Copper IUD and Side effects - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Copper IUD and Side effects

fresh_veggie's Avatar fresh_veggie
03:26 AM Liked: 12
#61 of 593
06-04-2010 | Posts: 556
I've had my paragard out for about 5 months now - happy to say my body is readjusting and I'm feeling better and more like myself than ever. Fatigue is almost gone (!) and my pms is no longer so amplified. Successfully charting to avoid, so far, combined with condoms. DH and I don't mind them when they're needed, and no baby has decided to bless our lives yet . AF has lightened considerably. (I had it in place for a year).
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
11:57 AM Liked: 13
#62 of 593
06-04-2010 | Posts: 99
I discussed with the hubby that the IUD may be a problem, and together we realized that I'm experiencing exactly how I felt while on the pill!! Which of course defeats the purpose of getting off of it!

I'm going to go for a general checkup just to make sure nothing else is going on, but it looks like this isn't going to work for us. *groan* I guess women that are typically higher copper than others have problems with hormones AND the copper IUD So hoping the zinc would have staved it off, but I think perhaps it just slowed down the inevitable progression. Oh well, back to the drawing board!
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
03:04 AM Liked: 13
#63 of 593
06-07-2010 | Posts: 99
So in doing a little research, I've come to the following conclusions. Note: I'm not a doctor or a scientist, I'm just going with this based on my own judgment and putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

I explained my situation to my friend who said I might want to get checked for hypothyroidism. I was actually going to do that before getting the iud removed UNTIL I read through a few articles stating that copper toxicity can CAUSE hypothyroidism. It's like the chicken and the egg thing. So I'm going to get this sucker out, get myself cleared out, THEN go for a checkup to see if everything's ok.

Let's review some things. I was on the pill for probably 16 years. During this entire time I had almost no libido, I was depressed, severely fatigued, irritable, and overweight. I've attributed those problems to everything BUT the pill because back in the day, we didn't have google and the doctors would tell me that I just need antidepressants. I also believed that I was just a terrible person and a mess because I couldn't get over feeling miserable all the time. I have it so good, why am I so upset?

Then about age 32 I get off the pill. Mostly it was because I had a concussion and kept forgetting to take it. Still, I finally just wanted to be done with it. My body didn't seem to fully recover until 5 months later when my libido returned with a VENGEANCE, my armpits would smell AFTER washing repeatedly, I had acne like crazy, etc. It was like I was finishing puberty. I figured the "hormones" were out of my system. We conceived 2 months later LOL!!

During pregnancy, I'm once again without libido, over emotional, fatigued, irritable, pretty much just like being on the pill. Attributed to hormones of course. What I did NOT know was that the body stocks up on copper during pregnancy (it's one of the major building blocks of the blood and other body components, so it's understandable.)

Now we get to the past 8 months. I get a copper iud (no hormones of course) and I do know that there is a potential for adverse side effects. I take zinc daily. In fact, if I don't, I feel nauseas, fatigued, and a bit loony. Well eventually my libido dies out, I'm perpetually fatigued, irritable, etc. just like being on the pill, being pregnant, etc. Except no hormones to blame.

Therefore, perhaps hormones are getting the blame for everything when they are probably just exacerbating another underlying issue: excess copper. This all dawned on me the other day. So basically, for someone like me that's high copper to begin with, it didn't matter if I took hormones or used copper, both would have brought me to a much-too-high copper state. The hormones trick the body into thinking it's pregnant, pregnancy makes your body stock up on copper, coincidence?? Again, not a doctor, I have no way of testing this, but it's a little too coincidental.

So I'm getting the IUD out before I potentially develop hypothyroidism (not a definite, but it's very possible). I expect it will take a few months for the copper levels to get back to a sustainable level, when I should start to feel like myself again (like that short period of time before and after the baby.) This time, since I know it's copper and not hormones, I'll be sure to continue supplementing with zinc, vitamin C, and b complex until things get back to normal.

I write all this for anyone else who may have been going through the same thing or may be considering getting a copper iud. If you had a lot of trouble taking hormones, you may wind up the same with copper. I thought I could head off the problem with zinc every day, but it's become too big to handle with supplements alone (and I'm not a doctor or certified naturopath, so there may be better solutions, I don't know.) For those still waiting to get back to normal after having the iud removed, have hope that it can get better. If you eat a vegetarian diet, definitely supplement with zinc as vegetarian diets are very high in copper, which could slow down recovery.

