Birth control makes me tired!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What can I do to counter act this problem birth control makes me so tired and useless. But I really don't want to get pregnant again I have tried about 5 different pills in the last 2 years and an mirena iud and they all make me feel crapy! Tired, moody sometimes, depressed sometimes.
I really would like a way to make this work this time I am taking seasonique the one that you take for 3 months at a time.
Also keep in mind I don't have insurance so trying a non hormonal iud is not an option but after the mirena don't think I will ever go there again.
#2 of 6 Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 AM

You could always try something like CycleBeads. Its totally natural and it works great as long as your cycles are 26-32 days long. I looked up the FAQ on them and as long as you follow them, the chance of pregnancy is 5%. It worked to prevent pregnancy in me for 3 years and when DH and I decided to get pregnant there wasn't any time I needed to wean off meds.
#3 of 6 Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM

How about something low-tech like condoms, a diaphragm, and/or Fertility Awareness? I was really happy with FAM for getting pregnant and as birth control between babies... personally I will be getting a copper IUD in a few weeks since we have no plans for a third child, but if I have rotten side effects from it we will probably just use FAM ourselves. It's about 98% effective if you learn how to do it correctly, even if you have irregular cycles. I also hate the pill - I've been ever so much happier since I stopped taking them 3 years ago!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#4 of 6 Old 07-09-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I don't trust myself to do any natural methods I Have had screwy cycles for a long long time. I would like to have something fool proof at least 99.9%. We have 2 and thats enough for us but the insurance for my husband won't cover a vasectomy for a year.
#5 of 6 Old 07-09-2008, 03:12 PM

I was on the pill for over 15 years before I got married - for dysmenorreah, and it really did work. Because I was always on it, I never knew anything different. i stopped because we wanted to be pregnant, and we got our wish pretty quick.

After my first DD, it took 18 months before cycle returned, but I was also not interested in sex, so we weren't worried Eventually, I was persuaded by the gyn to take birth control, so i tried it, but I kept forgetting it, and that was more stressful than anything - and then I started getting moody. Was it the drugs? I don't know. I ultimately decided not to take it anymore. I'm hyper-sensitive/allergic to condoms, so that isn't an option for me.

We just decided to learn about my ovulation cycle, which I guess is similar to charting. I'm not dedicated enough to do more than that! I borrowed an ovulation prediction test (clear blue or something), when we wanted to be pregnant again, and I learned that I ovulate on day 5-9. (prior to that, we just only had sex between day 14 & period)

So, after 2nd DD, I really didn't want to take pills, so I kept track of my days on the calendar. For 4 years, it worked just fine! There were one or two questionable months, when we played russian roulette with the calendar, but we have sex rather infrequently, so waiting a few days was never a problem. The months before we got pregnant this time, I was more amorous than normal. I wanted to BE pregnant, but I was afraid to GET pregnant, until we were sure it would not be a mistake. Things were going really well - we were happy about some stuff in our lives, so we celebrated a bit more, too - you CAN NOT count days reliably when you are drunk We DTD on day 6 and day 9 oops. But we're happy about it. Giddy, in fact!

so, I think that if you're dedicated to figuring out your cycle AND if you're regular, I think you can do a pretty good job of natural birth control and stop worrying so much. There are good books and I think even some threads here on MDC that can give you lots of advice.

**NOTE** you just updated and said you're not regular, so here's one more thought. Get an ovulation tester, and use it. It takes a month to get it adjusted to your body, but I think that it would be helpful for you. A year isn't TOOOOO long.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#6 of 6 Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 PM

I learned FAM and also bought a fertility monitor called LadyComp. Google that and read up, it is very effective and my cycles varied as well.

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page