those who don't use hormonal birth control... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what do you use? i absolutely do not want to be pregnant for the next year. i am currently on the minipill and i want to be off it. i really don't want to use any hormones anymore.

what method do you use? how effective has it been? i should also add that i'm not keen on condoms either as they irritate the crap out of me! lol so i am leaning towards NFP and the withdrawal method! not 100% i know. what about a diaphragm?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM

I use FAM with abstinence during fertile times. So far, (knock on wood) it has been very effective. I've been actively charting for over a year. A little over a year ago, we had a "slip up" and I got pregnant. I miscarried at 5 weeks (the day after I got my BFP.) We both knew we were taking a risk though. FAM (if you follow the rules!) is as effective as BCP. I like knowing what is going on with my body.

HTH!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We use NFP only, abstinence during fertile times. I have found it very effective and easy to use even PP.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM

I use a modified NFP. I don't chart and I don't temp. I go on cm and my body is very predictable.

Dh and I were married 7 yrs before we decided to get pregnant. We DO abstain usually during fertile periods.

-Angela
Old 10-27-2008, 03:52 PM

We also use NFP only with abstinance during fertile times. It's been a blessing to our marriage
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I use a modified NFP. I don't chart and I don't temp. I go on cm.
i have been doing this for years. i know when i am fertile and i abstain or use a condom during that time. being aware of my fertility works really well for me (in avoiding and ttc) and i have felt and been totally safe with this method for most of my adult life.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM

We have been using condoms... which I hate, but I am nervous to try NFP... we seem to be exceptionally fertile. DS1 came to us while I was on the pill, and DS2 was one random night w/out a condom (I hadn't been charting, so I had no idea when I was ovulating, but I guess that night was it!)
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM

I use FAM with condoms during fertile times.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM

Ever try lambskin condoms?

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 PM

I have a diaphragm and do not like it. the spermicide irritates me, and the danged diaphragm is hard for me to get in I'm always paranoid it's going to not be in the right place and check it several times before dtd..

we use FAM and condoms, withdrawal or a diaphragm if we happen to DTD during the fertile phase.

You can practice FAM and abstain, it doesn't refer only to using a barrier method during the fertile time. THere are different rules for NFP (more of them)
Old 10-28-2008, 12:49 PM

pull out method... for.... 8 years.

100% successfull thus far.....

we of course did this KNOWING we COULD get pregnant... I should say usually for the first year after having one of my kids we did use condoms bc I would have freaked out if i got pregnant again in the first year... but.... yeah
Old 10-28-2008, 03:36 PM

FAM with withdrawal during fertile times, normally. We are just using withdrawal for now since my period has not returned yet. It has worked for us. DD was planned.

''''

Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprgrl View Post
We have been using condoms... which I hate, but I am nervous to try NFP... we seem to be exceptionally fertile. DS1 came to us while I was on the pill, and DS2 was one random night w/out a condom (I hadn't been charting, so I had no idea when I was ovulating, but I guess that night was it!)
If you are exceptionally fertile, NFP might actually be the best option for you. People who don't have health issues affecting their fertility usually have nice and clear fertility signs. If your fertility doesn't like being suppressed, try working with it.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
If you are exceptionally fertile, NFP might actually be the best option for you. People who don't have health issues affecting their fertility usually have nice and clear fertility signs. If your fertility doesn't like being suppressed, try working with it.
: Give it a whirl! I use Billings myself, but was so skeptical about it... Well, I'm glad I got over myself. If you try it and don't like it, you're free to find something you do like.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 AM

We use NFP. Pretty much. I don't chart or temp. or check CM. So basically I just keep track of dates. During fertile times we use the pull out & pray method. It's been 100% successful for us thus far. We are ok with pregnancy at any time though so an oops would be ok, lol. But I'd like to wait another yr. or so ideally.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:53 PM

Cervical cap/condom and I use a Baby Comp to monitor fertility along with montioring my CM.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:01 AM

We also use NFP, but I don't temp or chart. Like others, I am pretty regular and go by my CM and what my body tells me and we use withdrawl during fertile times.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
I use FAM with abstinence during fertile times. So far, (knock on wood) it has been very effective. I've been actively charting for over a year. A little over a year ago, we had a "slip up" and I got pregnant. I miscarried at 5 weeks (the day after I got my BFP.) We both knew we were taking a risk though. FAM (if you follow the rules!) is as effective as BCP. I like knowing what is going on with my body.

