Do you sell knit/crocheted things? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much do you sell and how much do you knit?
Do you sell on-line? Or some other way?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#2 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM

:

I am getting ready to crochet some baby things to put in the local art co-op. Not sure how to price them though..looking for advice too.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#3 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

I just finished a couple of things, and I really like how they turned out! I could see myself selling these!

#4 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 PM

Cool! What did you make? Have you thought of listing them on Etsy?

#5 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
Cool! What did you make? Have you thought of listing them on Etsy?
Yes, I'm really considering... I think I'm going to spend Wednesday and Thursday knitting samples, with hope of setting something up by Friday.

#6 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 PM

I've thought about it, but I'm kind of nervous. It's one thing to knit items for my dc and their friends and to give as birthday or newborn gifts, but there's a part of me that doesn't think my work is good or finished enough to sell.

That said, I usually check on etsy for prices when I dream about selling.

So far I've made (and gotten good feedback on):
  • fingerless gloves
  • newborn roll hats
  • cupcake hats
  • ribbed winter hats

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#7 of 17 Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM

I make knitted children's hats and scarves that I have sold at craft fairs, and am probably going to add them to my HC in the next couple of months. I figure out how long it took me to make the item, multiply that by what I think would be a decent wage in this area for that, and double the retail cost of my supplies and add it to the hourly payment and that's what I charge.

People are willing to pay a premium for handknit items that are made well and with quality materials.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#8 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do and I sell them on etsy. I keep to simple practical inexpensive things (as that is the theme of my store) like socks (one pattern I do well, gender neutral), one baby kimono (gender neutral) hats, and shopping bags (again, one pattern I do well). oh and dish cloths......

anyway...yeah etsy is a good place to sell those sorts of things.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well... I have a plan.

I really think I'm doing very well as far as producing high quality crocheted items goes (will try to stay away from synthetics as soon as I'll use up the yarn).

I'm going to switch exclusively to baby items, and once I have at least 10-15 items done, I will open up either an etsy shop or set up a weebly store. It seems like baby things would be in demand year round, they are cheaper and quicker to make, AND it resolves my problem of what to do with things that won't sell - if no one wants my stuff, at least my sister will have lots of knit things for her twin boys come January.

I also will get an advertisement siggy over here. Not sure how else to promote it at the moment?..

All of this is hopefully will be set up within a week. Thank you so much for all the advice and wisdom!

Please wish me luck!

#10 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 02:14 PM

Awesome! Go you!!!!

#11 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 02:37 PM

what kind of stuff for babies are you going to be making. Etsy has A LOT of people doing baby socks and hats and booties etc even simple sweaters. for the very same reasons you are. and the people who crochet sell them for cheap. like crazy cheap. I don't even know how they cover the cost of thier yarn. knitted stuff seems to go for higher prices. Also don't under etimate the value of good quality acrylic. My #1 knitted item is made from acrylic. people seem to like that for baby stuff also vegans often prefer acrylic. however I use a nice, non plasticy feeling acrylic (caron simply soft, stay away from red heart).

a very ignored group on etsy for apparel is the 4-12 year old set. Something you might want to consider. only slightly more work but a lot less competition. especially for knitted/crocheted stuff (good luck finding any kind of patterns for this group. it seems like everyone ignores these groups). I think most of my custom sock purchases have been for childrens socks. toddler and preschooler.

most of the baby stuff in my store is baby gifts that did not get given or extras and such,using up yarn remnants....but i think there is a really a market for that after baby phase.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 02:38 PM

oh and definitely get a signature advertising package here no matter what you do. It is so cheap and I have gotten a good deal of feedback and traffic from mine.

#13 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 03:29 PM

That is sooo true on the 4-12 yo age range.
(There are virtually NO sweaters for boys 4+ on Etsy, I've been looking for some for DS in size 7!)

#14 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 03:32 PM

all my custom stuff has also been for boys.

#15 of 17 Old 11-28-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

another twist... I ended up with making a few crocheted toys. This is a fun journey. I am a little worried if anyone out there will like this stuff, now that I have at least 6 little projects completed, I feel better about it.

#16 of 17 Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 PM

Maybe you can find some "testers"? This is what I do when I am unsure about an item. Just give a sample or two away and then ask for feedback in return. As a bonus if your tester likes the item word of mouth gets around quickly! It's worth it IMHO as to not have 20 of something you won't sell. It's also good for quality control.

I am making cupcake scarves currently. They seem to be a HUGE hit thus far! Even my son wants one! and my friends teenager. and my sister.. (well you get the idea!) so I will definitely be making a few to sell..

The baby items I want to make next for the co-op are bright and unconventional colors (NO pastels here!)..Just need to find a good source for yarn..I may just start spinning & dyeing though this winter! Good excuse to get exatcly what I want for my projects,eh?

#17 of 17 Old 11-28-2009, 06:42 PM

toys are always a good bet !!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page