Hope this information helps someone. I want to get this out asap!

PS I can't remember all the articles I read, but my google searches included "copper hypothyroidism" "copper pregnancy" "copper toxicity" "copper iud fatigue" There were also quite a few articles by Dr. Lawrence Wilson that I found helpful.
billiethakid's Avatar billiethakid
03:10 AM Liked: 0
#64 of 593
06-15-2010 | Posts: 1
I too thought I was just going nuts and my body was going with me I had to quit working the side effects where so serve but I never linked it to the IUD> I removed my copper IUD last Friday I will keep you all posted the only issue with the removal was the night and the next couple of days I had the worse pain like under my breast bone rib cage area it's still sore but not as bad. I did not performe in any type of activty that would cause so much pain but of course the doc said it had nothing to do with my IUD removal yeah right and BP gonna win the company of the year LOL! but after reading the post there's light at the end of the tunnel thank goodness
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
05:23 PM Liked: 13
#65 of 593
06-15-2010 | Posts: 99
I just got mine out this past Friday myself! So afterwards, except for a little discomfort in the cervix area, things felt fine around that section, meaning the light discomfort and continuous light cramping during my period was gone AND my menstrual flow cut down by 3/4. It was like my uterus said, "Ahhh, glad that's out!"

However, the fatigue continued. I took a nap and woke up with a metallic taste in my mouth. I took more vitamin C than usual and the zinc. For the rest of the day I still felt lousy: tired, headaches, stomach upset. Saturday I woke up feeling lousy but took the zinc and C. Eventually felt better enough later in the day to take out the garbage and load the dishwasher (yes, i was feeling THAT bad that I couldn't even load the dishwasher before.) I would have periods of heavy fatigue, usually after I took a supplement used to clear out the copper, but then would feel better. Even stayed up later than usual. I also did have a few bouts of disorientation, another copper symptom.

Sunday I was better but still feeling episodes on and off. I had diarrhea (another symptom of copper toxicity) and an occasional headache. I had an episode of disorientation again, this time while trying to drive somewhere, all the while apologizing to my friends saying "I will eventually get to where we're going once I get my brain working again."

Monday was a little better even, but I wanted to get things going a little faster because I need to get my life back already! I picked up some manganese and molybdenum from the vitamin shoppe. Had the moly last night (interferes with copper absorption) and the manganese this morning (helps eliminate the copper.) I've been avoiding any high copper foods and trying to add more sulfur-rich foods like broccoli and eggs. Though I still wake up tired and still have on and off fatigue episodes, they're less powerful. I felt good enough to actually pull weeds! I don't even feel like a nap but I may anyway just in case. And best of all, I feel my libido returning! Woo!

The information I've been grabbing on copper elimination is from multiple websites but two in particular have been helpful. I've been following the Moondragon website more than the other because I don't want to bombard my system, but the other has good info also:

http://www.moondragon.org/health/dis...coppertox.html
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1550396

So want my life back! Hope this info helps anyone else who is having a slow time eliminating copper!
Sasha's Mama's Avatar Sasha's Mama
07:23 PM Liked: 12
#66 of 593
06-25-2010 | Posts: 233
I just wanted to comment because I was so surprised to come across this thread! I got a copper IUD for the second time (once was before my son was born) about a month and a half ago, and about four weeks ago started having heart palpitations. I thought my iron was low, but checked it and it was fine - good even, for me. I was having increasing anxiety which culminated in a panic attack. My HCP reccommended I take out the IUD bc it might be giving me too copper. I took it out 8 days ago, and haven't had any more heart palps except once about five days ago! It's really freaky, but I'm sure it was causing the problems I was having. I too have a metallic taste in my mouth since I had it removed, but I think it might be from my multivitamin. I don't know. I'll quit taking the vitamin for a while and see.
April8830's Avatar April8830
10:00 PM Liked: 0
#67 of 593
06-25-2010 | Posts: 45
I just wanted to say thank you to all who have posted. I was considering getting the copper IUD but now no way!!! I had the Mirena (EVIL!!! ) and it was pure H***! I guess back to the drawing board for me. I just had DD2 and was wanting something but definately not this or the hormonal forms either.
*bejeweled*'s Avatar *bejeweled*
06:32 PM Liked: 255
#68 of 593
06-26-2010 | Posts: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by April8830 View Post
I just wanted to say thank you to all who have posted. I was considering getting the copper IUD but now no way!!! I had the Mirena (EVIL!!! ) and it was pure H***! I guess back to the drawing board for me. I just had DD2 and was wanting something but definately not this or the hormonal forms either.
We're using condoms. Never EVER again will I have an IUD or any form of hormonal birth control.
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
03:30 PM Liked: 13
#69 of 593
06-27-2010 | Posts: 99
Just posting another update:

The periods of fatigue were still off and on, but I found that if I upped my intake of zinc, it took care of the fatigue. By upped I mean I had to go upwards of taking 115mg of zinc a day, which sounds excessive and to some probably is, but it was the ONLY thing that was getting me to functional.

