Copper IUD and Side effects - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  15  ... Last
Personal Growth > Copper IUD and Side effects
sulphuric's Avatar sulphuric 06:13 PM 07-23-2011

IF YOU COPPER PLUMBING OR ZINC, PROTEIN, VITAMIN C OR B DEFICIENCY (or a whole number of other factors..) YOU COULD BE AT RISK for COPPER TOXICITY

SEE HERE ~ http://www.arltma.com/CopperToxDoc.htm

Yes, it does cause DEPRESSION, ANXIETY, ARTHRITIS, DECREASED SEX DRIVE, HIGH ESTROGEN LEVELS etc... wild.gif

Jess Haze's Avatar Jess Haze 12:00 PM 07-25-2011

I had just met the man of my life and we wanted to be free sexually.  I had taken the pill couple years back and had a really bad reaction to hormones, so I figured Copper IUD = no hormones…what can go wrong ??  Little did I know… I had the Copper IUD put in Jan 2011.   In the beginning it was fine but not amazing…and then the nightmare started…I kept getting yeast infections and a lot of bad cramps, the doctor said it would get better with time…so I just toughed it out…but then the pain started.  I started to get tired real fast, loss of breath, loss of hair, anxiety, depression, loss of sex drive, extreme dryness (mouth and vulva), headaches, joint pain, lower back pain, nausea, weight gain…after all that I finally decided to get the IUD taken out, and instantly felt much better…as the days went by I regained energy, my hair is fuller, dryness stopped.  I really think I had Copper Toxicity, I keep reading all these blogs and all the stories are exactly like mine.  I am so happy to have found my body back.  I will get a general check up just to make sure there is no long-term damage.  Thanks for sharing these stories, hopefully it will help others like me find the light at the end of this oh-so dark tunnel.

Any other advice I should take from others that have experienced the same thing, please feel free to share…it is greatly appreciated to know that I am not alone !!!

NOW FREE :D 

pink lillies's Avatar pink lillies 05:10 PM 07-25-2011
Wow I am totally floored! I have had my copper iud for 4 yrs rite after my devorce. I have just assumed my symtoms was due 2 sress! I just thought I would look up the symtons because I'm constantly having vaginal infections. Normally I don't have oder but 4 the last wk I have and the dr says I don't have an invection but something is wrong. I also have fibromyalcia and just thought its getting worse. I feel fatiged, crampy, heart palputations which. Now that I think about it started around the same time of the insertion. I have severe pain in my joint that's not arthitis. I'm so happy I read this site. Thank u 2 everyone. I also want 2 add that I'm severly nausous for wks on end to the point I'm sure I'm pregnant than suddenly it goes away.
sara15's Avatar sara15 07:56 AM 07-26-2011

Took out copper iud on Saturday and 24 hours later the first thing I noticed was no more dizziness. My eyesight stopped being jumpy. And felt calm. I got really tired for two days but the calmness was constant. 3 days after felt really good with some energy returning and thought maybe my thinking was clearer. Went to the store and didn't panic inside. I was also having really bad ear pressure and head pressure. Last night it just went away like it had never been there. Fourth day without iud and can say that it is the best day. I feel like myself, but can tell my body is still trying to get all the symptoms gone. I can't imagine what a week or two will do. No more anxiety, no more brain fog, no more panic, sleeping is getting better. I have my brain back. And all my emotions are back. I could have detox symptoms or something still but maybe not too. I still can't believe that this was the cause. I thought I was depressed, I thought I had something seriously happening to my brain and body. This is amazing. I was also having neck and shoulder stiffness. And I would feel a dream like state so that left me feeling confused and out of touch with reality. I am so thankful for the other women who posted their experiences cause I would have never known that the iud could have been a problem. I didn't have a copper toxicity test done but I think all the symptoms meet the criteria for it. I also did have my hair fall out about a month after. Thought it was delayed from having a baby. But a lot fell out, everyday. It did stop, but it lasted for six weeks.

