Charting to Avoid August Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 271 Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
Then I looked it up online and it said in "perfect condition" the sperm can live for 7 days.
I thought it was only 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL
I have been taking vitex for 3 months now I think.
3 months seems to be the universal time for things to start working fully on hormones. When I started taking metformin for PCOS I read it could take 3 months for it to become fully effective. I got pregnant with ds2 3 months after starting it after ttc for 2 1/2 years.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#62 of 271 Old 08-08-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I just read about sperm survival again. It seems that sperm can survive in fertile CM for 5 days but can survive in the fallopian tubes for 7 days. So, I guess that means that you could get pg from sex 7 or maybe even 8 days before O. The reason I say maybe even 8 days is because I just read that with sperm survival in CM you could get pg from sex in the 5 days before O and the day of O. I always thought those 5 days included O day but apparently not. As far as I understand it, once the sperm has gotten into the uterus and fallopian tubes, CM doesn't matter. So, if you have only one day of fertile cm around the time you have sex and the sperm is able to make it into the uterus and fallopian tubes, you could get pregnant as much as 7 or 8 days later even if your cm dries up.

This is a bit worrisome for me, too, because we dtd without any protection or withdrawal 5 days before what now looks like could be my O day. Plus, I had at least 4 days of fertile cm during that time. On a good note, everything I read does say that it's not likely for this to happen. Sperm usually only survives for 2-3 days in any environment. Man, this is so much harder than using FAM for ttc!

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#63 of 271 Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 AM

This is my first month charting.....
I had a m/c last month, Aug was my first AF since. Today is CD10. Here's my question, I had spotting up to day 5 but I have had cramps, bad cramps off and on every single day. I've been dry until yesterday... sticky but no more spotting... and I've been feeling crazy hormonal, like PMS. I thought once AF returned it would sorta be like a reset button for my hormones, I realize that's probably oversimplifying things.
What has been others experiences shortly after m/c? btw my temps are pretty consistently 96.3ish (well I slept in twice...so not counting those)
#64 of 271 Old 08-08-2008, 12:41 PM

Just want to say "hi, I'm new here and to charting." I have to say that I wish that I had known about charting years and years ago. I just came off of bc pills after 18 years (minus pregnancy and part of bf'ing). What a wake-up call to know that all the stuff I was taught as a preteen and teenager about my cycle was pretty much wrong. And here I am, almost 40 years old and just learning about my body! Better late than never, right?

Anyway, this cycle I started a chart mid-cycle, and it is such a stress-reducer to know when to expect my period. I used to think that being crampy meant that I was about to start, but now I know that I may cramp at other times in my cycle.

Glad to be here! amanda
#65 of 271 Old 08-09-2008, 10:12 AM

My temp this morning was 98.5, which is way high. But I looked at the chart and there's no way I could be pregnant; we last had unprotected sex on Day 5, which isn't even possible, right? And if a condom had leaked, we would have known about it. So, business as usual, I think.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#66 of 271 Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_mama View Post
This is my first month charting.....
I had a m/c last month, Aug was my first AF since. Today is CD10. Here's my question, I had spotting up to day 5 but I have had cramps, bad cramps off and on every single day. I've been dry until yesterday... sticky but no more spotting... and I've been feeling crazy hormonal, like PMS. I thought once AF returned it would sorta be like a reset button for my hormones, I realize that's probably oversimplifying things.
What has been others experiences shortly after m/c? btw my temps are pretty consistently 96.3ish (well I slept in twice...so not counting those)
hey there,

s i'm sorry about your m/c.

i haven't had a m/c myself, but i know that it can take a few months for your body to totally reset itself after any kind of major hormonal event. things like m/c, pregnancy, going on/off/changing hormonal birth control can all cause your body to go out of whack for quite a bit of time. for some people everything gets back to normal after just a few weeks, for others it can take months. what you describe sounds normal to me.
#67 of 271 Old 08-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sidshappymama - Welcome! It's fun to read your chart isn't it?

chi_mama - sorry about the m/c. I don't know much about it so I can't answer your question.

