Ok...how do WE make $$ with our Blogs? MDC momma blogs rock! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 106 Old 05-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
yay! i didn't see that post. but ok now my blog looks all smooshed..is there a way to expand the middle section? what do you ladies think? look smooshed to you?
I don't think your blog looks smooshed, but I just changed mine to three columns and I think mine looks smooshed now Maybe it's like a new hair-style and takes getting used to

Mothering a beautiful boy

#62 of 106 Old 05-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Sounds like very good advice, Flowers.

Thanks,
Laura

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#63 of 106 Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 PM

If anyone needs blogging tips or hints just let me know. I am making a decent living with my blog and would love to help anyone out.
#64 of 106 Old 05-10-2009, 09:25 PM

thanks!! how do i even begin to make money? i dont sell anything ...

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#65 of 106 Old 05-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Most bloggers earn their living by these three things:

1. Writing Reviews
2. Selling Ad Space
3. Promoting Affiliate Products

If you want more information on how to get started with any of these just contact me directly. I will do my best to point you in the right direction.
#66 of 106 Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM

I'm going to be avoiding ads all together until (if) I get some decent traffic. Then I'll try for some sponsors. I want to hand pick handmade/local companies to feature and incorporate the ads in a way that doesn't distract from my material. I'm sure it's going to take a little while to build readership and find a rhythm, but I'm thinking it will be worth it. I usually avoid reading blogs that look sorta messy with big ol' blinky ads and such. I want to try and keep it minimal and professional.

'Course I'm already fantasizing about sponsorship for my blog. Naturally, everyone and their mother will be rapping at my door begging for a 1" square ad space any day now. I've been blogging for a whole 72 hours already.

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#67 of 106 Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
For me, it's the following:
  • Ad Network (not just the CPM ads, but also their other promotions)
  • Direct Ad Sales
  • Affiliate Sales

I, personally, don't do paid reviews as I have an issue with ethics surrounding advertisers interfering with blog content - but I do do a lot of (unpaid) reviews on my site. I also don't do adsense because I don't like how it looks. Both paid reviews and adsense can be lucrative depending on your niche. I should mention that I didn't even think about ads until I had some fairly regular traffic and that direct ad sales is hard and time-consuming. My affiliate sales would probably do better if I did a better job incorporating their banner ads into the site and linking through to affiliates on posts. I also absolutely refuse to promote any product that I don't use or that is not specific to my niche.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#68 of 106 Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 PM

Hey Cascia,
I pmd you about some blogging questions.

Thx!

My baby is a TODDLER?!!! 12-28-08       toddler.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifblogging.jpg
#69 of 106 Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 AM

I just stuck my toe in the water by putting adsense on my blog. I have no idea how much it will make... probably a few dollars! But I figure making enough for a cup of coffee for something I do anyway... why not?

Those who have "followed" me, thanks! I hope to be able to return the favor.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#70 of 106 Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat View Post
I'm going to be avoiding ads all together until (if) I get some decent traffic. Then I'll try for some sponsors. I want to hand pick handmade/local companies to feature and incorporate the ads in a way that doesn't distract from my material. I'm sure it's going to take a little while to build readership and find a rhythm, but I'm thinking it will be worth it. I usually avoid reading blogs that look sorta messy with big ol' blinky ads and such. I want to try and keep it minimal and professional.

'Course I'm already fantasizing about sponsorship for my blog. Naturally, everyone and their mother will be rapping at my door begging for a 1" square ad space any day now. I've been blogging for a whole 72 hours already.
holy cow! I love the stuff on your blog! Do you make those houses? I can't tell where to buy them...they are so awesome!

and the shoes are perfect too! I have been looking for some
#71 of 106 Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascia View Post
Most bloggers earn their living by these three things:

1. Writing Reviews
2. Selling Ad Space
3. Promoting Affiliate Products

If you want more information on how to get started with any of these just contact me directly. I will do my best to point you in the right direction.
if I want to write a review of an MDC WAHM shop/product, where do I go to find one/her? I need to find someone who makes green birthday cards/invites for an article...and I'd rather promote an MDC mom and her products...
#72 of 106 Old 05-16-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to only accept ads for kefir grains, or essential oils or things like that? Maybe get a sponsorship somehow? How do you get a sponsorship?
i just recently added sponsors to my blog. i wrote out my intentions for sponsorship (which later evolved into a sponsor info sheet for people who inquire) and then contacted friends who offer products/services that feel in line with my blog content. right now i'm doing a three month trial period with four sponsors. i'm giving them free ad space in exchange for them giving me feedback on what kind of hits they get via my site and they are also running discount promos using my blog name to help track sales.

the give-aways are going great...steadily building...and by word-of-mouth i've begun having discussions with other businesses that are interested. (working on setting my rates and policies right now.)