I also read about a zinc taste test which you can purchase from the Vitamin Shoppe (though at around 23 bucks, it's not cheap but lasts a while.) If you taste something right away, you're sufficient with zinc, but if the taste is delayed or there is no taste at all, you're deficient. You count about 10 seconds, and during my heavy fatigue moments, I was upwards around 6 before I tasted anything, and that was AFTER taking 50mg in morning and at night. I then added 15mg with b6 and felt better. B6 helps your body absorb zinc and is also indicated in many of the symptoms that go along with high copper or pill/PMS symptoms. Seems zinc and B6 are the superhero duo which act better together than alone.

I'm not recommending anyone superdose themselves, but this is what I had to do to get to functional. Right now I'm nearing the time for PMS, when copper starts really dumping into the body due to estrogen flow. I can tell by my sudden craving for chocolate that I haven't had all month. More zinc for me (and I'm STILL deficient, jeez!) I guess because of my body overload of copper and my already present (though unknown) zinc deficiency, it's taking a while to get to the right level.

Looking back I've realized much of my life I've had a zinc deficiency, such as slow healing of wounds which I thought was just my body being weird. I've also been high in copper. I wish I had known all this prior or I would have never gotten the IUD. I'm sure for some women it works wonderfully, probably those without overloads of copper or zinc deficiencies, but I'm reckoning that those who have bad fatigue, depression, anxiety, and mood swings on the pill or during PMS may have the same trouble with the copper iud. Speculation, but it seems to be happening to more than just me.

But the good news is that while I'm taking the zinc, I'm feeling SO much better, far more energy, libido gaining, and as the oddest thing of all, my nipples are no longer perpetually sore or uncomfortable. Most of my reproductive life (which was spent on the pill) even *I* couldn't go near my boobs without serious sensitivity. After baby but before IUD my breasts felt great. It was only after the IUD that the sensitivity came back which I attributed to thrush (not that I was breastfeeding or anything, but I couldn't see any other reason why they hurt again.)

Ugh, if not for Google and forums like this, I think I would have gone insane and not realized it was all just a matter of mineral imbalances. I was seriously starting to question my mental state in a lot of matters, during pill and during IUD, wondering why I just can't be happy, why I get upset over the littlest things, have anger issues, etc. I really thought I was just plain nuts and there was no fixing me. The worst part is that at least I figured out what was happening with me; how many other women are blaming their minds for a simple lacking in the body?
rabbitmum's Avatar rabbitmum
09:21 PM Liked: 21
#70 of 593
06-27-2010 | Posts: 937
I had the same symptoms as several of you have described in this thread when I had a copper IUD: depression, horrible PMS, tiredness.

My doctor said that the copper IUD can affect your hormones because it works on the uterus and affects your cycle (can't remember the details that she explained), and some people react with these symptoms, in which case they shouldn't have a IUD. I was much better immediately after I removed it. The copper IUD ruined years of my life!
*MamaJen*'s Avatar *MamaJen*
03:02 PM Liked: 918
#71 of 593
06-28-2010 | Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Just remember, this is a thread with people who have had side effects, so it's stacked with bad stories. But there are a lot of people who really like their IUD and don't have the bad effects. I had a hellacious time on hormonal birth control, but I'm really happy with the copper IUD and the only thing I've experienced is somewhat heavier periods. I think copper IUD's are one of the better forms of birth control out there for women who don't want hormones and aren't comfortable with the possibility of an accidental pregnancy.
Charlize's Avatar Charlize
04:01 PM Liked: 14
#72 of 593
06-28-2010 | Posts: 906
Quote:
I had the Mirena after DD2. I agree with you; pure H***! It was awful. Mine was dislodged somehow and it was the worst pain I had ever felt. When I went to the OBGYN for it, she was gonna send me off and make me come back in two months or so. I threw a fit and she did it right then and after the ordeal with that, I don't think I'd ever get another IUD.
*bejeweled*'s Avatar *bejeweled*
10:43 PM Liked: 255
#73 of 593
06-28-2010 | Posts: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitmum View Post
The copper IUD ruined years of my life!
Me too.
funfunkyfantastic's Avatar funfunkyfantastic
01:13 AM Liked: 10
#74 of 593
07-16-2010 | Posts: 1,670
Posted on this back when I first got the IUD, and I have to say, it's definitely gotten worse. The back pain has increased especially right before and during my period. Just got my period again today and it was signaled with a sharp pain in my left lower back and shooting down my leg, and regular cramps as well. Ouch. And while I was driving too! Ugh. Why does my period always start when i'm driving?!
copperbummer's Avatar copperbummer
11:31 AM Liked: 0
#75 of 593
07-30-2010 | Posts: 2
I just found this thread and felt like I had to post my experiences. It's been a few weeks since the last reply so I hope it's still active.