DannaMB's Avatar DannaMB 07:23 AM 08-01-2011
Thanks for the info ladies!
Too True's Avatar Too True 01:07 PM 08-03-2011

Can't believe what I am reading and this confirms everything that I went through following the insertion of a copper coil 10 years ago.

Within a month of having it inserted I suffered severe anxiety and depression and I mean severe! Unfortunately at the time I did not associate it with the coil but every month just before my period the anxiety and depression became extremely bad, but as time went on these symptoms subsided. Within a year I started to feel normal again but my whole life was affected badly by it.

It was years later that I learned about copper toxicity and also learned that vegetarians may already have higher levels of copper in the body due to low intake of zinc. Needless to say I was unaware of this at the time and as a vegetarian the negative effects were magnified!

If only I knew then what I know now!

DesertFlower's Avatar DesertFlower 11:26 PM 08-03-2011

OMG, I'm sooo glad I found this thread! I've had a Copper-T for about 18 months. I've been depressed for years, when I recently had a nervous breakdown, I thought it was just a progression of my depression. I also started having anxiety attacks. Now that I'm researching copper IUDs, and found this thread, I think I'm gonna go get it removed, and go back to natural family planning. The only problem with that is that I get the horniest when I'm ovulating lol

sara15's Avatar sara15 01:47 PM 08-04-2011

I have been going back aNow taking zeolitesnd forth with side effects but they are getting better. Started to take some zinc, thats good for inhibiting absorbsion of copper. Decided to do more research and found lots of info on taking zeolites for heavy metal toxicity. Now taking zeolites. They are completely safe. Waiting for first cycle since taking out copper iud to see if that really improves getting anymore copper out of me. Just hoping to feel even better after is all. Everything seems to be getting better. I have moments of confusion, and fatigue, but no panic attacks, no anxiety; maybe just some cause I want to keep getting better.

DesertFlower's Avatar DesertFlower 12:32 AM 08-10-2011

I just got my copper IUD removed four days ago. It's might  just be the placebo effect, or not, but I already feel better! I had been on Prozac for 5 days when I found this thread, 2 days later I got an appointment with an OB/GYN. When I mentioned the possibility of my IUD being linked to my depression, the doctor had a sarcastic corner smile and COMPLETELY DISMISSED the possibility that the IUD could have something to do with me being depressed!!! ARGHH! That is one of the reasons I mostly only see MDs for mechanical things (like broken bones, stitches, IUD removal). For everything else, I have a naturopathic doctor.

I am sending a heavy-metals toxicity test in this week, and should have results in a couple of weeks. I'll have a better idea of if I got copper toxicity from the paraguard. I'm expecting to have to do some detox through saunas, cilantro, green juicing, wheatgrass, and zeolites. 

I am so grateful for this forum!

sara15's Avatar sara15 12:32 PM 08-10-2011

I just finished my cycle and that really made a huge difference in how i was feeling. It was the first one since removal. The zeolites are doing something for me too. They really work. You start to feel better after a week of taking them. I don't know what my birth control will be now, but i don't care because i felt so bad before. It still needs to non hormonal. I also have been doing acupuncture for the anxiety and panic which i believe was brought on by the copper and not me just cause i was never a person who had anxiety. And i love the acupuncture for that, it has really helped. I also have started a cleansing raw food diet that for right now is just a lot of fruit, cause the nuts and seeds have copper. I will resume eating them maybe after a week or two, and this diet is really helping as well. I can see my old self on the horizon.

