I need to WAH, but I don't have a talent. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've noticed that most of you WAH mamas are selling your beautiful art, jewelry, and crafts. I do not do anything like this (at least not well). I'm currently stay at home and would like to keep it that way. My partners job is looking kind of unstable right now (he works on commission) and we are starting to get scared. That, and there is talk that his daughter (my step daughter) might want to come live with us. I need to make some kind of money. Are there any "WORK AT HOME!!!" gigs that are for real?
Please help! Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any real legit ones that you can actually support yourself on take time. Anything with computers takes time and money to learn (either in school or self taught), medical transscription takes school, clothes/diapers takes learning how to sew and the money to do get started, any selling like Avon takes a ton of "selling", you have to know people and really put yourself and your product out there to make it work.

Can your partner go to school to increase his skills, or learn new ones?

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 AM

Childcare.

I'd love to see more ideas too!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:13 AM

If you have a high speed internet connection and you are an American citizen who lives in the U.S, you can go to kgb.com and scroll to the bottom of the page and click " become an agent", take the test ( You can take it as many times as needed and not count against you, use google for the test!!) and then you will be able to make a little money if you get hired. ( Which is likely, we are really busy!)

It is a legit job and I have been working it in my off time.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Old 12-05-2009, 04:28 AM

i was going to say kgb.com or chacha.com. same kind of job.

its not EXACTLY wah stuff, but if u have a reliable u can get a paper route. i had one when i was single with my ds1 and i had to work about 2-3 hrs a morning (like 2am to 4 or 5am while he slept n didn't need to be nursed. sometimes i even brought him in the car with me.) and it was $320 a week.

i also recently heard of momslikeme.com (totally no moms actually like me on there, but what the hey? lmao) they pay their moderators. so you check your area to see if they have openings. besides moderator duties, the expect you to recruit new members, and go to parenting-type events in your area (on their dime) and talk people into signing up. its just a forum as far as i can tell...

also, any skills you DO have. everything from doing laundry to child care can be sold on craigslist. OR you can, like me now, dumpster dive and resell on craigslist. lol. we've paid rent for the month on just one bulk pickup night. (and you get to keep stuff out of landfills to boot.)

staying at home takes sacrifice for some people. for our family, it just takes creativity. i wouldn't be happy if my bf had to work like ALL the time, or if he was like in school half at night and then working all day and we never got to see him... we need each other too much. so we come up with WEIRD ideas to make money... and it gets us by... (i own my own business now, and do all of the work from home or with kids in tow. but still stay on the old faithfuls for things like, oh, i don't know... broken arms? hair dye? christmas??? lol)

GOOD LUCK!

~veezie~ treehugger.gif intactlact.gifjammin.gif mama to julien (1.6.06) geek.gif, lennon (2.15.08) nut.gif, & triton (12.20.09) blahblah.gif. expecting #4 (5.2012) 2ndtri.gif

Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM

I've made a LOT of money going through a popular adult chat line and creating a just friends listing. I still do it from time to time. Personally, I find it kind of mentally exhausting to keep up with the regulars and, honestly, most of them are kind of creepy. I just so happen to be a very good conversationalist and know how to keep my distance, and that helps. If you can't prattle on with ease or ignore weirdness, it's probably not for you. On the other hand, the price is right to make a couple hundred a month extra if you can hack it for a few hours. If anyone is curious I'll post the links, but I'm not gonna go there if nobody is, kwim?

I am really curious about the kgb.com and chacha.com deals though. Anyone that does it, how much do you work and how much do you make? Is it difficult? Is it worth the effort? I looked at both websites and I think they look pretty cool. I saw something about someone netting around $5 an hour at ChaCha. But if that's the high end I don't know if I could sit at the computer all day for $2-3 an hour. TIA
Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post
I am really curious about the kgb.com and chacha.com deals though. Anyone that does it, how much do you work and how much do you make? Is it difficult? Is it worth the effort? I looked at both websites and I think they look pretty cool. I saw something about someone netting around $5 an hour at ChaCha. But if that's the high end I don't know if I could sit at the computer all day for $2-3 an hour. TIA
i do chacha. its between .10 and .20 per question. if you work it just right you can get steady questions. work peak hours which are usually around "after school" hours, late nights, early mornings... there's tons of help from other guides on how to make the most money. i personally haven't done it in a hot minute cos i am working my own thing. but i have a friend who was making $200-300 a month... i think there are more lucrative things to do... BUT it IS fun. you just look up answers to questions on the internet. thanks to doing chacha i can basically find anything on the internet now. and you learn a bunch of weird random facts... felt like i was using my brain more than in some sah jobs...

~veezie~ treehugger.gif intactlact.gifjammin.gif mama to julien (1.6.06) geek.gif, lennon (2.15.08) nut.gif, & triton (12.20.09) blahblah.gif. expecting #4 (5.2012) 2ndtri.gif

Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM

Thanks VeezieTG! I signed up with them last night, but haven't taken the test yet. The only option they had for "roles" was "expediter"... It garners less "points" but I think stays busier? *shrug* What is your role on ChaCha, if you don't mind me asking?

