Mothering Forum banner

Mom of many, where is your fundus?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NuzzleNudge 
#1 ·
Hey, I noticed lots of us here are moms of more than one or two...

If this is not your first pregnancy, can you tell me, where abouts is the top of your fundus?

For the last few weeks, I've felt like I'm carrying rather high. This is my 6th pregnancy, I'm 13 weeks 1 day now, and I can feel the top of my uterus reaches just about an inch below my belly button. Last week when I measured, I was getting a measurement of 16 cm! That's measuring 16 weeks at 12! Also, I thought for sure I felt some random baby movement a few times last week, once when I bent over to pick something up, felt like a wiggly fish trying to get out of being squished, and once when my belly was pressed up against the counter as I was reaching for the top shelf.

I'm wondering if that's rather common when you've have a litter of kids already, or if it might be twins. My midwife appointment is this Friday. I hope I can ask for and get an ultrasound!

#2 ·
I only have one daughter, so no litter here ;) but I thought I'd measure for fun after I saw this post. My fundus feels like it's right about belly button height, measuring 18.5 at 17 weeks 4 days.

I've been feeling flutters or a rolling sensation for a couple weeks now, but just felt my first real kick Monday. I was super shocked because I have an anterior placenta this time around and my midwife told me I probably wouldn't feel movement until later than typical. I didn't feel my daughter till almost 20 weeks so I was thinking I still had a month to go before I'd feel anything at all. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Well I had my midwife appointment last Friday at 13 weeks 5 days. My uterus was measuring 20cm! The midwife said she truly felt it is probably twins, but there could be other reasons for my 'symptoms'.
Ugh. This is just like every time I thought I was pregnant...every symptom and internet article only confirmed more uncertainty! Might be. Might not be.

Symptoms:
Positive (faint) at 8DPO, Darker at 9DPO and no doubt at 10DPO
Fundal height is ridiculous!
Subtle, possible movement
EXTREMELY exhausted!

We tried listening for heartbeats. We found one, measuring at about 144. Then we kept looking and found one about a minute later measuring 168! That is just what you are looking for when searching for twins but I read somewhere that the umbilical cord could be measuring slower. She also said it COULD be one baby's heart accelerating. ARG!!!

Oh, And I asked her if having a high fundal height happens when you've had several children already. She said not usually, the uterus is a muscle and tends to stretch where it should at the time, not race ahead. At 13 weeks it should be just above the pubic bone and mine was lined up with the top of my hip bones, nearly at my belly button!

I have an Ultrasound on Friday, I will be 14 weeks 5 days. DYING until then!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.