I've had the copper IUD for a little over a year now. I have been getting horrible hot flashes (mostly at night) and I finally decided to google it and see it they had anything to do with the IUD and this thread was the first result in the list.

Reading everyone's posts was fascinating. I have a lot of these symptoms and never attributed any of them t my IUD; just the hot flashes. But I too have been very fatigued lately and feel like I am getting nothing done. I work a full time job and have four kids and in the past I've been able to hold down the fort. But lately I feel so overwhelmed and irritable. I thought it all just finally caught up with me. But I usually have such a high strung personality I just couldn't believe that I couldn't even get the simple tasks done anymore.

Now after reading all these posts I'm starting to wonder if it is the IUD and not me at all. I don't have the heavy periods that everyone's been posting about. I actually hardly have a period at all. I will go months with nothing. Sometimes I end up having a longer period after a long stretch without one, but usually it's just two or three months off and then one on and then off again. But the hot flashes are getting ridiculous I can't sleep because I wake up sweating. And then my body cools and I am covered in sweat and I get cold. It it ridiculous. I thought the hot flashes were causing the fatigue because of waking up at night. But I'm more tired now then when I nursed four babies!!

And I am SOOO irritable it isn't funny. I snap at my kids for the stupidest things lately. And my sex drive has been zero! My husband and I have had so many fights over this in the last year I want to kill him.

I don't want it to be true though. I have FOUR kids. And my dh won't get the snip snip. And I really don't want to bother with the pill again. I have enough to remember with my kids and their activities and working, etc. I just don't want another thing to remember...

I guess I need to get to my gyn and see what I can do. I think I'll try the zinc supplement too and see how that goes.

Thank you to everyone who has posted here. It has made me realize I am not alone and that things can get better!

God Bless!
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
11:55 AM Liked: 13
#76 of 593
07-30-2010 | Posts: 99
Well, I can tell you that I'm about to enter my second cycle off the IUD, and I'm still trying to get some balance. Actually, while estrogen isn't high in my cycle, I feel great! Estrogen triggers release of copper from what I read. I keep up with the zinc, still at least 100mg a day but my zinc taste test says I'm just about sufficient. That drops during an estrogen surge of course, as does my energy, patience, etc.... But otherwise I'm feeling SOOOOO much better!

But yes, I have barely fought with my husband like I did for a large chunk of time, as well as yell at the little one having absolutely no patience. My PMS week was hard, I had a bit of nausea and headaches, but I wasn't completely incapacitated like I was on the IUD.

I hated giving mine up too. I would say to get the zinc taste test from a vitamin shoppe, get a few different mg sizes of zinc chelate form (perhaps a 15, a 30, and a 50), also some B6 since they work together and have similar functions in the brain, and also get some molybdenum. http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T34560.html has a good resource on zinc supplementation. The molybdenum acts as an antagonist to copper. I've been trying to take 2 150mg with every meal, but usually forget. This is only while you're getting rid of copper, I wouldn't take that much for life. You may or may not also need a zinc/Copper chelate form supplement, because even though you may be high in copper, it may be in the unusable, biounavailable form, ironically. You have a ton of copper your body can't use LOL Ugh. I haven't tried that yet because the concept of putting more copper in my body scares me, but I figured maybe I'll try once a week next cycle.

