Hypothetically... - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 224 Old 08-07-2008, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
My children draw with Crayola, wear name brand clothing and have appropriate clothing for the seasons, but insurance is so far out of our budget it's not even fathomable unless we gave up eating and having electricity. It does not mean my children suffer from ridicule by others in any way.

I personally don’t equate lack of insurance with poverty as a given. I know many middle class families who don’t have insurance. Without my full-time job, I won’t have insurance because I don’t QUALIFY for the $350/mo individual insurance. My DP was pulling 300K a year from his business (minus tax of course and he doesn’t do that now) when we first met and he didn’t have insurance because he didn’t qualify. $5000 for much needed dental work here, $1000 for doctors there – it all came (and still is) out of his pocket. I am paying $3000 this year alone on dental work alone; $50 co-payment for a medication that is not available in generic; $500 co-payment for bloodwork, etc. it would be more if I didn’t have insurance. If we were poor we would be SCREWED.

This is not what I want for my children.
#212 of 224 Old 08-07-2008, 04:27 PM

Then it's your choice to have or not to have children. Whatever you think is right for you. That's all I'm saying, that everyone should be able to choose for themselves without being judged.
#213 of 224 Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Then it's your choice to have or not to have children. Whatever you think is right for you. That's all I'm saying, that everyone should be able to choose for themselves without being judged.

There were other posters on this thread judging those of us with our views too. Just sayin.

#214 of 224 Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
There were other posters on this thread judging those of us with our views too. Just sayin.
not the same thing. nobody is judging you for what you do with your life, the choices you make. you are simply being judged for judging others.
#215 of 224 Old 08-07-2008, 04:49 PM

But, on the other side of the fence....

Just because you qualify for Medicaid does NOT mean you are financially unstable or poor. It does NOT mean that you have no money or no means to purchase anything.

It's the "income:debt/bills" ratio. You can make $200,000 a year and still be poor because of debt, bills, and living above your means.
#216 of 224 Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM

I've been following this thread, and it's kinda sad at the assumptions that have been made if you do qualify for Medicaid, you must be poor. Well we are not rich, my husband has a good job and we do qualify for for Medicaid. I did have my DD on Medicaid and I don't think that she is suffering because we don't get insurance w/out it being state insurance. It's obvious to me that the biggest problem is that our country doesn't provide insurance for it's citizens, we are all expected to pay out the a** for insurance.

I live in an area where many people would never have children if it wasn't for getting some kind of state insurance, it's just a fact that the county I live in is considered *poor*. The average income is 36,000, and pretty much the only people who do have insurance work for the government, every body else has to fend for themselves.

I don't feel my DD is suffering because we are technically poor, I know that I am a way better parent than many people who can provide every little thing for their kids. I shop wisely, we have everything that we need for her and our family. To make a broad statement that if you qualify for state insurance you must be too poor to have a child is a sad judgment, maybe our country should "buck up" and start helping it's citizens. Maybe I cannot afford to go buy every little thing at Baby Gap, but I know that I can provide the things to make her a happy well adjusted child(that includes Crayola crayons).

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#217 of 224 Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
not the same thing. nobody is judging you for what you do with your life, the choices you make. you are simply being judged for judging others.
This, exactly.
#218 of 224 Old 08-09-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyVorpe View Post
Insurance for DH- $250 per MONTH
Insurance for Me- extra $95 per month
DS, DD1, DD2- $245 per MONTH.

We rely on ourselves for things like clothes, food, electric, car, etc. BUT, with the cost of insurance... and a $30 copay at each maternity visit, you bet your bottom I had state insurance.
:
Health insurance through my husband's workplace would cost more than our mortage payment. So both my pregnancies have been on Medicaid.

But don't worry, we're not irresponsble. In a few years we'll be bringing in a lot more money and can afford designer crayons so our sons won't need to be ashamed.
#219 of 224 Old 08-10-2008, 11:02 AM

wow there is so much going on here I'm almost at a loss but feel I need to type something but I'm almost unsure of what it is...

