavier periods, which I was expecting and a bit of spotting. I had thinner periods, which I have heard can be due to copper being a blood thinner (I'm not sure on this).

The next few periods after the first 2 have been unbearable, paralyzing lower back pain. I could barely move. I work outdoors and hike around in the bush all day, and I was taking days off due to this. My period flow became explosive, I couldn't contain it. In addition to these things, my acne has increased 10 fold, I spot and cramp badly a week before my period, I have had numbness in my hands, and pain during intercourse.

I'll have to see how these things improve over the next few months, but I would not recommend an IUD to my friends, although everyone's experience is different.

My home removal went very smoothly, I just grabbed the strings with clean hands and slowly but firmly pulled. I had a brief moment of nausea/dizzy ness while removing just like insertion, but it was gone after 2 minutes. No cramping, no spotting and already feeling great! (At this point I'm sure my feeling great likely a placebo effect)
#553 of 587 Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 PM

Omg! I can not believe what I have read! I have had the copper coil for over 11 years !! I'm 33,first one after my first born in 2001 then removed to try for second baby and refitted at around 12 weeks baby is now 20 months old - and it's only since my consultant suggested I remove it before surgery and try the marina coil (progesterone only coil) - that I've questioned the coil -that coupled with the fact that I did noticed along with other people that while I was without the coil (& pregnant 3 months later) I lost weight, ( yes even when pregnant! Not over weight 5ft 7 and just under 11 stone) I felt so much happier and calmer etc etc... That I've been questioning my coil and I've found this thread! I'm booked in to have mine removed tomorrow ( booked prior to funfing this thread and due to my consultants advice) and to be honest I could cry at the thought that I've possibly had something in me fir this long that has probably bend having such an impact in my life in a negative way - I hope once it's removed I see the and feel the benefits and it confirms that it was my coil ( id never had thought it could be this!) - I do not wish to fall pregnant so I'm wondering if any one can recommend a contraception ? I've never taken hormone bc and have been prescribed micronor has anyone used it apparently it's similar to marina coil ? I thought I should try a tablet first rather than commiting to another coil without knowing how I might react - I'm so convinced that copper has affected my life for all these years and it makes me so sad and angry!
mapf likes this.
#554 of 587 Old 03-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Just to add I don't really want to put hormone BCD control In to body either but I also do not wish to fall pregnant I have read up on Natural family planning and rhythm method etc but Too be honest I'm worried that might be a little risky and I dont fancy worrying all month if I'm Pregnant or not! 😁
#555 of 587 Old 03-14-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I just got my copper IUD removed 2 weeks ago. I have had mine 2 years (Feb of 2012 our Feb 2014).

I had the Merina for 7 years (was afraid to have it removed) then went 5 months before getting the copper. agh... WHY!!! I actually went to the doc mid last month to have it removed because I have a tilted cervix and could not grasp the strings- she refused to take it out until my next cycle (around mid March) even though I had only been off my cycle 1 day. And then proceeded to tell me I needed therapy if I couldn't wait and asked me "basically" if I was trying to bate my husband into having another baby and if I had problems in my relationship. agh...

So, I went to Planned Parenthood and they got it out right away and gave me no issue.  

I can feel it is gone- my hair is now not falling out by hand fulls- I have more energy (but still not what it should be)- don't know about my weight, I gained 35-40 lbs in 2 years- but I have not checked that yet. 

I know it is going to be a LONG time until I feel like me :-(  But at least I understand why I DIDN'T FEEL LIKE ME... I haven't felt like "me" for years. I think the side effects were noticeably worse with the paragard, BUT - that doesn't mean the merina was any less horrible on my body- sometimes it is what we don't see or only learn later and we start to put the pieces together and go- AGH... Why don't women know this until they are in the grips of hell? 

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#556 of 587 Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 PM

Hi I am glad this post is still active.

I've had paragard for about 5 months now. I've been feeling depressed, VERY anxious (panic attacks that once almost sent me to the ER). My hair is dry, I'm exhausted, and my libido is non-existent. My head also feels "foggy." Even my boss told me I seem "out of it" at work and I have missed work due to anxiety. Very embarrassing.

This is not like me at all. I am normally a very active, healthy, happy person. I've convinced myself that I have a terrible illness and feel like I will never be myself again.

Everyone, including my husband, thinks the IUD is not the cause since it is non-hormonal. My dr wants me to take antidepressants.

I'm thinking of having it removed at planned parenthood since getting an appt. with my gyno can be a real pain.