HTH!
:
Old 11-01-2008, 04:36 PM

The copper IUD is also hormone free.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapatasana View Post
The copper IUD is also hormone free.
But can still present complications. Personally, I want nothing but babies in my uterus, but that's just me.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:41 AM

If you're really fertile, I suggest you completely abstain during fertile times. We were using condoms at fertile times (for years with no problems) and then the condom broke at a really bad time.
I just got a copper iud as an emergency contraceptive.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM

I know I'm a month late on this, but....

A diaphragm is an option but they are natural latex so you might have issues with those, too.

I used a copper IUD for about a year between #2 and #3. i also used the Mirena for 5 years after my divorce and before I got the Essure tubal done in August. The Mirena DOES have hormones and they always made me feel a bit pregnant. The copper one dosnmt but my periods were pretty heavy. After my Mirena was removed, I had a couple regular periods. has gone MIA thought now. Probably due to other factors as an xray showed the tubal worked and a hpt was neg.

There IS NFP which I used whle TTC. It works GREAT for that BUT my signs were pretty obvious for ovulation. you can use it for avoiding and there are some good support threads here for that. I would say if you want to do that, read up on it, chart your temp, BUT, don't rely on it at first. had a friend who, on her first month/chart, didn't see fertile mucous, had sex, and the next day she saw the mucous and a temp jump (indicating ovulation had already happened)- she now has a 9-year-old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatblondegirl View Post
what do you use? i absolutely do not want to be pregnant for the next year. i am currently on the minipill and i want to be off it. i really don't want to use any hormones anymore.

what method do you use? how effective has it been? i should also add that i'm not keen on condoms either as they irritate the crap out of me! lol so i am leaning towards NFP and the withdrawal method! not 100% i know. what about a diaphragm?

thanks!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:20 AM

I'm looking for natural methods to birth control. What is Plan B? Anything else? I need info beyond natural family planning. Tonight I was looking for anyone on Internet saying that natural progestrone could be used instead of the Pill, but it doesn't look promising. If it did, I suppose there'd be a rush on and lots of comments on it.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:30 AM

We use FAM. We like it and so far no slip ups.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 11-27-2008, 08:27 PM

we use FAM and withdrawal, condoms if DP wants to finish during the deed instead of after.

used to use the pill and withdrawal (same as above with the condoms). i didn't trust the pill, just used it as a backup. anyway, in over five years of using withdrawal we've been 100% successful so i'm comfortable using that during fertile periods. but i love my FAM because if i didn't know when i was ovulating and how long my LP is and all that i would be constantly worried. i just feel so much more informed now.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:29 PM

we use the wilthdrawal method which has worked so far. i would use FAM, but my 15 month old still nurses frequently at night making temping pretty impossible.

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
Old 11-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Well, once we .. well, I, lol, give birth ... my partner is heading in for a vasectomy. We want the highest possible success in terms of not having another.

FAM doesn't work for us because we're very spontaneous, and don't like to abstain - on any day, lol. And we think pulling out just ruins all the fun.

But, that's just us. And, obviously, if you're not done having kids, a vasectomy is not the way to go.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 11-28-2008, 10:56 AM

you don't have to abstain with FAM. we use it and never abstain.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:28 PM

I'm planning on ttc in the spring so the pill is out for me. It just takes too long for me to get my cycle back after I stop taking it. I've been checking my cm and having DH pull out during dangerous times of the month. So far it's worked fine. I'm just hoping it works for 5 more months It sounds like many posters on here use this method as well, so that makes me feel good.

jog.gifkid.gif

Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelernst.com View Post
Tonight I was looking for anyone on Internet saying that natural progestrone could be used instead of the Pill,
HI-- this is what we are doing while waiting on Oves caps. Prog cream. I recommend seeing infertilityworkshop.com. It has great links about a *shutdown* ie preventing ovulation with prog cream. NOTE** You do have to know your fertility signs well for this to work bc for example if you are high in estrogen (like me-- had pcos) you will be MORE fertile the first few months on prog cream until it levels out. PM if you want more on this. And see John R Lee's website, too. Good luck.

User Tag List