Mothering Forum banner

Favorite things~early pregnancy

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Sarah Wadford 
#1 ·
So what are your favorite things to do/think about/read/look at during the first trimester? Do you plan things now? Do you begin making things if you are crafty?

I love day dreaming about the baby, like what gender it might be, and watching footage of live fetuses and development and things. We already talk about names often. What have you been spending your baby-thinking time doing?

#2 · (Edited)
What a great topic!! Thanks for posting :) What videos are you watching of the babies in utero? I'd love to see them.

I also love day dreaming about the future, who the baby will be. We have talked about names before, so I think we are set for a boy. There's several we like for a girl. Although I have a daughter, there's part of me that feels girls are mythical-magical-unicorns and I'll never have another. I'd be thrilled with another boy, but a girl would be really special. DH met DD and I when she was three and has been a dad to her ever since (we are in the process of finalizing his adoption of her - she's almost 10 now) so he & I haven't parented a girl baby-baby together.

I have been crocheting some bonnets and booties and such for friend's coming babies, and am looking forward to starting on my own. I have an appointment with my general practitioner tomorrow to "confirm" the pregnancy and get a referral for the first ultrasound. I picked up some lovely newborn cloth diapers from our local Buy Nothing project and actually ordered a wicker bassinet today! Usually I'm very superstitious (more anxious than superstitious, really) about preparing before the viability ultrasound/12 weeks, but I'm somehow feeling more zen with this baby. It's very welcome!

I've also been rereading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth :) Whenever I'm pregnant I find myself wanting to immerse myself in pregnancy and birth related things. Non-baby related I am trying to plan out our Oak Meadow curriculum for the year (we have unschooled until now) and it's totally daunting for me! Anyone have experience with homeschooling?

#3 ·
I've started reading too, I already read spiritual midwifery during my last pregnancy, but I think I'll pick it up again, and I started a book about powerful and pain free birth in my native language (Dutch), but I'm not sure what I think about it yet, it's a bit far fetched for me, but that could change.

We're (ok, correction, I) am already thinking about boys names. We already have two boys, and it was difficult to find names for them that fitted our requirements, but we're all set if it turns out to be a girl.

And all the knitting and crocheting I'll be doing... Maybe that's the part I'm looking forward to the most.

And, very premature, I already looked up where the local prenatal yoga class is taught.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

#4 ·
I've started reading too, I already read spiritual midwifery during my last pregnancy, but I think I'll pick it up again, and I started a book about powerful and pain free birth in my native language (Dutch), but I'm not sure what I think about it yet, it's a bit far fetched for me, but that could change.
I definitely recommend Ina May's other book (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth) too! And there's another I really liked, Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent. That one is probably my favorite, but it's packed right now so I have to wait.

We have the same problem with boy names! It was a struggle to find the two we did. I'd love to have another girl, but I don't think it will happen, haha. Frustratingly one of the names that has always been on my list, George, DH was against. So we eventually named our cat George a few years ago after I specifically said "If there's any chance you'd ever agree to name a child George then I want to save it." And he said there's no way he ever would. And of course recently DH wants George for a boy - and only George!! I still love the name so (with much trepidation on my part) we have changed the cat's name and are hoping it will feel okay by the time we name this baby. I have my doubts!

#6 ·
I love to start reading as much as possible about prenatal development or the evolution of prenatal development and parenting. I am currently reading, Making Babies: The Science of Pregnancy, by David Bainbridge, and I love it - it is fascinating. A couple of my favorites that I read with my last pregnancy are: Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species, by Sarah Blaffer Hrdy, and Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent, by Meredith F. Small.

#8 ·
I like to start my baby wish lists and Pinterest boards. I've got those going, looking for strollers and gear and cute outfits and clothes. I usually get to knitting. I have knitted all my kids blankets, and bottles and hats and even shirts once I learned. I also got the pregnancy apps and browse through it each day. I got the Pregnancy + one. Made a midwife appointment, and several announcement pics and a main announcement video.

Attachments

#9 ·
I've also started a Pinterest board / Amazon wishlist, just to help me feel organized when I start to feel overwhelmed. I had an early ultrasound done for dating, so it was super exciting to get a peek at the baby. We could see the heart beating which was amazing. After that I told my daughter (she's an only child) and that was by far the best part for me. She is so excited and I can't wait to see her as a big sister. I had her pose for an announcement picture (attached) so I am excited to share those too!

Attachments

Reactions: Xerxella
#10 ·
Riley, she looks so small still in that picture!! It's gorgeous. She and your new baby will be a similar age difference between Clementine and Malcolm and it's a really nice gap. They play together so much, they're so good for each other. And she remembers his birth and was so helpful when he was brand new (and after!)

Reactions: RileyAnn
#11 ·
I'm struggling with this - for the first time. I'm a total planner, and I have planned to have 5 (or more) kids my whole life! When I didn't get started till 29 (and that was a surprise - I had thought we'd wait even longer!) I thought it might not be doable since I like to have a pretty good spacing (first 3 are all 3.5 yrs apart). My 4th birth was by far my hardest - I expected to sneeze her out, but she was sunny side up with the cord around her neck twice, I was in prodromal labor for days, and active labor was 13 hours (compared to #3 at 3 hours). She was the only one where I didn;t feel ready to immediately have another baby! In fact, it was the first time I'd ever thought I didn't want to do it again. I have been struggling with either PPD or (I'm beginning to think) adrenal or thyroid problems, or a combo of all three, since at least my 3rd pregnancy, although I didn't identify it as PPD till 4 mos postpartum with #4 . I am still struggling. I homeschool, my oldest is a challenging child, my husband is an entrepreneur with an internet startup that we have been living through for the past 5 years, and I also have dairy goats and chickens. I'm overwhelmed. I have been using the 18 mos since #4 was born to come to terms with the idea of only having 4 kids and being okay with it (I don't do well with change - especially if it's a change to my PLAN!). I had literally just found peace, and even relief and happiness with the idea of 4 kids - LITERALLY a couple days before I took a preg test. I don't even know why I took it - we should have been in the clear, and I hadn;t even missed my period yet.

I have hated not feeling excited about this baby. I love babies. I love being pregnant. I wanted 5 kids. I know that given 9 months, I will be excited by the time they are here - but I hate to miss out on the fun planning phase!!! I have been looking at baby names a lot trying to kickstart the feeling. We have 3 boys and I have such a hard time coming up with boy names! But our daughter has an unusual name and trying to find something we like that pairs well with it is also hard (actaully there are tons I love, but I don't like any of the nicknames for them). Hoping to get more into baby crafting (knitting and sewing primarily), but I have so little time, I kind of doubt I'll get any of it down (yes, you are sensing pessimism and my endless need to cry right now!).

#12 · (Edited)
I love thinking about how my daughter will be with a little sibling, imagining our family outings (apple picking, farmers markets, beach, etc) as a family of FOUR (sounds like so many suddenly!), and thinking back to things I miss doing with my daughter that I can experience again (wearing a sleepy warm newborn in a sling against me for hours, dressing a baby in all those tiny sleepers and sleep sacks and miniature socks....Ahh

@RileyAnn what a beautiful announcement picture!

@mareseatoats that is such a cute story about the cat

@heatdodge I hope the excitement finds you soon!! Maybe checking in here frequently will kickstart those good feelings:) also Dairy Goats! That's great...We have chickens and dream of sheep someday!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.