lea403's Avatar lea403 07:43 PM 08-10-2011

I am so relieved to have found this. I thought I was going crazy. I got my copper IUD in march, 5 months ago, and things have slowly getting worse. I am a 21 year old college student in a steady monogamous relationship, never had children. I decided to get the IUD after bad experiences with hormonal methods and the desire to free my sexual life from condoms, diaphragm, ect. After talking to my mom and a few friends who had gotten paraguard and had good experiences, i thought it seemed like the best option for me. Besides the insertion being the most painful thing i've ever experienced, the first month of Paraguard was fine, just a few more cramps and a little spotting, but nothing abnormal. The 2nd period I had is when i noticed my emotions totally out of whack. I was on a 3 week long road trip, that my 9 day period fell right in the middle of. A few days before, during and all of the duration of the period I was an emotional disaster. I am normally a rational, happy person, but I was became angry, sensitive and unenthused. I was seeing some beautiful amazing parts of the country, all while sleeping outside under the stars with my awesome boyfriend, something I would normally be thrilled about. But something was wrong. I cried all the time, and just didn't feel joy like normal. I was such a downer! I felt depressed and alone in my hyperactive, sensitive mind. Things got better a few days after my period ended, and i felt MUCH more normal, but not 100%. I knew something was wrong, but instead of allowing myself to believe what i knew deep down was likely the cause, the IUD, i blamed all of the things changing in my life. My boyfriend had just graduated and was moving across the country for a job, I moved away from my 3 roomates and in by myself, my brother was entering rehab, and i was stuck, alone in my lonely apartment in a 100 degree arizona summer doing summer school while all of my friends were away doing awesome stuff. Despite all of this, I am an emotionally rational person that is normally so clear headed, but I am struggling. I no longer feel like exercising, gardening, crafting, cooking, or any of the activities i normally enjoy. Now every month, for about 2 weeks, before, during and after my period, I feel depressed, irritable, lathargic, achy, and I overthink everything. I have also noticed in the last month that I am having bizzare and very vivid dreams. And now I am losing a lot more hair than normal. I thought about getting tested for hypothyroidism, because my mom has it, and my symptoms seem to be similar, besides no weight gain. But i am now so sure its the IUD. I felt like i would be overreacting by getting it removed after only 5 months of testing it out, but I am sick of not feeling like myself. I want to ask my gyn, but i feel like they will blame anything before they blame the iud for the way ive been feeling. I think i am going to start taking supplements to combat possible copper toxicity, wait a month, and if no luck, yank the thing. 

I am thankful to not feel so alone in this anymore!

DesertFlower's Avatar DesertFlower 08:39 PM 08-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea403 View Post

I am so relieved to have found this. I thought I was going crazy. I got my copper IUD in march, 5 months ago, and things have slowly getting worse. I am a 21 year old college student in a steady monogamous relationship, never had children. I decided to get the IUD after bad experiences with hormonal methods and the desire to free my sexual life from condoms, diaphragm, ect. After talking to my mom and a few friends who had gotten paraguard and had good experiences, i thought it seemed like the best option for me. Besides the insertion being the most painful thing i've ever experienced, the first month of Paraguard was fine, just a few more cramps and a little spotting, but nothing abnormal. The 2nd period I had is when i noticed my emotions totally out of whack. I was on a 3 week long road trip, that my 9 day period fell right in the middle of. A few days before, during and all of the duration of the period I was an emotional disaster. I am normally a rational, happy person, but I was became angry, sensitive and unenthused. I was seeing some beautiful amazing parts of the country, all while sleeping outside under the stars with my awesome boyfriend, something I would normally be thrilled about. But something was wrong. I cried all the time, and just didn't feel joy like normal. I was such a downer! I felt depressed and alone in my hyperactive, sensitive mind. Things got better a few days after my period ended, and i felt MUCH more normal, but not 100%. I knew something was wrong, but instead of allowing myself to believe what i knew deep down was likely the cause, the IUD, i blamed all of the things changing in my life. My boyfriend had just graduated and was moving across the country for a job, I moved away from my 3 roomates and in by myself, my brother was entering rehab, and i was stuck, alone in my lonely apartment in a 100 degree arizona summer doing summer school while all of my friends were away doing awesome stuff. Despite all of this, I am an emotionally rational person that is normally so clear headed, but I am struggling. I no longer feel like exercising, gardening, crafting, cooking, or any of the activities i normally enjoy. Now every month, for about 2 weeks, before, during and after my period, I feel depressed, irritable, lathargic, achy, and I overthink everything. I have also noticed in the last month that I am having bizzare and very vivid dreams. And now I am losing a lot more hair than normal. I thought about getting tested for hypothyroidism, because my mom has it, and my symptoms seem to be similar, besides no weight gain. But i am now so sure its the IUD. I felt like i would be overreacting by getting it removed after only 5 months of testing it out, but I am sick of not feeling like myself. I want to ask my gyn, but i feel like they will blame anything before they blame the iud for the way ive been feeling. I think i am going to start taking supplements to combat possible copper toxicity, wait a month, and if no luck, yank the thing. 