So does my chart still look like an O? I hope not. MIL called this morning to tell me someone is pregnant in the family but she does not know who so she wanted to let me know. She is weird like that and has dreams. She has predicted ALL 4 grandkids.
#68 of 271 Old 08-09-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So does my chart still look like an O?
It's hard to say for sure but I'd guess no. Although, your temps are still all higher than before.

What about mine? Does it look like I Oed?

chi_mama ~ I agree with what Amber said. I had 3 m/cs and my cycles afterward were all pretty normal. My m/cs were so early they were considered chemical pregnancies so they didn't have much time to mess with my hormones.

#69 of 271 Old 08-09-2008, 07:15 PM

it's hard to say because 4 of the 6 temps are either missing or possibly taken at the wrong time. It looks like a thermal shift though based on what I see. I think you have probably o'd.
#70 of 271 Old 08-09-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
it's hard to say because 4 of the 6 temps are either missing or possibly taken at the wrong time. It looks like a thermal shift though based on what I see. I think you have probably o'd.
Yeah, I know it's not 100% clear. I can't get temps at the same time every day. I have had what appears to be a total cm dry up. Plus, my cp has been LFC for several days now. Before it seemed like it was always either MMP or HSO. Also, I've been having my excruciating cramps that I usually get from O til AF and I didn't have them before. I've had to take ibuprofen for 3 or 4 days now.

#71 of 271 Old 08-09-2008, 09:06 PM

Even though you don't take your temps at the same time enter them in that way. Then put a note in the notes section stating the real time. I did that for a bit after DD1 and it helped. I knew the notes were there so I could go back and review them but I had clear lines/data on my chart so if I did a quick look I didn't confuse myself.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#72 of 271 Old 08-09-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Even though you don't take your temps at the same time enter them in that way. Then put a note in the notes section stating the real time. I did that for a bit after DD1 and it helped. I knew the notes were there so I could go back and review them but I had clear lines/data on my chart so if I did a quick look I didn't confuse myself.
The problem with that is that it's not accurate. It may look nice but it doesn't really tell you anything. My chart doesn't confuse me. I understand that it's not accurate and there's nothing I can do about it. I just have to wait for AF. BTW, I'm such a POAS addict that I ordered 20 IC strips even though I'm not ttc. I can't seem to stop myself.

#73 of 271 Old 08-09-2008, 11:37 PM

Hey Ladies! I am joining this thread! I just took my last BCP today (hopefully the last one ever!) and I will be CTA until early 2009. I charted this last cycle on the pill just to practice and have a cycle on hormones to compare off hormones (just for fun).

Our beautiful baby girl arrived 2/17/2010
#74 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelxxrose View Post
Hey Ladies! I am joining this thread! I just took my last BCP today (hopefully the last one ever!) and I will be CTA until early 2009. I charted this last cycle on the pill just to practice and have a cycle on hormones to compare off hormones (just for fun).

Welcome!

I hope your cycles return to normal for you quickly! Have you read TCOYF?

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#75 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 AM

#76 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 05:38 AM

Angelxxrose, I did the same thing- started charting a month before having mirena removed. Welcome!

chi_mama, every miscarriage affects your fertility in different ways. What I found was that I was ovulating earlier than usual in my cycle and had shorter (unsustainable) LPs as well, so my cycles were closer to 3 weeks overall. A similar pattern to when I first started menstruating, in fact. They grew longer over time- again, about 3 months? something like that. Have you had an u/s to confirm that the miscarriage is truly over, btw?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#77 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

OtherMother'n'Madre ~ I just remembered that you are using Ovusoft. I can understand why you'd want to use your regular time regardless of when you actually took your temp because, otherwise, the software discards the temp. You can undo that, though. All you have to do is go back and uncheck the disturbance box and the temp will stay without the X over it. That's what I do. One thing I like about FF is that you don't have to designate a time. It will figure out the most usual time for you. It's always re-evaluating it, too.

#78 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelxxrose View Post

Welcome! I hope your cycles return to normal quickly for you and you have an easy chart to read.

Marinewife - I would say it's an O then. I am also a poas addict. I bought the 40 pack of OPK and 20 pack of HPT from amazon last year.