I did think it looks like fun, not difficult by any stretch. I'm definitely gonna give it a shot and see how it works out. Maybe between ChaCha and my other schemes I can make life a little cushier.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post
What is your role on ChaCha, if you don't mind me asking?
i am a guide. but expediter would be cool, too. you get to take in the questions and "translate" them and help the guides know where to find the answers, i believe. i don't know what the pay is for that position. but i love the expediters cos they make everything run smoothly!

yeah, before i really started nailing it with my biz, i was doing a bunch of different things, and i could earn as much as my bf. help with the bills, do a little extra fun stuff with the kids, pedicure for me.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 PM

I have done well writing web content for ad revenue on ehow. Of course, ehow is glitchy and you need to learn some things about writing for the web, but with work you can get up to $400 a month.

The nice thing about ehow is you don't have to be there to make money. You write it and it makes money all on its own.

Assuming of course, you know how to write for the web.

There are other sites similar to ehow (i.e. infobarrel, xomba, hubpages etc...) but ehow seems to pay the best.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:07 PM

ChaCha sounds kind of like Amazon's "Mechanical Turk".

How about freelance web writing? It's easy to break into and you don't need to invest any $$.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
ChaCha sounds kind of like Amazon's "Mechanical Turk".

How about freelance web writing? It's easy to break into and you don't need to invest any $$.
how do you break into that?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

Old 12-07-2009, 06:28 PM

Very easily. You can do a search online for "content writing" (you should come up with tons of tutorials) or PM me and I can send you some links and info.. There are about a dozen sites that pay per piece. (also pay per page view) You won't get rich but I know several people making a few hundred a week. I easily make $10-20 an hour part time.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Very easily. You can do a search online for "content writing" (you should come up with tons of tutorials) or PM me and I can send you some links and info.. There are about a dozen sites that pay per piece. (also pay per page view) You won't get rich but I know several people making a few hundred a week. I easily make $10-20 an hour part time.
Huh. I have a master's degree in Education and an undergrad in biology - my only real writing experience has been in these fields, for school (some master's work in biology, too). I mean, I've done extensive writing for those degrees, but most of it was techinical, you know? I was browsing some stuff, but they all seem to ask for degrees in journalism (or related field)... or for some sort of portfolio... so, uh, how does this work.

Ok, maybe I shouldn't threadjack.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 PM

I think www.constant-content.com is the highest paying site as far as web content goes. (you basically are able to set your own price)

Right now I am making about $150 a day for 5-6 hours of work via Demand Studios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
I have done well writing web content for ad revenue on ehow. Of course, ehow is glitchy and you need to learn some things about writing for the web, but with work you can get up to $400 a month.

The nice thing about ehow is you don't have to be there to make money. You write it and it makes money all on its own.

Assuming of course, you know how to write for the web.

There are other sites similar to ehow (i.e. infobarrel, xomba, hubpages etc...) but ehow seems to pay the best.

V

Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 PM

I did a little writing for Associated Content...didn't make much, but I still get paid a little every month from page views. I'd like to write for eHow but haven't been inspired yet. Any good places to find topics?

I also work for kgb, but the most I've been able to make is $3 an hour because I do it when I'm home alone with the kids and I'm constantly interrupted by them. I just signed up for ChaCha, so I'll be back to let you all know if it's easier to make money with them than kgb. The auto-answer system looks better on ChaCha...we'll see!

Definitely watching this thread for more ideas!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Juvysen- sent you a PM

I still love Associated Content (I'm a featured contributor over there) but they don't pay much upfront. I average about $4-5 per piece which takes me about 10-15 min. each to write. Though I do get higher offers on targeted assignments. (Around $8) You could make several hundred dollars a month in page views alone and that's not uncommon at all if you work at promoting yourself.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:55 PM

Subbing. I need to make some money and I really don't want to have to go out and get a job I hate. I am also interested in writing and web-based jobs.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM

You could also try tutoring. I was recently checking into home schooling my child and discovered that you only need the equivalent of a high school education to qualify as a home school tutor, per state law. Being an after-school tutor would be easier, I'd think. I don't know anything about how much they make, but I'm sure you can find plenty of info on the web.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwyntoo View Post
You could also try tutoring. I was recently checking into home schooling my child and discovered that you only need the equivalent of a high school education to qualify as a home school tutor, per state law. Being an after-school tutor would be easier, I'd think. I don't know anything about how much they make, but I'm sure you can find plenty of info on the web.
I tutor and would caution you on thinking it's easy. It's actually really tough and you tend to end up working with kids who have undiagnosed or ignored learning differences. Plus, finding a good fit between tutor and student is not easy. I get 'offers' of students with anger management issues and depression who are described as 'uncooperative' quite a lot. Some of them I can help, most I can't reach but it's always exhausting regardless. I feel like I'm trying to save lost souls and when it doesn't work out, it's agonizing because I know that's one more step down the ladder for these kids.

