Does this bother you at all? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking about diapers/covers specifically here.

Does it bother you if the WAHM farms out the work to someone else?

What if you didn't realize it until after you ordered?

Does it bother you if you find out the "WAHM" doesn't have any children?

Or what about if she is a very new WAHM - new referring to maybe just having/had her first child?

ummmm trying to think of others that have recently come up in different discussions. Just wondering what our expectations of WAHMs are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 05:12 PM

I'll answer....
I would never pick a midwife who had never given birth, just like a male OBGYN. So I guess my answer would be based on ecperience. I am all for supporting WAHMs. But how can you be a WAHM with no children?
I guess a diaper is only as good as the pattern it is cut from. I guess what I am trying to say is experience matters to me. I would rather buy from diaper makers who can answer questions: like...."how do the legs fit on a newborn" "How is the rise/droop when baby get mobile"
I wouldn't want to think I was buying from a WAHM and discover otherwise.

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#3 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 05:15 PM

Responding *only* as a consumer (taking off my WAHM hat for a minute...:LOL)

Does it bother you if the WAHM farms out the work to someone else? ..Not really, as long as I get what I need in the specified time frame! I know that there are a lot of WAHMs that just have too much to do all on their own. I see no problem with it as long as the service/standards are the same with everyone the WAHM "farms" her work out to.

What if you didn't realize it until after you ordered? ..Well, I guess I might have felt like I was duped, you know expecting *that* WAHM to make my items..but I don't think it would be that big of an issue..

Does it bother you if you find out the "WAHM" doesn't have any children? ..Sorta. I mean, if she's not be able to concieve or has fertility issues that's one thing. But if it is someone that hasn't even tried to be a mom and they are taking the title, well..that's a little dishonest! :LOL

Or what about if she is a very new WAHM - new referring to maybe just having/had her first child? ..Undecided. I don't know that someone that *just had* her first child really would have the time and the energy to be a WAHM! :LOL
#4 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 05:22 PM

Nah, as long as the work was up to the WAHM's standards.

No.

No, as long as her products are tried and tested. I mean, i guess the question is, is it dishonest to say you are WAHM if you have no kids. Yes. If she calls herself a WAHM, thats dishonest. But I buy non-WAHM things too, and I am OK with that, although I prefer WAHM.

Or what about if she is a very new WAHM - new referring to maybe just having/had her first child?
No problem there, as long as the product is tried and tested!
#5 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 05:23 PM

I would be annoyed if I found out a "WAHM" was childless if she is representing herself AS a WAHM. To call yourself a WAHM when you're not a mom is an out and out lie, and I wouldn't want to hand my cash over to a liar. If she's a woman with a home business and doesn't call herself a WAHM, then I wouldn't care. Nor would it bother me if the person was a new mom. Between having siblings who are a lot younger, and nieces and nephews, young cousins, close friends with children, etc., there many ways to have had experience with children without having them yourself. And if someone can produce well fitting diapers and covers, I don't care if she's ever seen a baby at all. :LOL I like supporting WAHMs and knowing that I help them stay home with their kids, but it's still a business, not a charity, so I'm mainly concerned with quality products and customer service. Everything else is icing.

And as long as the quality is up to par, I don't think it would bother me if the work was farmed out. Again, it's about the quality for me primarily. It would only bother me if the WAHM made a big deal on her site about each item being made with her own two little hands. Lies bother me.
#6 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 05:40 PM

Does it bother you if the WAHM farms out the work to someone else? Only if I'm lead to believe that she sews everything on her own and then I later find out otherwise. I actually found this one out the hard way, twice...once was a QA issue too, so I was annoyed at the time b/c there was no way to tell who had done the not up to snuff work.

What if you didn't realize it until after you ordered? Like above, it depends...if I knew she didn't make her own dipes ahead of time, I wouldn't mind, but if I was lead to believe she sews it all on her own but really doesn't, it would indeed bug me.

Does it bother you if you find out the "WAHM" doesn't have any children? She needs to change her title in this case. IMO, you can only be a wahm if you are a work at home mom. If you work in your home and have no kids, then your title is misleading.

