Copper IUD and Side effects - Page 20 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#571 of 585 Old 04-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The nun got it put it at age 15, during her misspent youth.  Though, irl, most docs wouldn't place one for a patient that young.

#572 of 585 Old 04-18-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Aaah! Would be interesting to see the episode! Thanks LOL!
#573 of 585 Old 04-18-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just wondering if anyone else had the following side effects from the copper IUD:

- depression

- severe mood swings

- weight gain

- major water retention

- acne

- severe PMS symptoms

- overly emotional (crying about everything and breaking down very often)

- severe fatigue (can't make it through the day without a nap or two)

- feeling faint

-  overall just don't fee like myself

I got the IUD removed yesterday. The doctor insisted that the copper IUD could not cause these side effects. I went an got my blood work done as well to see if it is something else. After reading this forum and seeing how many people have had problems I made an appointment to get it removed. How long did it take most of you to feel back to normal?

Thanks

applejuice and greenj987 like this.
#574 of 585 Old 04-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Yes I had numbness in my a arms and legs as well
#575 of 585 Old 04-24-2014, 04:47 PM

I feel faint all the time and dizzy. I swear one of these days I'm going to pass out. I don't have any of the other symptoms though. Just very foggy mind and faint/dizzy,
#576 of 585 Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 PM

My IUD has been out for about 1.5 weeks now. I had it for approx. 6 months. I was having horrible anxiety, heart palpitations, brain fog, dizziness, insomnia, and lack of appetite. I had to take 2 weeks off work. I thought I was losing my mind. Neither my dr or my therapist could understand why I was suddenly feeling so awful. I swear I would have ended up in the hospital if the ordeal had continued.

The nurse practitioner who removed it was very nice and non-judgmental. I just told her I had bad side effects and she agreed to yank it out.

I feel better. Not 100% better but improving.

Within 24 hours I noticed the horrible cystic acne on my back start to calm down. About a week later I noticed that I felt more clear-headed and much less dizzy. I am sleeping much better and my appetite is back. I still have some anxiety but nothing like the debilitating panic attacks I was having. I was actually in a good mood this morning!

I really wanted the IUD to work and am disappointed. Condoms aren't the greatest but far better than having to feel the way I was feeling.
mapf likes this.
#577 of 585 Old 04-29-2014, 10:37 AM

I am approaching 2 years with the IUD cooper (they said no hormones but I have some sides effects) and I am considering taking it out. I gained 50lbs. Previously, lost 50lbs. Before I gained it, I was energized and all the above. I was searching for someone who felt the same way and you do. Now its like I need motivation. My sister teases me for always taking a nap and being in the bed. I'm 26 I should be doing more. I been anxious and I have had crazy anxiety, along with mood swings, and don't let me start on the back pains and bleeding. I just been grumpy and 'blah" lol. I'm so glade I seen your post because it is confirmation.

greenj987 likes this.
#578 of 585 Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 AM

Hello!

I had my IUD put in in September of 2010, and just had it removed yesterday, April 29, 2014. 

I had numerous issues that I didn't even realize could have been caused by my IUD, such as hair loss, joint pain, heavy/irregular periods, excessive discharge, skin problems including acne and random dry patches. One of my friends brought to my attention the hair loss, and I didn't connect the dots until recently..I blamed it all on hormones from my second pregnancy. My doctor had me go to the lab and draw blood, to test for thyroid issues and inflammation due to possible arthritis, because she doesn't believe the paragard couldve caused my problems. My gut tells me otherwise! These are things I have never dealt with, even with my first pregnancy. I'm feeling my lab results will come back normal. I was surprised to see so many other people having the same issues! Hopefully everything works out and gets back to normal, for all of us :)

mapf likes this.
#579 of 585 Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Okay... I posted a couple of weeks ago, describing how I was feeling. Had IUD for 7 years, a lot of things came up over the years: weight gain, no energy, foggy vision/mind, bad acne, numbness on arms and legs, joint pains, facial/breast hair, cramps, almost daily headache, anxiety, horrible mood swings, heavy periods... Took out my IUD exactly two weeks ago nd even thought I'm on the pill, I feel like otal different person... my energy is back, no headaches, not foggyn, not so moody anymore. Didnt loose weight yet, but I dont feel bloated like before. Anybody who has a couple of this symptoms, believe it is from IUD and most doctors will not admit it. Good luck everybody!
Tiffco and greenj987 like this.
#580 of 585 Old 05-04-2014, 11:15 PM

