which month/s would you prefer to give birth in? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
which month/s would you prefer to give birth in?

and why?

(obviously you can plan it but it's not all that likely to happen exactly when you would prefer it to, im just curious which month or monthS you would prefer to give birth in, and why?)

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 03:27 PM

We are going to TTC our next child so I would give birth in Sept-Jan and skipping December So when we TTC this winter, we are going to go stop using protection in December, January, February, and late April

A couple reasons…..

1. My work requires that you use all of your vacation/sick time before you get STD. I do not want to give birth in March then return to work in June with absolutely no vacation/sick time. If I am due in Jan, then I will start mat leave around Christmas and that way it won’t refresh till I get back in March.

2. I want my baby to be at least 6 months old by June. We live in a very hot climate and I could not imagine not going to the pool in the summer.

Those are my 2 reasons. Oh and I want to skip December because I feel like it’s too close to everything like Thanksgiving, Christmas then New Years.
#3 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 PM

I liked being pregnant in the summer vs. the winter. Everyone told me I was going to hate being pregnant in the summer, but I really didn't mind. I had a friend who delivered in March, and it was miserable for her. Trying to find a coat to fit, having to wear Crocs in the snow because her feet were swollen and no boots would fit, worrying constantly about slipping on ice... no thanks! (Now watch, #2 will be due in March! )

I think it really depends on the climate where you live. Summer is nice here, but short! Winter is long and hard.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#4 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Mine were born in late Sept and mid-Nov. It was good timing. The summers were hot pregnant, but that's what AC is for. :LOL: For the Sept baby, it was still nice enough to go outside some before we cooped up for the long winter. My favorite part for both was that I got to hide my postpartum body under baggy pants, layers, big sweaters for a good number of months while I lost the baby weight. I can't imagine having a baby in spring or mid-summer and then having to appear in public in tank tops and swimsuits. I also liked not having to worry about heat & sun & sunscreen & baby getting too hot, the fall months are so snuggly for baby wearing and co sleeping and just cuddling and nursing.
The downside for both was being fat for Christmas pictures. How vain is that? :LOL: And for the November baby, the holidays came quite quickly after he was born.
#5 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 PM

My DD was born in Sept and I LOVED being pg in the summer. Everyone also told me I would hate it, but I love summer. It was fabulous, I wore my bikini when I was 7 months and I could have cared less. I like that my DD was a *little* older when the winter came and it also was a great excuse to not go anywhere having a 3 month old and driving in the snow.

I also had a friend who had her son in early April and she couldn't find a coat for the winter, and when her son was a little baby she couldn't go to the beach or do anything because he was so small all summer. By the time summer rolled around again, I had lost a bunch of my fat rolls and my DD was big enough to enjoy the beach.

I totally would like to have another Sept or Oct babe, I think that's the perfect time for us.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#6 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
December - March, because I'd like DC to not be too close to the age cut-off when they get to school. I'd like to not have to make the choice for them to be the youngest or oldest in the class.

Also, in our area A/C is relatively uncommon. We've never had it here. But it can get pretty hot for a week or two in the summer -- I'd like to avoid having a swaddled baby in June-August. With DD, we had to stop swaddling abruptly because we had a heat wave, but fortunately she was 5mo at the time and it worked out fine. I'd not like to have a 1-3 month old.

Of course, we're TTC next month, which would run all over those preferences. Oh, well.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#7 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 06:08 PM

April-August. I would really like to have the next one in May or June. I didn't mind being pg in the summer. Being able to go swimming and having AC mean it's not that big of a deal. I loved being able to swim. I like that the baby would be at least 3-4 months before the big winter holidays. And by the next summer, he/she would be at the age I really like - 1 year.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#8 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 PM

I would really love to have a spring baby, April-June. I think thas just lovely

If not, a fall baby September-November (i love the idea that me AND my baby would share birthday seasons and the baby being part of the harvest lol).