I am thankful to not feel so alone in this anymore!

I was taking a zinc supplement, which is supposed to help with copper toxicity and removal from the system, but it wasn't enough. I also took homeopathics, St John's Wort, and B vitamins. Still didn't help. I had mine for 18 months, and like you, was blaming life events (an abortion, a car accident where I broke my knee, an eviction from my house, a lost job, single parenting, etc.) for how I felt. I started having nightmares or weird vivid dreams  too! But I attributed those to my childhood. Last February, I got this amazing job, for a wonderful and inspiring woman, so I thought it would get better. I also have an amazing boyfriend, who is super supportive of me. I found a great house to rent at a great price, so I thought I'd get better. Instead, I kept getting lower and lower, to the point where I had a nervous breakdown and started having suicidal thoughts. After some girlfriends suggested my copper IUD might be causing toxicity, I went online and did some research. That is when I found tons of info backing what they were thinking, including this thread. 36 hours later, I had the IUD removed. Now, 8 days later, I feel amazingly better! It's night and day!

If you want to try taking supplements, try it and see how it works for you. But please don't let your GYN dictate your life. Mine didn't believe me when I told him about the possibility of copper tox, but still removed it, because it's my body and my decision, and he has no right to tell me that I can't remove it. 

You are not alone *Hug*

mommakris's Avatar mommakris 08:18 AM 08-20-2011

Hello ladies,

I am also a copper IUD user and have had many side effects mentioned on this thread.  I had the copper IUD inserted on July 5th.  I also stopped birth control at the same time.  The first month wasn't bad.  I felt great!  Had some moodiness off and on but nothing major.  After having my first period I had I took a spiral turn for the worse.  Bits of anxiety/depression, irritability, insomnia, wanting to cry all the time, troubles concentrating, dizziness, no motivation, etc.  I spoke to my dr and they said since the copper iud is hormone free, it was unlikely my symptoms were from the IUD.  So i went back to the drawing bord.  I starting thinking it is side effects from going off the pill.  Things that normally would not bother me, are causing me severe anxiety.  I have no ambition, and just want to mope around.  So i went to a local health food store that specializes in natural remedies.  After explaining my symptoms, he thought for sure i was having a progestrone deficiency.  I am now on progestrone cream, magnisium supplement and am taking melatonin to help  me sleep.  I was having side effects on the pill, but nothing like this!  I contacted the health food store to see if maybe I am having a reaction to the IUD instead of having a hormonal imbalance.  He is out of the office until Monday so I am going to continue to take the progestrone cream and hope for the best bet will definitely look into the fact it could be the IUD.  I hope not because I really dont' want to go on birth control again.  I just want to feel like myself again!!  Good luck to all the women out there having problems.  I hope we all get answers very soon!  I will post updates as often as possible

LeahF's Avatar LeahF 05:31 PM 08-22-2011

I know this thread is old but I have been doing some research as I have had some of side effects as listed above and I am posting this incase someone new is reading.

The heavy periods caused by the copper iud can cause iron deficiency  anemia.  The anemia is causing the other problems such as:

• Easy fatigue and loss of energy
  • Unusually rapid heart beat
  • Shortness of breath and headache
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Dizziness
  • Pale skin
  • Leg cramps
  •  Insomnia
  • Anxiety

You need to see your doctor as it will get worst!

Hope this helps.

