Natural Remedies to get period to start... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I recently started taking the low estrogen BC and for two months no period.I have taken two pregnancy tests and both were negative.I would like to get my period to come back before TTC because I have miscarried twins before getting pregnant when I didn't have a period for seven months.I have decided to go ahead and stop taking this BC because I was fine before now I'm all screwed up.Now I know that you can go to the Dr. and get some pill that makes you start but do any of you all know of anything I could do OTC?
#2 of 10 Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM

When I was on the mini-pill, I was told that even the smallest bit of blood would count as my period. In other words, I could practically miss seeing it, especially when bfing and being pp.
#3 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had my period disappear when taking a low dose BCP. If you have stopped any are trying to get everything going again, Vitex may help. It is a herbal supplement sold at health food stores that regulate hormones.
#4 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 05:43 PM

acupuncture...my cycles were all over the place after my son was born...

1 acupuncture appointment got my period to start after a 70 some odd day anovulatory cycle and 3 months later I was pregnant with the wee one who is sleeping in her hammock as we speak
#5 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 05:48 PM

Messed up cycles can be an indication of a hormone problem. I have PCOS and screwed up cycles. Even the pill didn't help to regulate them. Sometimes I go for months without a period. PCOS also has a higher risk of miscarriage. A thyroid problem can also be a cause of crazy cycles.

I'd tell your doctor about your missed period. Bring up a possible hormonal issue. He or she might want to take some bloodwork. Seven months is way too long. Going longer than 3 months without a period is considered unsafe (unless you're pregnant of course).

I hope everything is just fine. Please get it checked out anyway. I know it's scary to consider but it's worth it if there's a problem.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
#6 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 PM

I understand that going without your period feels very weird but I just wanted to remind you that while you're on hormonal bc you aren't actually having a real period anyway. The bleeding that occurs during your week off the pills is actually a sort of withdrawal bleeding caused by the drop in hormones in your body. I had a similar problem when I was on a low dose pill and my dr. told me that some women respond to these low dose pills by not producing much of a uterine lining at all, which can result in no period, or a period that looks like a day or two of spotting. The fact is you won't have a real period until you stop taking the pills. If at that point your period doesn't return than you should talk to your doctor.

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
#7 of 10 Old 08-02-2008, 01:45 PM

nak

*huge* doses of vit c (10,000 or so per day) for 1-3 days will bring on a period, usually. there is no danger of "o'ding" as any excess vit c is excreted in your urine.

sorry for your loss mama. although i've never lost twins, i've suffered 3 mc, with pcos. i healed myself through diet and now (finally!) have 2 dc.

hth
#8 of 10 Old 08-03-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
nak

*huge* doses of vit c (10,000 or so per day) for 1-3 days will bring on a period, usually. there is no danger of "o'ding" as any excess vit c is excreted in your urine.

sorry for your loss mama. although i've never lost twins, i've suffered 3 mc, with pcos. i healed myself through diet and now (finally!) have 2 dc.

hth
I've never heard this in regards to mega dosing C. I've had to take excessive amounts before, most recently because of an infection, and unfortunately, that's never been one of the side effects.

Vitex has also never worked for me. I've always had to resort to provera. And there was once that my body waited until day 23 AFTER the last pill to start.

OP: if you are worried about side effects of synthetic hormones, and yes... there can be some nastiness... then request a progesterone in oil shot. My RE has offered me one if I should need a kick start again, but this time I accepted the provera. I'm on CD 104 at the moment. Day 1 post Provera.

Yuck yuck yuck.

I hope you manage an AF soon.
#9 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 AM

vit c has worked for me many times before, and other women i've told about it. i do/did have pcos so maybe that has something to do with it. though several other women with regular cycles have had success with vit c.
#10 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
vit c has worked for me many times before, and other women i've told about it. i do/did have pcos so maybe that has something to do with it. though several other women with regular cycles have had success with vit c.

Sometimes when you find something that works for you, ya gotta just grab it and run with it without stopping to question. I know at this point, anything is worth a try.

PCO is a PITA. I wish I had known as a teenager that *this* was the problem, and how to keep issues at minimum naturally, rather than just being given BCPs as a "cure".

OP? Any luck?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page