I will warn you that as your body starts to rid of copper, you may feel more fatigued, perhaps with periods of energy then heavy fatigue, as well as some lower back pain where the kidneys (or maybe adrenals) are. I had that, but it eventually went away. The link I provided mentions the zinc/fatigue issue and how to get around it, that's why I recommended the different sizes. Also, you can take zinc before bed to get a GREAT night's sleep (I've never slept in over 10 years like I have taking zinc before bed.)

It's a slow process without the IUD, so it may be even slower for you, but hell, it's worth a try before you have to chuck it!

I'm trying to learn the FAM method now since I won't do pills, hubby balks at condoms, and spermicide sends me to hell in a handbasket. I have to get refitted for my diaphragm and got the contragel green which doesn't bother me thank goodness, but after reading about my own fertile days, I don't trust the diaphragm LOL!! Maybe at the beginning of the cycle, but certainly not in the really fertile time! Yikes! But pretty much with my biochemistry, I don't have much of a choice... Good luck!!
copperbummer's Avatar copperbummer
06:24 PM Liked: 0
#77 of 593
07-30-2010 | Posts: 2
jlanda - thank you so much for your post. I have been thinking of doing the zinc but haven't taken that step yet. My husband is a nurse practitioner and is leery of this. He says you have to be very careful with zinc. But he doesn't really know a lot about IUDs either, and he's not the one with all these issues...
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
01:45 AM Liked: 13
#78 of 593
07-31-2010 | Posts: 99
Well, the only information I can find as to why taking an elevated dose of zinc can be bad is because it interferes with copper absorption LOL! There are other possible issues, usually at taking above 150mg for years at a time, but a truly poisonous dosage seems to be at 570mg in one shot. Information here: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/zinc.asp#h8

The general idea I'm going with is that I won't need these high doses for long, just enough so I can function in the day. If I can function on less, I take less the next day. For instance, I probably had 80 mg today which is down from the 130 I needed to function last month around this time. Another reason to splurge on the zinc taste test.

Again, some practitioners suggest taking the zinc/copper chelate combo for that purpose of the zinc blocking copper absorption. This is the tricky part, because the copper that's basically flooding our bodies isn't being really used in the first place. It's basically playing musical chairs: "Gee, can't be used by this organ, so I'll just sit wherever I can." At least, that's what I'm gathering from what I'm reading thus far from multiple sources.

I wish I could tell you that it will definitely solve everything for you. I couldn't bear it anymore and just had it out before I was even getting high scores on the zinc taste test. FYI copper also interferes with zinc absorption, so even though I was taking 30-50 mg a day for 8 months since I got the IUD, it was never enough. I was still badly deficient when I took the zinc test AFTER getting the IUD out. I may have prolonged the time I got to use the IUD, as many women who have problems with it seem to only be able to tolerate it for a month or so at best, from what I gather from many forums besides this one!

Again, this is not to say that EVERY woman will have a problem. I'm sure there are plenty of women out there who love it. I can only imagine that going in they probably have a well-balanced biochemistry or are not genetically predisposed to having higher copper levels. I so wish I could have made it work!

Hope some of this helps copperbummer. If you want more links for research, pm me (not sure if it's okay to post all the links I have here.) I'm working on an article regarding this issue, including the possible link to copper being the reason I couldn't take the Pill either!
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
03:17 AM Liked: 13
#79 of 593
08-09-2010 | Posts: 99
Another update:

I tried a zinc/copper chelate combo just to see if I could tolerate it and if it would help. It did not, and i felt like I was going bananas for a few hours and had to up my zinc/molybdenum intake to get back to normal. Maybe in a few months I can handle it, but not now.

A newer development is that I have found it may be best to take the zinc on an empty stomach because even though it can interfere with copper absorption, it can also interfere with calcium, magnesium, selenium, and iron absorption. My personal concern now is with iron, as I've been feeling a bit fatigued, short of breath, and had some light, frontal headaches the past week (incidentally right before and during my period week.) I cut back on the zinc thinking it was that, but that just left me very irritable and super-fatigued. Doing more research I found that the newer symptoms are related to iron deficiency. I also realize my intake of high-iron foods was pathetic at best this past week.

So apparently, if you take the high doses of zinc like I've been needing just to function while still clearing up this copper mess, you shouldn't take it with a meal was previously suggested to me. I'm now going to make sure I take it before bed (REALLY helps with sleep) and first thing in the morning.