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#9 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 PM

May was fantastic -- weather was nice and warm, but not too hot. We could get out and go for walks, etc.
#10 of 45 Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 AM

I would like to give birth in April or May. DS was born in July, was very very very hot. We live in Minnesota and don't want to give birth in the winter. I was born in January in a blizzard.
#11 of 45 Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 AM

Spring or Fall. Nothing in between, if I can help it.
#12 of 45 Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 AM

April was a great month to give birth in... July was the worst (probably because I was three weeks over due).

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#13 of 45 Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 AM

I'd say being Due in October is great!
#14 of 45 Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 AM

DS was born in September and I DID NOT enjoy being pregnant during the hot humid months of summer in NY. I had a good pregnancy with him but it was so draining on me. I did not like spending all winter inside with him and not being able to get out and do much with 10 feet of snow outside. This next baby will be a May baby if our timing works out, that would be my dream pregnancy. We will be in the south so no super cold, snowy winters to deal with.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#15 of 45 Old 08-12-2008, 08:51 PM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#16 of 45 Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 PM

i think it'd be nice to have a baby in the summer like the end of June - I love to be able to lay out in my swimsuit and get some sun...that does a lot for my mood and here in Ca. the days start getting really nice in March so I would have plenty of outside time before babe arrived.

always :
- baby boy arrived in Oct 2009!
#17 of 45 Old 08-13-2008, 09:31 PM

May is perfect. You don't have to deal with being uncomfortably hot while hugely pregnant. It's warm enough to take the baby outside from the beginning. It's a few months away from cold & flu season.

July wasn't too bad, either. The last month or 6 weeks was brutal heatwise but that's all I can really complain about.

I'm nervous about having an October babe. DD is starting kinder and it'll be chilly and the beginning of cold & flu season. I'm afraid I'll feel house bound.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#18 of 45 Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM

April to June! I'm a teacher so June really would be perfect for me because then I get the usual 50 weeks of mat leave (I'm in Canada) plus the summer months. Of course, I won't get money for the summer months, but I'm sure we can plan for that and it would be so nice to have those extra two months. Plus if the baby is fussy in the evening we can just go out for a walk. My daughter was never super fussy, but even so we wished we could just go for a walk in the evening instead of bouncing in the living room. Unfortunately it's dark and rainy after 3:30 in November and December in Vancouver and walking would have even more miserable.

I think the ideal month to have a baby depends a lot on climate and job situation. At least for me
#19 of 45 Old 08-14-2008, 03:05 PM

I thought I would chime in on this one since it's a topic in my house right now.

I would really love to have a spring/summer baby... would probably prefer a baby in May/June mainly because I would like to have my maternity leave fall in conjunction with my kids summer vacation. If it were not for that, I think April would be a great month as well.

This has been a conversation in my house because my DH doesn't understand why it matters when we start trying and timing a due date. He says you can't guarantee it will happen in a particular month anyway, which he's right.. but I can try!! LOL!!

I have a fall and winter baby... I do not want another December baby - and because the holidays fall right in line with both of their birthdays, it often feels like we are celebrating one thing after the other and it's quite expensive!! I always thought a spring baby would be great - nice enough to go out for a walk and not too hot.

Now if my DH and I can just agree so that we can start trying - I am running out of time to try for that May/June baby! LOL!!
#20 of 45 Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 AM

I think I'd go for anytime exept for winter. I'm in Texas and DS 1 was born in August and I had no problems being big in the hot summer. Comfy tanks and shorts/skirts. Then he got to be in a diaper/onesie all the time. DS 2 was born in the winter and I HATED bundling up over my hugeness. Then having to bundle up the babe. Plus I get depressed in the winter with the chronic lack of sunshine. I'd be happy being due between May and October!
#21 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Well I can tell you a month I would NOT like to have a baby in. September. I've done it twice and it's awful. Being huge and in the 3rd trimester in the middle of summer and all that heat is misery.