And at least in my area, parents and school systems favor tutors with at least a BA. I don't know, even if it's okay in your state, that a H.S. diploma would be competitive. You would need to research that and see how you could create a niche for yourself.

The 'easy' clients are the ones where the parents have professional careers with stable incomes. Their kids are usually well behaved and everyone is invested in success at school, but these families go first to agencies and last to freelancers--they buy into the 'tutor brand' ime.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Huh. I have a master's degree in Education and an undergrad in biology - my only real writing experience has been in these fields, for school (some master's work in biology, too). I mean, I've done extensive writing for those degrees, but most of it was techinical, you know? I was browsing some stuff, but they all seem to ask for degrees in journalism (or related field)... or for some sort of portfolio... so, uh, how does this work.

Ok, maybe I shouldn't threadjack.
The ad revenue sites, you just sign up and write. That's it.

But you have to learn about SEO and keywords. Click on the Niche Momma link in my siggy for resources and info.

Personally, I would start at ehow. For many reasons that are too numerous to get into here. But primarily because you don't need your own adsense account and it's a good place to start--the people on the forums are friendly, there are ebooks on ehow, free tutorials on blogs, articles earn quickly so there's immediate positive feedback on the work put in.

From there you can branch out into private clients, writing for Demand Studios etc..

I would not start at Demand Studios until I had some experience at one of the ad revenue sites under my belt. DS is a whole 'nother learning curve, I would want to understand SEO and keywords pretty well before diving in there.

V

Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Hi rainbowmoon, would you mind if I pmd you with some questions? I was looking into Constant Content and some other things online last night and wondered if I could get some btdt perspective.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalivia View Post
Hi rainbow moon, would you mind if I pmd you with some questions? I was looking into Constant Content and some other things online last night and wondered if I could get some btdt perspective.

Thanks!
I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences, too.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:32 PM

subbing for writing ideas.

I tried elance but never made any money at it. I've written my own ebook about Moving to Argentina and was working towards a Masters in pr and marketing with a BA in environmental studies before I realized I didn't want to do the corporate life.

I definitely want to hear more about the writing people are doing because short targeted projects are the best for me.

What are these 10-15 minute articles about?

Forgot to add that I need some income asap. DH is heading to Europe to take care of his mom for a couple of months because she has cancer. I have a dog sitting gig but have to drag dd out three times a day to drive there. Our other biz is super slow right now so I really need some ideas I can do from home.

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM

I started my own business from home 16 months ago, because I saw a gap in the market here in the UK. Not sure if I am allowed to put in this link or not, so mods please remove it if it is not appropriate:
www.littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk

It cost us £3500 to start up, but has now grown to the stage that I can stay at home full time, and earn a 'wage' from it, equivilant to working in the 'outside world' but without putting as many man hours in.

Little Acorns to Mighty Oaks Non-Toxic Products for children. The UK home to Klean Kanteen, Natural Nattursutten pacifiers,The Safe Sippy, SPF30 Badger Sunscreen and much more!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post
I started my own business from home 16 months ago, because I saw a gap in the market here in the UK. Not sure if I am allowed to put in this link or not, so mods please remove it if it is not appropriate:
www.littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk

It cost us £3500 to start up, but has now grown to the stage that I can stay at home full time, and earn a 'wage' from it, equivilant to working in the 'outside world' but without putting as many man hours in.
can i ask if you stock directly or if they are drop shipped to customers? if you dont' want to answer in the forum would you mind pming me? ws a lot of your initial cost from the website which is quite nice and is obvioulsy not a template.

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 AM

My dh and I both work at home doing call center work. I have worked for West@Home for over a year now and love them. They were hiring in December, but I am not sure if they are right now. My dh worked a temp job for Alpine Access and they are currently hiring, but they have not been the greatest to work for. Money comes on time and you will eventually get some to contact you if you have issues, but only via email. I know there are also other places that do work at home call center jobs. My dh has a job lined up with a local company that does magazine calls, but he doesn't know if he will be in the training class starting on the 4th or the next class which is getting stressful for us. I would suggest checking out rat race rebellion and check their daily job leads to see what else you can find.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post
can i ask if you stock directly or if they are drop shipped to customers? if you dont' want to answer in the forum would you mind pming me? ws a lot of your initial cost from the website which is quite nice and is obvioulsy not a template.
The cost of setting up the website was only the cost of the hosting, my DH taught himself how to code a site, and built the whole site for the business himself.

Of the initial set up cost about £3000 went on stock, and £500 went on set up costs ie insurance, hosting, reserving our name at companies house, phoneline, domain names etc.

We do not dropship, we hold all the stock on site, and run the business completely out of our family home.

Little Acorns to Mighty Oaks Non-Toxic Products for children. The UK home to Klean Kanteen, Natural Nattursutten pacifiers,The Safe Sippy, SPF30 Badger Sunscreen and much more!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 PM

For those doing kgb (I just signed up a couple weeks ago after reading this thread!), they are having crazy wage differentials during Super Bowl in a few weeks. So make sure you sign up!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.

User Tag List