Mirena and Painful Sex - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted in Fertility earlier about Mirena and EWCM, but it probably should have been posted here. I had a Mirena inserted at 6 weeks PP and have had painful sex since. I don't feel any of the poking stuff that folks on the other Mirena threads have mentioned, but it feels like I'm getting rubbed with sandpaper. I'm having EWCM, so it isn't really a dryness problem. DH doesn't feel the strings at all. I want to like it because I really don't want another surgery after 2 unplanned c-sections, and all the emotional issues I have with docs and those situations now. I even have issues surrounding having this Mirena placed. I can't do the pill as it makes me crazy. I've had to take progesterone to help me get pregnant, so the hormones aren't bothering me as of now. Anyone else experience this? Will it get better?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 6 Old 07-31-2008, 09:18 PM

Could it be some sort of atrophic vaginitis due to breastfeeding? If you've got fragile skin in there it wouldn't really matter how lubed you were, it would still be pretty painful.

Did you DTD before the insertion, or was this the first time PP?
#3 of 6 Old 08-02-2008, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't have sex until after the Mirena was placed. I so wish I had been prepared for my homebirth plan to end in a c-section so I could have made arrangements to get my tubes tied while they were in there. I can't withstand another c-section, and DH and I don't have insurance for any kind of male sterilization. I just so want this thing to work.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-03-2008, 03:26 PM

i've had my Mirena for 5 years. It does hurt if my cervix gets bonked during sex- I think it bonks the IUD inside. I dunno but its a very sharp pain!

Anyway, where exactly is getting "rubbed with sandpaper"? I have had a few fissures on my labia but i have enough EWCM too and regular lube. I had to get a script for it. Also I seem to have had more yeast infections since too - maybe due to the hormones?? It might just disrupt thig slightly but it shouldn't.

have you thought about the essure tubal? I am having it done later this month as I am "done" and don't want another IUD and can't take any hormones like the pill or depo or norplant, etc. Its not major surgery but in-office sedation done through your cervix. I don't know how you'd feel aout this considering you said your IUD insertion wasn't great.

HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
I posted in Fertility earlier about Mirena and EWCM, but it probably should have been posted here. I had a Mirena inserted at 6 weeks PP and have had painful sex since. I don't feel any of the poking stuff that folks on the other Mirena threads have mentioned, but it feels like I'm getting rubbed with sandpaper. I'm having EWCM, so it isn't really a dryness problem. DH doesn't feel the strings at all. I want to like it because I really don't want another surgery after 2 unplanned c-sections, and all the emotional issues I have with docs and those situations now. I even have issues surrounding having this Mirena placed. I can't do the pill as it makes me crazy. I've had to take progesterone to help me get pregnant, so the hormones aren't bothering me as of now. Anyone else experience this? Will it get better?
#5 of 6 Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 PM

hormonal bc can cause yeast overgrowth, even in small doses like Mirena. I was a yeasty person before I got crunchy and the Pill was a nightmare for me and Mirena was only slightly better. I wasn't dry either, but it was awful because the friction irritated the skin. It wasn't a full-blown infection either, just a slight overgrowth that bothered me. Can you try GSE and probiotics to see if that kills them off? Some women have more direct methods for combatting yeast in the vagina, but I've not tried those so I can't rec.
#6 of 6 Old 08-07-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try that because it does feel this way in the vagina, not on the cervix. I've only had 2 yeast infections in my life, so I hadn't even thought of that. I'm also wondering if the strings are too long. DH can't feel them, so I don't know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page