Or what about if she is a very new WAHM - new referring to maybe just having/had her first child? As long as her quality is up to par and her sizing is realistic then I wouldn't mind.
#7 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should answer myself too!

Well I was a bit put off when I had ordered things several times from a WAHM who talks about things on her site as if she has made them and then found out in an email she sent me that she contracts out the sewing actually. I guess I was sortof shocked. I just didn't feel too good about it because I felt like she was representing things one way on the site and then I found out later that it wasn't that way. So after the situation, I had to take a look at how I really felt about it all.

I've bought from another WAHM that doesn't do the sewing herself and I was fine about it ...but I knew that in advance.

I think it would be pretty hard to be a good WAHM diaper maker and not have any significant personal cding experience. Someone could be a great seamstress but it's just a whole different experience having actually cd'd or not IMO. I think it would be very difficult to answer all the questions and deal with the different things that come up from diapering moms.

And in all cases...I would prefer to know. I just want them to be honest and I don't want to find out down the road that things were not as they were originally represented.
#8 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clothcrazymom
No not really. As long as the quality is there I think it is the WAHMs perogative to manage her business as she sees fit.

Quote:
I don't think that would bother me either...again as long as the quality was consistent. I don't think the WAHM is required to explicitly state that on her website (though many do). I would still expect the WAHM to take responsibility for all the products she sells and not use the "farming out" as an excuse for poor quality KWIM?

Quote:
No. I would be upset if she pretended to have children and didn't just because that would be dishonest and I would wonder about her character and honesty in other areas as well. I expect people I do business with to be honest. But if she was honest about that and didn't represent herself as a mom then I wouldn't hold that against her (I tried for nearly 3 years to have my DS so I know sometimes its not a matter of just wanting to be a mom and becoming one).

Quote:
Again that wouldn't bother me. I don't know of any WAHMs who were able to test their diapers using only their own children (even assuming you had a child in each size you still need to know how the diaper fits different body types etc etc so I don't think a new mom would be at a disadvantage as long as the product was properly tested KWIM?

Quote:
ummmm trying to think of others that have recently come up in different discussions. Just wondering what our expectations of WAHMs are.
I guess my expectations of WAHMs are similar to my expectations of business people in general. I expect them to be honest, have good communication and honour their commitments. If they are doing all of that and they have a good product then I will purchase from them regardless of their personal status.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#9 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 07:01 PM

No. As long as a product is good and not made in a way that would go against my morals, I'm fine with it.

Hmmmm...well if it was deliberate deception where the person was saying she makes it but I found out differently, I'd be bothered. I'd be bothered about deception and lying and not about the actual issue.

Well, then she wouldn't be a work at home MOM...she'd be a work at home wife or a work at home person but not a MOM. It doesn't matter to me if the person does/doesn't have children just so long as they are making a product that works UNLESS they claim to be a mother and are not. I can see that there could be women who for lack of a better category fall into the work at home mom category insofar as community/business/etc.

Nope -- doesn't bother me. If a mother can handle family and business, more power to her. I can't and am in awe of women who can. I'd hate to buy from someone who was a WAHM and who was not able to give her baby the things the baby needed, but I have no way of judging that (generally) and just assume that people are able to manage it without neglecting their children. People can neglect their children in many ways and they don't have to be "working" to do it. If it's an issue of experience, as long as the product works, I'm willing to buy it.
#10 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Does it bother you if the WAHM farms out the work to someone else? What if you didn't realize it until after you ordered?
I'd be crushed! It's like buying a piece of art and finding out it's a forgery.... Diapers *are* art, aren't they??? :LOL
#11 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 07:29 PM

Quality of end product is all that matters to me.
#12 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 07:42 PM

Not at all, as long as the quality is there, though I know many of the WAHMs who do this don't have the info on their websites and they should....

See above!

That would strike me as odd, unless they had tons of testers, and they called themselves a diaper-maker, not a "WAHM" to keep it truthful.

