• 1 Post By Turner58800
  • 1 Post By justlizzy
  • 1 Post By Turner58800

#1 of 12 Old 03-12-2017, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Breast Pumps

Question - if you used a breast pump the first time (or times!) around, will you buy a new one for this new baby? I have a Medela pump from DS and they have warnings about re-using them (even if you replace the kit/tubing).

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
And someone new September 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-13-2017, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I'm planning on getting a new one so I can leave one in the office and have one at home instead of having to lug things back and forth between cities. My LLL leader said unfortunately the insurance models aren't designed to last and she always recommends getting a new one if your provider will give you one so you aren't stuck if the old one dies.

------
Married: 2009
LOTS of adventures with my wonderful DH

Became a mother May 2015 <3
Someone new coming Aug/Sept 2017 <3
#3 of 12 Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks @justlizzy . I called my insurance today, and they will provide me a new one, so I think I'm going to get one. Though this time I'm going to opt for one with a closed system so I have the option to use it again if we decide to have #3 ! I'm pretty sure the motor on my Medela was getting pretty tired by the time I stopped using it, so thats a great point to get a new one to ensure effective pumping from the start. DH was always stressed about our milk supply last time, so even though I'll be with the baby most of the time in the early weeks, I want to be sure to have a pump that works so I can build up a freezer stash for when I start teaching again in spring of 2018.

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015

#4 of 12 Old 03-13-2017, 12:30 PM

My options aren't super great, so I decided I'm going to be sticking with the Madela PiS like I got last time. I also figure I may as well since I have all the parts!

------

#5 of 12 Old 03-14-2017, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to try the Spectra S2. I almost got that one last time, but also got the PIS. Looks like the Spectra is supposed to be a little bit more efficient and a little quieter, plus have a closed system. I think Medela is a really smart choice, though, because at least here in the US its so easy to get replacement parts (they have most everything at Babies R US!) I hope I won't regret trying something new, we'll see.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#6 of 12 Old 03-15-2017, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I used the Hygiea the first time and liked it, however I am worried about it being worn out, and if I can get another one through insurance, I will. I am looking at the Spectra S1 as it has an internal battery. I didn't have that with the Hygiea and while I didn't need it at work, there were a couple times where I had to be somewhere on the weekends and no place to plug in pump! (once I was a vendor at an event, they had a mother's room with rocking chairs, but no outlets. The other time I was at a drift event my husband was competing at and only port a potties!) Having an internal battery so I could pump in the car or even trailer in private would have been great!

I also chose the Hygiea for the closed system. Also with adapters it worked great to pump straight into my munchkin bottles!
#7 of 12 Old 03-15-2017, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

@Turner58800 I saw that about the S1 too. I agree, that could be a really nice feature, and would definitely expand the non-gross pumping possibilities! Even just to be able to move freely about our living room without being "tethered" to an outlet would be nice. I'm pretty sure my insurance will only cover the S2, but I'll have to look into it. It looks like the Spectras can pump directly into Avent bottles, which were DH's favorite with DS, but I'm also kind of intrigued by Kiinde freezer bags, which can lock into the pump with a little adapter ring. It would be really nice not to have to pump into bottles then pour into bags!! They do seem more wasteful, though, because they have extra plastic (a little twist top). We'll see.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#8 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyerFly View Post
It looks like the Spectras can pump directly into Avent bottles, which were DH's favorite with DS, but I'm also kind of intrigued by Kiinde freezer bags, which can lock into the pump with a little adapter ring. It would be really nice not to have to pump into bottles then pour into bags!! They do seem more wasteful, though, because they have extra plastic (a little twist top). We'll see.
@ FyerFly I would rarely pour into bags. Before I went back to work I found a hack to pump straight into the storage bags. Typically though, what I pumped on Monday, he used on Tuesday. What I pumped on Friday, He used on Monday. I would feed on demand while at home. I built up a small stash before going back to work, and would add to it if I pumped more than was needed on a particular day.
FyerFly likes this.
#9 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 06:23 AM

Same here @Turner58800 -- pumping straight into the bags or bottles was SO much easier!
Turner58800 likes this.

------

#10 of 12 Old 03-17-2017, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

@Turner58800 would you mind sharing your hack?? In the first few months (till late Jan 2018) i wont be away from the wee one for any significant amount of time, so any and all pumping will be to build our freezer stash. So pumping directly into bags would be great! Once I start teaching again, most of the time it will be similar to what you said (putting milk in the fridge for the next day or 2 days later). If DS is still nursing though, Im curious how much Ill actually be able to pump hahahaha.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#11 of 12 Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 AM

http://vickiesblogofniftystuff.blogs...-wash.html?m=1

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/168885054752721340/

There are also medela (I think?) brand bags you can buy that come with an attachment (shown in first link). The bags that come with the attachment have slits already cut to fit on the hooks.
justlizzy likes this.
#12 of 12 Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks @Turner 58800!

Mama to DS
born June 2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page