Birth control? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 11-03-2003, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right forum but hopefully you all can help.

What method of birth control do you use? Dh and I aren't sure what we should do about it. I was hoping he would get a vasectomy, but we feel that it may be too soon for something so permanent. I'm 23, he's 25, we have 2 kids. I'm *almost* positive I don't want any more but we are still young.

If any of you have had an IUD, how was it? Any complications? I'm considering getting one but want to hear what other women think about it.

TIA!

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#2 of 35 Old 11-03-2003, 09:25 PM

I am pg with #2 and this is probably our last baby. However, I don't want to do anything final just yet. I did a lot of research into birth control methods because I am slightly allergic to latex and spermicides, and react strongly to bcp in a bad way. I also have irregular periods and don't want to risk FAM.

I have decided to try the new Mirena IUD. I don't like the idea of an IUD but it has the highest success rate among all forms of birth control as long as it's used properly. You have to check for the string after each period and knowing me I'll check more often than that. It has way less hormones than taking the pill, and it can easily be removed if we were to want another child in the future. It also lasts, I think, for 10 years. Our insurance doesn't cover it but it will still be cheaper than birth control pills over the course of 5-10 years.

I'm going to be 30 next spring and will probably do something permanent at age 35 becuase by then we'll know for sure that we are done.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 35 Old 11-03-2003, 09:28 PM

Edited to stay on topic :LOL

I use the NuvaRing and will do so for the same reasons. We're just not ready for "the snip" yet.
#4 of 35 Old 11-03-2003, 09:47 PM

Just for info, Mirena last for 5 years and Paraguard lasts for 10.
#5 of 35 Old 11-04-2003, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 30-year-old friend who has no children. He got divorced and decided he didn't want to give up casual sex so he banked sperm and then got a vas. When he remarries his new wife can then be inseminated. It's only costing him $20 a year.

That could be an option...
#6 of 35 Old 11-04-2003, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had the Paragard IUD (no hormones) and loved it. I didn't feel the insertion or removal, despite being terrified before each procedure. It was simple.

I had no extra cramping other than the first couple periods after ds was born... I never knew if it was from the iud or just being 3 mos post partum, but I took a midol once or twice during the whole week and was fine.

DH would occasionally feel the string during sex and worried that it'd go up his urethra, but it never happened (the monofilament string hangs out of the cervix for an inch or 2). It never made him not want sex, that's for sure!
:LOL

I highly recommend it.... I'd do it again if we don't get snipped!
#7 of 35 Old 11-04-2003, 12:41 PM

i use vcf contraceptive film. I like it because it doesn't burn like the other spermicides i've used. But we'll see how effective it is. I think i'm pregnant.........so scratch that idea.
#8 of 35 Old 11-04-2003, 01:16 PM

sorry, having to remove all posts with personal info due to an online stalker.
#9 of 35 Old 11-04-2003, 01:24 PM

We use NFP w/condom back-up. I like it because there is no worry about missing a pill or side effects.
#10 of 35 Old 11-04-2003, 09:07 PM

I would NOT recommend vcf contraceptive film as I'm now pg w/#3 and was using that absolutely correctly as our birth control. We were undecided whether to stop at 2 or have a 3rd, and now our decision has been made. I was very shocked and surprised at the positive hpt.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#11 of 35 Old 11-04-2003, 09:27 PM

I *had* a copper IUD. Had extremely painful cramping and heavier bleeding... Then, one day, I got pg... IUD not there... OB says it probably came out during a period, and since I didn't always check, well, there ya go....

Oh, well, such is my life... We're both getting tied and snipped after this babe is born!!!
#12 of 35 Old 11-04-2003, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beowmeow
I'm *almost* positive I don't want any more but we are still young.
Then I would stay away from a tubal or vasectomy. Unless you are 100% sure, don't do it.

