How much to charge for Child Care in my home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-25-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this is ok to post here????

I recently advertised for Child Care in my home (craigslist). I have a 23 mos old & am due with # 2 early Feb. I want to be able to continue to stay home but DHs job isn't looking good so I thought about offering child care in my home to help us out. We are very AP & exclusively breastfeed, cosleep & are very green so I feel really good about what I could offer another family in terms of care. I didn't really expect anyone to reach out, but a Mama who works nearby emailed me & asked for more information. She has a 17 mos old with one on the way in the Spring. I asked her for more details on her needs but am wondering the following:
1) what kind of rates are reasonable for a 17 mos old Mon - Fri full work day;
2) what about 2 children (once any sort of maternity she takes is up)? they would both be under the age of 2.
3) are there any other factors I should consider? do i need insurance? a contract? do people in this situation typically claim their child care costs so we would therefore have to report the income?

Thanks so much for any help, advice, feedback, resources etc.
Steph

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 PM

It's really varies depending on where you live/state/province/country. Also check with the gouverment to see how many children you are allowed because that changes from states to states too.

You could check on your craiglist and see what others offers. There is also other daycare/childcare sites that you can ask or see for any info that you need and more.

Having a contract would be really important to cover yourself and the parent, IMO and to most other provider I know. Check out the thread here for the provider tribe, there is probably tons of info in there too.

hth

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#3 of 4 Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post
3) are there any other factors I should consider? do i need insurance? a contract? do people in this situation typically claim their child care costs so we would therefore have to report the income?
Insurance is important too, imo, in case of something happens. We do it for our homes and car, why not for childcare. Mine brought my home insurance up by about 5-10$ per mth. So not too bad.

If the clients ask for a receipt, you can either accept to do it or not(but don't quote me, i think it depends on alot of things). If you do accept to give receipt then you have to claim it. If you don't give receipt, then you don't have to claim and they can't claim either. kwim?

I gives receipts and I can claim my income and then I can put in what I used in electricity, insurance, food, gas, etc... on my imcome taxes.

hth

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#4 of 4 Old 08-29-2009, 03:02 PM

In my area, suburban of DC, the goign rate is $200 to $250 per week for full time. For Part time, i'ts $50-60 a day. These in-home daycares have certified caregivers and have county permit to operate a business in their home. Most offer breakfast, snack, lunck and snack. Some offer organic milk, organic eggs, and fresh fruits daily. Some have hugh single family homes with entire basement turned into a childcare setting, with huge backyard with playsets.

This one mom with two young children of her own offers childcare for $125 a week full time, but she doesn't provide the food. Parents have to sack the food for you child. She also lives in townhouse and does not go outside with kids.

The in-home daycare that I recently found for almost 2 year old daughter is single family home with entire basement setup like a montessori school. The owner used to work at the montessori school near by. She has an assistant who helps her, so she can have upto 11-12 kids. However, at the moment, she just has 7 kids. kids can walk outside to their big backyard with playsets. She charges $220 a week for full time and $175 for 3x a week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page