first the thread has gotten way out of control
second this is a place to share opinions and this thread continues to bash people on both sides of the fence and in the middle it seems
third the OP is asking a question she probably already knows the answer to, just like if I posted a thread saying "should I have a baby if I cant afford my bills?" kwim? obviously the answer is no but my heart still wants one, can you imagine the debate that thread would start?!
fourth my personal thought is the assistance is there if you need it, I myself would not purposly get pregnant knowing that the state would assist in cost, I would find a way to make it happen on my own, again thats just me

freedom of speech without condeming eachother is what I'd like to see more in this thread

thats my 2 cents

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

#220 of 224 Old 08-10-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post
: In a few years we'll be bringing in a lot more money and can afford designer crayons so our sons won't need to be ashamed.
Okay I have seen this a few times, what is a "designer" crayon? Surely you can't be talking about the .22 box of crayola crayons? I'm getting more confused reading this thread.
On the privilege things that gets thrown around so much on this board. You don't have to be "privileged" or rich to have medical coverage.
#221 of 224 Old 08-10-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
Okay I have seen this a few times, what is a "designer" crayon? Surely you can't be talking about the .22 box of crayola crayons? I'm getting more confused reading this thread.
On the privilege things that gets thrown around so much on this board. You don't have to be "privileged" or rich to have medical coverage.
No, you don't. But you kind of have to be lucky.

Here's where the crayon thing started:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
. I've seen the hurt in more than one child's eyes that comes from (snipping out a long list) having generic crayons when the rest of the class has Crayola

Anyway, here's the thing about health care/health insurance that more than one person is forgetting. Everyone pays for everyone else anyway. The taxes you pay support health care for people who are not you. The health insurance premimums you pay support health care for people who are not you. The cost of health care bourne by those who can pay supports the ability of hospitals to provide care to those who can't.

If it's unethical to plan a pregnancy when you know you will need state assistance, why isn't it unethical to plan a pregnancy when you know you will need inurance to cover it? Why should other people have to have the cost of YOUR children incorporated into their insurance premiums? Is it only okay to plan pregnancy when you can't afford out-of-pocket medical care if you UC?

s
#222 of 224 Old 08-10-2008, 02:57 PM

Ok. Only on MDC would a crayola crayon be labeled as "designer".
I don't think your lucky if you can afford coverage that would mean that you or your spouse are simply "lucky" to have jobs that entitle you so. Anyway I've already stated that I don't see a problem having a baby on medicaid but the whole privileged versus poor thing gets to me as if there is no in-between.
#223 of 224 Old 08-10-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
I would very much like to see the statistics on this- people who own their homes, are employed and are basically financially stable but still unable to pay for health insurance. Could you link to your sources, please?
Not *exactly* what you're looking for, but here's a start.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...althcost_x.htm
""What this country is actually doing is gradually pricing the lower third of the wage and income distribution out of health care," says Uwe Reinhardt, a Princeton economist. "

http://www.cbpp.org/8-28-07pov.htm
"It is also notable that the share of full-time workers without health insurance rose to 17.9 percent — more than 1 in 6 full-time workers now lacked health insurance in 2006"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1548034.shtml
"The percentage of working-age Americans with moderate to middle incomes who lacked health insurance for at least part of the year rose to 41 percent in 2005, a dramatic increase from the 28 percent in 2001 without coverage"

http://www.pnhp.org/news/2007/august...eclass_america.
"2 - There are now more uninsured in the U.S. — 47.0 million — than at any time since passage of Medicare/Medicaid in the mid-1960’s.

3 - 93% of the increase is among middle and high income families:"

Google "uninsured middle class" for more.
#224 of 224 Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
I don't think your lucky if you can afford coverage that would mean that you or your spouse are simply "lucky" to have jobs that entitle you so. Anyway I've already stated that I don't see a problem having a baby on medicaid but the whole privileged versus poor thing gets to me as if there is no in-between.
Well, in our particular situation it's a choice between a job with affordable health care and a job that will let us pay all our bills. We might, in a few weeks, be in situation where we can do both- which is due to a combination of hard work and, yes, luck.

I also consider my family in many ways both privelged AND poor. Our income is fairly low right now (though not at the poverty level by any means) and we qualify for state health insurance, WIC, etc. But I have a BA and my husband has an MA and both our families are fairly well off (mine especially). Within the next five-seven years our income should easily double. If we haven't already, we will certainly end up paying more into the state health insurance system via taxes than we've used.

If we wanted to have another baby right now and couldn't access any form of health insurance, my parents would be more than willing to "fund" another grandchild. They bought us a wood stove so we can afford heat our house this winter. We have a great safety net- and I can easily see how hard it must be for people in our situation WITHOUT that safety net.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page