Also, I do have a b6/zinc combo because b6 helps with zinc absorption. Though I've found articles that say b6 is great for inducing lucid dreams, apparently it winds up giving me insomnia (though I think I almost went lucid during one dream for a brief moment, but the potential for insomnia is too much of a risk when you have to chase after a toddler the next day!) Just an FYI for anyone planning to take that mix.

Again, I'm not a doctor or nutritionist or anything, just someone doing a lot of research and sharing what I'm experiencing. I can't guarantee any of this will help anyone or make their situation better or worse, but I can tell you that for me personally, this has been the holy grail of my life it seems. If not for trying this IUD and having it mess up my life temporarily, I wouldn't have learned so much about what my body needed and has been begging for all my life. Feeling "normal" is something I don't think I've ever felt, and I spent most of my life baffled at those who had energy to do anything and weren't persistently gloomy. At least I'm finally feeling like I think I should have been feeling all my life, and I no longer beat on myself for being "lazy" and "depressed" and all sorts of labels that destroyed my self-esteem and never fixed the problem. All it took was a zinc supplement. Sheesh!
Sasha's Mama's Avatar Sasha's Mama
04:17 AM Liked: 12
#80 of 593
08-09-2010 | Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbummer View Post

Reading everyone's posts was fascinating. I have a lot of these symptoms and never attributed any of them t my IUD; just the hot flashes. But I too have been very fatigued lately and feel like I am getting nothing done. I work a full time job and have four kids and in the past I've been able to hold down the fort. But lately I feel so overwhelmed and irritable. I thought it all just finally caught up with me. But I usually have such a high strung personality I just couldn't believe that I couldn't even get the simple tasks done anymore.

Now after reading all these posts I'm starting to wonder if it is the IUD and not me at all. I don't have the heavy periods that everyone's been posting about. I actually hardly have a period at all. I will go months with nothing. Sometimes I end up having a longer period after a long stretch without one, but usually it's just two or three months off and then one on and then off again. But the hot flashes are getting ridiculous I can't sleep because I wake up sweating. And then my body cools and I am covered in sweat and I get cold. It it ridiculous. I thought the hot flashes were causing the fatigue because of waking up at night. But I'm more tired now then when I nursed four babies!!

And I am SOOO irritable it isn't funny. I snap at my kids for the stupidest things lately. And my sex drive has been zero! My husband and I have had so many fights over this in the last year I want to kill him.
Have you had your thyroid tested lately? A lot of what you're listing sounds like it could be related to your thyroid as well.
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
01:17 PM Liked: 13
#81 of 593
08-09-2010 | Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's Mama View Post
Have you had your thyroid tested lately? A lot of what you're listing sounds like it could be related to your thyroid as well.
The irony is that I found high copper as well as zinc deficiency being a potential cause of thyroid issues. There was one study that sought to determine if the heavy periods from the copper IUD caused hypothyroidism and they did find a link. However, the study never stated why it was linked to hypothyroidism. I put together the copper being a probable cause rather than the heavy bleeding. My my theory, nothing else.

I personally figured once I got my copper under control and my zinc levels in balance, I was going to go get a blood test with a thyroid panel (for those who are not aware, you do have to ask for a thyroid panel, they won't do it automatically, at least not around here.) I didn't want a false positive that was simply caused by the excess copper due to the IUD that was easily remedied. Who knows, I may find I'm hypothyroid anyway, but I have to admit, all of my hypothyroid-potential symptoms have cleared since working on clearing the copper and getting sufficient zinc.

My friend who has hypothyroidism also mentioned this as a cause of the symptoms, so I definitely took it under consideration. I'm hoping that once I get to a balance where I don't need so much zinc anymore, when I do get the blood test, it will come out alright!
dixon1994's Avatar dixon1994
11:48 PM Liked: 0
#82 of 593
08-11-2010 | Posts: 3
WOW! I cannot beleive I found a blog about this. I will start saying I honestly think that the Paragard is "poison" to the body, (in my case anyway). After my last child was born in October 2008 I had the Pargard placed in in December 2008. My periods were so awful, two weeks of every month I felt like I had been hit by a truck. My periods became worse and worse the longer I had it. In April 09 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been on a whirlwind of treatments, doc appts., hormone imbalances, etc. My Doc kept telling me to just give the IUD some more time....well I did and finally when I began to have bloodclots every month, I called and said I want this out. My body was telling me it wanted it out. My thyroid levels had returned to normal with treatment, but I still had quite of few things out of balance (progesterone etc. ) So, July 2010, I had the IUD removed, which is supposed to be a simple procedure right??? Well, after 30 minutes in stirrups and feeling like my insides were being ripped out, 4-5 lidocaine shots---yea inside.....and several attempts to get it out with tong looking things, finally had an ultra sound to assist with retrieving it, which at this point the strings were in the uterus, so I had to have the cervix dialted.....sorry for the graphic details, but blood was almost gushing out of me with each tug, my Doc apologized, said this was NOT normal, she said I will give it 3 more tugs and if it cannot come out, we have to go to the OR to get it. I was freaking out. Praise God, it came out, I was put on an anti-biotic to prevent infection and left the office in complete shock and terrified. Doc said it was not imbedded, but I think it was starting to and my body was trying hard to push this thing out. I had a very normal first period after it was removed, and have felt so much better.

