How soon is too soon to get pregnant again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What happens if you get pregnant again too soon after birth? I know people say to wait for your body to heal. What can happen if you get pregnant too soon?
And how soon is too soon?

(assuming that you cannot breastfeed)
#2 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 12:53 AM

Well, I had twins via csection and 3 months later got pg with my son. They are 12 months apart. Everything went well, although it does take a toll on your body (HUGE difference in energy during pg)!

Erika, wife to geek.gif and Mommy to twins.gif born in 05, coolshine.gif born in 06, biggrinbounce.gif born in 08! Ive had 8 miscarriagesmecry.gif and am praying.gif for a sticky bean in December 2012! I homeschool.gifsaynovax.gifwinner.jpg and hope for a hbac.gif!

#3 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had read (sorry don't remember the source) that between 18 months & 5 years was the ideal amount of time between children (their births). That anything less than that was hard on your body & that anything more than that can cause more complications (not sure why on that though).

We are hoping to get pregnant again within a year.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 AM

I have read to wait at least 14 months (after a normal birth) to get pregnant again.
If you get pregnant too soon, the most common complications are miscarriage (I had a friend who got pregnant TWO weeks after her daughters birth and it just ended in a miscarraige) - or premature birth (which is obviously not something nice)...both things I would personally not want to risk imo. However, I am also a fan of larger siblings age gaps for many reasons.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#5 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 12:04 PM

The mainstream norm is around 2yrs from birth to gettign pregnant again. Atleast that is what My ob would tell me everytime I would come back pregnant in less than 2yrs.
But Having babies that are 10 1/2 yrs apart - I wouldn't completly recommend
26mo apart and 21mo apart, I'm perfectly good with that amount of of time.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#6 of 9 Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 PM

My kids will be about 14 months apart in age. I've had no major complications, but at the same time I wouldn't intentionally choose that small of gap. The biggest thing for me was my decreasing and eventually disappearing milk supply affecting my son's health in ways that proved rectifiable but nevertheless were risky -- doesn't happen to everyone, but then again it can't be predicted either. Also there is the simple level of exhaustion in trying to chase after a one year old while in the third trimester, the sense of not having really recovered from the level of attention/care/sleeplessness a newborn can demand before starting it all over again, and the degree of tiredness/soreness in all muscle groups related to supporting my unborn child before they had a chance to recover themselves -- all things that can come with a subsequent birth even years later, but which I feel are exacerbated by being so early. I am concerned, as well, as to what a second birth so soon might do to the scar tissue from where I tore with my first.

Obviously none of that is "oh my god the trauma!" kind of stuff, but all together it IS a greater degree of discomfort than I think I was prepared to take on. For some women, of course, one baby after another is great. But I think it's pretty normal to benefit both physically and emotionally from a little bit greater gap.
#7 of 9 Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 AM

Sadly, I believe that when my body isn't ready to sustain a pregnancy, it doesn't. I had three consecutive "just bad luck" miscarriages after Skye, who breastfed obsessively, but I conceived and bore two children in less time after DS1's birth. (21 month gap, as opposed to 26)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#8 of 9 Old 06-28-2008, 11:57 PM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#9 of 9 Old 06-29-2008, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My first are 15mnths apart, then right after that-12mnths apart, and it does take a toll. But I love having them so close.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page