Mothering Forum banner

Birth Plans

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  MnMtm 
#1 ·
What are your birth plans? Us? I think we are going to do an unassisted vbac. I've had 1 vbac since my c-section in 2012 so I feel fairly safe with it.

#3 ·
I have had home and hospital births. I have had perfect and nightmare pregnancies. I have 6 living children and 3 gone before me. 2 late 1st trimester losses and one 37 week stillbirth. I had a severe subchorionic hemorrhage with my last that never resolved and I delivered in hospital with my Perinatologist by my side in case of placental rupture or anything. All vaginal births though and only an epidural with my first baby at 16.

What's the point of all this?! Just leading up to why I am saying I don't know what I will choose yet. It will all depend on how the pregnancy goes and what my instincts say to me as time passes. I do know I won't be going unassisted. I need to know that if something happens I have the help I need to do everything I can to keep me and baby alive. I've just seen how quickly and easily completely unexpected things can happen and I gladly welcome someone else monitoring all the vitals and bleeding etc so I can just soak up every moment.

I will update as time passes with what I am leaning towards :)

#4 ·
I'm not sure what our plans are yet either. My first was a midwife attended hospital birth. Second was at a free standing birth center. Last three were born at home. We have moved since my last birth and I don't know if there are any midwives that do home births here. There is a birth center that is a possibility. My preference would be another home birth. It just might not be possible.

#5 ·
I think we're looking at a hospital birth, and most likely another (my third :-( ) c/s. My daughter was sort of the classic case of too much intervention too quickly, which led to what was most likely an unnecessary c/s, but I was uninitiated to the idea that could even happen, so I wasn't really able to advocate for anything during the process. With my son five years later, however, I attempted a VBAC, but due to medical complications ended up with another c/s. While I'd love to give a VBA2C a go, I know there aren't any OBs in our area who will go for it and I think it's unlikely there are any midwives who will either.

That being the case, I'm going to advocate hard for a "gentle" c/s. It seems as though that would be the closest I could get to my ideal birth.

(Sorry for the novel, all. :) )

#11 ·
I think we're looking at a hospital birth, and most likely another (my third :-( ) c/s. My daughter was sort of the classic case of too much intervention too quickly, which led to what was most likely an unnecessary c/s, but I was uninitiated to the idea that could even happen, so I wasn't really able to advocate for anything during the process. With my son five years later, however, I attempted a VBAC, but due to medical complications ended up with another c/s. While I'd love to give a VBA2C a go, I know there aren't any OBs in our area who will go for it and I think it's unlikely there are any midwives who will either.

That being the case, I'm going to advocate hard for a "gentle" c/s. It seems as though that would be the closest I could get to my ideal birth.

(Sorry for the novel, all. :) )
If you lived in Utah I could recommend a great OB who is very pro VBAC. That said, gentle c/s does seem like the next best thing. They can put the baby directly on your chest, and delay cord clamping. Having a C-section does not mean that you can't still have a beautiful birth plan!

#6 ·
I would guess we are doing a home birth. Our first two were hospital births, third was out of hospital, and fourth was home. I haven't reached out to my midwife yet. If she's not available, we may choose to go to a birth center.

#7 ·
I wanted a home birth but due to finances and my husband's comfort level, we decided to do hospital midwife again. I'm still really happy with our decision as I love our midwife and had a decent experience last time around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.