And today I got a call from the Doc to tell me that one month after it being out of my body, all of my abnormal hormone levels are now in normal range.....I really think the copper was poisoning me. I wish I had known about these side effects. I do wonder if it led to me being hypthyroid, I will never know, but I know that just in the last month since it has been gone, I feel good, I have not fetl good in 2 years. This is/was my only experience with one and I know it sounds negative of me, but I would NEVER, ever recommend this to anyone!! Beware, complications do occur, you just do not hear about them often. I asked my Doc about copper toxcity...I think she thought I was nuts, well, the Docs do not know it all. I am 100% convinced this IUD can totally mess you up. Just thought I would share and also warn those of you who do have one or are thinking about one. Please feel free to ask me any questions, as I hope I can prevent someone else having the trouble I did.
11:54 PM Liked: 0
#83 of 593
08-11-2010 | Posts: 3
Hi!
I meant to ask you if you have the information about the study between the paragard heavy periods and hypthyroidism, I feel like this is me to a tee. Wonder if the makers of Paragard just brush this off as hypothyroidism is quite common in women and especially after pregnancy....Thanks!
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
12:45 AM Liked: 13
#84 of 593
08-12-2010 | Posts: 99
The study just says IUD unfortunately, they don't specify which type of IUD:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1290333

The link specifically to copper in regards to this study is my own theory based on the other information I've found.

Here's some more info:

http://www.arltma.com/CopperToxDoc.htm

One also has to consider the difference between bioavailable and biounavailable copper. The copper from IUD's seems to be biounavailable, so essentially, you could have too much copper in your system yet be copper deficient because your body can't use it. Weird huh? This next link references copper deficiencies in thyroid issues, which is very probably even with copper toxicity since the body isn't using the copper that's floating in the body:

http://www.ithyroid.com/copper.htm

More info on copper toxicity as well as deficiency (look higher in the link):

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...xicitysymptoms

I don't know about anyone else, but I had both symptoms of copper toxicity AND deficiency, and that's due to the bioavailable/unavailable issue. Tons of copper and can't use it. There's also relations to stress and the adrenals. It's very complex. I'm still trying to piece it all together into one document that makes sense!

I'm still trying to balance everything because now that my zinc is at normal levels, I'm feeling the symptoms of copper deficiency, probably because of my trying to get rid of the unusable copper. I'm going to cut back on the copper chelators (cut out the molybdenum for a little while and cut back on zinc dosage) and just keep my zinc in balance while eating healthy copper-containing foods in strong moderation (in other words, no more soymilk for me!) I'll keep everyone posted!
TamiTofu's Avatar TamiTofu
08:18 PM Liked: 0
#85 of 593
08-17-2010 | Posts: 1
I've been thinking about using Paraguard, so I've been researching like crazy!

I have an idea I'd like to throw out there:

One of the stated side effects of the copper IUD is that you may have heavier/longer menstrual cycles, more cramping, etc. I think it goes unsaid that this may cause a rise in hormones during that time.

Anyways, I was thinking of the possibility that the copper IUD could cause menses related anemia?

Some of the symptoms of anemia mimic the symptoms of copper toxicity, as well as a few symptoms of hypothyroidism. Fatigue, poor circulation, malaise, confusion, and even heart palpitations.

So, basically I'm thinking that these issues *could* possibly be attributed to anemia secondary to a very heavy menstrual cycle. I'm also thinking that some of the emotional issues could be related to the rise in hormones that would naturally come along with a heavier/longer cycle.

I may just be over analyzing things here, but I wanted to throw it out there for everyone to consider. I would love/appreciate any feedback.