Have you thought about NFP?
#13 of 35 Old 11-06-2003, 11:49 PM

Condoms (and a 21 mos son-great birth control! LOL!)
#14 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 12:31 AM

Nursing! It didn't get my fertility back until 16 months after I delivered with my first son.
We plan to use Natural Family Planning, but want a large family, so its not a huge issue either way.
#15 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 12:52 AM

We use condoms. We were using FAM and condoms when we got pg with our DD, so we are now using condoms all the time. We're pretty sure our DD is going to be an only child, but definitely not sure enough to get snipped or do anything permanent. And I can't do hormonal BC at all, so condoms are the easiest answer for us. Plus - no mess. :LOL

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#16 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mom2katie
so condoms are the easiest answer for us. Plus - no mess. :LOL
:LOL Actually, even though my husband had a vasectomy we use condoms for this reason too.
#17 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 12:52 PM

Dh got snipped after ds was born- he's over 40, I'm turning 40 next month and we felt two kids was the right amount for our family and at our ages- I had my last at 38 and had two great home births and two healthy kids- so we decided to quit while we were ahead LOL

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#18 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 12:59 PM

I plan on getting a cervical cap, but right now we're using a combination of VCF and condoms.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#19 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 01:18 PM

We use Natural Family Planning.

We were considering a vasectomy, as well. But, I researched it, and I would NOT recommend it.

Check this out: men's thoughts on their vasectomies
#20 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 03:07 PM

I plan on getting a cervical cap as well. Right now we use condoms.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#21 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 03:10 PM

Copper 'T' IUD here, no hormones, not sure of the brand (hafta check). It's only good for 2 years which is right around our projected TTC date anyhow. Some bleeding and cramping upon insertion at 5 mos PP, but no prob's since. Ds was concieved during condom/spermicide use . It's nice that it's something that I don't have to remember to take or do. So far, so good! Ds is almost 15 mos....

I have a friend who's friend's babe was born with her IUD clenched in his fist . Goes to show you that NOTHING is infallible.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#22 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Banned

I've used the pill, condoms, diaphragm, and now we're happy with nursing (no AF for at least 13 months) and natural family planning when AF returns. I like NFP because I feel more in tune with my body, kwim? But it's easy for me to say because my cycles are fairly regular. But I have heard it's helpful for women who's cycles are irregular because they get more warning when AF will be around (they're more in-tune). But I imagine it's a harder learning curve for them.

My biological mom got a really bad infection because of the IUD (of course this was 20 years ago) and couldn't have anymore kids because of it. (this can be looked at as a good thing actually : )

DH will never be snipped if I have my say because if I die tomorrow he may meet someone else who wants more kids. And the same for me if he were to go first.

HITH!
#23 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 03:52 PM

i am on the depo shot

the first 3 months of it i had weird side effects (nothing major), but after the first 3 months it has been totally great. no real side effects (other than no period--which im not complaining).

depo does also tend to make me more hungry than usual, so it is a little harder to resist eating, and i think a lot of women gain a lot of weight from it because of that. if you watch what you eat LIKE NORMALLY then you are fine, but you have to not give in to the "depo cravings".

anyhow, i like it ok. and no babies from it. which is more than i can say for other things i have tried.
#24 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 04:10 PM

Well for the past 10 years I have practiced NFP (charting, checking mucus, temp, used to check cervix dilation w/ speculum and mirror, and w/in past 2 yrs used a saliva tester/fertility indicator).
Both my pregnancies occurred using NFP.
I currently strongly believe I am one of those who ovulate more than once a month.
We are not planning to have more children.
There is no way I would ever use any hormone pills, shots, or any chemical barriers, spermicides, sponges, etc... dh hates condoms, I am not confident about diaghrams, definately would never do an IUD...
and now am feeling iffy about NFP for myself...
so, although I am aware of the concerns and possible risks of tubal ligation, I am seriously considering having it done after baby#2 arrives.
#25 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 07:19 PM

Quote:
there is no way I would ever use any hormone pills, shots, or any chemical barriers, spermicides, sponges, etc... dh hates condoms, I am not confident about diaghrams, definately would never do an IUD...
I feel the same way. I'm morally opposed to an IUD and my body is biologically opposed to hormonal forms of birth control. DH hates anything that interferes with the moment (VCF, condoms, diaphragm, etc). I don't do very well with NFP or FAM because during the time when I'm ovulating, I really do *want* another baby. Two days later, I'm thinking "WHAT?! I don't WANT A BABY RIGHT NOW!!" but during that fertile period, I'm essentially in heat. It's CRAZY! That's why I've decided on the cervical cap.

The cervical cap is like an extended wear contact lens for your cervix. It fits on your cervix using the same suction concept as contact lenses, so there isn't any concern about your muscles being strong enough to hold it (or not). The cap itself is made of a soft rubber-ish material and 99% of sexual partners say they can't feel it during intercourse because it is flesh-like enough that it's imperceptible. You can use a small amount of spermicide inside the cap, put it in, and leave it in for two to three days. There is no need to remove it after intercourse or to add more spermicide before a second act of intercourse. If you're sensitive to spermicide, you can use it without, though you are going to sacrifice some of the effectiveness. When you take it out, you wash it with soap and water and soak in a mild vinegar solution to disinfect it and remove protein deposits. Check for any holes (in which case you need a new one), put some spermicide in it and re-insert it.