That's fine as long as she has testers. My biggest pet peeve about several diapermaking WAHMs these days are that everyone seems to have mostly girls, and soakers are so short or the diaper design doesn't reflect an upfront wetter as much as I'd like. Makes me wonder if all the testers had girl babies too! :LOL

Okay so it's not a peeve so much as it's an interesting thought floating around in my head...
#13 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 07:46 PM

I think that if I found out that someone was misleading me like telling me she makes the diapers when she doesn't or tries to hide that fact, or like if she pretends to be a WAHM and is not, this would really, really bother me. I like to support WAHMs and would rather buy from them than from a Work At Home Wife who is in a totally different situation than a real WAHM. and wouldn't want to be mislead about that! Who would? But if I find a product that I really like and no other WAHMs who sew at home have it, then I wouldn't stop myslef from buying it...

Azadeh
#14 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 08:46 PM

it wouldnt bother me if a WAHM employed others to assist in sewing her diapers - hopefully all WAHMs would be so busy that they needed more help!

lillian
#15 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 09:35 PM

Here's my take on this..
I'm not bothered by wahms who have help at all as long as they stand behind their product.

I am, however, bothered by diaper sewing wahms that don't have children yet they designed their own diaper pattern and market it. Yes, anyone who sews diapers should do testing.. and LOTS of it to gain feedback from other mothers. But there are soooooo many things you have to learn first hand.. no tester will ever tell you or they just don't know to tell you. I think that if someone is sewing diapers to sell they shoudl be using their design, or have used them in the past .. day in and day out. If they bought a business of a well tested pattern.. that's even acceptable to me. But, when a woman designs a diaper and relies only on the feedback from her testers, she's shortchanging her customers in my opionion. There's only so much information you can gain from pictures, words, descriptions etc.. and it's all vaulable information. But, I still think it's in NO way a replacement for washing, drying, changing that design on a child that is growing.. to see what it looks like when the baby learns to crawl as opposed to just sitting.. to see firsthand what a diaper looks like when it's wet (does it sag? bunch up in the crotch? how much wetness does it hold and where does the wetness go?.. does this change after the 3rd wash?.. what about the 100th wash/use). There's just no replacement for every day use of a design to see what needs changed etc. Every baby is shaped differently and sometimes the only way to test for that is to get other mamas to test for you (not have 50 babies *L*) .. but more basic things than the fit and funciton need to constantly be monitored for an extended period of time. Will your customers email you if the serging starts to come loose after a couple of months use? No.. not always or even usually.. will your customers/tester tell you if the elastic you use is slipping or breaking? Maybe or maybe not, but if you use your own design day in and day out before ever marketing it.. and then also while you are marketing it.. you have the advantage of catchign that before your customers have to deal with it. So yeah.. it bothers me when a diaper sewing "person" hasn't ever used their own design/product under the same circumstances that it's meant to be used. Testers are great, but they are by no means a replacement for first hand and hands on experience.

Amber
#16 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 09:50 PM

are non mothers interested in sewing diapers???
#17 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 10:19 PM

Not as long as its stated somewhere on the website or upfront

&

ITA with Amber on this one Many times there are chages that have to be made to a design that you wouldnt notice unless you were using it yourself and see it in action on a daily basis. This also applies to fabric.... something can be the nicest fabric out there to touch.... but be completely different when wet, peed on.. pooped on.. sitting in a diaper pail, washed 3 times a week,etc... Without thorougly seeing this stuff yourself you are setting yourself up to have a substandard product IMO.
#18 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 10:27 PM

I'm ok with farming out work, though I'd prefer to know. if I didn't know until after, it would still be ok as long as I was happy with the product and it didn't turn out to be produced in sweatshop conditions.

As far as WAHM, that's our fault for not making the term very inclusive. Do we ask for birth certificates before you can get listed on a resource list, or on an auction site? WAHTTC? WAHWaiting to Adopt? WAHInfertile, deciding to live childless? WAHBut my baby died? WAHWife?

