ok everyone, tell me what you know about the IUD - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 11-16-2003, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to follow up Amy's post with a comment about the Mirena (the one I have now).

I got it a couple weeks ago and so far the side-effects have been a couple. For one, I was due for my period nearly to the day that I got it put in. So with the spotting from insertion then my actual period (which was fine) I bleed about a week. But now its been two weeks and still bleeding. Its not heavy, but its bright red. The insert says this can happen for the first 3 months. So its not a HUGE deal, but still a side effect.

Second, I definitely can tell there is progesterone in there. It makes me a bit hot sometimes, but not too bad. And my appetite seems to be up a little bit. Maybe a bit of a headache now and then. Just sort like PMS or very early pregnancy kind of things. So yes- the insert says its "very low levels" of the stuff, but I don't know what they are comparing to because I can tell its in there. I probably should've gotten the Paraguard again, instead of Mirena, but I figured the progesterone would lesson the bleeding during my periods. I guess if that happens that's AFTER the first three months.

Third, its making me queezy. Its not a HUGE deal, but I may switch to the copperT even so. I don't like the idea of feeling pregnant when my pupose is to NOT ever get that way again!

I'll keep anybody updated that wants to know. Otherwise, I still am glad I got it. MUCH better than getting pregnant!
#32 of 34 Old 12-03-2003, 11:44 PM

I had the Mirena IUD installed last March. At the time my youngest was eleven months old and I hadn't had a period yet. For the fiirst three months I spotted every day. Then it stopped and I got my first period on October 30. It was heavy for a week, then I spotted for almost three weeks. Then I got another period on November 30! So basically I've been bleeding now for over a month straight and right now it is heavier than my normal periods. It is supposed to make your periods lighter and shorter, but it's having the opposite effect on me. I'm getting it removed next week.
#33 of 34 Old 12-03-2003, 11:50 PM

Another update.

I talked with my OB and she said to up my protein intake and to take a B-complex vitamin to help with the nausea. That has worked very well! And the spotting is gone mostly. I'm supposed to get my period soon and it feels like it should start, but we shall see. I'm not going to worry if it doesn't, since I know that the progesterone can keep it away.
#34 of 34 Old 12-04-2003, 04:20 PM

This is my second Mirena....my first one I had in for almost a year then we decided to ttc. I got pregnant the first month (granted I also have 2 suprises from using birth control pills so getting pregnant was never a problem to begin with). When I asked my doctor about the way it works she said there wasn't a 100% reason that it was several reasons combined. She cited some research that showed extremely low to zero sperm in the fallopian tubes of women with IUD's in after intercourse. I haven't noticed any difference in the way I feel with the hormone in the mirena...it's supposed to be a very little amount that does not make it into the blood stream (though I am going from memory here so that may not be 100% correct). Anyway I have had this one in for 7 months and just have spotting for about 5-7 days once a month. Since I don't do well with pills, depo (I wish it had never been developed), or natural planning (my thyroid fluctuates so I ovulate different times every month making it hard to stop in any decent length of time). I refuse to do permanent anything on me or my hubby so it's what's working for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page