Evil birth control - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm BF, so my OB put me on a prog-only pill, and I started having horrible side effects to it so had to stop. So, I'm terrified of having sex because I got pre-e after labor and had a bad case of it. I'm also still not getting excited enough...so needless to say, we aren't doing anything....any advice? I wanna get back to the way things used to be sex-wise. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 11:07 PM
JMJ

You might look into some NFP or FAM methods. "The Art of Natural Family Planning" or "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" are considered to be two of the best sources out there. Both are very good at helping you avoid pregnancy or achieve it if you so desire. I'm more familiar with "The Art of NFP" which has some very good advice for how to be the most careful when you really can't have another kid right now for very serious reasons. It requires more abstinence, but you can know when there's really no chance of you getting pregnant. Moreover, there's no chemicals and no side effects. I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.
#3 of 8 Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 PM

How old is you LO? I agree that trying to do FAM is a good idea. Sex drive is weird thing after a baby, especially when you are a nursing mother, plus being afraid to have sex also doesn't help. I found for me my sex drive didn't really come back until my hormones balanced back out after Dd's birth, and I also had to start taking fish oil supplements to help me.

I guess what I'm saying is it may not be the same for awhile, things are different in your life whether you realize it or not. For me when I was nursing half the time I felt "touched out" and we didn't do anything for awhile. That unfortunately is the reality for some couples who have a new baby.

You should look into those books though, they will help you a lot.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#4 of 8 Old 09-24-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
How old is you LO? I agree that trying to do FAM is a good idea. Sex drive is weird thing after a baby, especially when you are a nursing mother, plus being afraid to have sex also doesn't help. I found for me my sex drive didn't really come back until my hormones balanced back out after Dd's birth, and I also had to start taking fish oil supplements to help me.

I guess what I'm saying is it may not be the same for awhile, things are different in your life whether you realize it or not. For me when I was nursing half the time I felt "touched out" and we didn't do anything for awhile. That unfortunately is the reality for some couples who have a new baby.

You should look into those books though, they will help you a lot.
He's a lil over 4 months now. It's nice to know that it's normal Thanks for the books! I'll have to look into those!
#5 of 8 Old 09-25-2008, 03:11 PM

Honestly, NFP and FAM are a lot more tricky when you're nursing, because of the issue of getting consistent temperature readings (infant night wakings). In one of my books (Honoring Our Cycles), I think the author stated that if having another is REALLY out of the question, you should look into using condoms. Another thing is that cervical mucus can be difficult to interpret.

Katie Singer suggests sleeping in complete darkness as a way to prevent fertility from returning early. Complete darkness means that after 15 minutes, you cannot see your hand in front of your face. If you need to get up to nurse the baby, use a small red light bulb (like the kind in a photographer's darkroom) in a lamp on a nightstand. Also she said that babywearing for some reason keeps those fertility hormones from surging.
#6 of 8 Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 PM

Unless you are me, and get you first AF at 9 weeks pp. I instantly was right back on my cycle. I wore my baby, EBF, slept in the dark, and nothing keeps AF(oh I guess pregnancy) away for me. I am just one fertile woman, I could have a baby a year as my Dr said.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#7 of 8 Old 09-25-2008, 06:37 PM
JMJ

If you've been on HBC, I'm guessing your cycles have already returned (at least in an anovulatory form). Under normal circumstances, you could likely (about 98% of cases, but there are some "lucky" ones who it doesn't work for) get 6 months or more of infertility out of breast feeding, but I wouldn't count on it given that you've added HBC into the mix. You'll be looking at some pretty weird cycles from the breast feeding, coming off the hormones, waking up at night to feed, etc, so as some of these mammas have pointed out, NFP/FAM is not going to be as easy as it would be other times. If your signs are obvious, that's great. If you need some help, there are a lot of expert charters on this site, and if it seems overwhelming, you might look for a teacher in your area that you can meet with to review your particular situation.
#8 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
Unless you are me, and get you first AF at 9 weeks pp. I instantly was right back on my cycle. I wore my baby, EBF, slept in the dark, and nothing keeps AF(oh I guess pregnancy) away for me. I am just one fertile woman, I could have a baby a year as my Dr said.
Ditto all of the above - got my first PPAF at 7 weeks ( I thought it was more lochia which had stopped since 4-5 weeks until the second PPAF came at 11 weeks...). Fun times.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page