LeahF's Avatar LeahF 05:41 PM 08-22-2011

Loss of breath, loss of hair, anxiety, depression are all symptoms of Iron deficiency anemia.  Which could be caused by the heavy periods from the IUD.  See you doctor right away to get tested as it could get worst!

sara15's Avatar sara15 02:11 PM 08-24-2011

Yeah iron deficiency is possible but they tested me for that when the iud was still in and my iron was fine.

sara1106's Avatar sara1106 07:40 PM 08-24-2011

So I got my paragard IUD put in two months ago and since they my life has been hell.  I've been having the weirdest symptoms.  I'm starting to think I'm crazy.  A week after I had it put in I got this weird tingly sensation down my head.  Freaked me out, but just thought it was from our 8 hour drive home from vacation.  A few days later, I had a similar sensation.  Went to my family doctor and she checked me out and thought it was nerves in my neck.  I asked her about the iud and she blew it off.  Now 4 weeks later, I am feeling like crap.  I pretty much have an anxiety attack every day.  I had to go to the ER this morning because I had a horrible case of vertigo.  I got this weird jolt of electricity feeling through my head the other night.  It's just weird!!  I'm calling my gyno tomorrow to get the thing taken out asap!!  I hope I start to feel better...if not I might have to go get an mri which I don't want to do.  Anyone have weird nerve tingling??  I'm so happy to have found this board!!

sara15's Avatar sara15 11:44 AM 08-25-2011

i had what felt like my whole left side tingled like lack of circulation. And it would not go away for hours sometimes. And had weird sensations go up my neck to back of my head. Haven't had it since i got mine out. Don't know the cause per say just know that it did stop after mine was out.

mommakris's Avatar mommakris 12:23 PM 08-25-2011

Few things... I had my IUD taken out on Monday after having it for 7 weeks.  I had a panic attack taking my kids to their first day of school Monday and had to call 911.  So instead of me taking my kids to school and it being a great day, my boss took the kids to school and I went to the ER.  Not cool.  Needless to say, the IUD was causing all my symptoms.  LeahF- I had my iron checked as well and was taking a multivitamin with extra iron/zinc to make sure I wouldn't get anemic.  It was my reaction to the copper my OBGYN said.  I was in there on August 5th for a check up to make sure IUD was in place and within that amount of time i went crazy.  The only thing different was the IUD.  I don't take prescription meds so it had to be from the IUD.  So my major side effects were- anxiety/depression, troubles concentrating, dizziness, fatigue, no ambition, insomnia, and headaches.  But I also developed a skin rash around my nose ring (which i've had for 5+ yrs with no troubles) and severe ear aches/ sinus pressure and sinus congestion along with extremely dry nostils.  Every day gets better :)  thank goodness!!!

Last night I slept for 7 hrs straight and actually had dreams :)  That hasn't happend for several weeks!!!  I am still pretty dizzy during the day but I think that is more from the pressue in my ears/sinus'.  I hope this gets better soon cuz it is really annoying.  I feel the best in the evening.  I actually have energy to fix supper and spend time with my kids.  I am trying not to over do it.  I want to start running again, but need to hold back for a week or so, specially until the dizziness goes away. 

I am very sad because I wanted the IUD to work for me!  I was so excited about getting off HBC.  I think it's a great method of BC for people who can handle the copper!  I am just one of those who cannot.  I wanted to post this so that people who are having similar symptoms don't feel crazy.  For those who have to take it out, hang in there!  The side effects will go away.  I am thankful my OBGYN agreed with me and took it out right away!  I will come back and post improvements as the days go by!

Good luck ladies!

mizfiesta's Avatar mizfiesta 01:22 PM 08-25-2011

I stumbled upon this thread today and couldn't believe what I was reading. I had the IUD fitted on Tuesday the 26th July 2011 at, what we British call, The Family Planning Clinic (our regular Doctors don't provide this service - we go to a clinic where the Doctors specialise in the fitting of such devices). I've been suffering from anxiety/panic attacks ever since! I do have a background of suffering from anxiety and panic attacks but it got ten times worse just after this IUD was fitted.

