New Paragard IUD and lighter period? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-07-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the Paragard (copper) IUD put in almost 2 months ago. Both months I had the tiniest, lightest bit of spotting about the time I should have gotten my period. But I was told the Paragard can make your periods heavier. It's the Mirena (with hormones) that is supposed to make your periods lighter.

Is this normal? Anyone else had lighter periods instead of heavier with the Paragard -- or does it take a few months for your "real" period to come back?
#2 of 6 Old 10-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Hi AnnMartina...
I had the paragard put in at 6 weeks pp with #3. When AF came back at 7mo pp I thought I was bleeding to death. I had always had heavy AF, but I was literally weaker, and ill during AF. I got it taken out...and will never get another one!! I have never heard of it causing lighter bleeding. Good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM

AnnMartina, have you taken a pregnancy test? I had one put in a few weeks ago, and for one day I'm quite literally haemorrhaging- the kind of flow where they tell you to go into hospital if it's during a miscarriage. Lighter seems exceptional to me.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 6 Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 PM

That sounds really unusual. I've never heard of a period getting lighter with Paragard. I have one and I get very light spotting 2 days before my period really starts. Maybe that spotting is something else and you actually aren't menstruating at all. Have you ever missed periods before? Have you taken a pregnancy test? I doubt that's what's happening if it's been 2 months like this, though.
#5 of 6 Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmartina View Post
I had the Paragard (copper) IUD put in almost 2 months ago. Both months I had the tiniest, lightest bit of spotting about the time I should have gotten my period. But I was told the Paragard can make your periods heavier. It's the Mirena (with hormones) that is supposed to make your periods lighter.

Is this normal? Anyone else had lighter periods instead of heavier with the Paragard -- or does it take a few months for your "real" period to come back?
This is my case exactly (except I've only had it one month). I'm pretty sure I feel the strings and everything is where it's supposed to be. I am hoping my body is just getting used to it. I am really hoping I'm not pregnant.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#6 of 6 Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 PM

I would take a test... mine have been crazy heavy!
I always had a pretty normal flow. Since the iud it has been terrible and long.:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page