With a cervical cap you do need to have a pap every 6 months to make sure that it's still fitting properly and not causing irritation to the cervix. I haven't used one yet, but really think that it's the answer to my birth control woes. I sure hope so!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#26 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 07:46 PM

We use billings, and the occasional latex free condom. On cervical fluid alone we have prevented pregnancy for 8 mo. dd is 18 mo, got af at 11mo. We dont like condoms, so we tend to abstain when im fertile. I LOVE knowing whats going on with mybody. And ive has some crazy wacked out cycles where if i wasnt keeping track, i would have thought for sure i was preggo, or something was wrong. but, i knew what was happening, and i love it.
#27 of 35 Old 11-07-2003, 09:13 PM

I had the copper IUD and loved it but my body, cursed of all birth control, didn't. It fell out into my Keeper during an excessively heavy period with major cramping and clotting. I'm pretty sure I miscarried.

We actually were not planning on having children, Ian was quite a surprise, so DH got snipped. At the ripe old age of 29. I asked him repeatedly to make sure he was ready for it, to consider that something could happen to me or our relationship and he might one day be in the position to remarry and she might want children. His response was that if she wants children she would not be right for him.

And as an aside, we saw Kevin Hauber's site between DH's initial consultation with his urologist and the snip. DH received an extensive packet of information about potential side effects leading us to believe some of what Hauber writes about certainly is possible. However, we both found this paragraph telling:
Quote:
By now you have probably asked yourself, ìHow can this guy be saying all this? After all, he doesnít have ëDr.í in front of his name.î Actually, I have lived the nightmare of chronic pain and autoimmune reactions since my own vasectomy in August of 1999. Twelve surgeries and nerve blocks, and well over a hundred medications and therapies that I have pursued in the interim have not resolved the pain I experience on a daily basis. Other men have told of similar experiences for even longer durations. Many men are reluctant to discuss this issue due to its highly personal nature
#28 of 35 Old 11-08-2003, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by USAmma
.... You have to check for the string after each period and knowing me I'll check more often than that. ...

Darshani
The problem with the old IUDs and all IUDs is the infection rate.

One of the ways the infection is introduced into the pelvic cavity is through the string...it acts as a wick for germs and bacteria to invade the uterus and the pelvic cavity, which is the old problem with the IUD thereby causing infection and scar tissue.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#29 of 35 Old 11-08-2003, 09:24 AM

This is from http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr07.htm

Quote:
In most instances it has been shown that infection rates are not
increased with long term use and there are definite benefits to using a contraceptive that
does not have unwanted hormonal effects. Thus the IUCD has been given a bad but
undeserved reputation and it is really worth looking at as a method of contraception for
many women.

The strings they now use (microfilament polyethylene) are very safe and anti-bacterial. But, the risk IS still there. You just have to weigh your options: hormonal vs. mechanical vs. barrier vs. chemical vs. PREGNANCY

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#30 of 35 Old 11-08-2003, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am also birth control challenged. My body does not like hormones or spermicide (Isn't amazing how our bodies have a natural disdain for anything trying to prevent procreation!)
I had an IUD when dh and I were dating but my GYN did not listen to my history and put in a progestasert instead of the non-hormone copper iud i requested. I was a wreck (Way worse than normal cramping, clots, super heavy flow, and emotionally a mess) for several months before I finally had it taken out (I switched GYNs) and found out it was a progestasert. So i don't know how much was iud and how much was hormones, but it was bad enough for me that i will not do it again no matter what kind.
We use condoms and abstain during ovulation, but that's how we got # 2 when I ovulated super early with no warning (my cycles are typically VERY regular). We don't want any more kids right now, but i am concerned about anything permanent beacause of dangers and our age ( i am 25 and dh is 30). Whether the info on the net is true or not, it is something i had thought about before - it makes sense.
Barrier methods are about our only option - i am leary of nfp after last time.
So that is my story - probably of no help (other than check the pkg before your doc puts in the iud)

Larissa, mom to my 3 girls (07/10), (05/02), and (09/98)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page