I have had a copper iud for 3 years now. I have gained 10 pounds, I am tired all the time, I have relenting migraine headaches and never got headaches before. I have been manic, depressed, and walk around in a fog. I can't sleep at night, and I have tingling and restless legs. I thought maybe I have MS. But the iud is coming out this week as these symptoms are quite scary. One day the headache and mental fog was so bad I thought I was having a stroke. I'm only 42 and I have feared the worst. It is coming out this week. Calling the dr tomorrow. Thank you all for sharing.
#581 of 585 Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 PM

Copper IUD - Issues + Legal Battle

In 2009 I have the Paraguard IUD implanted. Since then I have experienced crippling anxiety, depression, fatigue, pain + swelling, weight gain, heart/chest pain, mental fog and uncontrollable rage. I have, in vain, worked to deal with these issues. Doctors have prescribed me a litany of medications from Xanax to Prozac - with no result except flat affect.

A friend posted information regarding Copper Toxicity and IUD's and I feel like I have finally found a possiblity for what has been plaguing me for the past 5 years. I have an appointment next Monday to have my IUD removed, but also to have blood work and mineral screening done.

I can only hope that this is the answer I have been looking for....

And I can promise - that if there is a link between the copper levels in my body and the mental anguish that has been the last 5 years of my life - I will contacting an attorney. These were never side effects I was warned about - I was assured, multiple times, that this was completely safe and at worst, I would have heavier periods for a time.

I don't have the answers yet, but I do feel like I am a step closer to fixing what was never broken. However, I can not suppress this rage towards the FDA and TEVA Pharmaceutical company... I just wonder when patient health will take a priority over financial gain.
#582 of 585 Old 07-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaElla View Post
<p>Just wondering if anyone else had the following side effects from the copper IUD:</p>
<p>- depression</p>
<p>- severe mood swings</p>
<p>- weight gain</p>
<p>- major water retention</p>
<p>- acne</p>
<p>- severe PMS symptoms</p>
<p>- overly emotional (crying about everything and breaking down very often)</p>
<p>- severe fatigue (can't make it through the day without a nap or two)</p>
<p>- feeling faint</p>
<p>-  overall just don't fee like myself</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I got the IUD removed yesterday. The doctor insisted that the copper IUD could not cause these side effects. I went an got my blood work done as well to see if it is something else. After reading this forum and seeing how many people have had problems I made an appointment to get it removed. How long did it take most of you to feel back to normal?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>
I felt better rather quickly. Look into a Copper sensitivity called pyroluria. People should be warned about this by doctors. Good luck!!
#583 of 585 Old 07-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Paragard doesn't only have copper- the copper is mixed with nickel- if you have a nickel allergy then you will have a reaction to the Paragard.

Doctors get kick-backs from big pharma to push these on women and it is rare you will ever find a doctor that will believe you let alone report the symptoms you have.

We have a Facebook group for this very topic-
https://www.facebook.com/groups/iuds...cts/?ref=br_tf
applejuice likes this.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#584 of 585 Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
that varies by state- I used to insert IUDs and never got any sort of reimbursement, kickbacks, promotions, sales pitches, etc.

Your doctor doesn't have to believe you to report a side effect- you can do it yourself at FDA.gov, although I admit it is unlikely to gave a huge impact (regardless of who reports it).
#585 of 585 Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM

Hi ladies!
If you feel like sharing your IUD and experiences or asking for detoxing advices join http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/copperiuddetox/. You just have to go to that url and press join! You will find there more than 500 women that had a horrible experience with the copper IUD and now are looking for ways to get back to normal.
Let's help each other heal from this awful experience!
Love,
Flor

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page