Close to my heart - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if they have this in the states. It's a scapbooking company. I'm tempted to sign up as a consultant but they only make 22%. Do you think it would be worth it?
My mat leave runs out this month and we'd like to supplement a little income...

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#2 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 PM

If you're that good at scrapbooking (that's what you meant to write, right?), why not start your own business? Start small, see if you can get a few ladies together for parties and make some sales, and go from there.

Emily
#3 of 21 Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Lol. Wow. Didn't even see that typo.
Where would I get my products? I wouldn't know where to begin!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#4 of 21 Old 10-16-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
Lol. Wow. Didn't even see that typo.
Where would I get my products? I wouldn't know where to begin!
Not being into scrapbooking, I don't know right off the top of my head, but I bet an online search would prove to be quite fruitful.

Also, you might consider seeking out and joining a WAHM forum--even if you're not technically a WAHM right now, I'd bet they'd be thrilled to point you in the right direction.

(Come to think of it, you could post something to the Mothering WAHM's and see what you come up with. )

Emily
#5 of 21 Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyintexas View Post
Not being into scrapbooking, I don't know right off the top of my head, but I bet an online search would prove to be quite fruitful.

Also, you might consider seeking out and joining a WAHM forum--even if you're not technically a WAHM right now, I'd bet they'd be thrilled to point you in the right direction.

(Come to think of it, you could post something to the Mothering WAHM's and see what you come up with. )
Ok thanks. I will.

#6 of 21 Old 10-17-2009, 09:47 AM

Hey, bcblondie,

I was thinking that if you wanted to consult other women RE scrapbooking you may not need to worry about carrying products. You could set yourself up as a consultant, and charge a group fee for holding a scrapbooking party/workshop, and charge a higher fee for women who wanted to hire you on a one-on-one basis.

Then it would be simply a matter of figuring out how to market your business online and offline (and there are a TON of resources out there about how to open your own consulting business).

Just brainstorming. I'm into the whole entrepreneurial thing.

Emily
#7 of 21 Old 10-17-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea. But I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to be a scrapbooking "coach." And I doubt there would be as much of a market for it out here.. I was kind of hoping to make money just by selling things...

#8 of 21 Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Well, then, go for it!

Emily
#9 of 21 Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

#10 of 21 Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 AM

Don't you have to host the parties to sell the stuff? I've been to a couple of CTMH parties, and there's always a demo by the consultant. They are probably trained in how to do it, though.

Mommy to kids

#11 of 21 Old 10-22-2009, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Nope. You get other people to host, and you give them "hostess incentives," little prizes, or discounts to thank them for hosting. But yes the consultant does give a demo. I saw in the package you buy when you sign up, that theres a book describing the products. And one called "open me first." So I guess that's your training.

I did do Passion Parties before but it flopped because I couldn't get my name out there without certain people finding out I did it. (My church is super conservative.) But anyways, when I signed up it came with an instructional DVD. And learning the products was a kinda "learn as you go" type thing. You can't learn everything all at once

#12 of 21 Old 10-25-2009, 01:54 AM

I sold CTMH many years ago.
I really liked it. I liked the company and my group.

I got married and wanted to be home at night and quit:0

I have friends who do very very well. The 22% isn't a lot though. I think there are other bonuses though.
#13 of 21 Old 10-25-2009, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Well I talked to the girl who did my party. She said she really doesn't make much. Especially since you have to always be buying the new ideabooks and whatnot. So I don't think I'll be doign it

#14 of 21 Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 AM

Well, you gotta do what's right for you. Better to make the right decision now than have regrets later.

Keep searching, and eventually you'll find something that's a fit for you.

Emily
#15 of 21 Old 10-25-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
Good news is, there's no pressure. MIL helped us figure out a good budget (since my mat leave just ended). We don't really need any more income and I love staying at home. But a little extra cash is always nice, say, to go for dinner etc.

#16 of 21 Old 10-30-2009, 12:35 AM

If you accept credit cards, you need to minus 4% from the profit margin.

Also, if you have to buy the products and sell it youself, 22% profit margin is tiny. You can actually lose money. You have to buy and sell at least 5 times to break even with 22% profit margin. For example, you buy a book for 80 dollars and sell for 100. That's your 20 dollar profit. However, now you have to buy the product again for 80 to sell it. So, you are using that 20 dollar to buy 80 book again. So, you are minus 60 dollars until you sell it. You sell it for 100 and now you have $40 profit. But now you have to use that $40 to buy $80 book again to sell. And so forth. You see? Unless you don't have to carry the inventory (purchase the books first to sell the product), it may not be worth it. Maybe it's worth it if you don't have to purcahse the materials until your customers buys from you.... only if you don't have to carry inventory. I personally know couple of people who were scrap booking consultants and they both didn't make any money.
#17 of 21 Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

I definately see what you are saying. The only upside would be that I could use a lot of the scrapbooking supplies I had on hand for demonstrations, like the stamps I love stamps

Another lovely lady on here gave me a wonderful idea for a different business venture. She draws colouring books and sells them on etsy. I showed her some of my art and she said I could totally do it
Best part is that it wouldn't cost much to get started. If it fails, oh well. KWIM?

#18 of 21 Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 AM

Everyone who is known as a success has failed many times along the road...

Emily
#19 of 21 Old 10-30-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Emily

#20 of 21 Old 10-31-2009, 01:36 AM

Love your positive attitude!
#21 of 21 Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page