Charting to Avoid August Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm obsessing about my chart Why the temp spike? any why haven't I got any fertile signs yet this cycle?

This is another reason why I can't do NFP in the long run. I am way too obsessive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
I'm obsessing about my chart Why the temp spike? any why haven't I got any fertile signs yet this cycle?

This is another reason why I can't do NFP in the long run. I am way too obsessive.
I get obsessed, too. Unlike most women who seem to never want AF, I'm happy when I have it because then I don't have to think about anything for at least a few days.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I started charting in 2002 when we were ttc #2. I think I charted 2 or 3 cycles before doing ART. Then 2 cycles before getting pg with ds2. I started charting again when I got my first PP AF after ds2 but, again, we were ttc, not cta. I charted for 22 months then before getting pg with ds3.

I love it for ttc but that was so much easier (so far). I didn't pay much attention to my cm unless it was ew so, even with all that time charting, I don't really know what my BIP is. Plus, like Canid, I have longer than normal cycles so cta may be very frustrating for me if I end up with weeks of being potentially fertile. So, I'm hoping that after about 3 cycles of cta I'll get the hang of things and it won't be so stressful for me.

I'd prefer to just do nothing, not try but not prevent. DH doesn't want another child, though, so this is my compromise. I'd probably still chart even if we did things that way because my cycles are so long and irregular I'd never know when AF was due or if I was late or anything.

So, today is CD1 for me. Now I can get down to business and really try to figure this stuff out. I'm going to assume I did O on cd45 because that makes my lp similar to what it was with my first PP O cycle after ds2. I'm not putting this past cycle in my stats, though.

Thanks for your answer! I'm in cycle 6 (month 11), and LOVE it. I like it even better for long cycles because I actually have a clue what's going on for once.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have 27 total charts but only 8 that I can use in my stats.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Since I started a new cycle I just checked when my predicted next AF will be. Based on my stats, it could start sometime between Sept. 18-22. Wouldn't you know, my annual pap smear is scheduled for the 22nd. My cycles weren't regular before and they are certainly not predictable right now so I'm not sure what I should do. If I wait to see what happens and I do get AF then, I may have to wait another 2 months before I can get another appointment. It's been about 2 years since I've had one. If I change it now, there's no way for me to know I won't have AF for the new time. Aaaaargh!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:06 AM

How accurate do you think it is? Don’t they just use an average of previous cycles? I know it’s not ideal but you can still get a pap while on AF. Maybe just call and see if they have an opening a couple weeks before or after your appointment? Or book it with another doctor who has more availability?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:11 PM

I'd call and say you just realized you'd have your period at the time of the pap. my dr can do a pap during your period - she uses thin prep. They centrifuge the sample so blood cells are separated from the cervical cells. I wouldn't want to have a pap during full flow, but if you're comfortable doing that toward the end it might not matter.

I've found that even with docs that fill up fast, if you need to move an appointment over a couple of days or a week, they're pretty good about it.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it is just an average of my past cycles. That's part of my problem. Since my cycles aren't predictable at all yet I have no idea if I'll actually get AF then. I'm a new patient with this doc so it's more difficult to get an appointment since they need extra time. She's the only woman in town and I really do not feel comfortable seeing male docs. I guess if the doc doesn't care that I have AF I won't worry about it. If I end up having AF then, I'll just call ahead of time and make sure it's cool.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:05 PM

Grrr. I put in this mornings temps and tried to not adjust it since none of my other times are currently adjusted (I went and changed them all and never switched it back). The stupid software won't stop adjusting it! :

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
The stupid software won't stop adjusting it! :
You have to go to your preferences and change it from automatically adjust to either ask beforehand or never adjust.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:49 PM

I figured it out after posting. I just stuck the original temp. in there at my regular time.

I did notice that my temp. really does raise the .1 every half hour or so. That's kind of neat in a nerdy sort of way.

And because I like to tweak things I took advantage of my free vip option over at ff this morning and readjusted all my temps. It took away my crosshairs again. I really need to be better at taking them at the same time from now on. Is it so bad I jsut want af to come already? I wish I had my tea with vitex in it.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 PM

We started using NFP right after we got married five years ago. I had not been on b/c before and suddenly, my poor new husband had a very b)tchy new wife. I didn't like the idea of using chemicals to control my natural cycles anyways, and did my geeky research online and at the library. I read the official NFP book cover to cover and liked a lot of the theory/theology behind it (we're protestants and had only heard that Catholics don't use b/c - not that they work with their bodies like NFP explained!) So we did that until a blizzard snowed us in and we had nothing else to do ... and we made our Jonathan! :

While I was anovulatory, I discovered Mothering and found the TCOYF book and really enjoyed its more "liberal" approach (I felt guilty using barriers after reading The Art of NFP). So we followed those rules until we ran out of condoms two Christmases ago... : Hannah!