Ok, my temp dropped this morning. I am going to say it's not on O yet. Thank goodness!!! I was sweating it for a few days there
#79 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
re: time - I don't look at the clock when I take my temp. Most of the time, I have no clue what time it was taken at and just tell FF that they were all taken at the same time unless I know it was taken especially earlier or later than the average time range. I am still able to chart fairly accurately this way.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#80 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
re: time - I don't look at the clock when I take my temp. Most of the time, I have no clue what time it was taken at and just tell FF that they were all taken at the same time unless I know it was taken especially earlier or later than the average time range. I am still able to chart fairly accurately this way.
maybe. for me, time doesn't usually make a big difference unless we're talking hours and hours past my normal temp time. an hour or two or three more sleep does nothing to my temp. an hour or so less than three hours (the rec'd amount of time you're supposed to sleep before you temp) does nothing to my temp, it's very stable. when i sleep many hours longer than usual i get a huge temp spike though, which wouldn't be considered accurate. i work shifts so i'm always temping at different times of the day and night and my chart is still extremely stable.

it depends on your body and how it reacts, everyone is different, the rule though, is that if you're not taking your temp at very close to the same time everyday, after very close to the same amount of sleep it won't necessarily be accurate. remember though that temp is only needed to confirm ovulation. if you're at the very start of your cycle or 3 or so days past a confirmed ovulation your temp isn't really relevant.
#81 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Canid ~ I think you're right. It doesn't look like O anymore. You could put that discarded temp back in, too, since it's not relevant anymore.

Welcome to all the new people.

#82 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the welcome Ladies!

I bought and read TCOYF last week and am really impressed with the book. I knew it would be great though with all of the recommendations!

I have been on the pill for a little over six years so I am preparing myself for a delay in the return of my fertility. Luckily, I had a very regular cycle before I went on the pill so hopefully my body remembers what to do!

Our beautiful baby girl arrived 2/17/2010
#83 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
OtherMother'n'Madre ~ I just remembered that you are using Ovusoft. I can understand why you'd want to use your regular time regardless of when you actually took your temp because, otherwise, the software discards the temp. You can undo that, though. All you have to do is go back and uncheck the disturbance box and the temp will stay without the X over it. That's what I do. One thing I like about FF is that you don't have to designate a time. It will figure out the most usual time for you. It's always re-evaluating it, too.

Ahh yeah I was doing that after DD1 so I was only using fertilityfriend at the time. I was able to go in keep it the same time every day though since I can get up a run around the block and my temp. is the same as if I had been laying down. I imagine it wouldn't work otherwise. I have always had to designate a time with ff though. It's been awhile since I used it correctly though so that may be why.

Give more**Expect Less
#84 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaisha View Post
remember though that temp is only needed to confirm ovulation. if you're at the very start of your cycle or 3 or so days past a confirmed ovulation your temp isn't really relevant.
I know this is supposed to be true but I cannot help but think it's crazy every time I see that! Marinewife is a perfect example. She temped until she got an o date plus a couple extra and then stopped. After a longer than normal lp she started temping again only to get a new o date! Maybe it's just my newness to it all but that just doesn't seem "safe" (especially with CTA) considering it could have been a fluke and an o date can change on you. Am I the only one who thinks like that?

Give more**Expect Less
#85 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 PM

I am pretty religious with temping. I have an alarm set and temp at the same time every day. The only time I discard a temp is if I got a really bad nights sleep and knew I was up more then sleep. I have PCOS though so tracking CM is very hard. I can only rely on temps imo.
#86 of 271 Old 08-10-2008, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
I know this is supposed to be true but I cannot help but think it's crazy every time I see that! Marinewife is a perfect example. She temped until she got an o date plus a couple extra and then stopped. After a longer than normal lp she started temping again only to get a new o date! Maybe it's just my newness to it all but that just doesn't seem "safe" (especially with CTA) considering it could have been a fluke and an o date can change on you. Am I the only one who thinks like that?
I've been charting for years and that is the first time anything like that has ever happened to me. I really think it's because of the medication I started the night before that first temp shift. For the first 2 weeks of being on the meds I felt like I was on speed during the day although it helped me sleep better at night. Now that my body is used to it and I don't feel like that anymore my temps seemed to have normalized a bit. The pre-O temps are still a bit higher than usual for me. This is also my first PP cycle and I'm still breastfeeding a lot so my hormones are probably still a little wacky.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I think normally you can rely on 3-4 high temps to confirm O and then stop temping if you know your cycles are pretty regular or at least that your temps are pretty consistent and there aren't any other reasons for the raised temps. I do think you should temp each full cycle for at least the first 3 cycles that you chart. I also don't temp during AF because my O is usually so late that temps during that time are irrelevant.