I support the any business venture that helps people be self-employed and in control of their destiny. People should be supported in trying to find new ways of living and working in our community, regardless of when or how or if they have kids. Lots of women sew, children or not, so I don't think having kids is a requirement to made CD's...I'm sure she must find good live testers if she plans on staying in business. Maybe she comes from a large family, or runs a daycare. Has a best friend with a hyena-level addiction. There's lots of other areas where I am not concerned whether a maker uses her product as much as that she makes it with care and pride.

Delivering babies and operating a sewing machine are way way different...I don't think the analogy is the same at all.
#19 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 10:27 PM

If someone has to have first hand experience using the diapers, does that mean a diaper making WAHM can only make diapers as long as she has children in diapers? Once her children are out of diapers, does that mean she can no longer try new fabrics, or tweak her design at all based on customers' experiences alone?

I'm not so sure that day to day experience is so important. Of the diapers that I've purchased, I have some I love, some I hate, and some that do the job well enough so that I don't hate them, but I'm not dying to have more, either. Out of these diapers, I see raves all the time with people loving the ones that I hate and occasionally hating the ones that I love. I don't think I've seen a single diaper that ONLY gets negative reviews, or one that absolutely EVERYONE loves.

My point: a non-mom, with a little research, could produce a diaper that would work well for a lot of people. There are a lot of men who design women's clothing, and I certainly don't expect them to wear the clothes to see how they fit, or even that they must live with a woman so that they can see how the clothes hold up for day to day use. (I do wish that every man was required, at least once, to wear a bra and high heels around for a couple of hours, but that's another post.)

In the end, it doesn't matter how well a diaper works for the WAHM who made it, her testers, or her scores of loyal customers, if it doesn't work in MY house. Now, a mom with diapering experience should have a better chance at success than a single childless person, but I wouldn't let the fact that a person didn't have children stop me from buying their diapers if they worked well for us.
#20 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 01:17 AM

None of those things you mentioned bother me one bit, except, of course, if the person CLAIMED she had a child and didn't, because that's lying and just plain freaky.

I was a tester for someone who did not yet have a child (she never lied about it, though!). She went out of her way to get testers to make sure she had a quality product . . . and she didn't even charge us for the materials! I'm sure she took quite a loss by doing that.

I do enjoying thinking about the "love" that went into making a product, but if getting someone else to sew is actually more cost-efficient for the WAHM, I'd rather her have more $. WAHMs generally don't make enough as it is.

I'm guessing this thread is going to get moved soon . . .

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#21 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 04:37 AM

When I found out that a woman I bought from had a full-time job outside the home and was childless, I admit I was a bit taken aback, just because I had assumed all the diaper makin' women out there were at-home, cloth diaperin' mamas. But I bought from her again, and it's no big deal. I was just pretty surprised, and I had a lot of questions about how she ever came to think of starting a CDing online business, but of course I didn't ask. Also, she participated in the WAHMchicks charity auctions, but she's not a 'WAHM chick' so to speak, so I admit it crossed my mind as odd again then. But if she's got a quality product, and it works well for me, then I'll keep buying from her. I do feel more warm and fuzzy about buying from a WAHM, though.
#22 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 09:39 AM

Quote:
That's fine as long as she has testers. My biggest pet peeve about several diapermaking WAHMs these days are that everyone seems to have mostly girls, and soakers are so short or the diaper design doesn't reflect an upfront wetter as much as I'd like. Makes me wonder if all the testers had girl babies too!
:LOL I share that pet peeve!

Now as for the op's questions:

Does it bother you if the WAHM farms out the work to someone else? It doesn't as long as: a) is clearly stated on her website b)the quality is up to par c) she does "quality control" d)she still stands behind it.

What if you didn't realize it until after you ordered? Again, that depends...if I didn't realize because I didn't read her fine print page, then I may be a little disappointed, but would quickly get over it as that was my mistake for not reading all the info, but if she does not mention it on her site, then I would be pretty bothered when finding out later...only because I felt duped/lied to, kwim?