Any thoughts?
#557 of 587 Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 PM

I've now being obsessed with reading all this posts here as well as other sites.... and it's a mix of happy and angry. I have a lot of the same symptoms a d they have been driving me crazy.... but lately it's gotten worse. I've convinced myself year after year that I don't have a lot of energy, but as it started to get worse together with my PMS, acne (which I never really had much, even as a teenager) and facial hair, I've decided to research online again and found everything! I have my IUD for 7 years, right after my son was born, I'm 30 years old now, a month or so after I got it I gained so much weight like never before... the Dr.said it was because my hormones changed with the pregnancy. As the years went by besides heavy periods, spotting and cramps.... came acne, fatigue, low libido, mood swings, irritability, insominia, joint pain (shoulder blade, wrist, elbows and and groin area), headache constant (dr. Said I've migraine)... two years ago was when the joint pai started, fatigue worsen and facial hair... lood exam for a anemia -normal, xray on my arm-said it was carpal tunnel... the hair on my face was because I'm getting old! From the start I asked if the iud wasn't causing ... and she keeps saying no! Went to doctor last week to get it removed... told her all the things I have seen online....she still says it is not related! So after trying to make me change my mind she agreed to take it out, but only when I'm on my period.... so hopefully will be this week or the next.... I never hoped to get my period so fast! But I also contacted a lab that took y blood tocheck my copper level.... and they don't ask for doctor's note... so im waiting on that to to take it to my doctor (I think she will be mad that I did onmy own, but... oh well)... im praying to God that I get better!
Thank you to all your posts!
#558 of 587 Old 04-01-2014, 07:41 PM

@flamingo86 trust your body... if it all changed after the iud it cannot be a coincidence... don't wait a bunch of years like! If you want just for peace of mind, order so e blood tests or consult with your primary doctor. Good luck
#559 of 587 Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapf View Post

I've now being obsessed with reading all this posts here as well as other sites.... and it's a mix of happy and angry. I have a lot of the same symptoms a d they have been driving me crazy.... but lately it's gotten worse. I've convinced myself year after year that I don't have a lot of energy, but as it started to get worse together with my PMS, acne (which I never really had much, even as a teenager) and facial hair, I've decided to research online again and found everything! I have my IUD for 7 years, right after my son was born, I'm 30 years old now, a month or so after I got it I gained so much weight like never before... the Dr.said it was because my hormones changed with the pregnancy. As the years went by besides heavy periods, spotting and cramps.... came acne, fatigue, low libido, mood swings, irritability, insominia, joint pain (shoulder blade, wrist, elbows and and groin area), headache constant (dr. Said I've migraine)... two years ago was when the joint pai started, fatigue worsen and facial hair... lood exam for a anemia -normal, xray on my arm-said it was carpal tunnel... the hair on my face was because I'm getting old! From the start I asked if the iud wasn't causing ... and she keeps saying no! Went to doctor last week to get it removed... told her all the things I have seen online....she still says it is not related! So after trying to make me change my mind she agreed to take it out, but only when I'm on my period.... so hopefully will be this week or the next.... I never hoped to get my period so fast! But I also contacted a lab that took y blood tocheck my copper level.... and they don't ask for doctor's note... so im waiting on that to to take it to my doctor (I think she will be mad that I did onmy own, but... oh well)... im praying to God that I get better!
Thank you to all your posts!

You could take it out yourself, no need to wait for your period. Its ridiculous how your doctor acted! As if its a slight to HER, which method of birth control you use!

#560 of 587 Old 04-02-2014, 05:16 AM

It;s been 3.5 weeks since I removed my IUD. I have been a bit better but Ive also been taking adrenal cortex, a bunch of vitamins, sea salt, getting more sleep and sunshine-all things to nourish my adrenals. I'm going to see a chiro today to talk to her about estrogen dominance and see if she has any advice for me. I think what happened was the excess copper strained my adrenals, then when I was really stressed, my already weak adrenals totally crashed. I have read that progesterone is the precursor to cortisol, so I might have my levels tested. 