What do you think?
Baby~Braatens~Mama's Avatar Baby~Braatens~Mama
08:21 PM Liked: 11
#86 of 593
08-17-2010 | Posts: 1,338

10:43 PM Liked: 0
#87 of 593
08-18-2010 | Posts: 3
J landa--Thank you for sharing the links with the articles you mentioned. I will review them all.....I really and truly beleive that there is a possible correlation with the copper IUD and possible thyroid issues etc. I feel like I lived them the past 18 months....just so THANKFUL that thing is out of me.

The last person asked about the cycles being heavier---heavier is and understatement...I bled a minimum of 10 days each cycle, sometimes 12. Towards the end, I had clots with the bleeding. My iron level was checked and was not low.....but it can cause anemia in some people with the amount of bleeding.........beware is all I can say of this IUD, sorry, I just really do not have one positive thing to say about the Paragard
jlanda's Avatar jlanda
11:31 PM Liked: 13
#88 of 593
08-18-2010 | Posts: 99
dixon1994: You're very welcome! I want to help anyone else I can after what I went through. Nothing to me was worse than feeling crazy and thinking it was me, attacking my own character and thinking less of myself, when in the end it was simple biochemistry. Lately (think I've finally gotten some understanding of my zinc and chelator needs) I've been feeling so mellow and calm, even pleasant, rather than moody, angry, and upset for who knows what.

TamiTofu: That certainly is a possibility! In the beginning, I did get my iron levels checked because I told them (and this was before Paraguard) that I feel really fatigued after my period. I had a few menstrual cycles since having the Paraguard put in by that point. My periods were 7 days long and VERY heavy. I didn't really mind too much since I use cloth pads and use the resulting soak liquid to add nitrogen to my outdoor plants, but regardless, I was concerned about anemia, especially since I had been feeling more tired since the Paraguard was put in. They told me my iron levels were just fine, no signs of anemia.

Now that's not to say that the anemia part isn't a factor. Actually, due to the mineral imbalance, competition for mineral absorption as well as synergy between them all, it's possible to develop iron-deficiency simply by having too much of one mineral (usually the case of too much zinc which interferes with both copper and iron absorption, hence why they suggest it before meals rather than with.) I think I actually developed an iron-deficiency after taking too much zinc with meals, thereby blocking the iron. Supplemented iron for 3 days and then let it just build up through eating and I'm feeling much better.

I of course lost and need to find the article that was stating the synergy and potential iron-deficiency if things aren't taken in the right manner (and I do need that website for my own records so if I find it I'll post it). But anemia certainly seems to be a part of the puzzle. I'm not sure if I could say it's the complete answer, but it certainly seems to be a factor!
funfunkyfantastic's Avatar funfunkyfantastic
05:58 PM Liked: 10
#89 of 593
08-25-2010 | Posts: 1,670
Well, I had the paragard removed a couple of weeks ago... and i'm slowly getting back to normal. No low back pain so far though... and hopefully it won't return! I noticed a dramatic decrease in bleeding immediately after it was removed. Before then, in fact, the day before I was bleeding heavily and then after it was removed my period just seemed so light.
allymoe24's Avatar allymoe24
12:31 PM Liked: 0
#90 of 593
08-26-2010 | Posts: 1
OMG is all I can say to all that I have read... I know now that I am not crazy nor alone... I have a 19 month old at home.. he is my second child. I had the IUD place in when he was 2 months old. I have anxiety, depression, no sex drive at all (im 28), Terrible weight gain, I am retaining more water then the hoover damn....I literally thought that I was just going plain mad.. I have had blood work apon blood work done, I have seen mulitple doctors that can not explain to me why it is that i have now alomost 80lbs heavier withing a 6 month period. I thought the anxiety was just from the 2nd child as I had a totally different pregnancy as well as birth for this one than my oldest.. I literally have been making myself sick over it all I have been to my primary doc as well as i just had a visit at the OB to see if maybe she could HELP.. I asked about the IUD and was told over and over that there is no side effect at all, she actually is getting my medical records from my primary to review things and see if there is something that maybe they missed to check.... BULL is what is can say I am literally on the verge of loosing my marriage and my kids think that I am crazy.. I have not had the heavy menstrual cycles however I have had irregular cycles as well as it changes like every other week.. I am calling my OB because I have an appt set up to see what she has "found" in my records on 9/16... ON that DATE I will have her remove this god for saken Item from my body and be on the road to recovery and a better way of living and that will be the OLD ALLY

Reply Subscribe Family Planning