Even though our kids haven't exactly been "planned" (except for the 3 minutes before when I said "we could get pregnant" and he said "great!"), the two times that I was sure we were doing it during a fertile time, we got pregnant! No problems there, like many of our other friends. Also, we really like the fact that all my mood swings are my own () and I'm not having to bother with having nasty chemicals in my system. Also, the fact that I'm in tune with my body helps me know the what and why of my cycle. I FAM!!!

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 PM

Thanks for sharing that story!

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Still figuring this whole charting thing out...it says I O'd super early but I think I am just O'ing. So I dunno We are using condoms for now until I figure it out better!! I'm glad we have this thread though, I am learning a lot!

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
Old 08-16-2008, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

That is a really early O, Erika, although not unheard of. Do you have pretty regular, short cycles? I would say based on the temps you have in there not before cd10. Do you remember what your cm was like those first few days?

Old 08-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Is a short luteal phase anything to be worried about from a cta standpoint? The first day of my temp shift to the first day of AF amounted to only 10 days. How would this affect charting and interpreting my fertility signs?

thanks, amanda
Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
That is a really early O, Erika, although not unheard of. Do you have pretty regular, short cycles? I would say based on the temps you have in there not before cd10. Do you remember what your cm was like those first few days?
Well, since I am nursing (a LOT!) my cycles are pretty irregular. I had my first AF about three months ago, then had a 32 day cycle and then my last cycle was 43 days (I think) so I guess it's normal for me to have short and long cycles for now! Where it showed that I O'd, I didn't have any cm during those days. The past three days it went from creamy to slippery and tonight it seems to be drying up so it leads me to believe that I O'd yesterday or something? It definitely keeps me from using charting as our sole source of protection, being that my cycles just started and I haven't really figured it out completely. But I am having fun learning! Wonder how long it'll be before I can just chart and can toss those nasty condoms...

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
Old 08-17-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidshappymamma View Post
Is a short luteal phase anything to be worried about from a cta standpoint? The first day of my temp shift to the first day of AF amounted to only 10 days. How would this affect charting and interpreting my fertility signs?
I don't think this is a problem wrt to cta. A short lp can be a problem if you are ttc because it may not be able to sustain the lining long enough for an embryo to implant and start growing. Also, 10 days is considered borderline for ttc purposes. It could be ok or it could be a problem. For just charting, it's not a problem at all since it just tells you how long your lp is.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:33 AM

Indimamma - welcome and thanks for the story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife1219 View Post
Still figuring this whole charting thing out...it says I O'd super early but I think I am just O'ing. So I dunno We are using condoms for now until I figure it out better!! I'm glad we have this thread though, I am learning a lot!
Your chart does not show a clear O right now when I look at it. Maybe you did just O but a couple days will tell

Quote:

thanks, amanda
For CTA it is not a problem. It just means you have fewer safe days after O which is a pain for some that use condoms as a back up. For example if you had a 14 day LP then you would get 10 or 11 safe days depending on your peak day. If you have a 10 day LP, you could get 6 or 7 safe days.

So my temps are dropping now. Looks like my body is getting ready to O. I still haven't got any EWCM
Old 08-17-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:

thanks, amanda
I don't think its anything to worry about when you are CTA - and even when you are TTC again, it might not be a worry. My luteal phases have always been about 10 or 11 days long and we had no problem avoiding or conceiving. HTH!

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I was reading TCOYF again today. Checking out the info on the different forms of birth control. I guess, technically, we are not using NFP/FAM since we plan on using withdrawal during our fertile period. Although, I'm getting the feeling after that little scare I gave my dh about being pg that he may never touch me again.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I was reading TCOYF again today. Checking out the info on the different forms of birth control. I guess, technically, we are not using NFP/FAM since we plan on using withdrawal during our fertile period. Although, I'm getting the feeling after that little scare I gave my dh about being pg that he may never touch me again.
NFP peans you abstain during to your fertile period, FAM means you use another means of BC.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
NFP peans you abstain during to your fertile period, FAM means you use another means of BC.
Not according to Toni Weschler. She puts NFP as a sort of subset of FAM. The difference being, as you said, NFP practicers abstain during the fertile period while those who do non-NFP FAM use a barrier method. She has withdrawal as a separate method. She also says that she thinks taking chances with anything other than abstinence or a barrier method during the fertile period is essentially not following FAM. That's why I said that, technically, we aren't using FAM since we plan to use withdrawal during our fertile period. That's not really following the contraceptive rules of FAM. I'm just being very technical because I thought it was funny to read that.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Not according to Toni Weschler. She puts NFP as a sort of subset of FAM. The difference being, as you said, NFP practicers abstain during the fertile period while those who do non-NFP FAM use a barrier method. She has withdrawal as a separate method. She also says that she thinks taking chances with anything other than abstinence or a barrier method during the fertile period is essentially not following FAM. That's why I said that, technically, we aren't using FAM since we plan to use withdrawal during our fertile period. That's not really following the contraceptive rules of FAM. I'm just being very technical because I thought it was funny to read that.
I don’t think many people use true NFP I mean who can abstain during the days when you want it the most. On those days you would have to look me in a room to abstain : I do remember her saying that for it to truly be 99% or whatever reliable you have to abstain because if you use a condom or pull out then the failure rate is going to be high because it will always fail during the fertile time. I still decided condoms were our best bet.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 PM