Yes...I don't mind is someone has an at home business, but calling oneself a WAHM and not having children is being misrepresentative.

It wouldn't bother me that she is a new mom as long as she isn't claiming to have other children (again, the lying/deception issue)
#23 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 09:54 AM

I would think it weird if a "wahm"would claim to be a wahm and did not have child number one. To me that would say she would be dishonest not just in that but probably take your money and run. Lots of scam artist on the internet and that doesn't say they can't pose as a wahm. Buyer beware.

I think it is the responsible thing to do to farm out work if the mom can not handle it on her own and she wants to grow her business and the demand is there for her product. We are all moms first (well, hopefully anyway) and if getting help sewing or flat out starting your own factory which I did (and I don't hide that fact) will help you continue to be as available of a parent as you can (because that is why wahms get into this in the first place) then so be it.

But by not being honest and up front about where the diapers are made or at best that someone else is making them or helping you or by taking all the credit yourself I think is dishonest and again, buyer beware.
#24 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
which I did (and I don't hide that fact) will help you continue to be as available of a parent as you can
thats the point in this that I see.
to not mention a word about it or to deny it is just wrong.
i personally dont have trouble with it to me its just like buying clothes from a department store. as long as the quality is there it does nit matter. BUT...i do find it odd if the women had no kids but was sewing baby diapers. /i asked my dh what he thought and even though he thought it was strange he too was ok with it. his take on it is...there are women working for major factories sewing jock straps....kwim
#25 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 01:04 PM

No, as long as the quality of the work is the same.

No.

Yes, if she calls herself a WAHM, because that is dishonest. I would have no problem purchasing items from someone that is not a WAHM as long as they representing themselves as someone they are not.

No!

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#26 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 01:10 PM

Nope

Does it bother you if you find out the "WAHM" doesn't have any children? Well to be a WAHM you kind of have to be a mom. But it wouldn't bother me if she were a work at home wife.

Or what about if she is a very new WAHM - new referring to maybe just having/had her first child? That wouldn't bother me.
#27 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 01:58 PM

Does it bother you if the WAHM farms out the work to someone else? Not at all, unless it is a custom order that I specifically requested from the WAHM.

What if you didn't realize it until after you ordered? Not unless it was the case I mentioned above

Does it bother you if you find out the "WAHM" doesn't have any children? Then she's not a WAHM! I dont think that doesnt mean someone cannot provide a quality product, but I would be VERY upset if someone represented themselves as WAHM and then I found out they had no children.

Or what about if she is a very new WAHM - new referring to maybe just having/had her first child? One child a WAHM can make! I think if her product is good quality and she did her research and testing, this wouldnt bother me at all.
#28 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 02:01 PM

If you are referring to a particular wahm who does not yet have children, as I do know of only one, I want to simply state this:

This particular wahm struggles with infertility and is trying to have children. She does work full time at the moment while building her business and trying to get pregnant. Her plan is to be able to have her business built enough to be able to stay home with the baby, when said baby arrives.

I am only saying this to clear some things up. I don't want others to think that a wahm is just sittin around sewing diapers and calling herself a wahm while she vacations in the bahamas without a care in the world about children or future children.

And, how can we say when a woman becomes a mom? Is it when the baby is conceived? Or is it when the baby's soul is waiting to be conceived? Did she become a mom when she was pregnant with her first child? Did she suddenly become a non-mom when she lost that child? I don't know... I'm not her.
#29 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 02:11 PM

ditto what Teri said
Quote:
And, how can we say when a woman becomes a mom? Is it when the baby is conceived? Or is it when the baby's soul is waiting to be conceived? Did she become a mom when she was pregnant with her first child? Did she suddenly become a non-mom when she lost that child? I don't know... I'm not her.
Well said Teri. As usual you have a way with putting my thoughts into words

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#30 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tree Huggin Hippie
i was thinking the same thing. we have a family friend that has had 4 children. 2 born at 23 weeks 5 days that both passed and 2 late miscarriages. i still consider her a mom and we send her a card on mothers day.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page