#561 of 587 Old 04-02-2014, 03:19 PM

I'm afraid to take it myself... I actually tried to feel it and see if I could grab it, but I could only feel the tip... most of the doctors don't admit it's the iud causing all these symptoms. Hope your symptoms goes away.
#562 of 587 Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 AM

I'm sharing this because I want to make women aware of the possible side affects of the copper iud paragard. I made the decision to have this iud put in for birth control in November 2013 because my doctor recommended it. Since day one I experienced horrible effects from this iud and had it removed two months ago. Not just in the physical which were horrible cramps, constant lower back pain, retained water, constant dizziness, light headed, nauseous, Loss of appetite. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Blurred vision, extreme fatigue. I had no energy, like the life had been sucked out of me. Acne on paces I never get it like my back, oily skin and hair. But the emotional and mental effects were what put me over the edge and I knew that something was not right. I started having extreme anxiety and fear, racing heart beat that lasted from the time I woke up until I went to bed. Depression, I felt as if I was in a mental fog. Like I was in a dream watching myself just go through the motions. I thought I was going crazy. I can't put into words how I was feeling exactly all I know is I wasn't myself. This scared the crap out of me. So I started praying about it asking God what was going on. Going back to a couple of weeks after having the iud put in I called my doctor and told her a few of the symptoms I was having she said to give it time and my body would get used to having the iud. Also that some of the other symptoms I was having were not because of the iud. I waited like she recommended and things just got worse. I felt like I should really look further into the possibility of the iud being the cause of all that was happening to me. I looked up negative side affects with the paragard iud on google and couldn't believe what it brought me to. Hundreds and hundreds of women with stories just like mine! I learned that yes there are no hormones in the copper iud but there is copper! To much copper in the body is toxic to some people! There are women like me who are either very sensitive to it or are allergic to it. So basically what I found out is that I was suffering from copper toxicity! There Is sooooooo much more that I could tell you about copper toxicity and what it does to the body and the mind but I really just want women to be aware of the possibility of this happening. It may not happen to everyone but it does happen. And doctors are not telling women these possible side affects.
#563 of 587 Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM

I just made an appt. to have mine removed on Monday with a nurse practitioner at my gyno office.

The receptionist was super rude and kept questioning why I want it removed. I just said bad cramps and heavy periods (partially true). Ugh!
applejuice likes this.
#564 of 587 Old 04-04-2014, 01:36 PM

These are my symptoms exactly! I also had mine fitted in November 2013.
#565 of 587 Old 04-04-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittyskye View Post

I looked up negative side affects with the paragard iud on google and couldn't believe what it brought me to. Hundreds and hundreds of women with stories just like mine! I learned that yes there are no hormones in the copper iud but there is copper! To much copper in the body is toxic to some people! There are women like me who are either very sensitive to it or are allergic to it. So basically what I found out is that I was suffering from copper toxicity! 

Don't forget nickle. If you have a nickle sensitivity- this IUD will hit you hard. I had both the Merina (first) then the Paragard- and the paragard was worse, but both were bad. I swear my house has not been "cleaned" - you know- like a good clean- in 2 years. It looks like a druggy lives here- I swear. And I am not- I don't even take over the counters hardly ever. :-(

I got the paragard out in Feb and got pregnant 5 days later- lol... so now the houses' excuse is morning-sickness. :-P

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#566 of 587 Old 04-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Flamingo86 I hope that after getting yours removed you get back to yourself soon!
#567 of 587 Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Crayon thanks for that info.
#568 of 587 Old 04-13-2014, 12:40 PM

How did everyone's husband/partners react to you having the IUD removed? I'm getting mine out tomorrow and plan to use a diaphragm instead. My husband isn't happy about it. He says I'm paranoid and that I'm reading too much stuff on the Internet.
applejuice likes this.
#569 of 587 Old 04-14-2014, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've removed one previously myself, when ready for a pregnancy but couldn't remove this one for some reason so he helped me remove it.  Hubby was appalled when he got a look at it and realized what I had lived with inside of me for so long.  Kind of ironic- started watching House from the beginning not too long ago, and one of the very first shows is about a nun that is dying of copper toxicity/allergy from an IUD.  I saw it (the episode) when it first came out years ago and yet never thought of it when I went to get mine in.  Wish I had! 

applejuice likes this.
#570 of 587 Old 04-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Oh wow! I'm just wondering why the nun was using the IUD in the first place! 

My husband was completely supportive--and in fact, he could always feel it during sex.  We believe that he was having an allergy to it as well because of a rash that he was getting, on his ahem, member.  As soon as the IUD was out, the rash went away.  I don't figure that's too much information for this forum! 

Anyways, my husband is awesome in understanding that he's fertile every day of the week, but I'm not, so he takes it as part of his responsibility to either prevent or achieve pregnancy! 

Good luck! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page