Quote:
I need to find someone who makes green birthday cards/invites for an article...and I'd rather promote an MDC mom and her products...
i would think you could post on the wahm well to see if there is anyone there who makes green stationary. (might want to check with the mods though to make sure it's ok.)

also...not limited to mdc but i see a ton of requests on HARO (help a reporter out) for people who are looking for products to review. you could be super specific...i am looking for green birthday cards/invites created by a work-at-home-parent for review on my blog. etc.
#73 of 106 Old 05-17-2009, 02:02 PM

I am dipping my toe into niche blogging and am looking for contributors.

Pay is $6 with a byline, bio, link to your site. Topic is kid activities, if anyone is interested pm as I haven't paid the fee to link to a monetized site on MDC.

I agree with Cascia, it does seem that most of the $$ online is in reviews, ad space and affiliates. I think what some of us mommas here are trying to do is a different business model entirely though, which means it will have to be built from the ground up.

I also found this blog full in of information: Introduction to niche blogging
V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#74 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 01:16 PM

It seems that there are many of us waiting to build our readership before we think about ads or sponsors.

What is the magic number for you? 100 returning readers a day? 200? 1,000? I'm just curious.

Personally, I think I'll be shooting for around 150 returning readers and 500 unique hits daily before I start looking into it.

Is that way to low? Too high?

Discuss.

Molly - Mom to M - Feb '08 and wife to J. expecting baby #2 in late February
#75 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 PM

subbing...

for those of us that are totally new to blogging and ads, is there some places we can find out how to do this? I currently have a business website through yahoo and have seen my traffic increase. My daughter has asked me if I was going to blog stuff (midwifery, parenting, nursing, stuff like that). and asked about google ads.

i have no idea how to even get started! Any suggestions on the best ways to learn? thanks!
#76 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 PM

I'm waiting for around 1,000 hits a day and/or 150 subscribers. Right now, my thought is to seriously look into sponsors by August this year. Or even earlier, but that's my goal. I'm trying to re-design my website as well before I start sponsors.
#77 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 PM

I put mine on there, I'm Audrey... tryin' to figure out ways to pay for this new bean on the way. I already blog, facebook and all that stuff, so I figure if you girls know any additional way to make more money with my blog, I'm ALL ears!

Currently I have AdSense on there, but I haven't really blogged in a while.

My DP and I are going to simultaneously blog about this pregnancy... it should be interesting. LOL! But that will be on another site. What's your favorite? I've used blogger and wordpress...
#78 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogginworks View Post
I put mine on there, I'm Audrey... tryin' to figure out ways to pay for this new bean on the way. I already blog, facebook and all that stuff, so I figure if you girls know any additional way to make more money with my blog, I'm ALL ears!

Currently I have AdSense on there, but I haven't really blogged in a while.

My DP and I are going to simultaneously blog about this pregnancy... it should be interesting. LOL! But that will be on another site. What's your favorite? I've used blogger and wordpress...
Well, if you haven't blogged in a while, i would suggest doing that. You're not going to get any readers if you don't blog! I use blogger and like it..
#79 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
I'm waiting for around 1,000 hits a day and/or 150 subscribers.
I try to do good content but I feel like I'll never get that much traffic.

Anyway...I'm subbing. :
#80 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
I try to do good content but I feel like I'll never get that much traffic.