Only two days after having the IUD fitted I walked out of work to go see my regular Doctor as I felt so bad - and I haven't been back at work since. I didn't even mention having the IUD fitted to my regular Doctor as I didn't see the connection to be honest. The Doctor has signed me off work and gave me anti anxiety medication. As I said, I have always been kinda 'nervy' so I'm not sure if having the IUD fitted and the decline in my mental health was a sheer coincidence, but I do now wonder after reading this? I go for a six week check for the IUD on Tuesday of next week and I'm going to ask to have it removed. It's only been in six weeks so I hope the Family Planning Doctor doesn't try and persuade me otherwise. So can I expect the FP Doc to rubbish any claim I may make that the IUD may be causing my current symptoms?

mommakris's Avatar mommakris 02:37 PM 08-25-2011

Hello mizfiesta,

Your doctor might say this has nothing to do with the IUD.  Some women say that's their docs reaction.  I was lucky.  My OBGYN immediately thought it was the IUD and since then my anxiety has diminished. I would say stick to how you feel.  If you've had your anxiety/depressin pretty much under control and have had no major life changing events that could have caused the anxiety/depression etc to return, then chances are it's the IUD.  Remember it's your body.  I didn't think it was the IUD either.  Honestly, I thought it was a hormonal imbalance from going off the pill the same time I got the IUD.  IF it wasn't for the panic attack Monday morning and my OBGYN stating it was probably the IUD, i would have left it in.  and thank goodness I didnt.  Good luck and if you need encouragement/advice let me know!

mizfiesta's Avatar mizfiesta 11:31 AM 08-26-2011

Thanks Mommakris, I go on Tuesday to Family Planning Clinic. I'll let you know how I get on. I just want it out now and I'm worried they don't take it out on the day.

jassie66's Avatar jassie66 09:04 PM 08-26-2011

I have had the exact same thing I think ! I swear I was going crazy like a nervous breakdown I was anxious and it felt like my brain was literally going crazy. I went to the doctor and they said ur depressed he`s a script for an antidepressant. I tried them for about 4 days and it didnt feel right I wanted to know WHY I was/am feeling this way but they dont care!!! so I went off them and started on proxan a natural antidepressant and another chinese herb for stress. I have been on them for about 3 weeks and am slowly improving but I read ur post on Monday and booked that day to have the IUD removed. Istant relief!!! I was feeling better the day after and better again each day but I have my period now and definatley am having good and bad moments. Did this happen to u? Im just alittle worried its coming back again. I had my copper levels tested and they are high so im thinking that everyone has good and bad moments and it takes awhile for the copper to leave my body so I should be patient?? ur post gave me hope xx THANKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactavia View Post

I had the copper IUD for about 9 months. Shortly after I had it inserted, I started having anxiety, panic attacks on and off (nothing to be consistent enough at the beginning to make me wonder if it was the IUD) I also became unhappy, unmotivated, and just plain blah. I felt like I was sick all the time.

I had my IUD removed and two days after I felt like my old self again. Now I feel fantastic one month later! People at work are even commenting on how different or rather "normal" I am.

Did this happen to anybody else out there?

Indrah's Avatar Indrah 06:47 PM 08-28-2011

Hi Ladies,

I have been having nothing but problems with my paragard since I got it, insane cramps, very heavy bleeding, foul menstrual odor, etc.  I was searching forums tonight and read of many people who removed their IUD on their own.  I don't have insurance and I really wanted it out, so I decided I was going to try it.... I first thoroughly sanitized my hands, washing, washing, then scrubbing with alcohol.  I then laid on my back on my bed as you would at the doctors office, reached in, felt the string, wrapped my finger around it then gave a small tug and it popped right out. No pain and just tiny discomfort. I then used a masengil medicated douche with iodine to prevent infection.  I could smell the menstrual odor on the paragard so now I know that is what was causing it.

Don't be afraid, just relax and gently tug and you'll be rid of that pesky iud in seconds.

Good luck!

Ladyafrica7Fe's Avatar Ladyafrica7Fe 07:48 PM 08-30-2011
I am so happy , I found woman that are going through what I am experiencing. I had the iud place in September 2010 after my second born. I had the depo Vera for three year b4 I gave birth to my first child. It was beautiful . The second time around it was awful I has stomach pains. I went to a natural alternative center and had foot detox done. Which pulled it out right away. I became pregnant the same month.

