Giving away the baby stuff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-21-2003, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how others have responded once you've decided you're "done"... We've had five pregnancies and have two kids and are pretty sure we're a complete family (i.e. done) but whenever I talk to friends about giving away baby stuff, they say "Are you sure?" and "You'll change your mind." and "Isn't it a bit early to be making such a big decision?" (our youngest is 9 months). How would you reply???
#2 of 6 Old 10-21-2003, 08:49 PM

I'd probably just say something along the lines of, "i'm decluttering, simplifying, etc, and if we decide to have another child then i can always get more baby gear then. Someone else might as well be using it in the meantime..."
#3 of 6 Old 10-27-2003, 07:01 PM

I don't know how to respond. Aster's words are great, though.

I think people may ask you because there are soooo many couples who decide after 5-10 years, once the youngest is school age, that they want another child. By then, after years of telling themselves, "we're done", their minds will not let their hearts make a decision...and they have probably already tied their tubes. Just an idea.
#4 of 6 Old 10-27-2003, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we can imagine that possibility and aren't planning to do anything final, but have really been surprised at people's willingness to make such judgmental comments in such a personal area!
#5 of 6 Old 11-01-2003, 08:16 AM

I agree with you ~ I can't believe how people feel it's their right to make comments like that. We get the other end, we've had three kids and we get people saying "you're done now, right?" or my mil asking dh "when are you going to get a vasectomy" : I mean, we're pretty sure we're done, but that's OUR decision to make!

I agree with Aster...good comebacks!! Then just change the subject...it is hard though!!

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

#6 of 6 Old 11-01-2003, 09:44 AM

i just say that i don't have room to keep every single infant thing readily available, and that i would like someone else to get use out of them right now, and that if and when we have another child i will want all new, top-of-the-line stuff.
we only have one child, and i've been giving stuff away for over 6 months. she just turned 2. i gave tons of it to a couple in my husband's unit who are having a first baby, sold some to a first-time mom i met in a bookstore, and the rest to my newly-pregnant SIL.
i kind of have a built-in excuse though, in that we are moving in 6 months and i want to move as few items as possible!
oh, i also tell people that i am keeping the stuff i really like and is special to me. that placates the busybodies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page