Starting a small school in GA - thoughts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering starting a small, private homeschool with no more than 6 students (my own and five others); I would use the K-12 virtual school curriculum just as a base, then supplement with truly individualized curriculum for each student (grades 4-8, thus far, both students are gifted), also somewhat "unschooling." Questions, questions, questions, though...

1. What are the laws governing this sort of thing? Technically, the students would be signed up as homeschooling with the parent, I think, but I owuld be the instructor.

2. What would you charge if you were doing this? Keep in mind that most private schools in metro Atlanta are approx. 18-25K a year for my age range, and that doesn't include all of the extras that go along with private school.

3. Troubleshoot for me. What could go wrong?

4. What do I need to do between now and fall 2010?

Any suggestions or commentary are very appreciated!! TIA.

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzannah View Post
I am considering starting a small, private homeschool with no more than 6 students (my own and five others); I would use the K-12 virtual school curriculum just as a base, then supplement with truly individualized curriculum for each student (grades 4-8, thus far, both students are gifted), also somewhat "unschooling." Questions, questions, questions, though...

1. What are the laws governing this sort of thing? Technically, the students would be signed up as homeschooling with the parent, I think, but I owuld be the instructor.

2. What would you charge if you were doing this? Keep in mind that most private schools in metro Atlanta are approx. 18-25K a year for my age range, and that doesn't include all of the extras that go along with private school.

3. Troubleshoot for me. What could go wrong?

4. What do I need to do between now and fall 2010?

Any suggestions or commentary are very appreciated!! TIA.

You may have better results in Learning at School.

I know in my state if a student is homeschooling the main instructor HAS to be a parent or guardian. You could only do this here by opening an actual private academy.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#3 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
You may have better results in Learning at School.

I know in my state if a student is homeschooling the main instructor HAS to be a parent or guardian. You could only do this here by opening an actual private academy.
I wanted to post here specifically because it will be nothing like a regular school - at all - and the mamas and papas homeschooling have more insight into the ways to make it work with multiple kids.

In GA, the only requirement I know of is that the homeschooling person has to be a high school graduate. To protect my family, I would probably have an LLC and be paid, spend money on the school, etc through that.

HoneyFern

The Blog

#4 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 04:02 PM

They don't have to be the parent here in Atlanta.

I can't troubleshoot with you on what *could* go wrong. There's unlikely to be an attack upon you, but of course you need to limit your liability as with any business so find a business lawyer to set you up.

You would be running a home school enrichment program, not a school. I recommend talking to someone like Veritas, operating a part-time home school enrichment program in the area, or some of the several university model schools in the Metro area, and see if you can take someone to lunch to figure out what CYI measures are important to them.

This is a similar model to many "gym schools," as gymnasts tend to get together to study under one or more tutors in a morning or afternoon block when they get to the higher levels and train during the daytime. Bring your own curriculum, what have you. (Are you setting up a gym school?)
#5 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 PM

for pricing, i would compare it to king's academy or some school of that sort - which is 2-3,000 yearly and directly targets homeschoolers. my sister's 4 children attend fellowship (a private school) in alpharetta & the tuition is 10,000 year, plus sibling discounts.

will the children you teach be enrolled in k12? if yes, i'd check with them directly to see how many kids you're able to be the "learning coach" for. if not, will the parents pay for the curriculum on top of the tuition?

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#6 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
for pricing, i would compare it to king's academy or some school of that sort - which is 2-3,000 yearly and directly targets homeschoolers. my sister's 4 children attend fellowship (a private school) in alpharetta & the tuition is 10,000 year, plus sibling discounts.

will the children you teach be enrolled in k12? if yes, i'd check with them directly to see how many kids you're able to be the "learning coach" for. if not, will the parents pay for the curriculum on top of the tuition?
I would definitely charge more than 2-3K; this is not a supplemental education for a parent who is homeschooling; this would be all of a student's education. All of the students (I am up to three potential students) have certain circumstances - two are gifted and the school doesn't move fast enough, one is very bright but suffers from anxiety and the pressure of the IB curriculum in her current school is too much. This isn't a "gym school" per se, but it would be something along those lines, except for same school hours and field trips.

HoneyFern

The Blog

#7 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM

I'm confused about how this is homeschooling, rather than private schooling...

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#8 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post
I still am, too.

#9 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post
Why does it matter what you call it? I am not a school. I am teaching at home, my child included, but I am eliminating all of the extranneous CRAP and unnecessary junk that comes with a public school, and the "curriculum, will be largely individualized and paced for each child. Again, why does the label matter?

HoneyFern

The Blog

#10 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Why does it matter what you call it? I am not a school. I am teaching at home, my child included, but I am eliminating all of the extranneous CRAP and unnecessary junk that comes with a public school, and the "curriculum, will be largely individualized and paced for each child. Again, why does the label matter?
First K12 through the school district is public schooling at home. It impacts how you register, what you are accountable for, and is no longer parent driven. Teaching other people's children is different as well- the discipline issues, the structure- it's just not what pops into mind with a homeschool. You may want to google cottage schools- I think that's actually what you are talking about opening. It's not a bad thing, and it's an important niche- but it's not homeschooling.