I wanted to try the copper iud I had a bad panic attack in march that placed me the ER. Of course after blood works, EkG, heart monitors they could not pin point if it was a panicattack or just dimple heart palpitations . Last week I felt horrible like in was going die my blood pressure was elevated and my heart was pumping. Again the same test was performed. They even checked my lung for blood clots. The dr. Couldn't pin point it. I told him I had the iud he said maybe it's giving off substance eqaual to estrogen . I though hot dame let me look this up. I am reading all the systems. Copper toxicity . I am having it removed tomorrow. I want to be myself. I am experiencing racing thoughts, sinus problem, sluggishness, out of touch, and my brain feel heavy and low sex drive.
onlyonce 05:59 AM 09-02-2011

It took me over a year to realize what was going on with my body.  When the hair loss got more than I could ignore I had my husband go on the computer while I was putting the kids down for the night.  I knew the IUD was the only "new" thing going on with my body.  His first words were "oh honey this is so you".  I had symptoms I didnt know were even related.  I was tired, come on what mother of three isnt tired.  My body ached especially in the morning, well I was getting older, 40 this year.  I just felt sluggish and my pms was absolutely horrible.  I didnt realize how bad I was feeling until I got it removed.  But before my apt I did go give blood on advice from a nurse at work.  SHe stated this is an old school treatment for copper toxicity that they did with the vietnam vets.  After donating blood i was tired that day but the next day i felt amazing!  I woke up before the alarm and was not hurting.  Two days later I had the iud removed.  I feel like my old self again.  The minor depression is gone and my energy level is back.  I am just sad it took me so long to figure it out. I had it put in 3 months after birth of my son.  I think since it had been a year (9 months preggos and then 3 months) that I had kind of forgotten what my "normal" felt like.  If you are having symptoms get that thing out!  Go give blood if you are able.  oh also wanted to mention that my hair is growing back.  It took awhile for the hair loss to stop but my head is itchy due to new growth.  Good luck to all.

mamaktovar's Avatar mamaktovar 10:20 AM 09-05-2011

I feel like I am reading my own story.

I've only had Paragard for just over a week now. Last night, I had the dreaded PPD talk with my husband. I never thought a non-hormonal IUD could be the cause of making me feel like I am a damn psycho. I feel like an idiot for wasting that much money for only a week and a half - and I will feel like even more of an idiot if I get it removed it IS postpartum depression.

I will probably be back to update.

jlynng's Avatar jlynng 08:23 PM 09-14-2011

I think it's really great that this thread is still open and has been going for so long. It's really hard to find information regarding this online or anywhere. I am so thankful for all of the information and experiences posted here and glad to also know that I am not crazy.

I am on my second month of having the paragard in. At first it was alright, I could deal with extra cramping and a heavier period. But about a week before my second period with the thing it just kept getting worse. I've had a pretty much constant foggy headed feeling, I'm often tired, this morning I could barely get out of bed despite 8 good hours of sleep. I've been overly emotional, crying at the drop of a hat. Not to mention the physical symptoms, aching head, dull pains on the right side of my stomach (my liver, I'm guessing) and lower back pains. I just haven't felt like myself and couldn't figure out why until after trying a myriad of things I realized the IUD was the only variable left. I feel like it just keeps getting worse and I can't wait to have it out. Unfortunately I spoke with planned parenthood and its going to be atleast $300 (as I have no insurance) if not more to stick some tweezers in there and pop it out...out of desperation I even found the string and tried to give it a tug but to no avail.

Regardless, somehow this thing is getting the f*** outta there. I'm so bummed it didn't work out but I can't wait to feel like myself again. If this thread is still going maybe I will update post-removal, but in the meantime keep sharing ladies, when it comes to this it looks like this thread is one of the best resources we have.

