Does anyone do web design? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-21-2004, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting classes (tomorrow in fact) for a web design degree. Just wondering if anyone with experience can give me some insight. I guess my biggest question is does it pay well?

Is it a viable stay at home job or is it better for someone who works for a company? How do you solicit clients? How much time do you spend with one client?

If you could tell me anything else helpful I'd really appreciate it!

TIA!
#2 of 3 Old 01-21-2004, 04:45 PM

It's a pretty impacted field, but it does pay well.

In 1997 I started doing web programming and design. I started out by charging $55/hour. Today I charge $50 per hour for my low end clients and $90/hour for my high end clients.

It's fun once you get into it too. I love programming! Finding clients is challenging, and people are learning web design on their own a lot now.

However, the best part of all this is being able to program your own site. If I had to pay a programmer to handle the Vegfamily .com updates each month, I'd probably be out of business.
#3 of 3 Old 02-22-2004, 05:17 AM

i agree with Erin, it is very impacted - there are a lot of really qualified folks out there competing for few jobs...

if that hasn't detered you (and it shouldn't if you are passionate) there is always a way to develop a niche...i target small businesses and non-profits in my community - if you are in a smaller community it can be easier to break into the market and build a reputation...

i charge $45/hr. for design/marketing/development/project management and $90/hour for programming...I NEVER pad my invoices and folks appreciate my fair pricing...If you are a beginner and it takes you an hour to do what an experienced person could do in 15 mins., charge 1/4 hour...clients should never have to pay for the learning curve...

your personality, interest and local committment will sell your skills...get involved in your community - networking can never be underestimated! good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page