#11 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 PM

i'm confused too honestly.

it sounds like you have 3 potential prospects though...so that's good. i hope it works out for you.

#12 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I would definitely charge more than 2-3K; this is not a supplemental education for a parent who is homeschooling; this would be all of a student's education.
just to clarify, university model schools aren't supplemental. they are considered a full education. we have one in charlotte called "grace academy". it's about $3,000 & is considered a full-time private school, but homeschoolers may also attend part-time. students attend either tu/th or m/w and they do work throughout the week at home... it's like college. anyway, from what you mentioned, i thought it seemed like a reasonable price comparison. i'm sorry if i was wrong. i do hope it works out for you though. hugs.

#13 of 17 Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM

Hi! I am starting a k-6 private school in my area, we start tomorrow.

Check with your state ed website, they should have an entire section devoted to Non Public school. Under our non public school, there is a section for homeschooling and private schools. In NY we can't operate as a homeschool co-op because of regulations.

Your state probably has very specific guidelines/regulations. I would start there.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#14 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Wow, I must be living in the wrong part of the country, no one around here could afford 18-25K per year for private schooling! Even 2-3K would be what many people make in a month, unless you are talking about upper middle class...I tried to start a waldorf inspired co-op, but the cost was too much for any of us to afford, it would have been about 300 per child per month...

But, when I did the research, I realized there are TONS of rules! Depending on how many students you have, you may have to register as a school, then you run into all the rules about that. Also, if you have these kids for a certain amount of hours/days, you have to register as a school or daycare in PA, which means lots of rules, like fire extinguishers, rules on the bathroom, rules about the kitchen, 2nd floor bars on the windows if it's not blocked off, the list is a whole pdf. document.

If the parents are there part of the time, it might be different. And of course, I don't know GA rules or regulations, but it is much better to be too thorough in the beginning than the end, because you can be fined PER DAY that you didn't comply.

You asked what does it matter? In the state's eyes, it matters very much...homeschooling is often defined by each state and most have some kind of rule about schooling children you don't have custody of...PA is one of the stricter though, so yours might be better!

I like the idea though, I'd still like to have a waldorf inspired (not strictly waldorf, I don't like the religious views) type of program, I would be totally into doing something like that for the summer months...but it has to be a co-op for me in order to afford it...and to not run the problem of having to hire a certified teacher....
#15 of 17 Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

GA is pretty lax (a blessing and a curse, I suppose). Technically, as each student would be enrolled in a virtual public school, it's not homeschooling, and if I keep it under six students I don't have to be licensed. I would essentially be hired as a "tutor".

My mom lives in your part of the country (and I am from Maryland). Private school is ridiculously expensive down here. What I am offering is a bargain, especially (and I don't say this immodestly, really, although it sounds hideous) given my qualifications and skill level. I am thinking about offering one language and a weekly group music lesson, too, and tuition includes all field trips (unless there is anything overnight, in which case parents would be invited and need to supplement). I also have two horses and can offer riding lessons, and I have an outstanding math tutor lined up. I have two students (DD and one paying) so I just need four more!!!

HoneyFern

The Blog

#16 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 AM

Its been awhile since the last feed. How is your program doing now?

#17 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

What a long, strange journey it has been!!! Thanks for asking!

We are headed into our third year this fall, and so many things have changed. I enjoyed reading this thread over.

I am, technically, a private school, accredited by the Georgia Accrediting Commission out of University of Georgia as a non-traditional school (6th-12th grade). Students come to me three days a week; the other two days are for either independent work OR internships that I arrange based on their interests along the same lines as a big picture school . I consider myself a hybrid home/private school, recruiting and catering more towards homeschooled students who are ready to try a different type of ed but don't want to go to traditional school. Every kid has a different "curriculum" that focuses on their interests and ties all of their academics together; I coordinate all of their academics, help them write their learning plan, teach them what they need or identify those who can (i.e., upper level math. Not my area of expertise!), arrange internships and enter us in competitions (i.e., the Stock Market game, which we won in Georgia in our division this past spring, Rube Goldberg, Future City, etc).

We have had some incredible highs, and some pretty unfabulous lows. The best part has been watching my students take off. The worst part has been recruiting for this very progressive school in my very conservative state. It is difficult for people to see that even though kids aren't in rows with worksheets, and even though they like what they are doing and continue to do it after school gets out, they are learning. We took a nationally-normed standardized test (as required) at the end of the year, and even though I had never seen it until I opened it the day before the testing, and I never taught the format to the kids, our school average was 97%. One of my kids was a guest blogger for Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution site and hs been invited to blog for Tumbleweed Tiny Houses in the fall (her curriculum is building a house). Another student who was focusing in learning English as a second language went from 30% proficiency to 78% in three months. Tutition is affordably priced for my area (I dropped it this year) and includes everything. I know the way we learn here works, but recruitment has been a challenge for me.

This year I am thinking of which direction to go - expand big and start a school (w/less than 100 students still), or stay small (l0 student max). Who knows what will happen, but it has been an incredible journey!!

If you are interested in seeing a bit more about what we do, here is my website, and here is my blog. I can't remember if these are in my signature or not.

HoneyFern

The Blog

User Tag List