Hannah2011's Avatar Hannah2011 12:41 AM 09-20-2011

My Copper IUD experience: Copper IUD, Depression, Anxiety, Fear

I have experienced severe migraines for several years and though I have yet to conclusively pinpoint the trigger for them, several doctors have suggested the Pill (which I have been taking on-and-off over the past 8 years) has been the likely cause. After a terribly violent migraine in July this year, I opted to get off the Pill in order to determine whether the migraines would cease.

Given that I had experienced horrendous side-effects with Implanon (which I had tried a few years earlier) – bloating, overly emotional, fatigue – and needed contraception, my only viable alternative to the Pill was the non-hormonal IUD. I thought that cramping and heavy periods would be a small price to pay every month for 5 years of highly effective contraception. Therefore, I decided to have the Multiload Copper IUD inserted in August this year.

In summary, my copper IUD experience has been hell – especially since I put up with it for 5 weeks until I realised it was causing me all the problems. Within seven days of insertion, I began to experience anxiety, sadness, and fatigue. As the days progressed, my anxiety got worse, even though I had absolutely nothing to be anxious or worried about. Soon thereafter, my mind began to race, and despite feeling constantly exhausted, my brain simply would not stop stressing. I desperately wanted to pull myself out of the way I was feeling but I honestly could not. I'd ask myself what I was stressing about, and I could never come up with an answer. I'd wake up several times throughout the night, never be energised regardless of how long I stayed in bed, and was constantly paranoid with irrational fears. I couldn't concentrate on anything and lost all motivation for everything. I felt like a completely unfamiliar person. I truly thought I was losing my mind. I even took a short relaxing holiday with my partner and nothing could make me calm or relaxed. After a month, I realised something was seriously wrong. I have an amazing job, family, boyfriend, friends, and no matter how much I wanted to be happy and calm, I simply could not burst through the depression. I really thought I'd never be my happy old self again. It was a dark time. The worst part of all was that I was constantly reassuring myself (and everyone around me)  it couldn't be the IUD – I had specifically told my gynaecologist that if there was a chance of ANY mood changes I did not want it inserted and she said there was no way it was possible.

Finally, following the insistence of my boyfriend who said he had noticed a change in me as soon as I had the IUD inserted, I googled depression /anxiety and the Copper IUD. Stumbling upon this thread was the help I really needed – thank you so much to everyone who has posted. When I realised that it was possible this 'no side-effects non-hormonal IUD' was creating an imbalance in my body, I looked into copper overload. Though the condition may be rare, the symptoms of it matched everything I had been feeling over the past 5 weeks. If you are unsure what I am talking about, please turn to Ann Louise Gittleman's work on copper overload as a starting point.

Being a vegetarian since the age of 11, it is likely that I already had high copper levels, (or a zinc deficiency) before I had the Copper IUD inserted, and the additional copper in my body was just too much. My gynaecologist gave me absolutely no indication there was a possibility (albeit tiny) of this happening, and for that, I am extremely annoyed. Patients have the right to make informed decisions based on full and frank information, and I certainly wasn't given that. I made the decision to have my Copper IUD removed, but before I could get in to have it removed I began taking zinc supplements. The zinc definitely decreased my anxiety and panic levels, and I wish I had of known to take it at the start as it may have prevented what was to follow. My IUD was taken out this morning by a different gynaecologist under light sedation. I still feel like I have a long way to go to get back to how I felt two months ago (before the IUD was inserted), but I know I'm a lot closer now the IUD is out.

I post this not to scare people, or talk women out of the IUD, but to let people going through a similar experience know that they are not alone. I know many women with both copper and hormonal IUDs who have nothing but positive recounts of their experiences on them. Unfortunately, I just wasn't one of those people. In the event my symptoms don't improve over the next few weeks – I promise to eat my words and retract my criticisms of the Copper IUD, but in the meantime, the Copper IUD was hell.

DesertFlower's Avatar DesertFlower 03:08 PM 09-20-2011

I'm so glad you found this thread! I did too, about 6 weeks ago. Within a couple of weeks of removing my IUD, it was as if I'd woken up from a nightmare!

First ... 3  4  5 6  7  15  ... Last

Up