Canid ~ With PCOS I can understand why you can't rely on cm to know when you are Oing. (At any given time for any woman, though, cm only tells you if you are potentially fertile so no one can rely on cm alone to confirm O.) However, couldn't you rely on a dry up of cm along with a thermal shift to confirm O? Even if you have weeks and weeks of ewcm, once you O it should dry up, right?

#87 of 271 Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Canid ~ With PCOS I can understand why you can't rely on cm to know when you are Oing. (At any given time for any woman, though, cm only tells you if you are potentially fertile so no one can rely on cm alone to confirm O.) However, couldn't you rely on a dry up of cm along with a thermal shift to confirm O? Even if you have weeks and weeks of ewcm, once you O it should dry up, right?
It depends on the cycle. Sometimes I go to a creamy CM and sometimes it goes sticky. Sometimes it is EWCM for 7 days post O. I haven’t really detected a pattern that is reliable yet. I rely on temps more then CM because every cycle so far (before pregnancy and my last one) has a very clear thermal shift. Sometimes I think I should stop charting CM because it is more confusing then helpful Plus, I am not as great at checking CM. I tend to forget or just not record it if I don't know what it is. I never get dry days at anytime during my cycle either.

Speaking of CM…I have a question that is TMI. So some days I get big globs of CM that is opaque but really slippery like EWCM but it does not stretch at all. So, it’s slippery and has the texture of EWCM but it is white and non stretchy. What do you put this under? It’s not sticky.
#88 of 271 Old 08-11-2008, 12:15 PM

CanidFL, I call taht type of CM creamy. If you also chart vaginal sensation, it would probably fall under lubricative

MarineWife - I agree that I don't see ovulation. I know you said what kind of medicine you started taking, but I can't find it. a lot of things you wouldn't imagine would impact your fertility signs can, so I'm sure your new med has something to do with the elevated temps. my reference books are still packed, so I can't check, but I can ask a CCLI teacher I know to look it up if you want.

angelxxrose, welcome to the thread and charting. I was also on hormonal birth control for over six years and did not have any delay in my fertility returning, so be prepared! I fully expected to not ovulate for months, but my first cycle was short and I ovulated early. Your fertility signs might be hard to follow at first, as your body gets back into the groove of things.
#89 of 271 Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks for all the advie mamas
#90 of 271 Old 08-11-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It depends on the cycle. Sometimes I go to a creamy CM and sometimes it goes sticky. Sometimes it is EWCM for 7 days post O. I haven’t really detected a pattern that is reliable yet. I rely on temps more then CM because every cycle so far (before pregnancy and my last one) has a very clear thermal shift. Sometimes I think I should stop charting CM because it is more confusing then helpful Plus, I am not as great at checking CM. I tend to forget or just not record it if I don't know what it is. I never get dry days at anytime during my cycle either.
Oh, I see. That is confusing, especially with ewcm for so many days after a thermal shift.

Quote:
Speaking of CM…I have a question that is TMI. So some days I get big globs of CM that is opaque but really slippery like EWCM but it does not stretch at all. So, it’s slippery and has the texture of EWCM but it is white and non stretchy. What do you put this under? It’s not sticky.
I just read about this in TCOYF. Apparently, ewcm does not have to be stretchy. It can also be whitish. So, based on the feeling you've described and that you said it's a glob, I'd go with ewcm. It's safer to assume more fertile rather than less fertile cm.

texaspeach ~ I'm taking Zoloft, 50 mg. I did some searching myself and only found one questionable reference that said Zoloft could elevate body temperature. Nothing about basal temp, of course. TCOYF says it can cause CM to dry up but nothing about temp. I asked my therapist but she doesn't know anything about the effects of Zoloft on body temp or menstrual cycles. That would be really nice if you'd check on it for me. Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page