Hi all, I'm so glad to have found a place to discuss charting to avoid! I've been lurking here since I started charting in June. I've read TCOYF and consider myself to be practicing FAM since our backup method is condoms. This is the first month that my O date is a little ambiguous. I manually set the coverline and O date on day 14. If I set FF to Advanced mode, it gives me dotted crosshairs with O on day 13. If I set it to FAM mode, it doesn't give crosshairs yet because of my freaky low temp yesterday. Can anyone take a look at my chart and offer advice? I wasn't too conservative with avoiding or using backup on CD 11 but I feel like we were in the clear on CD 16.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 PM

I would say CD 17 you were in the clear. That was 3 days over the cover line and 4 days past the Peak day. It is weird that the one temp dropped so low after O. I would be worried about an implantation dip if I were a few days later but it’s too early for that I think. It will be interesting to see what happens the next couple days with your temps.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...Sundaygirl, I think it's kind of close to call. To be as conservative as possible, I'd be inclined to put your CL at 97.8, which makes it look like you didn't O until possibly cd18. Remember that you don't have to have fertile cm to O. Only temps can confirm O. Tracking cm helps you pinpoint your peak day and when you are potentially fertile. You can O and have a thermal shift several days after your peak day. Conversely, some women have fertile cm for a few days after O. OTOH, if you discard the higher temp on cd8, you could maybe put your CL at 97.4, in which case O would've been cd13 and the low temp on cd18 is still at or above your CL. Either way, if you dtd without protection on the days you have marked, you could have a problem. Oh, and if O was cd13, that temp dip on cd18 could very well be an implant dip since implantation can occur anywhere from 5-12dpo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL
I don’t think many people use true NFP I mean who can abstain during the days when you want it the most. On those days you would have to look me in a room to abstain I do remember her saying that for it to truly be 99% or whatever reliable you have to abstain because if you use a condom or pull out then the failure rate is going to be high because it will always fail during the fertile time. I still decided condoms were our best bet.
Yeah, I think what she means by the condoms failing during your fertile time is that either that's the only time you would use them or you'd only know it failed if you got pg, which would have to happen during your fertile time. She also says that if you use a barrier method during your fertile time, your risk is only as good as the risk for that particular barrier method. She does recommend condoms as being the most effective barrier method.

As far as abstaining, it's probably a lot easier to do if you have short, regular cycles with obvious fertile times. Then you'd only have to abstain for a week at the most. With PCOS, if you were going to abstain, you might as well become celebate because of all of the potentially fertile days. :

Old 08-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
OTOH, if you discard the higher temp on cd8, you could maybe put your CL at 97.4, in which case O would've been cd13 and the low temp on cd18 is still at or above your CL. Either way, if you dtd without protection on the days you have marked, you could have a problem. Oh, and if O was cd13, that temp dip on cd18 could very well be an implant dip since implantation can occur anywhere from 5-12dpo.

oh I didn't even see that. Did you DTD unprotected on CD 11? That could be an implantation dip....
Old 08-18-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
oh I didn't even see that. Did you DTD unprotected on CD 11? That could be an implantation dip....
*gulp* yes, twice. mid-afternoon and late night. I don't record protected sex on FF, just on the paper chart I also keep.

I manually put my O on CD 14 because I had sharp, one-sided pain that lasted about an hour (mittelschmerz?) very like the pain I had last cycle on CD 14 - the day that FF declared as my O day last cycle. I know that mittelschmerz can happen before, during or after O - but do you know if it's consistent from month to month as to when in the cycle you feel it?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Well if you O'd CD 13 or 14, you are at risk for pregnancy since you DTD CD 11. If you didn't O till CD 18 you are still at risk since you DTD on CD 16..... I would take a pregnancy test and keep your fingers crossed if you don't want a pregnancy right now.

:

ETA: I don't know much about O pain. I never get it.

User Tag List