Anyway...I'm subbing. :
aww, You will... it just likes time and a lot of time/writing/thinking, but I hear ya, I'm so far away from 1,000 I feel like it's a shot in the dark. However, I NEVER thought I would get 100 subscribers and I'm almost there. I'm just SHOCKED!
#81 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
aww, You will... it just likes time and a lot of time/writing/thinking, but I hear ya, I'm so far away from 1,000 I feel like it's a shot in the dark. However, I NEVER thought I would get 100 subscribers and I'm almost there. I'm just SHOCKED!
How have you gotten so many more subscribers?! I've been blogging for a little longer than you and I only have 14.
#82 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, I have actually been thinking about having a guest post 2-3X a month so if anyone is interested and I like your stuff that would be a good way to promote your blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
I think I want to have guest posts. I will be able to get to a computer, but won't be at home to do my decluttering. So, I could have guest posts e-mailed to me, then post them to the blog. It's really important for me that I have daily blog updates.
I would LOOOOVE to do guest posts.
#83 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
How have you gotten so many more subscribers?! I've been blogging for a little longer than you and I only have 14.
I have just been working really hard on writing frequent post and making them good as well as trying to get my blog out there. I also had two giveaways which I think got me, maybe 10 or so subscribers.

What would you like to write a guest post about? Do you have anything you're really good at/interested in or something?
#84 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Hey holly- I don't think you're blog is your siggy, is it? Why not? I remember a while ago I went ot look for it and couldn't find it so I gave up looking... you will probably get more readers if you put it in here.
#85 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 09:18 PM

Her blog is linked in "Are you a domestic dork too?" in her siggy. It's hiding!

I know some don't have their links in their signature because they have ads or sponsors on their blog, which makes it require a business signature package.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#86 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
dooce.com

Who knows if she ACTUALLY makes $40K a month, that's just what Oprah said she said
I'm willing to bet that Pioneer Woman makes at least that much, if not more.

I play with the idea of making money with my blog (the unschooling one) but I can't make up my mind whether to pursue that or not, so I just keep plugging along. I only have 29 'followers' but that seems like so many to me since only three of them are family.

Can anyone explain the different options to put on my blog to encourage people to keep track of me? My 'followers' really, really jumped after I put the widget on my blog and made it easy for them. I keep reading about RSS feeds and Feedburner and other options but don't know much about them or how they work.

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#87 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
What would you like to write a guest post about? Do you have anything you're really good at/interested in or something?
Hmmm...I have something to say on just about every topic. But thinking about it...public speaking. I did theater for 12 years as well as competitive speech. Inevitably when someone speaks (like in church, or at a graduation or similar) I want so badly to tell them how they can improve. Or maybe I could post about how a novice blogger can spiff up the design of a blogger blog.

Quote:
Hey holly- I don't think you're blog is your siggy, is it? Why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoife View Post
Her blog is linked in "Are you a domestic dork too?" in her siggy. It's hiding!

I know some don't have their links in their signature because they have ads or sponsors on their blog, which makes it require a business signature package.
Yeah...for a while I had a different blog linked in it b/c my main one had ads. But I decided to focus on increasing traffic before advertising again since I only made like, 6 or 7? bucks.
#88 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
I'm willing to bet that Pioneer Woman makes at least that much, if not more.

I play with the idea of making money with my blog (the unschooling one) but I can't make up my mind whether to pursue that or not, so I just keep plugging along. I only have 29 'followers' but that seems like so many to me since only three of them are family.

Can anyone explain the different options to put on my blog to encourage people to keep track of me? My 'followers' really, really jumped after I put the widget on my blog and made it easy for them. I keep reading about RSS feeds and Feedburner and other options but don't know much about them or how they work.
I would recommend allowing your readers to follow you as many ways as possible, weather that be by followers on google, twitter, RSS feeds, or whatever. I would get an RSS feeds, definitely. If you go to feedburner- you can do it there. It was so long ago for me that I forgot how I did it, but if you get lost let me know and I can try and help you out!
#89 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Found you holly!

Maybe if you put your actual blog title- www......com or whatever in your siggy more people would realize it was a blog and click on it?
#90 of 106 Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 PM

I'm pretty new to the blog thing as well, and I've been excited to see that I'm getting a few more followers every day, but I'm still SO far away from the traffic I'd like to see on my blog. I update frequently,and I've started joining sites that compile blogs all together. I'm interested in hosting a give away as a way to increase traffic and get some more followers. How do you go about hosting one? how about advertising it?

My baby is a TODDLER?!!! 12-28-08       toddler.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifblogging.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page