If I could choose an exact month to give birth in I'd probably choose January-April

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
#22 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 04:19 PM

I've had a January baby, an October baby, and am now due in April. I'm working my way through all the seasons. January was fine for DD1, I just had one child, we stayed home a lot, so bundling her up for the CO winter wasn't an huge issue. What has become an issue, the older she has gotten though is B-Day parties. Her B-Day is Jan 7th, so pretty close to the holiday season, people tend to be partied out and also factoring in that we get a lot of snow in January. Last year NO ONE showed up for her 5th B-Day party, I don't even think we are going to bother trying this year.

DD2 was born a week before Halloween, I loved, loved being pg in the fall. What I did not like was having a baby at the start of cold season, I think the first time she wasn't sick was when she was 7 months old and it was summer time.

I'm looking forward to an April baby, warmer weather, hopefully most of the illness will be over by then, I can hope anyway!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#23 of 45 Old 08-17-2008, 11:43 PM

Well, coming from the perspective of a kindergarten teacher, I would prefer to give birth in the spring so that my DC doesn't end up on the "bubble" of making the age requirement for kindergarten. DS is a September baby and here in Oregon he won't be able to go to kindy until he is almost 6, even if he is "ready" the year before. I know other states have different cut-offs, but I'm really bummed that this is coming down the road for us. If he is ready when he turns 5 I'll of course home school him that year. Maybe we won't even do public school. But having a spring birthday would make things a lot less problematic where this topic is concerned.

All that said, we had a pretty had time TTC DS, so I'd happily take another September baby any old day if we are blessed enough to have another baby someday.
#24 of 45 Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM

we are trying to conceive starting in a few weeks and have chosen this time for two reasons. . .
1) Its our first anniversary in a few weeks and we wanted to wait til we were married a year til we try for a baby
2) Because I am planning a home birth with a midwife and we live 2 hours away from my midwife and we live in Southern Indiana and gets snow in the winter and we didnt want to risk our midwife getting snowed in 2 hours away from us! So If I get pregnant right away I will be due in June sometime.
#25 of 45 Old 08-30-2008, 03:09 PM

I'd prefer to give birth in the spring March-June. Partially because my dh is a teacher and therefore he'd have time at home with the new babe too. Plus I didn't really enjoy being pregnant in the hot summer with no AC, DD1 was born the end of July. We're actually ttc now and will through next month. If we don't get pregnant, we're going to prevent until next spring because we're moving next summer. We moved two weeks after dd1 was born and I will NEVER do that again.
#26 of 45 Old 08-31-2008, 04:59 AM

I'm shooting for Jan-March of 2010. I would be fine with anytime October to April, really...just not May-September as it is about 115 degrees that entire time.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#27 of 45 Old 08-31-2008, 06:11 AM

June through September are what we're gunning for when TTC #2. I would not want to be 8 or 9 months pregnant in the winter....

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#28 of 45 Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 AM

May. I don't know why though! But if we want May, we'd better conceive our fourth this Friday (when I should O) to make a May 29th EDD. LOL.

I had an end of August EDD with my DD. Oh my, summer time heat and that pregnant? Ugh!
#29 of 45 Old 09-01-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonBookworm View Post
June through September are what we're gunning for when TTC #2. I would not want to be 8 or 9 months pregnant in the winter....
Hehe we have the opposite problem....winter here is gorgeous...60 ish and sunny during the day and rarely freezes at night.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#30 of 45 Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 AM

We have two winter babes and a spring. I loved all 3 of the timings, actually. There are goods and bads, though. Our first is Feb. and actually everything was perfect about the timing of that pg -- because we live in the south and there was very little snow and cold to deal with. My 2nd was due in Nov. born in early Dec. and I really loved that because there was no cold to deal with like with the first (Jan can get snowy and cold here) so I could wear flip-flops, etc. and it was still pretty warm here through Nov. that year. May was great for weather -- no hot summer to deal with but, with one child in school, it didn't help that he was out of school all summer and I basically had a newborn and 2 small children at home.

For me, it depends on what area of the country you live in. If I moved back north I would LOVE a Fall baby (Sept/Oct) because I wouldn't be dealing with being huge during a very humid hot summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page