why do pple with iud's get preggo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I saw some posts about getting pregnant with an IUD, I know no BC is 100% effective but what causes one to get preggo with an IUD, is it b/c the iud is not in place correctly, or is faulty, etC? What are some of the reasons?

Just curious
#2 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Because the IUD is not made to stop conception from taking place. It's main purpose is to irritate the uterus in such a manner that when conception does take place that the fertilized egg can't implant. It doesn't do anything to stop ovulation from taking place. Some people theorize that it slows down sperm or speeds up the egg moving along so that they can't meet up, but they don't really know for sure and can't say how it would do this.

The stats they quote for failure are generally for perfect usage with no room for human error. If the IUD is not put in place correctly, comes lose, etc... it would certainly raise the failure rate.

#3 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 02:51 PM

maybe this is what I need to get pregnant..lmao

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#4 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
maybe this is what I need to get pregnant..lmao
Nooo!!!

I had one for years after DD and was always paranoid about this! The ones out on the market nowadays are so much better than the ones of the 70s and 80s, but my mom can tell stories (she works in healthcare industry) about babies being born with IUDs embedded in there bodies because the mom didnt want to risk mc after pg confirmation. Freaky!

However, if the Mirena is the one you are speaking about- it works by releasing a tiny dose of Progestin into the uterine wall, which thins it out to the point that the egg cant emplant...very similar to a traditional IUD. I also think the failures would come due to a misplaced IUD or a MIGHTY egg!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 PM

sometimes the IUD slips out of place with out the woman noticing - that's why it's important to check your strings. The IUD can be expelled from the uterus, or become imbedded in the wall of the uterus/migrate outside the uterus into the body.
#6 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
However, if the Mirena is the one you are speaking about- it works by releasing a tiny dose of Progestin into the uterine wall, which thins it out to the point that the egg cant emplant...very similar to a traditional IUD. I also think the failures would come due to a misplaced IUD or a MIGHTY egg!
This always confused me about Mirena. What is the point of adding the hormone? I know that non-hormonal IUDs are still on the market, and supposedly they are much better than the non-homonals of yesteryear.

My impression was that by adding Progestin, there is extra assurance against pregnancy because the hormone could even work to stop ovulation or fertilization, much like the traditional birth control pill. So is does the Progestin serve ONLY a contra-implantative purpose? :

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#7 of 8 Old 10-02-2008, 09:09 PM

it works like the mini pill and/or depo provera, but thickening the cervical mucous to make it inhospitable to sperm, and sometimes by preventing ovulation, but also by thinning the uterine lining so a fertilized egg can't implant.

They also think now that the copper in a copper IUD works as a kind of spermicide, making it very difficult for sperm to reach an egg to fertilize it. the copper theoretically also makes the uterus inhospitable to a fertilized egg so it won't implant.
#8 of 8 Old 10-03-2008, 05:10 PM

I have an iud and had to have surgery last year and they saw the IUD. The doc said it wasn't in place and I needed to get it removed and reinserted or whatever. I didn't want to because I've had the same one for 3 years and haven't been pregnant yet. (I'm married and TTC next year so it wouldn't be that bad if I got pregnant anyway.)

Moral of the story is -- I've never been pregnant so for all I know my husband in infertile or something .. but I know mine's out of place and I'm still not pregnant.

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page